How old is TOO old for a "car seat"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
SpringRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: in a temperate rainforest
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest daughter is 8, 47lbs and 48" tall. Although she could still fit into our Regent, she has been in a parkway high back booster for a year now. I'm perfectly happy to have her in that booster until she's too big for it but at the rate she's growing, it's possible she may still fit in that booster as a teenager!

She is already getting a lot of teaing at school for still being in a "car seat" in the 3rd grade and is getting more and more reluctant to use the booster. Obviously, my children's welfare is my #1 priority but we are dealing with some serious social backlash here and I'm wondering how other parents have dealt with this issue. Dh and I have considered switching her to a low back booster instead (wouldn't be visible from the outside of the car) but I worry that they are not safe enough!

What do you think?

P.S. I don't want to hear that she should still be in a 5 point harness. I've made my peace with that battle already and am happy with the safety of her booster for her age. Both of my younger children are in 5 points in high limit seats.

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
SpringRain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 PM
 
Evan&Anna's_Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: So. CA
Posts: 4,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK -- this is going to get me kicked off of MDC for sure, but... I think a child's social development and ability to relate to peers is important. Perhaps just as important as bodily safety, frankly. As a third grader, she is clearly old enough to sit properly in a low-backed booster. She may be small, but she also has (I assume) the muscle development of an 8 YO, not a 4 YO. I would switch her. Unless there is something else involved, like a 2 hour freeway commute to school or something.

I think you have to look at the whole picture. Sure, car safety is some of it. But social interaction and body image is also something you have to protect. All the car protection in the world isn't going to help if she decides she hates her body!

Maybe keep the bigger seat for long trips, freeway driving, that sort of thing, where you are more likely to be involved in higher speed, more dangerous car crashes.
Evan&Anna's_Mom is offline  
#3 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
 
Devaskyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: in my great new home
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds1 has been in a low back booster since his high back was in an accident & my mom bought the replacement seat. I think they're fine. Maybe not *quite* as safe as a high back, but still safe (& safer than no booster if she's too short for the belt alone). I agree with the pp that her self image is important, too.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Devaskyla is offline  
#4 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM
 
treqi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really agree with the PP..... kids can be cruel and it can really hurt I would switch to the BB especially if your daughter has come to you about it and is no dealing with the meanness very well...
treqi is offline  
#5 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with all of the pp's. Her emptional well-being is really important. personally, I would either let her sit in the regular seat, or pull her out to homeschool just kidding about the homeschooling
vbactivist is offline  
#6 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 PM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 8,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i cant say with 10000% certainty that i would handle it this way, because i dont have that problem. unfortunately my children will outgrow their 5 pt harness long before they will be ready to be out of them because they are giants thanks to DHs dna.
but i think if i were in that situation i would keep her in a booster, at least a low back booster until she was bigger. kids tease for all sorts of reasons, and if she is small i am sure she is being teased for that alone, regardless of how she rides in the car. kids will make fun of other children for ANY reason. so that is not my main concern for my children. my main concern is safety. and if she is as small as you say she is she should really still be in a high backed booster, OR a 5-pt harness, but since you wont put her in that i think you should stick to the booster she is in. if you want you can have a talk with her about how you are very sorry the other kids tease her, and that its very hurtful when kids tease other kids, and hope she can show compassion and empathy to other kids who get teased for other reasons, but that you are keeping her safety in mind and you would rather have her sit in a booster and say safe than end up a smear on the road.
i am blunt with my kids, if dd1 doesnt want to ride in her carseat we DONT GO, because its not safe for us to ride anywhere if she isnt in her 5pt harness. she knows the reason she has to ride in her carseat is for safety and we dont want her to die or be hurt very badly, so even though sometimes its not fun, or comfortable, or popular, safety is #1 priority

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
#7 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 PM
 
TEAK's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 2,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say that a backless booster would be a good compromise. My 6 year dd old is about the same size as your dd (she's a giant) and she's still in a Regent, but I can say for certain that she is the tallest of her friends and the only one still in any kind of seat. However, my dd is proportioned like a 6 year old. If a backless booster saves her heartache, then it's worth it.
TEAK's Mom is offline  
#8 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
 
BeckC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does she fit in a backless booster? Does the shoulder belt fit properly across her chest? Does she have proper head support behind her head? And this doesn't have to do with fit, but how is your car's side impact protection? Do you have side curtain air bags? Could she sit in a backless in the middle to protect her from the sides of the car in an accident?

I would maybe consider a backless if and only if I felt that I could still keep her safe.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
BeckC is offline  
#9 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM
 
mama2mygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is the only one of her friends still in five point harnass. We just moved her to the Frontier three days ago. She was starting to really hate her Marathon and I only moved her because it's expired. I just told her that in our family there are different rules. She's happier with her new seat because it's more big girl but even if she wasn't, I'd leave her in it.
There is a lot about our family that is different. We don't do "kid" foods. We make a lot of our own food and have very, very little processed food. We homeschool. My dh is very involved in our family and very crunchy. I view my strict carseat rules as just another way we're different.
I'd keep her in the booster for as long as possible. I wouldn't argue about it. It would just be a rule.

:Mama to 2 :
mama2mygirl is offline  
#10 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
 
Amylcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6 year old is slightly bigger than your daughter, and she is in a backless booster. She fits well in it (in july she was 49 1/2 inches and 56 pounds).

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Amylcd is offline  
#11 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
 
medaroge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post
I would say that a backless booster would be a good compromise. My 6 year dd old is about the same size as your dd (she's a giant) and she's still in a Regent, but I can say for certain that she is the tallest of her friends and the only one still in any kind of seat. However, my dd is proportioned like a 6 year old. If a backless booster saves her heartache, then it's worth it.
Yeah, a backless booster would be good, you wouldnt even be able to really see it if she plopped her backpack down right next to her seat.
medaroge is offline  
#12 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
 
MomInCalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
OK -- this is going to get me kicked off of MDC for sure, but... I think a child's social development and ability to relate to peers is important. Perhaps just as important as bodily safety, frankly. As a third grader, she is clearly old enough to sit properly in a low-backed booster. She may be small, but she also has (I assume) the muscle development of an 8 YO, not a 4 YO. I would switch her. Unless there is something else involved, like a 2 hour freeway commute to school or something.

I think you have to look at the whole picture. Sure, car safety is some of it. But social interaction and body image is also something you have to protect. All the car protection in the world isn't going to help if she decides she hates her body!

Maybe keep the bigger seat for long trips, freeway driving, that sort of thing, where you are more likely to be involved in higher speed, more dangerous car crashes.
I agree 100%!
MomInCalifornia is offline  
#13 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 09:54 PM
 
JamesMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Is a PROUD Iowan (finally...)
Posts: 7,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is coming from a former 43lb 2nd grader and a mama of a 3 y/o and an 11 month old so here is your HUGE ol grain of salt...

I dunno, at 8 years old I would think she would be big enough/mature enough to ride in a backless booster. I'm not a big fan of allowing social norms get in the way of how I live my life and the safety/well being of my children...but at 8 years old I would think she is old enough to ride in a backless booster.

Of course in my area you'd be hard pressed to find a 5/6/7 y/o in a booster....so I'm sure my kids will be odd man out at that age...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
JamesMama is offline  
#14 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 PM
 
Novella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rural Canada - peaceful prairie
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
OK -- this is going to get me kicked off of MDC for sure, but... I think a child's social development and ability to relate to peers is important. Perhaps just as important as bodily safety, frankly.
I hope this was nothing more than tongue-in-cheek. I'm disheartened to think that someone would think MDC a place where bodily safety is more important than a person's social development.

I agree with you that skill in managing interpersonal associations is more important than the condition of one's body. I think one can overcome physical challenges and lead a satisfying life more easily than one can overcome social challenges.

Perhaps some of the "enthusiasm" you see on MDC toward child-seats (and other safety matters) is that it is a more concrete discussion than topics of social development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
As a third grader, she is clearly old enough to sit properly in a low-backed booster. She may be small, but she also has (I assume) the muscle development of an 8 YO, not a 4 YO. I would switch her. Unless there is something else involved, like a 2 hour freeway commute to school or something.
Simply being in Grade 3 is not evidence that a child's body is ready for a backless booster.

Our daughter is in Grade 3 and will be 8 in the spring. She weighs about 68lb and is about 50.5" tall. She is not ready for a backless booster. It would be OK with the alignment of the shoulder belt in some vehicles, but not in others. She still naps regularly on longer car rides and would not stay properly positioned in a backless booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
. . . kids tease for all sorts of reasons, and if she is small i am sure she is being teased for that alone, regardless of how she rides in the car. kids will make fun of other children for ANY reason. . . if you want you can have a talk with her about how you are very sorry the other kids tease her, and that its very hurtful when kids tease other kids, and hope she can show compassion and empathy to other kids who get teased for other reasons. . .
This is an excellent point.

SpringRain, you said your daughter is starting to express some reluctance. Is it a mild response on her part? How do you feel she is handling the teasing? Is there another way to boost her confidence rather than just abandoning the high-back booster seat.

I am pretty much 100% certain that our daughter is the only child in her Grade 3 class who is in a carseat and I think this was true even when she was in Grade 1. I know other kids in the class have attempted to bug her about it, but she's very matter-of-fact that her body simply isn't the right size for seatbelt-only, telling her friends that cars are designed to fit adults.
It probably helped that we got a Recaro high-backed booster when we moved her out of the 5-point harness. She thought it looked cool and the appreciation my husband showed for its high-quality manufacturing scored points with her. She also felt very grown up that it had a jack to pipe music into the speakers mounted in the side-wings.

Yes, our daughter has carted her high-backed booster in and out of other people's Suburbans that are loaded up with birthday party guests. One mother once made a very mild weird comment and a quizzical look, but we didn't address that and the next time she knew the "drill".

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Novella is offline  
#15 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 PM
 
hottmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd be okay with a backless if it fit. Social factors are worth something. I'd be tempted to give my kid some comebacks to defend her HBB first, though, before giving in to social pressure.
My 5.5 yr. old son is about the same size-- (roughly) 47" and 48 lbs. He rides in a harnessed Britax Husky in my seat but a HBB for carpooling. If necessary (for fit with other seats, etc) I would let him ride in a backless booster but haven't had to yet. He's been in a HBB occasionally since a little after 4 (when he outgrew the harness on his grandma's combo seat) but not often until this month. It makes me nervous! I'd feel best about a backless booster in the middle seat in a car with side airbags in the backseat.
hottmama is offline  
#16 of 65 Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 PM
 
momoftworedheads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringRain View Post
My oldest daughter is 8, 47lbs and 48" tall. Although she could still fit into our Regent, she has been in a parkway high back booster for a year now. I'm perfectly happy to have her in that booster until she's too big for it but at the rate she's growing, it's possible she may still fit in that booster as a teenager!

She is already getting a lot of teaing at school for still being in a "car seat" in the 3rd grade and is getting more and more reluctant to use the booster. Obviously, my children's welfare is my #1 priority but we are dealing with some serious social backlash here and I'm wondering how other parents have dealt with this issue. Dh and I have considered switching her to a low back booster instead (wouldn't be visible from the outside of the car) but I worry that they are not safe enough!

What do you think?

P.S. I don't want to hear that she should still be in a 5 point harness. I've made my peace with that battle already and am happy with the safety of her booster for her age. Both of my younger children are in 5 points in high limit seats.
My son is also in the 3rd grade, 52 inches and 48 lbs. He has a high back booster and he just tells people that he still needs it and if they do not like it, tough! He actually has one in my mom's car too. My pediatrician told me the magic number is 4 feet 9 inches. Once he is that tall, we can take him out of the booster no matter what his weight is.

Best wishes to you. You could try to no-back booster or the Turbo booster that we have in a very similar color to the car.

Take care!
Jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

momoftworedheads is offline  
#17 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 AM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftworedheads View Post
My son is also in the 3rd grade, 52 inches and 48 lbs. He has a high back booster and he just tells people that he still needs it and if they do not like it, tough! He actually has one in my mom's car too. My pediatrician told me the magic number is 4 feet 9 inches. Once he is that tall, we can take him out of the booster no matter what his weight is.

Best wishes to you. You could try to no-back booster or the Turbo booster that we have in a very similar color to the car.

Take care!
Jen
What if he doesn't reach that until he's 18? Would you still have him in a booster going to high school? I have a good friend (age 41) who is only 4'8" - should she still be in a booster?
vbactivist is offline  
#18 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 AM
 
lemurmommies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ON everyday, but PQ in my heart
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I have a good friend (age 41) who is only 4'8" - should she still be in a booster?
In terms of safety, anyone who doesn't pass the 5 Step Test should really be riding in a booster to ensure that their seat belt fits properly. Your 4'8" friend probably doesn't pass the test in many vehicles (I know I don't, at 5'0".) But the problem with adults and boosters is usually weight - most of us aren't light enough to ride in one, even if it would help immensely with seat belt fit and car passenger safety.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
lemurmommies is offline  
#19 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
SpringRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: in a temperate rainforest
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the responses. You have given me a lot to think about. I'm happy with her in the HBB for now but I am wondering where to draw the line with small sized kids. As a 3rd grader, a booster is one thing, but what about a 4th grader? 5 grader? Middle Schooler?

So far we have just made using the booster a matter of fact thing that is non-negotiable and let her know it is a necessary safety device when she complains about it. She doesn't even know we've been talking about when we should move her out of the HBB... I do worry about her socially though. She is small and semi delayed in her gross motor skills. This causes her that get a fair about of teasing from the kids at school. She's a 3rd grader in the 2/3 class in a very small Charter School and is still smaller than all the other kids in her class.

I don't think this will be as much of an issue with my younger kids as they are much bigger for their ages and more likely to out-grow their seats before age and social pressures become a big factor. We live in a very small town and do very little driving... which is ironic considering that we have 2 cars and own 3 parkways, 1 Regent, 1 Boulevard, and 2 Radians. I've also gone through 4 other convertible seats and 2 infant seats since my dd was born! Car seat safety is a BIG deal to me. So is my dd's mental wellbeing. I always thought that she would be restrained in the safest possible seat for the maximum amount of time and have already had to let go of the 5 point harness issue for similar reasons. It's a very hard line to walk...

My dh would really love to teach her some snarky come backs about how the tormentor in questions parents must not care much about their safety or if they die... but he is, thankfully, restraining himself! I would love to go knock their little heads together though!!

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
SpringRain is offline  
#20 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 AM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From a safety perspective, there isn't any "too old" really. There is a "too big", but that really doesnt correlate with age. If the child is so big as to not be able to fit into a booster, and the seat belt fits correctly without one, and the 5 step test is passed, then certainly not using one is the most appropriate thing to do.

In terms of trying to mesh physical and emotional safety..that can be hard.

Unfortunately, your child is REALLY, REALLY small. I'm assuming this is just the way she has always been, and from a genetics standpoint, she is destined to be a very petite adult? To be honest....she will likely NEED a booster for a long time.
Have you tested her (in private at home of course) in your vehicle? How well does she fit into the seat belt in her hbb, versus a backless, vs just the seatbelt?? At that size/height, i can not imagine the belts, even if they are adjustable, even come close to fitting. I know as a barely 5 ft tall woman, the vast majority of belts do not fit me correctly, and I've got a FOOT on her.
I would just try it out. If using a backless booster allows her to fit correctly into the belt, then i would probably feel okay using it. no wait...i'm going to take that back, because that is not true. I would "personally" not at all feel okay using a backless booster for "my" child. I would feel okay, as a tech, okaying "another parent" to use a backless booster for "their" child, in this situation. *MY* child will be harnessed at that size, regardless of age.

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
#21 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 AM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=bobandjess99;12254344]From a safety perspective, there isn't any "too old" really. There is a "too big", but that really doesnt correlate with age. If the child is so big as to not be able to fit into a booster, and the seat belt fits correctly without one, and the 5 step test is passed, then certainly not using one is the most appropriate thing to do.

In terms of trying to mesh physical and emotional safety..that can be hard.

Unfortunately, your child is REALLY, REALLY small. I'm assuming this is just the way she has always been, and from a genetics standpoint, she is destined to be a very petite adult? To be honest....she will likely NEED a booster for a long time.
Have you tested her (in private at home of course) in your vehicle? How well does she fit into the seat belt in her hbb, versus a backless, vs just the seatbelt?? At that size/height, i can not imagine the belts, even if they are adjustable, even come close to fitting. I know as a barely 5 ft tall woman, the vast majority of belts do not fit me correctly, and I've got a FOOT on her.
I would just try it out. If using a backless booster allows her to fit correctly into the belt, then i would probably feel okay using it. no wait...i'm going to take that back, because that is not true. I would "personally" not at all feel okay using a backless booster for "my" child. I would feel okay, as a tech, okaying "another parent" to use a backless booster for "their" child, in this situation. *MY* child will be harnessed at that size, regardless of age.[/QUOTE]

really? (not being snarky here, just truly incredulous) even at 13? 15? 17?
vbactivist is offline  
#22 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 AM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 8,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm not the pp you are asking, but yes i would. i will keep my children harnessed to the very last moment i can safely do so. then in a belt positioning booster as long as they safely can. and only when they pass the 5 step test will they sit without a booster. in any/every car they ride in. my childrens safety is more important to me than their popularity with their peers. i'd rather have an alive unpopular child than a dead one.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
#23 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 AM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
i'm not the pp you are asking, but yes i would. i will keep my children harnessed to the very last moment i can safely do so. then in a belt positioning booster as long as they safely can. and only when they pass the 5 step test will they sit without a booster. in any/every car they ride in. my childrens safety is more important to me than their popularity with their peers. i'd rather have an alive unpopular child than a dead one.
wow. I think it's easy to think you'll do something with a child (teen) before you actually have a teen. I'd be really disappointed in parent that would force a teen to use a booster seat. Risk vs. benefits, people. Cars are dangerous. Even in a booster seat. Pleas don't humiliate your older child in that way.
vbactivist is offline  
#24 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 01:42 AM
 
SAHDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: surrounded by the Joneses
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, SpringRain, my heart goes out to you! I'm in the same boat with my teeny-tiny ones. Actually, I have a thread in here about how long to keep my LOs in their seats.

My DD is in 4th grade and still in a HBB. She just hit 50 lbs. and is 51". DS is in 2nd grade and in a HBB. He's only 42 lbs. and 46" (he also has delayed development, Dyspraxia, etc.). Thankfully, neither of them have been on the receiving end of any taunts. I doubt their friends even now they ride in boosters, our car is tinted and high (it's an SUV), so they can't really see anyway. I know a few of their friends are in boosters too, though. Also, mine don't care. They know it's a rule and aren't even interested in riding w/o them yet. I know the time will come, though.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
SAHDS is offline  
#25 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 AM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, okay, you got me. from a genetics standpoint, my dd will be as large as the OP's probably at age 6 or so..not 13 or whatever. so it's a fairly moot question. to be completely honest, it is never truly possible, I do not believe, to make a decision about a situation that you are not personally in. So it is possible, that at some point, I will find myself in a similar situation and find myself making choices that right now, are not the ones i *think* I would make. I absolutely allow for that. I know the OP said she too was committed to CPS, and had planned to keep her kids as safe as possible as long as possible, so there you go.
however, right now, my plan is to harness both kids until age 8 if possible, and given the available seats on the market and my children's sizes, it is probably a realistic goal. And to booster for as long after that as necesary, in a HBB, because of the additional side impact protection they provide.

My ds, unlike dd, is very, very tiny. I can see him easily still Rfing at age 4+ and being harnessed until 10+, if he follows a similar growth pattern to his older brothers and given his current size.

From a medical standpoint, it is going to be virtually impossible for a child over 10 yrs of age to be as small as the OPs child. Her child is at the very bottom percentiles for size at age 8, and at age 10, the size in question is literally off the charts. So only a very negligible number of parents will ever even have to address the issue. Yes, if my child were that size at age 10, I woudl still harness. Acxtually, up until age 12, I would harness. At that point, the musculature and skeleton is approximately as strong as an adults, and I would feel comfortable letting my own extremely small child out of a harness, even if they were the size of the OP's child - but again, that possibiltiy is so remote as to be virtually impossible.

My 11 year old, 70 lb, 56 inch stepson uses a HBB in my car with no problems whatsoever. I don't think it has ever occurred to him to complain about it. (cuz trust me, the stepkids hate me most of the time and complain they would!!)

Also, to be honest..i'm sort of a $itch. I'd have no problems teaching my kids to use smart-butt remarks, and using them myself. And bratty, mean kids?? Oh yes, they'd be told about themselves.

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
#26 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 AM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
wow. I think it's easy to think you'll do something with a child (teen) before you actually have a teen. I'd be really disappointed in parent that would force a teen to use a booster seat. Risk vs. benefits, people. Cars are dangerous. Even in a booster seat. Pleas don't humiliate your older child in that way.
never mind, i dont want to risk being banned for coming across as rude.

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
#27 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 AM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
well, okay, you got me. from a genetics standpoint, my dd will be as large as the OP's probably at age 6 or so..not 13 or whatever. so it's a fairly moot question. to be completely honest, it is never truly possible, I do not believe, to make a decision about a situation that you are not personally in. So it is possible, that at some point, I will find myself in a similar situation and find myself making choices that right now, are not the ones i *think* I would make. I absolutely allow for that. I know the OP said she too was committed to CPS, and had planned to keep her kids as safe as possible as long as possible, so there you go.
however, right now, my plan is to harness both kids until age 8 if possible, and given the available seats on the market and my children's sizes, it is probably a realistic goal. And to booster for as long after that as necesary, in a HBB, because of the additional side impact protection they provide.

My ds, unlike dd, is very, very tiny. I can see him easily still Rfing at age 4+ and being harnessed until 10+, if he follows a similar growth pattern to his older brothers and given his current size.

From a medical standpoint, it is going to be virtually impossible for a child over 10 yrs of age to be as small as the OPs child. Her child is at the very bottom percentiles for size at age 8, and at age 10, the size in question is literally off the charts. So only a very negligible number of parents will ever even have to address the issue. Yes, if my child were that size at age 10, I woudl still harness. Acxtually, up until age 12, I would harness. At that point, the musculature and skeleton is approximately as strong as an adults, and I would feel comfortable letting my own extremely small child out of a harness, even if they were the size of the OP's child - but again, that possibiltiy is so remote as to be virtually impossible.

My 11 year old, 70 lb, 56 inch stepson uses a HBB in my car with no problems whatsoever. I don't think it has ever occurred to him to complain about it. (cuz trust me, the stepkids hate me most of the time and complain they would!!)

Also, to be honest..i'm sort of a $itch. I'd have no problems teaching my kids to use smart-butt remarks, and using them myself. And bratty, mean kids?? Oh yes, they'd be told about themselves.

thank you, jess,m, for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate your honesty and the info about a 12 year olds musculature.

Peace.
vbactivist is offline  
#28 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 AM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 8,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
wow. I think it's easy to think you'll do something with a child (teen) before you actually have a teen. I'd be really disappointed in parent that would force a teen to use a booster seat. Risk vs. benefits, people. Cars are dangerous. Even in a booster seat. Pleas don't humiliate your older child in that way.
children are humiliated by their parents everyday in many ways, from the clothes the parents wears, to their hairstyle, to giving hugs and kisses at dropoff, etc, i think if my children are humiliated by riding as safe as they possibly can in the car, regardless of how everyone else rides, then i havent done my job properly in teaching them about my golden rule, which is "what is right isnt always popular, and what is popular isnt always right."
i really would absolutely NOT put my child in a less safe situation in the car to keep them from being teased. absolutely not.
like i said before i would rather have an alive unpopular child, than a dead one. for ME, safety does not get compromised for feelings. no ifs ands or buts about it.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
#29 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM
 
Twinklefae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 4,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
wow. I think it's easy to think you'll do something with a child (teen) before you actually have a teen. I'd be really disappointed in parent that would force a teen to use a booster seat. Risk vs. benefits, people. Cars are dangerous. Even in a booster seat. Pleas don't humiliate your older child in that way.
Well, it's not just about "humiliating" them. I'm also a shorter woman, and I would use a booster in a heartbeat. (if they made one that would be safe at my weight) Ask that friend of yours who is 4'8" and I bet she'd say the same thing. It's really uncomfortable to ride in a car with the seatbelt digging into your neck. It's actually MORE COMFORTABLE to ride if the seatbelt is adjusted for your height. So if your teen is even halfways reasonable, (and I'll admit not all are) it shouldn't be hard to convince them. My bff's mother is tiny... and has to sit on a cushion to see over the dash when she drives. Wouldn't it be nicer if she had a booster that would also help adjust the seatbelt? (And would be safer in a crash?)

OP, I would suggest your daughter explain it from a comfort point of view. "The seatbelt really digs into my neck if I don't use the booster. It's like my own personal recliner in the car, cuz it's soooo comfy!"

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!
 
Twinklefae is offline  
#30 of 65 Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 AM
 
Patchfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: S.S. Guns 'N' Handcuffs
Posts: 1,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP, my daughter is the same size & age as yours, although I think she may be a couple of inches taller by now - same weight exactly! And in the same HBB.

We do homeschool, so she doesn't get asked very often, but when she or I is asked, we explain that she's still small and doesn't weight much, so the booster is necessary. So far, that has pretty much quieted people though I'm sure some of the moms I know talk about it behind my back.

As far as how old... well, we are lucky in that my aunt still has my 9 yo 4th grade cousin in a HBB, so dd doesn't think that using one through age 9 is odd. So far she states her intention to keep using a booster "until she outgrows it" but we'll see. Dh have an informal agreement to re-evaluate at either 10 or 11, depending on her growth pattern between now and then.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Patchfire is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off