Mothering Forum banner

marathons for $42 at target.com

22K views 376 replies 107 participants last post by  Pumpkin_Pie 
#1 ·
in granite, cowmooflauge for $59 or something like that.

Hopefully they won't pull the same stunt as baby universe a couple months back

Oh, and they are the 33 lb seats, but a great deal that you can't obviously beat

ETA: the estimated arrival date is mid-december to early january, by the way.

#279 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalmax View Post
I wondered about this too -- also thought of filing a complaint with the state attorney general's office.

I think there are some fishy aspects of this whole thing..

This happens OFTEN with Target and Amazon, as well as other sites, if it was truly illegal, someone would of gotten in trouble by now.

#280 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
This happens OFTEN with Target and Amazon, as well as other sites, if it was truly illegal, someone would of gotten in trouble by now.
Perhaps -- but it could also be that enough complaints will spur a new regulation or law about this.

My feeling is that something is not right with this -- and some external entity needs to investigate. If it was something underhanded, hopefully that will come to light. And if it was truly a mistake, then no harm has been done.

I personally feel like I have to do something...

#281 ·
Quote:

Perhaps -- but it could also be that enough complaints will spur a new regulation or law about this.

My feeling is that something is not right with this -- and some external entity needs to investigate. If it was something underhanded, hopefully that will come to light. And if it was truly a mistake, then no harm has been done.

I think the thing you have to do is stop reading it too it so much (honestly, I mean that in a nice way
). I don't know why you're feeling that this is so wierd. It really does happen ALL. THE. TIME.

Part of my job is to update my boss's website (she's a professional author and speaker). One time I got the price wrong on this package deal she has by $400. I mean...it happens, ya know? (I won't be making that mistake, again, LOL). It's simple DATA ENTRY to update a website like that. You insert a picture, plug in a price.

Target is probably BUMMING that this happened. I think they should give everyone this happened to a $20 gift certificate or something for goodwill, but dang people, it was a MISTAKE!

They also need to get a better system of someone proofreading their website so error like this don't happen again.

But please...don't read into it so much. It really does happen ALL THE TIME it's just in this case the word got out like wildfire.

#282 ·
Quote:

I agree.

What are the chances of it being a typo with two seats? It doesn't seem likely... especially since they didn't correct it for an entire day. Yesterday, customer service reps were saying target would honor the price, today, the orders have been canceled.

#283 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
I agree.

What are the chances of it being a typo with two seats? It doesn't seem likely... especially since they didn't correct it for an entire day. Yesterday, customer service reps were saying target would honor the price, today, the orders have been canceled.

A typo w/ both seats would not be weird, however, if you understood how changes are made on a shopping website.

Really.
: There's not that much to read into here.

#284 ·
Quote:

I agree.

With this happening so quickly and over a weekend, I don't find it at all strange that it took them some time to sort out what exactly was happening and get the story straight, first to their CS people and then to the customers.

Really, what could be so fishy about this? What on earth does Target have to gain by angering a large section of their target population?

#286 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthira View Post
If you look around the web, you will find this isn't the first time this has happened with Target. I wouldn't be so quick to brush this off...

Of course this isn't the first time it happened w/ Target. EVERY website has this happen. I mean, think about it.

If you have a small handful of people managing all of the web updates, there will be errors made. Even if it is a only 1% error rate, that is 1 item in a hundred. Now much of this will go unnoticed. Usually the data entry person would sort of catch on, too. They make errors that are the opposite, too (try to sell something for MORE than the actual price).

This just happens to have garnered a TON of attention due to message boards, email, and blogs. I feel bad for Target to be honest.
How annoying to have so much hassle over a human MISTAKE (and like I said, shame on them for not having their site proofread better. Whenever I make website updates - ESPECIALLY involving things that cost $ - I make sure my coworker looks it over very carefully!!!).

#287 ·
Well, this is one of the things that is great about our country -- we can disagree here.

I don't understand why some people have a strong negative reaction to those of us who want to do something. But again, that is ok.

I am not 100% sure that something was off here -- but it just feels like there was something underhanded.

And as a customer, I have the right to do something and let a 3rd party investigate. That is what I plan to do.

#288 ·
Quote:

Well, this is one of the things that is great about our country -- we can disagree here.

I don't understand why some people have a strong negative reaction to those of us who want to do something. But again, that is ok.

I am not 100% sure that something was off here -- but it just feels like there was something underhanded.

And as a customer, I have the right to do something and let a 3rd party investigate. That is what I plan to do.

I'm not telling you not to do something (I'm curious what, by the way) if that's what you want to do. I never suggested such a thing at all. I'm just asking you to entertain the idea that more likely than not this isn't a big deal - it was a mistake made by a person.

Therefore the only negative reaction I have has to do with me feeling that people are letting the fact that they are upset (which actually I find understandable!) get in the way of looking at this a little more logically and objectively (by letting them know about my personal experiences with web errors).

So, trust me, I'm not all up in arms about you wanting to "do something" and I hope you're not upset that I am trying to provide you an alternative viewpoint.

#289 ·
I am not really that upset, yes I did send them an e-mail stating I was peeved with them. Just to not offer any type of coupon or something in good faith well that where I got upset, and to then "offer" me the same seat at the *awesome* deal of $279, well that's when I got a bit pissed.

I recently got a shirt at JC Penney and they forgot to take the ink tag off, I called them and it is their policy to give a $5 gift card to a customer when this happens(it was the second time for me). At least Target could give you a 10% off code or something for their mistake, I'm mean don't they expect people to be upset at the thought of getting a really good deal. I know things have happened before but this is a major retailer who has definitely upset a large portion of their customers.

All of the CS people I spoke with were very cordial, it's the company that I am upset with. I meant they could have offered people them for even $142, and I bet many people would have bought them. Now they just have a large segment of their demographic upset before the holidays, not too bright IMO.

They could have at least made a decent offer, instead of sending an e-mail with a total rip off price.

#290 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
I am not really that upset, yes I did send them an e-mail stating I was peeved with them. Just to not offer any type of coupon or something in good faith well that where I got upset, and to then "offer" me the same seat at the *awesome* deal of $279, well that's when I got a bit pissed.

I recently got a shirt at JC Penney and they forgot to take the ink tag off, I called them and it is their policy to give a $5 gift card to a customer when this happens(it was the second time for me). At least Target could give you a 10% off code or something for their mistake, I'm mean don't they expect people to be upset at the thought of getting a really good deal. I know things have happened before but this is a major retailer who has definitely upset a large portion of their customers.

All of the CS people I spoke with were very cordial, it's the company that I am upset with. I meant they could have offered people them for even $142, and I bet many people would have bought them. Now they just have a large segment of their demographic upset before the holidays, not too bright IMO.

They could have at least made a decent offer, instead of sending an e-mail with a total rip off price.

I 100% agree that they could/should do something in the name of goodwill (and I think they still will). I said that upthread somewhere, too. Yes, their mistake. Yes, I understand them not following through w/ orders. BUT!!!!! Do *something* to make nice w/ people (although by what I've read I'm not sure it would even help).

#291 ·
Quote:

Anyone is certainly free to "do something." But I am really having a hard time understanding why people are so upset? peeved? irritated? whatever by this. I ordered a seat before I knew all this was going on, thinking it was a genuine offer, but also thinking that it was too good to be true. I don't now think that Target owes me anything. What has this hurt me? It hasn't cost me anything. I certainly wish that I would be getting this fabulous deal, but I don't feel cheated in any way.

I'm really trying hard to understand what is setting off alarms here, because I just don't see it.

#292 ·
I don't understand the suspision and anger myself... I don't expect them to lose that much money over a TYPO.

I also think that people need to realize that there are real HUMANS that enter the data and humans are imperfect. It's a bummer that we didn't get seats but didn't we all sort of know it was too good to be true?

I don't know, I really feel bad for the people having to sort this mess out. I think we should leave them alone to deal with the issue and not harrass them. Just my 2 cents.

#293 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
I'm not telling you not to do something (I'm curious what, by the way) if that's what you want to do. I never suggested such a thing at all. I'm just asking you to entertain the idea that more likely than not this isn't a big deal - it was a mistake made by a person.

Therefore the only negative reaction I have has to do with me feeling that people are letting the fact that they are upset (which actually I find understandable!) get in the way of looking at this a little more logically and objectively (by letting them know about my personal experiences with web errors).

So, trust me, I'm not all up in arms about you wanting to "do something" and I hope you're not upset that I am trying to provide you an alternative viewpoint.

Thanks for clarifying. I may have infused some of your emails with my frustration (one of the dangers of Internet communication).

As far as what I plan to do -- I think I will file a complaint with the BBB as well as contact the attorney general.

#294 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I don't understand the suspision and anger myself... I don't expect them to lose that much money over a TYPO.

I also think that people need to realize that there are real HUMANS that enter the data and humans are imperfect. It's a bummer that we didn't get seats but didn't we all sort of know it was too good to be true?

I don't know, I really feel bad for the people having to sort this mess out. I think we should leave them alone to deal with the issue and not harass them. Just my 2 cents.
Well, in my opinion, we are not just talking about a typo here. I suspect there is more to this. And I don't have a good answer as to what 'it' is.

Why was the typo allowed to be on a website for a HUGE corporation for an entire day? I find it hard to believe that Target is not looking out for itself more closely. Why are some people actually getting their car seats (assuming this is even true)? How is it that a similar (and somewhat reasonable difference in price given the print and lack of print on the two seats) car seat was involved in the typo and not two different brands or even models? And why was the picture of the cow print with brown straps and not black (leading me to believe that it was actually some kind of mistake from Britax that resulted in a good deal).

I am not saying that there is anything malicious going on here. I am saying that there are unanswered questions that leave me skeptical. It is not like we are dealing with a small mom and pops operation here. I have no trouble believing that Target (as a corporation -- not the individuals) puts profit over ethics.

Speaking purely hypothetically here -- what if this was a marketing ploy to determine how many people were willing to pay an extra 10 bucks for the print vs the solid cover?

#295 ·
Quote:

I agree.

My theory is that the person typing the prices had a sticky #2 key. I had a sticky "M" on my laptop for a week and half of everything I posted was missing the letter M. I think someone else mentioned the snow blower, which was also a good $200 less than it should have been.

#296 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dachshund mom View Post
I wasn't too upset about it until I got the cancellation email.

..... Off to BRU I guess.
Let me tell you about BRU CS. I ordered a "My Breast Friend" nursing pillow from them when I was pg after hearing on my due date board that they were on sale for $15.99. A bunch of us ordered them. We all got the COVERS, not the pillows. The page said PILLOW and had a picture and description of the pillow, not just a cover. They refunded the $$ on the cover that we all had to go out of our way to ship back, but they would NOT honor the price. And this was something that actually got SENT - it would be like if everyone got carseat COVERS after paying the $42.99 and then having them say, "Ooops, sorry - YOU can repackage that up and drive down to the UPS store to send it back, but that's all we'll do."

At least with this it was just a couple hours of thinking you'd get something, not actually getting the wrong thing sent to your house. BRU CS is terrible.

#297 ·
I can't imagine that Target would create some elaborate marketing ploy that could potentially anger such a large number of people just on the off chance that they would order other items with their purchase or would still purchase the carseat at regular price. Seems like a huge risk that most large corporations would never consider taking!

#298 ·
I got my official "We are sorry..." email this evening.
:

Yeah, I was expecting it (not when I ordered though), but I am still bothered by it. If the company I work for made such a huge mistake in pricing, we would still offer some sort of (small) compensation for the inconvenience it caused everyone. I work for a HUGE corporation, too, so there is really not a lot of difference as far as how Target *should* treat customers.

#299 ·
I think that this will go down as the "Great Target Conspiracy" in our children's history books. Wait 30 more years, when we actually find out that Target is solely responsible for Bush getting elected his second term. Their out to get us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk.

#300 ·
Quote:

But is it REALLY good faith on the customer's part to purchase a car seat a price that is generally known to be a "too good to be true" price?

Would it be good faith on a customer's part to expect a car dealer to make good on a misprint in an ad showing a new 2008 Cadillac XLR for $9,000? Wouldn't you stop to think that "Hey! This must be a misprint! I bet they forgot the other 9!", or that there was something seriously wrong with a $100,000 car for them to sell it for 90% off?

But Target is supposed to suck it up and hand over a bunch of merchandise at a price that is more than 80% below the typical price?

#301 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthira View Post
If you look around the web, you will find this isn't the first time this has happened with Target. I wouldn't be so quick to brush this off...
i agree

Quote:

exactly

Quote:

As far as what I plan to do -- I think I will file a complaint with the BBB as well as contact the attorney general.
good for you. post if you get anywhere.

for for the record im not upset at the mistake...im upset at target's response.

im just glad this happpened in november.....i think it will definitely affect their dec. sales and in this eceonomy who can afford that?

#302 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Calla~ View Post
I think that this will go down as the "Great Target Conspiracy" in our children's history books. Wait 30 more years, when we actually find out that Target is solely responsible for Bush getting elected his second term. Their out to get us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk.

laughup

I can't believe this thread is still going and many people are so angry! It happens all the time. I belong to a lot of bargain hunting forums. When we see something like this...which happens at least 10 times a week if not more from random online and brick & mortar stores...we post the deal and everyone QUIETLY goes and buys 1 or a few. Then everyone crosses their fingers to see if it goes through or they decide to cancel the orders. Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you don't. That's part of the excitement of it all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.