Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM1LJaOIu34

Enjoy!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Thank you! I've seen those pics of Brendan before, but I don't know where they went. This will make it easier to show people why not to use bulky coats.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

There was a good post recently on c-s.org that I should pull too, it has some great pics of coats and such.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:14 PM

Now I know my geekiness knows no bounds. I recognized all those pics form posts on another site.

We have a homemade poncho with ducks on it.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:13 PM

I recognize you both from another site.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
I recognize you both from another site.
Just one?! Forum hussy!

Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Just one?! Forum hussy!
I think so... LOL I think you're the only one who knows I'm a dirty little forum wh***.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
I think so... LOL I think you're the only one who knows I'm a dirty little forum wh***.
Not now, everyone knows! What are you guys doing for Timmy's b-day? I just realized like today that his b-day is the same as my mom's. We're having a joint party for Evan and Ilana on the 15th. She's getting a Joovy infant seat for her birthday, lol, she'll love it!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Not now, everyone knows! What are you guys doing for Timmy's b-day? I just realized like today that his b-day is the same as my mom's. We're having a joint party for Evan and Ilana on the 15th. She's getting a Joovy infant seat for her birthday, lol, she'll love it!
Wow, it's sneaking up on me! We won't be doing anything special on the day, but maybe turning him FFing. I just weighed him and he's 32.8lbs!!! Two months ago he was 26-27lbs, I don't know where these last few came from!

This Sunday will be going to a bday party for another Nov. 06 baby. I don't know if you know her or not... her name is Abi and she was pretty quiet on the board until we moved to the spinoffs. She lives in Raleigh so we hang out all the time. She's pregnant right now and due in February so she told me she had seen you around Feb boards, but didn't want to freak you out if she said anything to you. Anyway, her DS turned two yesterday so they're having a party. Then next Sunday we'll have a small party. I felt bad for never splurging on Timmy so I bought him a Kettler trike that he'll love.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe the scale was wrong?! He weighs as much as Evan does, lol, he gets to go ffing on his b-day. I told DH I might let Ilana ride w/ him now in his truck if he wanted to take her somewhere since we only do ffing seats in there, it's a single cab. She's never been ffing and I know she'll be the one that once she does, she won't want to go back, she's always trying to get into AJ's seat. She was 26.5# and 32.5" at her appt the other day. Her iron is low so we have to start giving her drops, but I doubt those drops have any more in them than the normal vitamins she gets so we'll probably stop them. I was thinking they were just going to give us iron drops, not viatmin drops. She doesn't eat enough though to try and increase it in her food though, I'm not sure how she gained 6# this past year! Her and Evan are both low, Evan has always been slightly low, nothing has ever changed it. I've been reading that a lot of kids w/ ADHD have really low iron though, so I'm going to work on him and see if it helps somehow w/ his behavior. I just bought him a kiddy leash yesterday. Tell Abi to tell me hi, I get random e-mails and messages from people constantly, generally about carseats, lol. I love the attention!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:55 AM

LOL I'll have tell you hi!

Have you ever had your kids tested for Celiac Disease? The tests can be inaccurate in children, but they have some of the symptoms so it might be worth looking into. DH has is it and because of cross contamination the whole house went gluten free. My ADD symptoms have almost completely disappeared and my iron is in normal levels for the first time in years! Although Aly was pretty tall, she hadn't grown in a long time and she shot up a few inches when we went GF (it could have been a coincidence, but Timmy grew too). Timmy stopped growing when he was 9 mos and now he's slowly catching up with everyone else in height, and surpassing them in weight, lol.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:23 PM

Sorry to interrupt the personal conversation going on here, but I wanted to thank the OP for posting this video! I hadn't thought of putting the straps under the coat and zipping it up over them.

Also if anyone has a pattern for a car seat poncho, especially one that doesn't require sewing like mentioned in the video, I would love a link.

Thanks!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 11-06-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Feel free to interrupt, we do this often, thankfully it's my thread this time so I don't feel bad, lol. I don't have a pattern. I made one last year and had to take the hood off b/c it just ridiculous. Had I not put the hood on in the first place, it wouldn't have been too hard. I think I did 1yd x 1yd, but you could do it bigger for a bigger child and do velcro or buttons instead of a zipper if you don't really sew. I have a pic if you want to see mine. Fleece doesn't ravel so the ends don't need sewn together. If you could find a really heavy fleece, you just do the decorative edge by hand and just make a little hole for the head w/ maybe some velcro down a little bit like a polo shirt has those buttons at the top. Does that make sense?

He has been tested for celiac and he was gluten free for 4 mos last year this time. I was tested earlier this year as well. We did it mainly for growth though, not behavior. Didn't help either, but his behavior has gotten worse since he got his tonsils out since he has more energy now, yay. He has gained 4# since he had them out in August though, so it definitely helped his growth and the apnea has stopped! I looked and their vitamins we use don't have any iron in them, is that odd? I guess we'll have to get new ones, we're out anyways. If I added just an iron supplement, that's like 6 vitamins a day if they get them all. Normal ones, calcium, omega-3, and then iron! I need to find one w/ everything in it. We bought stuff today for a sticker chart and we used our leash again at Wal-Mart and it was night and day difference, it was NOT bad to go shopping today, yay! He walked nicely w/ me and didn't run and jump and whine etc.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:09 PM

Yeah, sorry for the hijack, we're really bad about that!

I think it's normal for most kids vitamins not to have iron, since it can be toxic in large doses. I glanced at ours and they don't have any. I'm sorry you had to buy a kiddie leash, but glad to hear he's behaving better. I'm sure that's frustrating. That's also great that he's gaining weight!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 PM

The coat thing was pretty neat. I have always transported kiddos to daycare - one way trip to a heated garage - so we heated up the car before we left, and then parked in heat garage so it wasn't a big issue (they went without coats). My husband helped get us out the door each morning

However, now we have the 5-10minute drive to school, the walk into the playground and one person doing all of that with four little kiddos. Putting on coats in a cold minivan in the playground isn't as pratical as the old one way trip to a heated garage, especially if this winter was like last winter. [I walked to school last year - and snowpants/coats/mitts/hats for four kiddos was so so stressful - I hate the idea of adding the car to equation this year since we have moved.]

We will have to work on the coat thing - it should work, espcially if the oldest pair (4 and 6) can do up their own coats (without losing their mittens of course).

What happens with boosters though? Can they wear their coats - same as I do with my winter coat under a seat belt? We have thin coats (really really warm coats for Cdn winters but still thin)
Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks! Good reminder about winter safety. If polar fleece is okay, I'd think thin coats would be okay, too. It seems like what they're talking about is the big puffy coats.
Also, I noticed that a lot of the babies in the pics weren't wearing hats, probably b/c they were inside when the pic was taken, but just a reminder that hats are important for winter wellness, too!

so many roads to ease my soul...

Old 11-09-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

If you can keep a hat on your kid, more power to you.

Heavy coats are not good for anyone in a car b/c of compression, but are less of a concern IMO than the harness. I think just unzipping the coat and kind of wrapping it around the seatbelt would work.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:49 PM

great link!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM

Ok, having just pulled out ds1's winter coat...
Can someone re-explain to me the coat manuever. I didn't really follow it on the video.
TIA
April

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 AM

just strap them in first, then put coat on backwards. its simple, cheap and very safe!!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.

User Tag List