How much have you spent on car seats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband calculated last night that we've spent about $1300 on car seats and dd is not even 4. Here's a breakdown:

Roundabout- bought November 2004, retired May 2008 (bought for dd, dd outgrew it right before her brother was born, brother outgrew it RFing at 14m and 18lbs.)

Eddie Bauer Booster with Harness (can't remember the actual name)- bought for dd 4 days after my due date when her Regent still hadn't arrived (it arrived about 3wks after ds's birth) and we needed the Roundabout for her brother and she had also outgrown it.

Regent- bought Jan. 2007, arrived March 2007 (backlog ) still uses, is on 3rd strap

Nautilus- bought for Nana's car when dd outgrew the harness height of the Eddie Bauer seat

Marathon- bought for ds when he outgrew the Roundabout by height RFing, still in use, going to Nana's car

True Fit- bought to replace the Marathon in our car and to give ds some more room RFing

Why can't they make a car seat for tall kids that actually lasts! I hear all the time about kids being able to fit in a Marathon at 5, and my daughter has already outgrown it! She does still fit in the True Fit though! I wish this seat had been out sooner!

Mama of three.

#2 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 AM

I'm not sure.... here's a rough calc

Graco Snugride + extra base - $150ish
Marathon #1 - $250
Marathon #2 - $250
Marathon #3 - $130 (Target clearance)
Frontier - $280?
Cosco extra seat we didn't use much - $40?

I don't remember exact prices, the Snug ride might have been a shower gift.

So we're at about $1100, but that's for soon to be 3 children. I think we are getting a lot of value out of the Marathons and we went straight from the infant seat to the Marathons. (I specifically chose the Marathon in lieu of the roundabout to get more life out of it.)

I am not sold that the Frontier is the greatest seat and we may choose the Nautilus or the Regent next as #2 grows out of his Marathon. Right now our van has 2 marathons and the Frontier is in my Dh's car for the preschool morning commute.

I think it's possible to get safe seats at lower price points and spend a lot less on car seats overall. We like Britax and have decided that it's worth it to us. I am trying to be very prudent about seat decisions.
#3 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

When we bought the Roundabout we had a really tiny car. It was the only seat that fit RFing. When we bought the mini-van I was so happy to have room!

Mama of three.

#4 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 AM

I agree, car seats are expensive! They have a limited time of safe usefulness (5 years?), but many makers claim their seats will last longer!?!? Plus, most LO's outgrow them very quickly. DD is almost 15mo...

*Graco SafeSeat & Nautilus were generous gifts. But...

I sold for $60 & 100, respectively.

*Britax Marathon from birth to present.

Bought for $225 and will donate to a CPS Tech for demo use w/i 5
yrs (or when DD has outgrown it, whichever comes first).

So far, we have spent $225 (but, made $160 by selling the gifts...so, we have actually spent next to nothing on car seats). IMHO, car seats fall under the health and safety category of our family expenses...which translates to money well spent. When it comes to baby related expenses, DH and I have been pretty frugal. The only other expensive item we have purchased was a convertible crib that DD will be able to use for some time (as will any additional LOs). Our jogging stroller was a gift (a BOB!!!). We cloth diaper (saves a bunch). When it comes to clothes and toys, I figure less quantity and more quality means better stuff for DD (and any additional LOs) and $$$ saved for us.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#5 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie's momma View Post
I agree, car seats are expensive! They have a limited time of safe usefulness (5 years?), but many makers claim their seats will last longer!?!? Plus, most LO's outgrow them very quickly. DD is almost 15 mo...

*Graco SafeSeat outgrew at 12 m due to height...

Bought for $130 and sold for $60

*Graco Nautilus used from 12m to present. Quit using so DD can remain
rear-facing.

Bought for $135 and sold for $100

*Britax Marathon from present to ???

Bought for $225 and will sell for ???

So far, we have spent $330. IMHO, car seats fall under the health and safety category of our family expenses...which translates to money well spent. When it comes to baby related expenses, DH and I have been pretty frugal. The only other expensive item we have purchased was a convertible crib that DD will be able to use for some time (as will any additional LOs). Our jogging stroller was a gift (a BOB!!!). We cloth diaper (saves a bunch). When it comes to clothes and toys, I figure less quantity and more quality means better stuff for DD (and any additional LOs) and $$$ saved for us.
Just out of curiosity where do you sell your carseats? I just ordered a Triumph for DD2 and I need to sell her Graco Snugride. I paid $80 7 months ago and I want to get at least half of that back! Just curious where you get decent prices when selling your seats!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#6 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 AM

for ds

used snugride from a good friend - $20
evenflo triumph gift at baby shower - $0
extra comfort sport on clearence - $50
recaro young sport on crazy deal online - $115
graco nautilus - $150

for dd

cheapest bucket while out of state to bring her home in - $60
passed down triumph - $0
ANOTHER comfortsport when our como was never delivered. argh - $80
britax blvd - $310

for the twins

we will have two borrowed snugrides (from my sil and my best friend) - $0
marvel's blvd (with her moving to the young sport) - $0
we will buy a boulevard or como/signo - $250-$300

so $785 spent so far and one more seat purchase in our near future (unless we are lucky enough to be gifted one). we have also bought seats for other people several times (probably as much as we've spent on our own kids).

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#7 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 AM

It's been so long that I can't remember how much we paid for dd's carseats. I know she started out in a Graco infant seat, and then she was in a Roundabout for a long time, though we had at least two Roundabouts because we were hit once. Now she's in a booster seat - at the time, I didn't really investigate too much in other options and she was already five when she outgrew the Roundabout. Really! So I guess ~$70 for the infant seat, ~$200 for the Roundabout, and ~$100 for the HBB.

Ds... I think his infant seat was about $100, and then he's been in a Blvd since then. I think we paid around $275 for it. The straps are as high as they'll go in the Blvd now but they're still above his shoulders... if he can manage to give us until December to replace it I will appreciate it!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#8 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Graco infant seat...bought while pregnant with my DS, $150 I think? Came with stroller..my SIL is using it for her DD right now.

Graco ComfortSport (WASTE of money, HATE that carseat!!!) $120 I think? Got rid of it shortly after.

Britax Bulevard- $300 still using it (DD is in this seat)

Britax Marathon- $260, still using it (DS is in this seat)

For our 3rd (not preg, TTC) I plan on getting a 3rd britax or perhaps a Sunshine 80, I'm still researching it. I'm also considering booting James out of the Marathon and buying him a Sunshine 80 or a Regent (more likely a Sunshine so he doesn't have to go in the way back) and putting DD in the Marathon and the DC to be in the Blvd...but of course our blvd was mfg in 2005 or 2006 so it's set to expire here pretty soon...2 years or so?

So far we've spent $820.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#9 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 PM

Two graco snugrides, about 150 total? (they were the cheap ones)
Three evenflo titans @ $54 each, but sold 2 for almost what I paid.
Two radians @ 179.99 each
One Israeli / European seat (harnessed booster to hb booster to booster) about $70.

I don't think I will need another carseat. The evenflo has another 3 years on it, and by that time the twins will be 7+ (YIKES) and should have outgrown the radians, or be able to sit in a booster, so ds will get a radian, Rivka will get a radian, one of the twins will get the HBB we already have, and we'll get another one.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#10 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 12:23 PM

One kid - currently 30 months:

Graco snugride with extra base = gift
Britax Boulevard for primary vehicle = $300
Britax Frontier for secondary vehicle = $225 (used from a friend)
Cosco Scenera (Nana's car) = $150 (?)
TOTAL = $675

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#11 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 PM

Two children-two cars they ride in regularly.

Evenflo bucket and extra base: $100
Marathon 1: $199
Marathon 2: $199
Graco bucket and extra base: $80 ish
Marathon 3: $205
Marathon 4: $205
Cosco Scenera: $45

$1033. We got lucky and were able to buy our Marathons while there were still real sales on them.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#12 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Graco comfortsport- $60 on clearance at BRU
Britax Decathlon- $215 on Clearnace at Albeebaby
Extra seat for mom's car- $80 on sale
Will probably be getting a radian for DD when #2 needs to move to DD's decathlon (so another $200-ish)

So less than $600 total should get us to boosters for 2 kids. We only have 1 car normally though.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#13 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 PM

One SnugRide: Both kids from birth until 6-8 months ($150)
1 Roundabout from 6 months until ~2 year for DD, from 8 months till now for DS ($225)
1 Marathon from 2 year until now for DD ($250)

We got the Roundabout because we needed to use it for plane-travel (it is lighter), but it doesn't last us long, because our kids are tall. At least they both used it.

Carma
#14 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Wow, guys, I spent $50 on an infant PP (from my gf, used once for 4 months) and $219 for dd's marathon (on sale) and my roundabout is a free hand-me down from my other gf- lightly used from my bff.

Oh, wait, I spent $100 each on 2 back up Graco's plus an Uptown, $120.

So my seat total is roughly $500.

PS: Yes, I know buying everything brand new is best, I made choices I am comfortable with.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#15 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Two boys 21mo & 4mo:

EB Comfort Infant (ITS Travel System) $130
Alpha Omega Elite 160
EB 3-in-1 80
Scenera 45
Nautilus 130
So that's $545 so far. DS1 is all torso so at 21mo he's in the Nautilus in the main car & has just a little room in the AOE in Nana's car. We'll be getting the Apex $110 soon for his back up seat. DS2 is 4mo & using the EB Comfort for now. He'll get the AOE in our car & Scenera in Nana's car. I'm considering picking up the Uptown which is $65 at Big Lots for his main seat & selling the AOE & EB 3-in-1 though.
#16 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 02:04 PM

graco snugride- bought for a baby shower gift, so $0
marathon- bought durning the sale- $210
scenera as a backup seat-$55

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#17 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM

I sold the Graco SafeSeat and Nautilus on Craigslist.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#18 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oh my, a lot of money.

Graco Snug Ride (hated it and didn't keep it for 2nd child)
2 Marathons
3 Regents once DD1 outgrew the MA's
Britax Companion for DD2 (Once again didn't like it, sold it, and will have to buy a new bucket next year for #3)
Parkway booster for trips with friends
Recaro Signo for DD2 to replace one of the MA's that expired
Cosco Scenera as a travel seat for DD2, hated it, and never used it again

I have gotten my money's worth out all almost all the seats except the infant ones and the Cosco. DD1 fit into the Marathon's until she was 5, now DD2 rides in the one that is left and then the Signo. I should add that DD1 rides with a lot of different people, me, DH, in DH's work van, the jeep, my sister, my mom.... I keep a seat in 4 cars for her so that we are never caught without. Even though she is 5.5, she is too immature to ride in boosters other then when I have no other choice, hence the many Regent's. The MA's were the best buy, we throughly used those seats, the Regents are really getting used right now, and in another 2 years 1-2 of them will get passed down to DD2. I will have to buy a bucket for the baby, but once that is outgrown he/she will get the Signo that is in DH's car. I won't have to buy another seat for several years.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#19 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM

For 1 ds, but we have had extra seats for when we visit family. And we moved to Canada, so had to replace our Triumph with a Canadian labeled seat.

SnugRide- $80 maybe?
Evenflo Triumph- $130 I think
Radian- $200
Evenflo Generations (for visiting family)- $130 or so
Nautilus (for visiting family)- $150

That's $690. We'll have to buy only one more seat, and that will be a booster for ds here. I have my eyes on a SK Monterey, so that'll put the total close to $800 for all of his car seat needs.

But 2 of those seats went to my friend who was worried about being able to afford the car seats she needed, so that is a benefit of going through so darn many car seats!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#20 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 04:03 PM

We have spent about $2400, but it's not as bad as it sounds. We've only put out about $900 of our own money on three kids.

We had two Britax seats (Marathon and Roundabout). DH's parents bought the one for our first DD. We bought the seat for our second DD.

DH was in two accidents so the Britax seats were replaced two times by our insurance company. However, sometimes it feels like all we do is buy carseats.

We moved to the US, and we don't think the Canadian seats are legal here, plus, when DS was born, we needed something that would allow us to get three in the backseat of Golf... so we bought three Radian 80s (I got them on sale from Amazon for the same price as the 65). Three Radians were cheaper than buying a minivan.

We've never bought an infant seat. We also don't have the two cars issue that a lot of people deal with. I anticipate the kids using the Radians until they can go without a child restraint.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#21 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 04:04 PM

x2 Graco Snugride with extra base, $175. each total $350.
Thankfully Carson outgrew his and we were able to reuse it when Caitlyn was born.

Eddie Bauer (not sure of the model) $180.00

Britax Decathlon $300.00

x2 Britax Boulevard, $320. each total $640.00

Our total is $1470.00 and the twins are only 24 months and Caitlyn 16 months old

Please tell me the Britax will last until they outgrow the need for a carseat??:

Oh well, at least we should be good to go for a few years right?

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#22 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 04:09 PM

Let's see 3 Titan 5's (around $60 each)
1 Titan 5 delux $100
2 harness/boosters $100/each
1 Scenera for DH's car $45
1 backless booster to keep in DH car for when I forget to leave a booster for him $15
2 Evenflo boosters $40/each

a little over $600 for four kids so far. Probably need to get a higher length harness/booster for youngest (Nautilus probably) because he is so so long.
#23 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 04:23 PM

For my boys we have purchased one Graco Saferide for about $150. And two Britax Boulevards for about $300 each.

So somewhere around $650. My oldest will be 3 in two months.
#24 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM

$100 for Graco Snugride
$250 Marathon (lasted RF to 33lbs) -- sold to close friend for $130
$218 Marathon (RF to 35 lbs)

so i think $438 for one DD.
#25 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM

Nothing. Ds is nearly 3 and dd is 7.5 months. We were given a Graco ComfortSport for our baby shower and that is what ds is still riding in. We are borrowing a Graco Snugride from my SIL for dd right now. In a few weeks we have to give it back because she is having a baby so we will make our first carseat purchase--a new one for ds probably and then dd will take his ComfortSport.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#26 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 04:49 PM

Closeout deal on Britax Wizard: $220
Touriva Regal Ride for travel: $50
Graco Safe Seat for new baby (bought used from a legit source): $70

So about $340 total for 2 kids so far...not too bad

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#27 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 05:12 PM

$0 Graco SnugRide- shower gift
$230 Roundabout- used until the Marathon went on sale
$199 Marathon- bought after I realized DS would rearface longer in this
$70 Graco ComfortSport - bought as a spare for DH's truck (rarely used)

About $499 and DS is only 15 months.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#28 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 PM

$0 for a Graco SafeSeat (shower gift)
$40 for a Cosco Scenera for travel and backup seat
$212 for a Britax Marathon for our primary seat right now (We got a great deal last Feb during the Britax Sale)

So $250 in total or so, so far. We shouldn't need to buy another seat till DS is 3 or so when we'll give his sibling his Marathon and get him something like the Frontier.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#29 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 PM

I thought we'd spent a lot but now I'm feeling good. We originally bought a Baby Trend stroller and carseat combo on sale for $200 (this was while I was still pregnant and before I realized we'd use a sling and never use the stroller). When he grew out of that, we bought a Britax Boulevard on sale for $240.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#30 of 63 Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 PM

We've done very well financially, but I am anticipating spending more.

Evenflo bucket borrowed from a friend - $0
Cosco Scenera - $70

We will be upgrading DS to something else (Am debating between the True Fit and the Marathon) and keep the Scenera for baby #2. Maybe.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page