Three year old unbuckling harness in the car - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-16-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has started unbuckling the harness on his car seat, So far it does not seem that he has done it while the car is moving, but it's only a matter of time. I have talked to him about safety, why he can't do this, etc., but he does not appear to be able to quite comprehend yet. Short of not using the car, what can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 PM

How old is he?

The only thing I know of that you can do is to put the prickly side of some velcro on the tab. He (hopefully) will not like the sensation and will learn to leave it alone.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#3 of 6 Old 10-18-2008, 01:55 PM

plan a trip somewhere he likes - warn him in advance that if he touches the buckle, you will go home - and then follow through.

Let him buckle/unbuckle the seat when you get in/out of the car - tell him he can only unbuckle when you get to where you are going and you say its ok.

get a different carseat thats harder to unbuckle

velcro on the button

stop the car every time he messes with it, do this EVERY TIME until he stops.

have someone ride in the back seat with him

stay home or walk.
#4 of 6 Old 10-18-2008, 04:05 PM

^ great advice all around ^

How we handled it was to tell them to stop immediately. We pulled over the car, rebuckled them and told them to never do that again and explained why.
#5 of 6 Old 10-18-2008, 05:04 PM

My ds unbuckles when it's time to get out. That's it. He did used to play with the lever on his Britax Boulevard and lean forward at the same time, causing the straps to loosen. I absolutely refused to drive when he did that. And did lots of explaining about why he is in his seat and why it is important.

I know he has the capability to unbuckle on his own. He has simply learned not to do it when the car is in motion.

Could you slide something over the buckle (like maybe a section of sock) that would make it harder to undo?

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#6 of 6 Old 10-18-2008, 05:31 PM

I made a cover for it, just cut out the shape & sew it around, with a zip, you can put a luttle "lock" on the zip so he can't open it.
It works for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page