Spin off poll: How long did or will your child RF? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: When did or will you turn your child FFing?
Less than one year old and 20 lbs. 10 100.00%
At one year and 20 lbs. 39 100.00%
At or around 30 lbs. 31 100.00%
At or around age 2 42 100.00%
At or around age 3 18 100.00%
At the weight or height limit of my child's seat 108 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is barely 2 and 25 pounds. The rear-facing max is 33 for her seat, so we will probably be turning her around 3.5 years. I might have been tempted to turn her a little sooner, but her head is so giant (like a four year old's) for her body size (petite), that I am scared a little nudge from another car would be enough to snap her almost non-existent neck.

: 10/06 : 10/09
#62 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 AM

My oldest dd will be 3 in February and is still RF. She is 26 lbs. We will continue to RF until she is 33lbs, which is the weight limit on the Britax Decathlon for RF.
#63 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 01:14 AM

Wow, to those who voted they are turning their infant FF prior to one year and 20 lbs, please explain
#64 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowerofnada View Post
Wow, to those who voted they are turning their infant FF prior to one year and 20 lbs, please explain
It might not have been that they *will*, but rather that they *did*. When my oldest was born, seats only rear-faced to 20 (or maybe it was 22) pounds, so if your 9 month old was 20 pounds, you had to flip them.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#65 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 AM

Oh, ok....that makes more sense. You live, you learn....
#66 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 AM

My oldest two (who are now 17 and 14) rf only until about 1 yr. That was when we were told to turn them, and I think the limit of the seat.
Well, DS#2 is 16 mos old, not 20 lbs yet, but it doesn't matter. He will rf until the seat limit (35 lbs). Although I have to be honest, if he is 7 or 8 and still not 35 lbs I may go ahead and ff.

I have been researching and reading things here from all the cpst mamas and am very greatful for your knowledge. If it hadn't been for this, I may have turned him at 20 lbs b/c "that's what you do". My dh thinks I'm crazy for talking about rf for much longer b/c we don't see anyone around here that does that. Of course, that doesn't mean its right. (I am right, of course,but we won't tell him)
#67 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
The poll was for what you did and what you plan to do. I mentioned earlier that we turned DD at 11.5 mos, but I guess I didn't explain. We didn't know any better and DH said something like, "well she has to turn in a week or two anyway," so we turned her. Notice the key word there? Has. We never stopped to think about leaving her RFing. Also, she was riding in the old Evenflo Triumph 5, which had a funny rule about which harness setting you could use RFing and which you could use FFing, which was a problem for us.

I actually learned something from that experience. When DD was 2.5 year old and outgrew that seat I knew she wasn't anywhere near ready to ride in a booster. I met a carseat tech on another board (she happens to be here too) and she helped me pick out a seat that would keep her harness for a long time. She also inspired me to start learning more about car seats and safety so I read everything I could get my hands on. My DS turned two today and he is still RFing. Sadly, he's at the weight limit for his seat so he will be turning FFing.
#68 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 PM

Just a question, but what carseats are you guys using?

My first carseat with ds1 was rf only with a height limit of 26in, which my son surpassed at three months old. We had to buy a second car seat that was convertible, but still he surpassed the height limit by 11 months old. We kept him rf until he was one year old, by which time he was four inches over the limit, but nowhere near the weight limit. Our mw told us we needed to turn him around (1 yr, 23 lbs) because it was very dangerous for his legs to be straight up against the backseat like they were.

My son was two in July, but wears 4T clothes because he is so tall. What carseat do you use that would allow a VERY tall child to stay in it as long as they should?
#69 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Ugh, I hate it when misinformation is spread like that You can use a seat until the child's head is an inch from the top of the seat. The legs are not a concern in the least.

CPST & mom

#70 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Momma View Post
My son was two in July, but wears 4T clothes because he is so tall. What carseat do you use that would allow a VERY tall child to stay in it as long as they should?
The Sunshine Kids Radian, The First Years True Fit are two seats that will keep your child rear-facing for the longest likely (due to their tall shell height). I believe the True Fit actually has a taller shell height so will keep a child rear-facing the longest, but the Radian should keep them forward facing a little longer due to a taller harness height. Harness height doesn't matter for RF as it does for FF as shoulders are above the harness slots in RF.

There are likely a few more seats available in the U.S. that would work for you. I'm in Canada, so we don't have as much choice, but the 2 seats I mentioned are available in both countries (althought the Radian has a lower RF weight limit in Canada).

For RF you can keep them that way until their head is within 1" of the top of the shell AND they are under the weight limit for RF. For FF, they need to be within the FF weight limit, tips of ears no higher than the top of the shell, and shoulders not over the top harness slot.

And I hope that an_aurora will correct me if I've misspoken anywhere!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#71 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 07:32 PM

I voted 1 yr & 20 lbs... but that wasn't the reason or exactly the time for turning either of my kiddos. I fully expected & planned to keep them RF for as long as possible. We even got the highest RF weight seats (after months of researching the possibility of importing swedish seats with even higher RF limits).

But in the end, both I turned around the 14/15 month time period because they SCREAMED EVERY TIME WE WERE IN THE CAR. Didn't matter the length of the trip. Didn't matter music, snacks, books, toys, singing, pacifier, me in the back, lights on, lights off, daytime, nighttime, windows open, windows closed. We switched brand of carseats several times. Always fed, fresh clothes, fresh diaper before travelling. Didn't matter.

And because not driving is NOT an option, it was INFINITELY safer to turn my children when I did (and they were both obv. over the 20lb & 1yr mark), than to endure or put them through further torture.

Their bodies & brains suffer when they scream (as is documented in CIO research). And when my babies scream, my body responds. And its flatly unsafe to drive in that state.

Edited to add:

I still advocate for RF for as long as possible, and I recommend the Britax CS to my freinds.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#72 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
It might not have been that they *will*, but rather that they *did*. When my oldest was born, seats only rear-faced to 20 (or maybe it was 22) pounds, so if your 9 month old was 20 pounds, you had to flip them.
Yup, that's the reason. When my older kids were little, the rec was to turn them at 20 lbs or 1 year, whichever came first. Which means lots of tubby 5 month old babies were forward facing, and other things that horrify us now.

Butcha know, I didn't sit in a car seat when I was a baby. My mom put us in a car bed until we were mobile, then in a harnessed seat. My grandma put her babies in a laundry basket on the backseat. My dad never even wore a seatbelt until he was in his late teens. Things change.

computergeek2.gif

#73 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 PM

I turned ds at 18 months or so. He was (and still is) in the now-discontinued Britax Wizard. That seat has huge headwings, for sip, and ds would get frustrated that he couldn't see out the window and then he would tuck his head on the wrong side of the headwing. So he was sort of doubled over, with his neck under the headwing. It was not safe at all and was freaking me out every time we drove. In an accident, his neck would have gotten crushed. It was much safer to turn him forward. Britax redesigned those headwings in newer models, thank goodness.

Dd will rf until the weight limit of her seat.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#74 of 85 Old 11-13-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't mark that, but I turned my oldest at 11 mos and 23#. Obviously I was NOT a carseat tech yet, lol. We went on a trip to see my dying grandfather, just me and him and I thought it would be easier if he ff, he was a big boy afterall right. I never turned him back around after that trip b/c he was close to 1. I learned better and he went back rfing at 27 mos and stayed that way till 34 mos when he outgrew his AO and Scenera in height and hit 34#. Evan is going to go ffing on his 4th birthday, I told him he could. He's just about outgrown his Avenue both rfing and ffing at the same time b/c of height! We'll have to steal his BV back from his sister (it needs some new foam anyways I can't order right now) and let him use that till we get the new Radians in January. Ilana should make it till 3.5yo, so you can teach an old dog new tricks. I think that's why I get SOOOO mad at people who say 'well, that's how we did it w/ our older kids and they're just fine'. Good for them. Whoever shared the phrase w/ me 'when you know better, you do better' was right on the money.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#75 of 85 Old 11-14-2008, 12:21 AM

We turned DD at 15mo and 30 lbs, b/c we had a CS and it only RF'ed until 30 lbs. Then we borrowed a Scenera and RF'd her again, but it was a disaster--she started throwing up every.single.time. we got in the car. We FF'd her again at 16 mo. and in a Nautilus, which is by far the best carseat we've used.

She grew quickly, though--at 18 mo she is 34 1/2 lbs, and so we only had two months where she was "inappropriately" FF'ing. Of course, you could argue that at 18 mo she weighs an inappropriate amount...

Mommy to DD 5-07
#76 of 85 Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 AM

I'm planning to keep her RF until 35 lbs, which I hope will get her through at least 2 years, preferably 3. She's a big girl, though. I got her a TrueFit just because of the extra shell height so she hopefully won't have to turn because of height before 35lb. Though she's really long torsoed so there's no way to be sure.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#77 of 85 Old 11-14-2008, 05:16 PM

DS - At the seat's limit of 33lbs, which happened at a mere 16 months. DS did scream in the car so I had to limit my trips. I stayed off the highway since it was too stressful with his screaming. He did do much better if I sat next to him.

DD - Likely around 30 lbs just because I'm pg and our car will fit one rf seat better than two rf seats. She'll be about 3 years old and 30lbs when this baby is born.

DS due in Feb- At the seat's limit, which would be 33lb or 35lbs depending on what seat I get.

Quote:
I found that height wasn't an issue rf, but was ff. My son is very tall and has a super long torso. He hit 35lbs and 36" at 18 months - and would have been too tall for any standard convertible seat at that point even ff! Definately get one of the convertible seats that are up to 65lbs or more. My son outgrew him Britax Marathon ff right before 3, despite the 65lb limit due to his long torso. He's now in a Britax Regent, which is up to 80lbs, but he'll outgrow that by 6 years old likely. (Regent is ff only. I bought it to keep him in a 5-pt harness longer).
#78 of 85 Old 11-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemom3 View Post
we don't see anyone around here that does that. )

i could show you a couple.... LOL. I've also gotten at least 4 of the HMN families to buy nautiluses to extended harness their 3-4+ kids in....

CPST
#79 of 85 Old 11-15-2008, 12:54 AM

At the weight limit of our Radian (33 lbs.) which was at 2.5, with my youngest, and at 18 mos. (barely over 20 lbs.) with my oldest.
#80 of 85 Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM

I turned my son around at 14 months, I think, but I didn't know about anything other than bucket seats for rear facing, and he was too big for it anymore. That said, he enjoyed the car sooo much more when he could see what was going on.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#81 of 85 Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 PM

I'll turn him when he reaches the height or weight limit of the seat. He is now 18 months and 27 pounds or so so I have time.

I also hate it when people say "I can't believe he is still RF! What about his poor legs." Argh...

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#82 of 85 Old 11-19-2008, 11:05 PM

I'd like to say 100% that I'd do it until they reached the limits of the seat, but if the tyke's 4 and still small enough to be rear facing, I'd probably switch. We were very small kids, so it is possible. I don't think I was 35lbs until around age 6, I might have been over 16" seated height, but it would have been close. I was a head shorter than everyone else.
#83 of 85 Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 PM

My Dd is almost 17 mo and is RF in her Britax Marathon. I plan to keep her RF as long as her BM permits. The weight limit is 35 lbs (I don't know about the RF height limit...I will have to learn more about that feature). Dd is only about 23 lbs. So, hopefully she will be able to RF for a good while longer.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#84 of 85 Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 PM

DD1 is 28 months and still RF in her Boulevard. It RF until 33 lbs but we also have a Marathon that RF til 35 lbs. So when DD2 (2 months) outgrows her bucket I'll put her in the Boulevard so DD1 can RF until 35 lb.

That is really stupid they don't change the laws to a higher RF limit. Even the very inexpensive seats (like the $40 Scenera we have in my mom's car) RF until 35 lb now. I think a lot of parents just assume FF is just as safe once the kid hits 1 year and 20 lb.
#85 of 85 Old 11-21-2008, 12:00 AM

IIRC I kept ds rf until he was over the weight limit. At the time I didn't know what to do. The limit was 30 lbs but he hit that at 10 months.

I don't know anyone who RF longer than 11 months. They always get antsy and turn them "just a little early".

DD is 18 m and will rf for a long time yet (she's tiny). People are asking me left and right when I will turn her. At least it's a chance to educate people.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page