Carters Clothing and Chemical Burns - Mothering Forums
1 2  3 
Family Safety > Carters Clothing and Chemical Burns
renee143's Avatar renee143 07:27 PM 09-17-2008
Hey Moms,

Just an FYI-

If you don't know about the Carters recall, you can read detail HERE. In short, the ink used to print the labels in Carters fall 2007 line has been found to cause chemical burns on babies. In response, Carters is allowing customers to return any clothing with the bad label for a full refund. The bad label is a block of ink, about postage stamp sized, with all the info contained in the box. I have over 20 items from this line, which I am returning.

If you have items to return, call 1-888-782-9548. They will send you a mailer. They asked me if the clothing had affected my child, which it hadn't...but I argued that there was no guarantee it wouldn't burn future kids. There's no sense in me hanging on to this stuff only to find I can't use it again, and quite frankly, I don't want to find out the hard way that it burns my baby.

Renee

annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 07:52 PM 09-17-2008
Moving to Family Safety
MamaBug's Avatar MamaBug 08:38 PM 09-17-2008
Thanks for this, my dd has many of these outfits and I am going to call the number tomorrow. WOw!
elmh23's Avatar elmh23 08:40 PM 09-17-2008
Thanks! We actually don't have a lot of Carters stuff but my kids pj's were like this. I called and left a message (they're closed) so hopefully they'll call me back.
medaroge's Avatar medaroge 08:43 PM 09-17-2008
oh my gosh, I have never heard of something like this happening! off to check clothing....
medaroge's Avatar medaroge 08:44 PM 09-17-2008
the photo on the z site shows babygap as well as carters, should we be worried about all tagless clothing?
dogmom327's Avatar dogmom327 09:41 PM 09-17-2008
Lovely. DS has a ton of Carter's stuff since I get great deals at the outlet store.
Ruthie's momma's Avatar Ruthie's momma 12:15 AM 09-18-2008
Thank you so much for this info. Guess what I will be working on tomorrow?
renee143's Avatar renee143 01:31 AM 09-18-2008
i should mention that this is not an official recall...you have to go to them, they aren't announcing it.
Maeve's Avatar Maeve 01:37 AM 09-18-2008
Great. We have a lot of stuff from Carters.

(sigh)
GreenFlower's Avatar GreenFlower 10:44 AM 09-18-2008
O.k., baby #2 is due in a couple months. I had a baby shower in the spring and got a bunch of these clothes (the 2007 line). Due to nesting, I've removed tags and laundered everything. I don't have receipts or tags (they were all gifts and didn't come with receipts anyway). Will they still take the clothes back and give some sort of refund or credit so I can get clothes to replace that aren't tagless?
Elecampane's Avatar Elecampane 11:00 AM 09-18-2008
Thanks so much for posting this...DD has been complaining of a "pimple" on the back of her neck that is roughly where the tags would touch her skin. I wonder if this could be the cause. It's like a scab, not really a pimple, although that is what she is calling it. I would say that 98% of her clothes are Carter's (we get 'em cheap at Costco and my family is big on gifts from the Carter's outlet). Ugh. Going to call and see what they say...
GreenFlower's Avatar GreenFlower 11:33 AM 09-18-2008
nevermind. I called the company and the lady was very nice and helpful. Got everything taken care of!
Ruthie's momma's Avatar Ruthie's momma 12:25 PM 09-18-2008
I just finished with a rep. She was very helpful and is mailing me a postage paid envelope for any returns for a full refund. Thanks again for the original posting!
veganone's Avatar veganone 04:53 PM 09-18-2008
Thank you for posting this. I'm sooo bummed to hear this, though. We've been so good about avoiding phtlalates and here they are again.

No reaction here, but we will be covering the tagless stamps with fabric tape from now on and not buying any more.
LoveLife's Avatar LoveLife 05:25 PM 09-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFlower View Post
O.k., baby #2 is due in a couple months. I had a baby shower in the spring and got a bunch of these clothes (the 2007 line). Due to nesting, I've removed tags and laundered everything. I don't have receipts or tags (they were all gifts and didn't come with receipts anyway). Will they still take the clothes back and give some sort of refund or credit so I can get clothes to replace that aren't tagless?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFlower View Post
nevermind. I called the company and the lady was very nice and helpful. Got everything taken care of!
Would you mind sharing what the customer service rep said and what you are doing?

I'm in the same predicament- due w/ #1 in Oct and washed all the gifts/clothing given to me. Most of which is Carter's. THANKS!
beadmama's Avatar beadmama 09:28 PM 09-18-2008
So what should I do about the clothes she has grown out of but am keeping for the next baby? Some are stained do I still return these?

I have also cut the bottoms off of onesies to make them into T-Shirts so she can wear them longer do I return those also?
Mandala126's Avatar Mandala126 01:45 PM 09-19-2008
I'm glad you mamas got nice reaction from the reps because I just called and she wasn't friendly at all, said there is NO recall and it was just small amount of babies that were affected. She said there is no chemical burn, just irritation due to the size of the label. She couldn't help me.
NorthernPixie's Avatar NorthernPixie 03:20 PM 09-19-2008
I just called. I was careful to say that my daughter had some sort of irritation in the label location, and that I was concerned enough to call. I asked for a picture of the label in question to make sure I was sending in the right stuff and she sent me to the zrecommends site as mentioned in the OP. She asked me where I'd heard about it, and I said a friend told me. She was very nice and helpful but I was quite careful with how I phrased things. She's sending me two large mailing bags and told me if there was more than would fit, to cut off the label and put it all in a box.
TefferTWH's Avatar TefferTWH 11:05 PM 09-19-2008
I have a ton of hand me downs, purchased, garage saled Carter's stuff. How do I know if my clothes were made in 2007?
elmh23's Avatar elmh23 01:38 PM 09-20-2008
I called and were very helpful. Turns out that my kids pj's don't have the label that is effecting babies.
Justmee's Avatar Justmee 03:55 PM 09-20-2008
Great my mother just brought ds a whole bunch of carter's things... and he did have a funky rash on the back of his neck last week. I didn't put 2 & 2 together though. I guess I'll have to call them and see if I can return the stuff from across the ocean
veganone's Avatar veganone 02:31 AM 09-21-2008
We put DD's jammies (not carter's but do have a tagless label) on inside out tonight. If you have stuff with no printing (made from the same stuff) on the outside, it works fine for underclothes/jammies.

I do think it's an allergy and not a chemical burn that happened to some kids. It's awful, but it is less scary to me.
TinyMama's Avatar TinyMama 03:50 PM 09-21-2008
My DD was born in May 2007 and has had a rash on the back of her neck since she was a few weeks old. She always scratches there, so we thought it was just a habit when she got frustrated. Guess what it really was? :

I'm calling now. I'm taking everything out of my bins full of clothing packed away for Hypothetical #2. I want my money back!!!
AndrewsMother's Avatar AndrewsMother 01:20 AM 09-22-2008
DS has an awful area on the back of his neck that will not heal. I must call Carter's tomorrow.
True Blue's Avatar True Blue 10:19 AM 09-22-2008
So is it limited to the Fall 07 line or not? The rest have fairly large labels as well, the ones we have have a box around the whole number. I wonder if I should call.

Crap, now I know why people spend the money on Hanna Andersson...I think it's time we had less clothes but ones that are not toxic!!

What about other companies? Pretty much all the kids' clothes is tagless now.
TefferTWH's Avatar TefferTWH 02:55 PM 09-22-2008
For those of you who are calling, how can you identify the items from 2007 without experimenting on your kids? Is there a year code somewhere?
amandaleigh37's Avatar amandaleigh37 04:14 PM 09-23-2008
Quote:
For those of you who are calling, how can you identify the items from 2007 without experimenting on your kids? Is there a year code somewhere?
I'm wondering this too...

anyone?
Maeve's Avatar Maeve 05:18 PM 09-23-2008
They said it was the label wherer *all* the information was in the white square.
PassionateWriter's Avatar PassionateWriter 10:33 PM 09-23-2008
and ppl call ME crazy for only wanting organic clothing!
1 2  3 

Up