How do I safely get pee out of car seat straps??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD (who has been fully PT for a few months now) has recently started peeing every time she gets in her car seat, I dont know why, she even says "wee-wee" when she sees it <sigh> I can remove the cover and wash it safely, I also have lined the seat with a towel which helps, but what about the straps? They dont come off the seat and I can only sponge them with water as far as I can tell, I have done this but they are starting to really stink of pee.

What can I safely use to clean them & get rid of the smell without damaging them and making them unsafe, please help!!!

Btw _ I have a Britax Eclipse Si car seat

Thank you.

Linda

sahm mama to dd1 08/08/06 and dd2 27/11/07.. dreaming of her own smallholding one day...
#2 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 05:35 PM

I would possibly sponge clean them if your manual allows for it and then once dry cover them in baking soda and let it sit overnight. Then brush, or vaccuum the backing soda off. Hopefully the baking soda will absorb some of the smell. Once this stops happening I'd order a new set of straps for the seat. I'm not sure what else to suggest.
#3 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 05:38 PM

spray them with white vinegar in a spray bottle. Then let it dry. They will stink until it dries to high heaven like vinegar but when it dries it takes its smell and the pee pee smell with it and has germ killing properties. We have used it on carpet in the past for pet accidents and it is safe for fabrics.
#4 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

thank you so much for your suggestions, I really appreciate it

sahm mama to dd1 08/08/06 and dd2 27/11/07.. dreaming of her own smallholding one day...
#5 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 06:09 PM

If you decide to spray them, make sure not to saturate them. This would effectively be the same as soaking them, which is a no no. Soaking a car seat harness could weaken it's fibres, causing the potential for it to be ineffective in an accident. Car seat harnesses are not the same as carpet.

I also don't know if I'd line her seat with a towel. Maybe you could put her in some type of training pant when she needs to ride in the car.
#6 of 8 Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 PM

You can completely remove the straps for washing.

Take it out of the car, flip it over and start at the between-the-knees adjuster. Pull it out and follow it up to where that one strap connects to the two shoulder straps.

They all come out... and while you are at it, wash the cover.

Oh and you might want to make notes about how it came apart... so you can easily put it back together.
#7 of 8 Old 09-28-2008, 11:59 PM

If the manual says don't remove the straps, then don't. If it doesn't say, then call Britax and ask.

Would it be possible to put her in a waterproof cover for car rides to keep the straps dry from now on?

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#8 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Check your manual, on both our seats you can remove the crotch strap to clean the buckle. You can then get to the whole length of the webbing.

I'd also air it out in the sun if possible.

Britax has the manuals available for download on their website.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page