Forward facing car seat...middle or side? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well mamas, I need some help on where the car seat goes now that it is forward facing. We have a covertible car seat and when it was rear facing, I had it in the middle. Now that we have turned it around, does it go on the side or still stay in the middle??? Is there a proper way? I've tried researching it, but I must not be putting in the right information cause I'm not coming up with my answer.

TIA!!!

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#2 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 06:11 PM

This website has a lot of good information on car seat safety, with a lot of certified techs answering questions.

From what I've read, the middle seat is the safest as long as you can get a good installation with your seat, and it is tethered properly, etc. However, you also have to take into consideration your own safety taking the child in and out, and also possible the parent's back health, as I've heard many parents complain that it's really hard on their back to get their child in and out of the middle seat.

If I had a back issue, I would put my child in the back passenger side so they are generally not in the traffic side. However, I have two children, so I put the older one (who is a better listener and more cooperative) on the driver's side and the younger one on the passenger side. I can't get a tight fit with their car seats in the middle seat so I avoid using it.

Oh, and since I read in your siggy that your DD is just one, you might want to look into keep her rear facing if she still fits into the height/weight range for your seat rear facing, as it's been proven that RF is the safest for children at least up until age 2.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#3 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison's Mom View Post
This website has a lot of good information on car seat safety, with a lot of certified techs answering questions.

From what I've read, the middle seat is the safest as long as you can get a good installation with your seat, and it is tethered properly, etc. However, you also have to take into consideration your own safety taking the child in and out, and also possible the parent's back health, as I've heard many parents complain that it's really hard on their back to get their child in and out of the middle seat.

If I had a back issue, I would put my child in the back passenger side so they are generally not in the traffic side. However, I have two children, so I put the older one (who is a better listener and more cooperative) on the driver's side and the younger one on the passenger side. I can't get a tight fit with their car seats in the middle seat so I avoid using it.

Oh, and since I read in your siggy that your DD is just one, you might want to look into keep her rear facing if she still fits into the height/weight range for your seat rear facing, as it's been proven that RF is the safest for children at least up until age 2.
So keep her rear facing until 2?? She definitely fits the height/weight range, I just didn't realize that I should keep her rear facing that long. Otherwise, put her in the middle like she has been then?? Thanks for the website!!

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#4 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 06:33 PM

Definitely keep her rear facing! The odds of her dying or being very seriously injured in a car accident are much higher for forward-facing. My understanding is that in many European countries, children rear-face until 2 or 3 years of age. DH and I were concerned because DS (15 mo) is tall but we were advised by a certified car seat safety inspector that as long as DS wasn't really uncomfortable (crying, not sleeping in the car, etc.) then we should bend or cross his legs since his legs are now longer than the space. The odds of broken legs are much lower (and of course much less serious) than the internal decapitation injury that children can suffer when forward facing.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
Definitely keep her rear facing! The odds of her dying or being very seriously injured in a car accident are much higher for forward-facing. My understanding is that in many European countries, children rear-face until 2 or 3 years of age. DH and I were concerned because DS (15 mo) is tall but we were advised by a certified car seat safety inspector that as long as DS wasn't really uncomfortable (crying, not sleeping in the car, etc.) then we should bend or cross his legs since his legs are now longer than the space. The odds of broken legs are much lower (and of course much less serious) than the internal decapitation injury that children can suffer when forward facing.
Whoa. Ok.

#6 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Keep her RFing until she meets the highest weight for RFing (usually 33 or 35lbs) or has only an inch of shell above her head.

And when I had only one child, I prefered to have her in the middle because it meant more room for the front seat passengers.

Mama of three.

#7 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 07:45 PM

In my old car, if the ff seat was in the middle, the seat would lean A LOT when the car turned. I haven't tried it yet with my new(er) car.

I keep her on the driver's side though. And she's on the passenger side in my mom's car.

I have my reasons for that...but when I went to type them out, they seemed kinda crazy. So I'm just going to keep them to myself.
#8 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 08:33 PM

Here's a great video on the importance of rear facing by a fellow tech... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

Here's a great deal of info that breaks it down by age... http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/

My 4yo is still RFing. Yes, he's a peanut at 38" and 28lbs, but he's perfectly comfortable. The AAP also recommends RFing to the limits of the seat. 33-35lbs for most.
#9 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Great! Thank you mamas!!

#10 of 13 Old 09-20-2008, 07:23 PM

http://www.fortwayne.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/712100332

Here's the article I read just the other day regarding keeping kids RF until age 2. Both my kids are really tiny and we had DD RF until just after her 3rd bday. My DS is just over 2yrs old, and we still have him RF, although DH really wants to turn him around. His reasons are stupid, in my opinion, so I'll keep him RF as long as he's comfortable.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#11 of 13 Old 09-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Well, we have two, so we put one on either side
But when it was just dd, I put her on the passenger side, b/c it was easier to reach her if I needed to hand her a bottle or a toy to distract her. Easier to reach over, than try and reach straight behind me.
#12 of 13 Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 PM

Personally, I plan to keep DD in the middle for as long as possible, only because i've been in 2 fairly serious car accidents (neither of which were my fault). I personally do not care how inconvienient it may be for me or DH but I am so paranoid about the car that the middle is where DD will be!!!! Good luck!
#13 of 13 Old 09-21-2008, 11:54 PM

Evan will be 4 in Dec and is still rfing.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page