Carters Clothing and Chemical Burns - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZoeJane View Post

I AM curious how you can see a diaper rash on a child at Target and ASSume that the mother doesn't think anything of it, though? Is it because she's not fretting and worrying out loud so you can hear her? Mighty presumptive of you, don't you think? My poor DD suffered from thrush rashes several times and I got some weird stares from folks who wondered why her butt was purple. I wonder if I should have been wearing a t shirt that read "It's gentian violet, dummy" so those who assumed the worst would know?

I had a battle with thrush with my first DS, big time. I saw a rash at Target a year or so ago that honestly, it looked like someone has scalded this baby. The mom was chatting happily with someone else and it was obviously bothering the other mom too. She just changed his diaper, he SCREAMED, and no cream, no lotion, no potions, nothing. It really made me sad. I personally know a mom whose son had impetigo and his penis looked scalded too, like red and blistered and cracked, she didn't think much of it and her ped was horrified. And it's not about money or anything, I don't know the first mom, but the second one was seriously wealthy. I just think MDC moms tend to want to know the cause, the healthiest way to prevent, etc.

It may seem presumptive to you, it was just an observation. Presumptive would have been to say something or to call her out in some way. But every person makes observations and judgements in their daily lives, that's human analytical nature.

And although I would have taken DS to the ped for the rashes I'd seen, I don't actually tend to overreact to his stuff the way you're implying. I often find another, more holistic way to attempt to deal with the problem first, but I do look into everything I find suspicious. But with that rash I'd have been there.

I think they're not recalling the Carter's because there's no evidence that there was a defect, just that some kids may have been more sensitive. I guess a comparison would be that some people are allergic to wool. Not that I agree, because you have to label fabrics and you don't ahve to label these stupid tags that have chemicals in them. But I think that's the mindset with the company and regulatory agencies.

PS I'm not sure exactly why you would capitalize the first three letters of assume, but I'll assume you did it by accident. Otherwise, that would be really unkind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 02:58 AM

Ohh wow.. thank you soo much

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Ok, I just went through my son's clothes to see if any carry the label (and I pulled out receipts from 2007 to make sure) and all I had was a pack of undershirts and jammies. The jammies I'm not sure of, but he definitely had a rash from the undershirts. At the time I thought it was from something on the stroller because he woke up from his nap just a wreck, but my mom recalled that he desperately wanted his shirt off, which is strange for him. I called Carter's and I'm sending the shirts back for sure. Since he hasn't really worn the jammies, but the label's the same, I need to decide if I want to send them back or keep them. My neighbor has the same jammies and we both pulled them out last night to use (since it got colder), so I'm going to check with her to see if her son had a problem. My son has way more sensitive skin than hers, so I'm not sure if her feedback will be terribly helpful, but we'll see.

Edited to add: I talked to my neighbor and we're both going to return the jammies as well since they were definitely purchased in the same trip as the shirt that caused irritation(and I have the receipt to confirm this). We shopped the Carter's store when the fleece jammies were all one sale and each bought 3-4 sets to rotate. We both washed them after purchasing them, and one set looks as though he's worn it a few times but I can't recall him wearing it?!? Anyway, I'd rather not find out later that the label is going to bother him since the other from the same trip did.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 PM

So I just checked out that pic of the chemical burn and it is definitely not what my DS had. His was more of an allergic reaction or irritation than a burn (that poor baby).

So I think that there are a couple of things going on with the tags. There seems to be a wide range of reactions to the tagless system to say the least and I hope they work it out.

So I would bet in the "real world" there are more reaction along the lines of my DS and not that poor babes. Imho ALL the clothes from that line should go back or thrown out whichever you decide.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM

Interesting. I just called them and they were not eager for me to send the clothes back. She said - if he hasn't had a rash by now he is probably not allergic to the label and is fine, but if he does develop one to call back.

From reading earlier posts I was suprised by this. Well, I will most certainly call back and send back!!

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Old 10-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olien View Post

From reading earlier posts I was suprised by this. Well, I will most certainly call back and send back!!
why are you going to send them back?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM

:

This is so interesting. My daughter was born 2006 and that year she had a rash on the same area and I bought a TON of Carter's clothes (about 90 percent of her wardrobe was Carter's) and now she is older and not buying as much of that (switched to organic clothes) and lo and behold, no rash. I thought it was eczema but I wonder now.....
Old 10-02-2008, 07:36 PM

I found this on another web site. You may find it useful since the picture has baby gap clothes in it also:

Most of my baby's clothes are BabyGap tagless. I wrote to Gap, and received this response:

"Thank you for your email about Gap Inc. merchandise quality and safety. We appreciate the time you?ve taken to share your concerns regarding our babyGap tagless tees. Rest assured our Gap Baby tagless tees are PVC , Saline and Phthalates free. Safety is one of our top priorities at Gap Inc. We do all we can to make sure our products are safe to all consumers and have a history of setting standards that meet or exceed the legal requirements for our
merchandise. We have pre-approved, independent laboratories where we have our vendors send products for testing before we sell them in our stores and online. We also have a Product Safety team who manage our
testing programs and make sure we are up to date on international safety and regulatory standards.

We hope you find this information helpful."

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Old 10-03-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadmama View Post
So what should I do about the clothes she has grown out of but am keeping for the next baby? Some are stained do I still return these?

I have also cut the bottoms off of onesies to make them into T-Shirts so she can wear them longer do I return those also?

I don't think it's for stained and cut clothes that have been worn, nor all Carter's clothes like I've been hearing. It's for specific items with the large tag which have caused problems for some kids.

My daughter (born 2007) has a TON of these clothes with the bad 2007 tag (all gifts) but has worn them happily with NO rash whatsoever for the past year and a half. I am not going to send them in but not save them for the next child either. I don't feel entitled to a bunch of new free Carter's clothes. I know people who are trying to get a full refund for hundreds of dollars worth of Carter's items from years ago which are mainly second hand and gifts. I don't understand that way of thinking. Carter's is not a "bad" company and supplies very low cost decent quality clothes to millions of people. Organic stuff is more expensive for a reason...you get what you pay for.

I don't think these are chemical burns either, more like an allergy from a crappy ink most likely made in China. This is of course very important and these companies need to really start looking into other options to produce their low cost stuff. We need to know our children's clothes and toys are safe. It sounds to me like the company is doing a good job of looking into it and refunding clothes which were troublesome to certain kids. If it were some kind of toxic mistake there would be a complete recall. This is something else.

If your child had any kind of reaction it's a different story. But well worn, stained, cut up clothes you haven't had a problem with? Just trash it and move on.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbuns View Post
I don't think it's for stained and cut clothes that have been worn, nor all Carter's clothes like I've been hearing. It's for specific items with the large tag which have caused problems for some kids.

My daughter (born 2007) has a TON of these clothes with the bad 2007 tag (all gifts) but has worn them happily with NO rash whatsoever for the past year and a half. I am not going to send them in but not save them for the next child either. I don't feel entitled to a bunch of new free Carter's clothes. I know people who are trying to get a full refund for hundreds of dollars worth of Carter's items from years ago which are mainly second hand and gifts. I don't understand that way of thinking. Carter's is not a "bad" company and supplies very low cost decent quality clothes to millions of people. Organic stuff is more expensive for a reason...you get what you pay for.

I don't think these are chemical burns either, more like an allergy from a crappy ink most likely made in China. This is of course very important and these companies need to really start looking into other options to produce their low cost stuff. We need to know our children's clothes and toys are safe. It sounds to me like the company is doing a good job of looking into it and refunding clothes which were troublesome to certain kids. If it were some kind of toxic mistake there would be a complete recall. This is something else.

If your child had any kind of reaction it's a different story. But well worn, stained, cut up clothes you haven't had a problem with? Just trash it and move on.
I know DS's reaction was an allergy, as when I gave him his first dose of prescription Allegra after the worst incident, it was 90% gone within an hour. that definitely shows it was an allergy and not a burn. Though maybe if a child were extremely allergic it could look like a burn?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbuns View Post
Actually, when I told the rep that the shirt that caused the problem got stained in the same trip, she still wanted it back. If they are truly going to test the tags that caused problems, why would they care of the rest of the garment was stained?

I went into The Children's Place today to pick up some replacement jammies for my son, and before I could finish asking the clerk where his size was, I saw this sign: The Children’s Place Recalls Camouflage Pajama Sets Due to Excessive Lead and just said forget it. I checked out American Apparel, but they don't have jammies, just sweats. I can't afford to buy him organic clothes and we don't have the type of market int he area where I could pick them up secondhand, so I'm just frustrated!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TefferTWH View Post
Actually, when I told the rep that the shirt that caused the problem got stained in the same trip, she still wanted it back. If they are truly going to test the tags that caused problems, why would they care of the rest of the garment was stained?

I went into The Children's Place today to pick up some replacement jammies for my son, and before I could finish asking the clerk where his size was, I saw this sign: The Children’s Place Recalls Camouflage Pajama Sets Due to Excessive Lead and just said forget it. I checked out American Apparel, but they don't have jammies, just sweats. I can't afford to buy him organic clothes and we don't have the type of market int he area where I could pick them up secondhand, so I'm just frustrated!

I meant stained, well worn, cut up clothes where the child didn't experience any rash. For me these sort of things are for people who

A) have unworn clothes with the tag (don't want to risk giving the child a rash!)

B) have worn, stained, whatever clothes with the tag which caused a rash or reaction

If everyone just sends in their ripped, stained, well worn or cut up Carter's clothes to get a refund how will they know which tags caused the problem? It's probably a certain lot of ink.

As for organic stuff, it's best to stay away from all mall stores (including Hanna Andersson..lots of that stuff is made in China too!!) and find deals online.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 AM

Where should I look online? I'm at a loss for where to shop for things I can afford that are safe. I buy 90% of my son's things second hand at garage sales and Mom2Mom sales, and there just isn't the population around here who buys anything BUT mall clothes!

Those of you who sent things to Carter's, did you get some sort of response immediately when they got the clothes? I didn't add any sort of delivery verification to mine and I worry about them getting lost or whatever. I always worry about that sort of thing!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TefferTWH View Post
Those of you who sent things to Carter's, did you get some sort of response immediately when they got the clothes? I didn't add any sort of delivery verification to mine and I worry about them getting lost or whatever. I always worry about that sort of thing!
I didn't get any repsonse after we sent ours. I was nervous about it because we had a huge box to send and we can't afford for that to get lost in the mail! I tried getting delivery confirmation or insurance, but unless we paid the postage ourselves (instead of using their postage-paid mailer), the only thing we could get was a certified receipt saying that we'd mailed a package to Carter's. So at least we have that.

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
Old 10-08-2008, 07:02 PM

I have been kind of wondering the same thing about the two packages I sent back to Carters. They didn't say to put anything in the bag with the clothes, and the only identifying info on the outside was my first initial, last name and address. I hope they have some way to know that the clothing was from our house. I may call tomorrow just to see if the package arrived.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:18 PM

I tried to take my (new, gifts, tags still on) stuff back to BRU this weekend and they said no returns without receipts. Kinda stupid for a place whose business is largely gifts, eh?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
I tried to take my (new, gifts, tags still on) stuff back to BRU this weekend and they said no returns without receipts. Kinda stupid for a place whose business is largely gifts, eh?
That stinks! We have a TRU here, not a BRU, and I took back a gift given to DS for his birthday (loud, flashy, plastic, Disney ride on thing that scared him to death) and they took it back no questions asked. They had the receipt in their computer system, so didn't even ask me if I had one. I am so sorry they gave you a hard time. I wonder what they would do if you had said the clothing was the wrong size or that you already had the same thing and didn't want two of the same? (not that I am advocating lying, but just wondering what they would have said then)

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM

I dunno. I sent DH to the counter to do the actual transaction so I actually have no idea what was said.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:58 PM

Wow! That was fast. I just got my check from Carter's today, but that was only 2 weeks from sending it out to them returning me a check. I had a rough idea of how much I should get and it was right on for replacement value based on what I saw on Kohl's online, and my stuff was all used or washed and ready to go (as opposed to tags on NEW).
Old 10-24-2008, 06:20 PM

I had 3 that were new that I was going to use as gifts... the rep. I spoke to was very nice and is sending me a label to send them back.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 10-24-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
That stinks! We have a TRU here, not a BRU, and I took back a gift given to DS for his birthday (loud, flashy, plastic, Disney ride on thing that scared him to death) and they took it back no questions asked. They had the receipt in their computer system, so didn't even ask me if I had one. I am so sorry they gave you a hard time. I wonder what they would do if you had said the clothing was the wrong size or that you already had the same thing and didn't want two of the same? (not that I am advocating lying, but just wondering what they would have said then)
TRU and BRU here are super strict about receipts. It sucks.

User Tag List