If your child can buckle and unbuckle themsevles - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 43 Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 PM
 
an_aurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 6,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At that age, provided she sits properly, I'd get her a booster with good SIP. If you aren't comfortable with her in a booster, get a Nautilus. I understand your frustration--we bought a Radian because DD is so tall, then later a Regent and that didn't work so we bought a Nautilus. It's a lot of seats and a lot of money.

CPST & mom

an_aurora is offline  
#32 of 43 Old 09-08-2008, 01:45 PM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so you already have a booster...... So..if she is nearly 5 and 50 pounds, and will sit correctly in the seat and not unbuckle herself WHILE the car is moving, there is no reason that her being in a booster isn't an acceptable choice. 5/50 is a lot longer than most kids are harnessed, and all the available data seems to agree that at that weight and age, A booster is not significantly worse than a harnessed seat, provided it is used correctly. You might want to consider "locking" her seatbelt, if your vehicle does that, to ensure she stays in place.

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
#33 of 43 Old 09-08-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Okay, so you already have a booster...... So..if she is nearly 5 and 50 pounds, and will sit correctly in the seat and not unbuckle herself WHILE the car is moving, there is no reason that her being in a booster isn't an acceptable choice. 5/50 is a lot longer than most kids are harnessed, and all the available data seems to agree that at that weight and age, A booster is not significantly worse than a harnessed seat, provided it is used correctly. You might want to consider "locking" her seatbelt, if your vehicle does that, to ensure she stays in place.
She will be 5 in four months and she is 46 lbs. I would assume my car doesn't lock the seat belt as I have never heard of such a thing.
aniT is offline  
#34 of 43 Old 09-08-2008, 01:57 PM
 
an_aurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 6,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
She will be 5 in four months and she is 46 lbs. I would assume my car doesn't lock the seat belt as I have never heard of such a thing.
If your car is newer than 1996 the seatbelt does lock, either at the latchplate or at the retractor. How do you have her current seat secured?

CPST & mom

an_aurora is offline  
#35 of 43 Old 09-08-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
If your car is newer than 1996 the seatbelt does lock, either at the latchplate or at the retractor. How do you have her current seat secured?
LATCH. I thought she meant it locked so that she couldn't unbuckle it.

I have no idea how to keep it locked. It locks when you jerk it.. but you just have to let it back some and it unlocks.
aniT is offline  
#36 of 43 Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM
 
an_aurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 6,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you pull the seatbelt all the way out slowly until you reach the end, then feed it back in a little, you should hear clicking and that means the belt is locked. You won't be able to pull it out further without letting it retract all the way in.

CPST & mom

an_aurora is offline  
#37 of 43 Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 AM
 
Ironica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
LATCH.
Most car seats have an upper limit on LATCH connection around 48 lbs. child weight, and some car manufacturers have lower limits than that (Honda is 40 lbs. for example). Double-check the manual; you may need to switch to a seat belt install.

The manual will tell you about the locking seat belt retractor.
Ironica is offline  
#38 of 43 Old 09-09-2008, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Most car seats have an upper limit on LATCH connection around 48 lbs. child weight, and some car manufacturers have lower limits than that (Honda is 40 lbs. for example). Double-check the manual; you may need to switch to a seat belt install.

The manual will tell you about the locking seat belt retractor.
Well crap.
aniT is offline  
#39 of 43 Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My owners manual doesn't say anything about weight limits at all.

2002 Ford Windstar.
aniT is offline  
#40 of 43 Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
 
chickabiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
My owners manual doesn't say anything about weight limits at all.

2002 Ford Windstar.
Ford has a 48-pound limit on the lower anchors.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
chickabiddy is online now  
#41 of 43 Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Ford has a 48-pound limit on the lower anchors.
Thanks. I will just keep watching her weight. We have 2lbs. I am sure a car seat made to go to 50lbs would at least have a limit of 48/50lbs.
aniT is offline  
#42 of 43 Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
 
an_aurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 6,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By the way, a 2002 Ford Windstar has locking latchplates. When you do switch to a seatbelt install, all you have to do is buckle the belt and tighten--that's it, the belt will be locked at the latchplate (the part that clicks into the buckle). Super easy

CPST & mom

an_aurora is offline  
#43 of 43 Old 09-09-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
By the way, a 2002 Ford Windstar has locking latchplates. When you do switch to a seatbelt install, all you have to do is buckle the belt and tighten--that's it, the belt will be locked at the latchplate (the part that clicks into the buckle). Super easy
Cool. Thanks. I have never used those seat belts back there. There has always been a car seat in the middle bench.
aniT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off