Booster Seat--The Works? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning to buy a booster seat for dd in the next week and have been debating whether to just buy the bare bones one that just basically lifts the child or the "works"--head support, cup holder, etc.

She is just about at the height limit for the seat, which is 40inches and demonstrates a readiness for the booster, however I am not sure how comfortable the "bare bones" model would be for her--and more importantly how safe?

I've ready that the Graco Booster is the best, in any case.

What do you all think about this one?

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#2 of 43 Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok i will be the first.... how old is your dd? what is her weight? you said "She is just about at the height limit for the seat, which is 40inches" how tall is she?
#3 of 43 Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 PM

Another thing to think about is if dd still falls asleep in the car. We decided to go with the Graco with the full back and head rest because he still does sometimes. He is 4 and over 40 inches.
#4 of 43 Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We have bare bones here--but my kids are older and frequently travel with others. The bare bones one is easy to grab and go. It does have a cup holder.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 43 Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 PM

First- harnessed is safer. Second- 4yrs, 40lbs is the bare minimum when a booster can be considered (5yrs+ is better)

-Angela
#6 of 43 Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 PM

i would keep her harnessed as long as possible. what is the booster that harnesses to the max? im not sure, but thats what i would get. im sure a CPST will weigh in on that (i dont have a smaller child in a booster).
#7 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would get her a nautilus and use it to the limit of the harness. At 40" she should have a few more years left in the harness (my ds is 41 inches and has plenty). Then it converts to a booster.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 AM
ssh

My DD is about to reach her carseat's height limit. She's 33 months. We're cutting back on our holiday spending so we can get a Radian 80. The idea of putting my wiggly little wild child in anything less than a 5 point harness is too scary. It goes up to 52" and 80 lbs. so we may not ever need a booster.
#9 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
My DD is about to reach her carseat's height limit. She's 33 months. We're cutting back on our holiday spending so we can get a Radian 80. The idea of putting my wiggly little wild child in anything less than a 5 point harness is too scary. It goes up to 52" and 80 lbs. so we may not ever need a booster.
You'll definitely still need a booster. It will be outgrown by height far before weight.

-Angela
#10 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
You'll definitely still need a booster. It will be outgrown by height far before weight.
:

In fact... the Radian65 and Radian80 have the same height parameters, so you might as well get the 65 unless your child tends strongly toward the heavy. Even the Radian65 is usually outgrown by height before weight, and it has among the highest strap slots in convertibles.
#11 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 AM

It's not just a either or consideration with backless vs. high back boosters. Nor is it about cup holders. Things to consider... High backs provide additional side impact protection, they help route the seat belt properly, they help keep snoozing kids in place properly. You should also consider if you have head restraints to protect your child's neck in a crash. If not, a reinforced high back will provide that critical support. Not all boosters (or car seats) have reinforced seat backs, so if that is a concern take some time to do some research! Graco TurboBoosters are a perfectly fine option and usually have good belt paths. Now, all of that said, please let me reiterate that 4 and 40 is the bare minimum for boosters and children are safer in harnesssed seats as long as possible.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#12 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
High backs provide additional side impact protection, they help route the seat belt properly, they help keep snoozing kids in place properly.
My understanding is that if kids are sleeping in the car they still need to be in a harness.

-Angela
#13 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that if kids are sleeping in the car they still need to be in a harness.

-Angela
I would say if they fall asleep regulatly, yes, they need a booster. AJ fell asleep in his booster last week (spare seat for rare ocassions) and it was fine.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#14 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I forgot to include her stats! DD is 3.5, 39" and 38lbs. The weight limit on her Evenflo Triumph Convertible is 40lbs or 40" tall.

We measured her this morning and realized we still have a little time to buy her a booster b/c she isn´t quite at the limit yet.

It sounds like from the discussion that a full-flegded booster is best for toddlers in terms of safety and comfort. I guess I´ll start looking at which ones last the longest now!

Thanks!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#15 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 04:45 PM

You need a harnessing seat, not a booster.

Top choices would be

least expensive- nautilus
similar to nautilus- frontier

Bigger harnessing seats- regent and safeguard (I LOVE the safeguard, but it's pricey)

-Angela
#16 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 04:50 PM

I wouldn't have my kids in a booster until at least 5 years old, and then would do a high back booster with side impact. My son is 5 and is the Britax Regent. He's at least 50lbs and at least 46". I'll probably have to switch him due to a super long torso right before he turns 6. There is absolutely no way I'd put a 3 or 4 year old in a booster.
#17 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 05:22 PM

i would suggest the Radian 65, especially if your child is only 3.5. most 3.5 yo's are way to squirmy to sit properly in a booster IMO. And like Ironica said, it's got nice high shoulder straps. I've got my 5 yo 41.5" 42lb daughter in one and she is very comfortable. it's also much slimmer than most convertible seats which was important to me because i have to seat three across. i'm going to be getting one for my DS before the end of the year. Or another option might be the Fisher Price Safe Voyage. It's made by Britax, but it's only like $130 and goes up to 55 lbs. can't remember now what the height limit is. maybe someone else can weigh in. i've got to measure my back seat to make sure it'll fit, but i think i'm going to get one of those for DD2, and then when she outgrows it she'll be able to move into DD1's Radian 65, as i'm sure by then DD1 will be too big and need a booster for sure.
#18 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 05:24 PM

I would not recomend a booster for a 3.5 year old, unless you are using the term booster to include harnessed seats that convert to a booster. You need a high weight harnessing seat like the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier. The Nautilus is your cheapest and best option, IMO. It will harness for a good long time, to 65lbs and 18" of torso height, then convert to a high back booster and then a low back booster. Kids under 4 or 5 just can't sit properly in a booster for an entire ride, every time, like they have to to be safe.

As far as sleeping--yes, kids that are sleeping alot should be in harnessed seats. I would go on to say that it depends on the child. My DD very rarely falls asleep in the car and when she does it's lightly, so if she was in a booster, I wouldn't say that sleeping is a concern for us. Now I know there as some kids that just crash out in the car every ride, sleeping soundly would cause them to slip out of position in their boosters.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#19 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
i would suggest the Radian 65, especially if your child is only 3.5. most 3.5 yo's are way to squirmy to sit properly in a booster IMO. And like Ironica said, it's got nice high shoulder straps. I've got my 5 yo 41.5" 42lb daughter in one and she is very comfortable. it's also much slimmer than most convertible seats which was important to me because i have to seat three across. i'm going to be getting one for my DS before the end of the year. Or another option might be the Fisher Price Safe Voyage. It's made by Britax, but it's only like $130 and goes up to 55 lbs. can't remember now what the height limit is. maybe someone else can weigh in. i've got to measure my back seat to make sure it'll fit, but i think i'm going to get one of those for DD2, and then when she outgrows it she'll be able to move into DD1's Radian 65, as i'm sure by then DD1 will be too big and need a booster for sure.
No need to get a convertible for a child who is already over 35lbs. Better to get a ff seat that harnesses even higher than a radian.

-Angela
#20 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I would reccomend a Nautilus too. That's what we have for our 5.5yo, he's 45# and 43". It will last longer than the Radian and it's cheaper.

Check your seat. Your dd has outgrown it when she hits 40# OR her shoulders go over the top slot OR the tops of her ears go over the back of the seat. AJ outgrew most 40" seats well before 40".

#21 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
You need a harnessing seat, not a booster.

Top choices would be

least expensive- nautilus
similar to nautilus- frontier

Bigger harnessing seats- regent and safeguard (I LOVE the safeguard, but it's pricey)

-Angela
I went and looked at the Nautilus and I thought the fabric on it seemed low quality. Like it wouldn't last very long. I haven't seen the Frontier in person but I assume they use the same fabric as they do for their carseat covers which for our convertibles, after two years the fabric looks just as good as the day we bought them.

Has anyone had a Nautilus for a period of time and can say how well or not the fabric holds up. I read some reviews but those are usually written too soon after the purchase to determine the longevity of the fabric.
#22 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I went and looked at the Nautilus and I thought the fabric on it seemed low quality. Like it wouldn't last very long. I haven't seen the Frontier in person but I assume they use the same fabric as they do for their carseat covers which for our convertibles, after two years the fabric looks just as good as the day we bought them.

Has anyone had a Nautilus for a period of time and can say how well or not the fabric holds up. I read some reviews but those are usually written too soon after the purchase to determine the longevity of the fabric.
Interesting. I've not seen the nautilus in person. Seen the frontier briefly. Problem is that the nautilus hasn't been out that long so NO one has had one in use very long.

-Angela
#23 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

The Nautilus hasn't been out all that long, but Graco seats usually hold up reasonably well. The Frontier covers are mesh, not the plush that's on the convertibles.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#24 of 43 Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
The Nautilus hasn't been out all that long, but Graco seats usually hold up reasonably well. The Frontier covers are mesh, not the plush that's on the convertibles.
Hmmm, I really wish I could see a Frontier. Are they removable covers on the Frontier?
#25 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 12:50 AM

Personally, I wouldn't get a frontier right now. Moms I know on another careseat board are having issues with the harness sliding off of the splitter plate when loosening. The danger in this is if you loosen and then tighten and it seems to tighten, and then you get in a wreck and one side of the splitter plate is not connected to the strap. Scary! Britax has been notified, transport Canada has actually taken a frontier that was doing this for testing, but nothing official has been done yet.

As for the nautilus, I haven't used mine that long, but the fabric seems fine.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#26 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, I really wish I could see a Frontier. Are they removable covers on the Frontier?
Yes, the cover is removable.

Also... the center section of the cover is mesh; the rest of it is more like their other covers. It's a pretty good-quality seeming mesh though.

Though... I just opened the box on our new Nautilus that we bought for the nanny's car... and the material is pretty similar to the Frontier ;-). So you might not find it satisfactory.
#27 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 09:39 AM

I've heard of more problems w/ the fabric on the Frontier cover than I have on the Nautilus. We just got our new Nautilus, but I know there are 4 or so different covers for it, ours is the Reese pattern (from Target) and it's the nice, soft fabric. AJ likes it better than the Bravo one he had.

#28 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Yes, the cover is removable.

Also... the center section of the cover is mesh; the rest of it is more like their other covers. It's a pretty good-quality seeming mesh though.

Though... I just opened the box on our new Nautilus that we bought for the nanny's car... and the material is pretty similar to the Frontier ;-). So you might not find it satisfactory.
Thanks for that...this definitely helps.
#29 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 01:36 PM

don't mean to hijack, but anyone know how wide the Nautilus is compared to the Radian? After reading this thread I'm reconsidering my options, but i've got to seat three across and wondering if two Natilus' and one Radian would fit across the back seat. I've got a '05 Toyota Highlander, which has a third row but i don't want to use it on a daily basis because it swallows up so much of the nice big trunk.
#30 of 43 Old 09-06-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
don't mean to hijack, but anyone know how wide the Nautilus is compared to the Radian? After reading this thread I'm reconsidering my options, but i've got to seat three across and wondering if two Natilus' and one Radian would fit across the back seat. I've got a '05 Toyota Highlander, which has a third row but i don't want to use it on a daily basis because it swallows up so much of the nice big trunk.

I'm not sure on how much wider it is, but it definitely is wider. I can try to measure later today.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page