Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deleted by user.
#2 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM

We have 2 DS's named Zachary & Brandon and 2 DD's named Madison & Avery. We do already have names picked this time - for a girl, Zoe and for a boy, Dominic.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 03:25 PM

For a boy we like and agree upon the name "Caleb" but when it comes to the middle name... Hubby wants "Elan" (which I like, but we can't agree on the spelling and are fearful people will pronounce it "Ellen" or "Elaine") and I want "Ellis" as the middle name. Hubby thinks it's an odd name but I try to explan to him- that's what middle names are for! I fear "Elan" because my middle name is "Iva" and no one ever gets it right- they always say "Ee-va". I don't want my son to go through that. (Although I love my middle name now, it was my grandmother's middle name)

So either "Caleb Elan" or "Caleb Ellis".
For a girl we are set on "Emmah Lane."
Our last name begins with a "T" and has two syllables so we try to have the middle name has two or less. Yeah, we are totally OCD.
#4 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 03:28 PM

I love Emmah Lane! And for the boy's middle name I like Ellis better.

OP- FWIW, I like Hayden best!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
And for the boy's middle name I like Ellis better.
Finally, confirmation! Can I quote you on that? I'll tell hubby when gets home tonight from work!
#6 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY? View Post
Finally, confirmation! Can I quote you on that? I'll tell hubby when gets home tonight from work!
Sure!

#7 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 04:44 PM

We had a terrible time with boys' names for #2 (whom we knew was going to be a boy). In fact, we didn't settle on a name for him until less than 24 hours before he was born, and then only because we really had to! (I was induced at 33 weeks after PROM and passing a large blood clot.)

Our difficulty is compounded by the fact that we will only consider names that are "normal" (enough) in both America and the Netherlands, AND that are pronounced roughly the same way in both countries.

Whatever first name we choose, the middle name will be another maiden name from my side of the family (they already get their last name from DH's side ). I'm debating between my maternal great-grandmother's maiden name or my paternal grandmother's.

So far we have a Sophie and a Ben (and a Meghan, but she's from my first marriage before the Dutch thing became a requirement ). I'm thinking of Lucie and Liam this time around, but DH is not bowled over.
#8 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM

We have a boy name picked. (we had it picked for the last birth, when we had a DD!):

Liam McLean (McLean is a family name)

The girl name is tricky. We have tossed around several names:

Moira, Giada, Freya, Emily WHO KNOWS!

We didn't pick our daughter's name until she was born. (Fiona)

Kathy
#9 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM

I love the names Sophie, Meghan AND Lucie!

#10 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violamama View Post
Moira, Giada, Freya, Emily WHO KNOWS!
Emily!

#11 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=sadiejane08;8796610] the middle name will be another maiden name from my side of the family (they already get their last name from DH's side ). I'm debating between my maternal great-grandmother's maiden name or my paternal grandmother's.[QUOTE]
I've always wanted to use maiden names for boys' middle names. *sigh* But all my family last names are either German, Norwegian and very, very, "clunky" or "harsh" sounding or English and are very.... well... "special" (one of the names is "Furry" let's leave it at that). But if you have been blessed with great surnames use them!

I really like the name Lucie/Lucy. Beautiful name.
#12 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 PM

Orly, your "Furry" story makes me think of the business partner of a friend of mine, whose last name is Anus. His parents named him Harold. He goes by Harry. He is of Hungarian descent and of course his poor parents had no idea what their surname (actually pronounced Ah-NOOSH, but who's gonna do that in the US?) meant.

So far we have Benjamin Megahee (Muh-GAH-hee, clearly one of those colorful invented spellings from Ellis Island; it's originally Scottish, and my maternal grandmother's maiden name) and Sophie O'Brien (paternal paternal great-grandmother, if that makes sense--my paternal grandfather's mother). The surnames-cum-middle names in question this time are Cutler and Bannister.

What's kind of spooky is that my grandmother's grandfather was named Benjamin Megahee, and my great-grandmother was named Sophie (Jane) O'Brien. We didn't know either of these tidbits when we named the kids!

violamama - oooh, you've already got Liam scoped out! I guess it's going to be a popular name this year. I really like Emily, too.
#13 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiejane08 View Post
Orly, your "Furry" story makes me think of the business partner of a friend of mine, whose last name is Anus. His parents named him Harold. He goes by Harry. He is of Hungarian descent and of course his poor parents had no idea what their surname (actually pronounced Ah-NOOSH, but who's gonna do that in the US?) meant.
Oh, geez. That is seriously funny!

I heard somewhere that in Germany you have to register a baby’s name and get it okay-ed before you can use it.
Does anyone know if this is true, or just an urban legend?
#14 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Oh, geez. That is seriously funny!

I heard somewhere that in Germany you have to register a baby’s name and get it okay-ed before you can use it.
Most of my family lives in Germany & I've never heard of that. COULD be true, but I doubt it.

#15 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
That's still true in some Scandinavian countries, I think. Either that or I recently heard it was done away with just in the last year or two. Not Germany, though.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#16 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Our difficulty is compounded by the fact that we will only consider names that are "normal" (enough) in both America and the Netherlands, AND that are pronounced roughly the same way in both countries.
DH is from Mexico so this is our challenge for Spanish and English. We both think this one is a boy and have chosen Emilio so far. We'll see if the baby wants another name!

:::
#17 of 46 Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 PM

Germany does have laws regarding acceptable names, but I don't think they have an actual list. I think NZ has name laws as well. I often wish this was the case in the US.

Anyhow, everything is open to change, but right now if we have a girl, her first name will be Evangeline. Don't know beyond that.

We don't really have a clue about boys' names, but last night we were joking about Connor Tiberius. Beaucoup geek points to anyone who gets those two names.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#18 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 01:03 AM

DH just said tonight "Ok, now we have to get serious about names." We have a TON of criteria:

* Both our first names (mine and DH's) start with M, so no Ms. Too cutesy.
* Our surname starts with W, so no Ws. Again, too cutesy (and I was a double M for the first 12 years of my life... actually switched to my mom's maiden name to get rid of it.)
* Our son's name starts with a D, so no Ds either!
* We have to like the meaning of the name. Can't be too religious or... I dunno, stupid? ;-)
* The name can't be *too* popular. We check the past 30 years of trending on the Social Security Baby Name list (http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ for those who aren't familiar). Any name that is too high up is out. Any name that is going up in the last few years is out.
* By the same token, it can't be too weird. ;-) You have to be able to say it if you see it. We were considering "Helena" for a girl last time, except that it could be HEL-in-ah, hel-AY-nah, or hel-EEN-ah, and that just sucked. Same reason we knocked out Lyra, our first choice, because we thought it was LEE-ra and everyone else said it LIE-ra. (Except my MIL and my cousin, who couldn't remember it; another hint that it was a bad choice.)
* Can't rhyme with or look like anything that's too easy to tease with.

We chose our son's name, Donovan, by literally going through the SSA Baby Names list starting at rank 40 and just taking down every name we liked. We got six finalists that met all our criteria, and then practically did eeny-meeny-miny-mo between our two favorites. Then, AFTER we picked it out and he turned out to be a boy, we found out that our midwife's surname was Dunivan, and our birth instructor's husband's surname was O'Donovan. ;-)

If he'd been a girl, he would have been Elena, but now DH doesn't like that name anymore, so we're completely back to the drawing board.

Since our son's name starts with the same letter as his paternal grandmother, we're considering having the next one start with the same letter as my mother, which would be an R. Randall is getting consideration for a boy's name (it was on the final 6 last time).
#19 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 02:24 AM

You know, Ironica, you're not too bad on the rules.

Here are ours:

1) No R, S, B, L, E, or M names.*
2) No single-syllable first names, as our last name is a single syllable, so it would sound too abrupt.
3) Cannot end with long E, short A, or ER sound, as those are the ending sounds of our first three kids' names, & rhyming is out. Last time around I was just trying to avoid long E & short A sounds, and that one rule knocked out a lot of girl names.
4) Cannot be in the top 100 popular names on the SSA's list, and preferably not in the top 200. (Our most popular name is Esther, at 298.)
5) Preferably doesn't have an obvious nickname, as our first three names don't.
6) Should follow this rhythm: 2 syllable first name, 3 syllable second name, 1 syllable third name. I'm flexible on this one, though.
7) The pronunciation has to be readily obvious from just looking at the name. I grew up having my name mangled by nearly everyone I met; it's not something I'm going to inflict on my kids.
8) No funky spellings.
9) Has to have a good meaning. (Linda does not mean "pretty", by the way.)
10) Family member or friend's name far preferred, but no one's grandparents.
11) The name has to not only be uncommon, it has to be obviously a real name. Random nouns and made up names need not apply.

*Yes, I am fully aware Evangeline violates this rule, & #6 as well. I can't explain it, but this name came to me before I knew I was pregnant, possibly before I was pregnant.

Oh, & I love Randall. I just don't like the nickname Randy, which is why we had the name Randolph for our boy's name the last two times.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#20 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
11) The name has to not only be uncommon, it has to be obviously a real name. Random nouns and made up names need not apply.
We have this guideline for boys' names, but not so much for girls' names. For girls, if the name is pretty enough (and fits all the other social acceptability rules, like not rhyming embarrassingly and being pronounceable), it'll work. For boys, not so much. There's much stronger conformity pressure there, I think.

See, I LOVE my first name. I also love the rest of my names (I was given five at birth, and added one, dropped it, added another ;-). So I know that it's really nice to have a name you're happy with, and also cool to have a couple back-ups just in case.
#21 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 04:13 AM

I like names that are uncommon, but not unusual. The kind of name where you've heard of the name but probably don't know anyone with the name. My DD is named Evelyn.

For a boy, we've had the name Ethan picked out since we were in high school, when it was only #75 on most popular name list. Now that it's in the top 5, I'm kind of ticked. I still love the name, but I'm a member of Planet Jennifer, and I don't want to put my kid through that. Evan is a possible alternative. I adore the name Chester, but DH hates it. We've also considered Sebastian. I do also like the idea of naming a boy after my brothers, John William, but I'm worried that two Johns in the family would create a lot of confusion.

For a girl, my favorite name is Mariah, but DH vetoed that when I was pregnant with DD. I also like Lila, Leah, Veronica, Victoria, and Scarlet.
#22 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 AM

I think the name dilemma will be our biggest hurdle- my DH is big on vetoing names, but never comes up with any suggestions of his own.

As a child with the #1 most common name of the 70's and 80's (Planet Jennifer here too!), I am adamant that any name we pick not be in the top 100 SSN list, preferably not in the top 500! The names I like the best aren't even in the top 1000.

I love names with z's and x's, and I like hippie-ish names too.

I have the best boy's name ever picked out, but I don't know if DH will agree to it.

He doesn't like names that have an automatically shortened form- like Nicholas-Nick, etc. Since we both have different last names, the baby will have both, so it has to sound good with our disparate last names.

This will be a challenge!
#23 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 AM

I'm picky about names. Growing up as a Jennifer I don't want my children to have to share a name with someone else. I see names as part of their idenity and that shouldn't have to be shared. So if the name is in the top 1000 on SS website for any year... it's out.

DD is Kyja Breanne (the J is silent. and it is a Scandinavian name)

DS is Daylen Zane

For another girl we are thinking Aroura Bjorn (Bjorn is a male name meaning bear but I like it and it also is Scandinavian and the j is silent)

For another boy we are considering Soren Joseph (Joseph is dh's dad's name and Soren sounds more like it starts with a Z than a S but it is not a strong sound)

But they are not set in stone yet so we will see.
#24 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 AM

That is too funny! When I was growing up I wished SO MUCH that my name was Jennifer, because it was SO common! My name is Marie and there weren't ANY! I wanted a very common name! I've grown to love my name thogugh, it suits me!

#25 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Don't get *too* creative with names . . . I hated mine (Grayson) growing up. I got some teasing ("Grace face" et al), but that's probably because I was very shy and nerdy and it would have happened with any name. Mainly I didn't like my name because it was *so* unusual, was more often used as a boy's name (though I've met other girls with it), and was never spelled right.

Now I *love* my name and I'm glad it's relatively unique. But I think children generally would rather blend in than stand out
#26 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Now I *love* my name and I'm glad it's relatively unique. But I think children generally would rather blend in than stand out
My 5 YO's name is Madison, the Jennifer of the new millenium!

And I LOVE, and have for years, the name Grayson!

#27 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Deleted by user.
#28 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM

MissAnn- I really like the name "Daylen"! I've never heard that one before. I've met a lot of Dallins but never a Daylen.
#29 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 01:05 PM

Trust me, there were never any other Sabras in my classes.

But my senior class had two different young women named Xochitl. (I think one of them may have been Xochilt; both are common spellings.)

#30 of 46 Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
my senior class had two different young women named Xochitl. (I think one of them may have been Xochilt; both are common spellings.)
I never heard that name, and there were TWO?! Wow!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page