Booster Seat--The Works? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just found it on the graco website. the Nautilus is 20" wide - that's 3" wider than the radian. my current configuration of three seats - one Safeseat that is 19", one Radian 65 that is 17", and an Evenflo Chase that is 17" - that's 53" total... the configuration of seats i'm considering (Radian 65 for the baby RF, and two Nautilus' for the 3 and 5 yo) would be 57"... it's seems pretty tight in there as it is, though there is a couple inches between edge of carseat and edge of actual seat on each side. would a store like Target (if they have the Nautilus) let me try them in the car before i bought them?

i have latch for the two outboard seats but not the middle. but atm i have them installed with the seatbelts anyway because when we bought the car i forgot all about latch (my old car didn't have it at all) and i prefer to keep the baby behind the driver's seat if possible because 1) it's easier for me to get her in and out, and 2) i don't want DS messing with the baby. and i really don't want to put DD1 in the third row because not only does it mean loss of major trunk space but she can buckle herself into a harness just fine but can't get herself out, so i'd have to climb back there every time we got out of the car, which doesn't thrill me.

hmmm.... must go measure my back seat
#32 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I went and looked at the Nautilus and I thought the fabric on it seemed low quality. Like it wouldn't last very long. ....Has anyone had a Nautilus for a period of time and can say how well or not the fabric holds up. I read some reviews but those are usually written too soon after the purchase to determine the longevity of the fabric.
we have a nautilus from babies r us. it is i think 2 months old now? the cover is already falling apart around one of the shoulders. the whole things seems pretty crappy to me - not just 'not a britax' but not even as 'nice' as the evenflo, other graco, cosco, or recaro that we have had. i am pretty dissappointed in it, but for the price it will make a decent extra seat for us.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#33 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 02:24 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post
Yes, I forgot to include her stats! DD is 3.5, 39" and 38lbs. The weight limit on her Evenflo Triumph Convertible is 40lbs or 40" tall.

We measured her this morning and realized we still have a little time to buy her a booster b/c she isn´t quite at the limit yet.

It sounds like from the discussion that a full-flegded booster is best for toddlers in terms of safety and comfort. I guess I´ll start looking at which ones last the longest now!

Thanks!

Think about a Britax Regent..........with one of those, you can keep her in a 5-point harness for a long time.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#34 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 11:22 PM

okay, I'm currently just jealous of all the choices you have in the US. Off to sulk now... (though we do have a frontier for our 3.5 yr old and we really like it. It's a HUGE seat compared to our Marathon and it's in our tiny Tercel but the baby needed a convertible and I'd rather buy a combo for our 3.5 yr old than a 2nd convertible. We were within an inch of outgrowing the harness height with our 3.5 yr old on the Marathon anyway... she's freakishly tall in the torso!)

OP, I think you're making a great choice to do high weight harness/ booster seats for your kids. This way you get a great booster but also get to keep your child safely in a harness for awhile too.
#35 of 43 Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post
(though we do have a frontier for our 3.5 yr old and we really like it. It's a HUGE seat compared to our Marathon
Really? I found that we reclaimed a lot of back seat real estate when we swapped the Marathon out for a Frontier. It's a bit taller, sure, but not even that much since the Marathon sits up on a big base and the Frontier's seat is lower. (A fact which my son points out pretty much every time he gets in our car after riding in his Marathon in my mom's car. ;-)
#36 of 43 Old 09-07-2008, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post
okay, I'm currently just jealous of all the choices you have in the US. Off to sulk now... (though we do have a frontier for our 3.5 yr old and we really like it. It's a HUGE seat compared to our Marathon and it's in our tiny Tercel but the baby needed a convertible and I'd rather buy a combo for our 3.5 yr old than a 2nd convertible. We were within an inch of outgrowing the harness height with our 3.5 yr old on the Marathon anyway... she's freakishly tall in the torso!)

OP, I think you're making a great choice to do high weight harness/ booster seats for your kids. This way you get a great booster but also get to keep your child safely in a harness for awhile too.
i know it sucks im in canada also... but atleast whe have radian i favor it because of how small it is width wise and it gives so much room.

if your dd was with in a inch of outgrowing the height on the marathon which is 16". you might like the radian it slots are 18". this would give you lots of space in the backseat.
#37 of 43 Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 PM

At 3.5 years old a child needs a harnessed seat.

I'll echo the other posters and say that I would get the Graco Nautilus. It will keep her harnessed for a long time and then convert to a good highback booster, and then a backless.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#38 of 43 Old 09-07-2008, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
we have a nautilus from babies r us. it is i think 2 months old now? the cover is already falling apart around one of the shoulders. the whole things seems pretty crappy to me - not just 'not a britax' but not even as 'nice' as the evenflo, other graco, cosco, or recaro that we have had. i am pretty dissappointed in it, but for the price it will make a decent extra seat for us.
We have the original Nautilus from Walmart. The fabric looks like new. It's the mesh-type fabric. We got our seat in January, I think.
#39 of 43 Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethNC View Post
We have the original Nautilus from Walmart. The fabric looks like new. It's the mesh-type fabric. We got our seat in January, I think.
We have a Nauti from Walmart that we bought in July and it still looks fine, even though it's been through the wash several times. I have seen pictures though of other peoples' Nautis having snags or rips in the covers after only a couple of months. My tether strap broke last month

CPST & mom

#40 of 43 Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM

i've seen the walmart one and the target one in person. babies r us didn't have one on display when i bought our's. the babies r us one we have (all light grey colored) is way worse than the other fabrics i've seen (imo). if we weren't desperate due to a broken buckle on our young sport i would have returned it.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#41 of 43 Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Wow. That stinks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays intact. I haven't removed it, though. I probably should...or maybe not. I don't want it to get ruined.

My car is older so I don't tether the seat. So, for now, that's not a concern.
#42 of 43 Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post
"works"--head support, cup holder, etc.
DH saw one of these the other day and murdered "cheese and rice" while pushing the the holders back in in disgust! He's funny about what he considers " excessive laziness"

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#43 of 43 Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 AM

The frontier covers are removable, but the mesh does not do well vs a kid's shoe buckles.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page