Who's going to be surprised? Who's finding out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The gender, that is!

We won't be doing any US so we'll find out sometime in April.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#2 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 PM

Yeah... I'm totally finding out. I hate surprises. :
Hubby wants a girl. Grandparents (who don't know yet, and won't until the end of this trimester if we have anything to do with it) want a girl. I want... a baby. I'm not too picky. You usually have the US around week 20, right?
What does everyone want? If you havea prefernce.
#3 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 05:04 PM

We have no plans either way, by which I mean that if for some reason we have to have an ultrasound and at that ultrasound they can tell us the sex, we'd be interested to know it. This happened with #2; I had bleeding at 25 and 26 weeks (scared the banoonoos out of me) and an ultrasound showed a low-lying placenta to be the totally not-dangerous cause (whew). So we found out #2 was a boy.

With #3 we had an ultrasound very early to date her, because she was conceived on the first PP egg and we had no idea how long I'd been pregnant. No more u/s after that one, so we found out her sex on her birthday.
#4 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 05:04 PM

I want to be surprised, but DH doesn't.
#5 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm not wanting to find out until baby is born. Last time I didn't want to find out but I got out voted and gave in. I hope I can be strong this time.

I have the feeling in the back of my head that it is going to be a girl. In dh's family leading to him they have all had 2 boys. His great grandparents had two boys his grandparents had 2 boys and his parents had two boys. It's time to break the chain with us. BIL can have the two boys. (he has no kids and doesn't want kids)

And Dh and I kinda would like a girl this time. I'd be happy either way, but I want another little girl!!
#6 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM

Deleted by user.
#7 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenangelcat View Post
I don't see any point in finding out early so I won't be. Last time I was so expecting a boy and when the doc said it was a girl I started laughing.
This happened to me too! I have the u/s photo with two arrows pointing to a "penis" and all!!

Well she is the prettiest little boy I've ever seen

Oh And I had a whole 5x-5x closet filled with little boy stuff and no girl stuff!
#8 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Deleted by user.
#9 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 PM

I probably won't have a u/s so I guess I'll be surprised. Though I'm really tempted to find out.

We didn't find out with DD either (no U/S). Always thought she was a girl though.
#10 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 PM

We aren't planning on getting an u/s so we'll be surprised, though we both think its a boy.

:::
#11 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM

We're not planning any ultrasounds and hope to be surprised in April.
#12 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM

I'm a major planner, so we'll be finding out. Really hoping for a boy.

Heather
wife to wonderful dh, SAHM to 3 girls (10, 5, and 3) and one boy (3/12/2008)
#13 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbit View Post
I'm a major planner, so we'll be finding out. Really hoping for a boy.
Yay! Another planner! Let's hope our USs are accurate!
#14 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 08:13 PM

I originally thought I wanted to be surprised, but now I realize that if I don't find out the sex, how will I know whether I can knit dresses or not? So I'm dithering.

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
#15 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 09:29 PM

I am hoping & praying for a fourth girl, but we won't be finding out ahead of time. I do want a u/s to verify dates, but beyond that I don't know if I'll have another one.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#16 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 AM

We didn't find out the first time, and don't want to this time. My joking reason was: The only thing that it will change is that everything at the shower would be the same color, and there's about a 50-50 chance it would be pink... which is NOT my favorite. ;-)

The deeper reason, though, is that we have very, VERY specific cultural notions of personality etc. tied to gender, and I wanted to minimize how much I thought I knew this person before I actually met them. (There's a really interesting experiment I learned about in college that made me realize this... they found that people actually *saw* newborn babies differently depending on what they thought the gender was.)

Not knowing drives my mother nuts! But she has to live with it.

When DH and I were dating, we found out we both wanted two kids, boy and a girl, boy first. We're halfway there, so we're hoping for a girl. Last time, though, everyone thought DS was going to be a girl, including me... so when DH said "We have a beautiful baby boy!" my thought was, "Huh! Imagine that." Then I saw him, and said, "Who are *you?*" because, knowing me and DH, I thought our baby would start off blonde haired (or bald) and blue-eyed, however s/he turned out later... and here was this ball of reddish-brown hair and gunmetal grey eyes looking at me. Goes to show, they're full of suprises!
#17 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 04:21 AM

I don't want to find out. DH does, but has stopped mentioning it. Even though we found out with DD, knowing how often the ultrasound predictions are wrong, we still did everything in gender neutral colors. So, I figure if I don't trust the prediction, why even bother?

I have absolutely no preference. I dreamed of a sister growing up, and I would love to have two daughters who share the sister bond that I never had. However, this is almost certaintly our last child, and I would love to have the experience of raising a boy. Plus, I think my DH would make the most amazing role model to show a boy what being a good man is all about.
#18 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 07:02 AM

I don't think we will be finding out- I don't plan on having any ultrasounds. However, if it is very important to my DH to find out, I would be willing to- that would be one little concession I could make to him since he has not really had any say in the birth choices I've made. So if he is adamant, and excited about it, I guess we might.

I'd love a girl, but I have a very awesome boy's name picked out that I'd love to use, so I guess I'll take either!
#19 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie76 View Post
I'd love a girl, but I have a very awesome boy's name picked out that I'd love to use, so I guess I'll take either!
OK, now - no fair! After building it up like that, spill! What's the "very awesome" name? :

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#20 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 12:35 PM

On the one hand we would like to wait to find out, on the other I would like to know for the sake of my 4yo. He has been telling us for over six months now that he is going to have a baby sister.

Out of the blue one day he told us this. That he can hear her. She is eating and growing and growing and then she will be in my tummy. But she isn't yet, he said. We just kind of said, Oh, really? Months later he brought it up again. Most recently was when he was looking at a baby pic of his little brother. He saw the baby pajamas and asked me where they were. I told him they were in a box and he said that when his sister came she could wear them. She totally exists for him.

So I am totally expecting a girl, but if it is a boy would it be best to find out early to ease his disappointment? I am worried that when he finds out I am pregnant he will latch onto it being his sister, and what if it isn't?
#21 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
OK, now - no fair! After building it up like that, spill! What's the "very awesome" name? :
hmmmm...maybe a little anticipation is good

I'm keeping it a secret for now. I will say that I live in fear that some celebrity will use it inthe meantime!
#22 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie76 View Post
hmmmm...maybe a little anticipation is good

I'm keeping it a secret for now. I will say that I live in fear that some celebrity will use it inthe meantime!
Pssst! I'm not a celebrity & I have both a girl and a boy name already set in stone...PM me!

#23 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebes*mom View Post
I want to be surprised, but DH doesn't.
Same here... I could care less but hubby REALLY wants a girl after 2 boys ( I have a 7yr old step son)

caffix.gif wife to DH kewl.gif and mama to Kaden notes2.gif 1/1/06 and Jagger babyboy.gif 4/21/12

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#24 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 09:07 PM

total surprise. we wanted to be surprised with the twins, but the dang us tech spent so much time looking at one of their bums that it was clear that one was a boy. then at the next mw appt we were told they don't know if they are identical or frat. well, it would be obvious if they were different genders. so we knew. but didn't tell anyone. this time im not looking if we end up having an u/s.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#25 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 PM

dot2dot:
My DD told me that she asked Jesus for a sister. I said, "what if it's a boy?" And she said, "I want a sister." She is adamant.

I worry about her dissapointment if it turns out to be a boy.
#26 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 PM

We'll find out! We have a DS, so a girl would be wonderful. That said, if I could get another boy that is 1/2 as wonderful as my DS, I'd be thrilled!

Laura
#27 of 37 Old 08-04-2007, 12:06 AM

We will be praying for girls together, Sonja, for our kids' sake! I tried telling ds that if God wanted us to have another baby he might give us a girl baby and he might give us a boy baby. Ds thought about that but didn't say anything. The next morning he came running out saying that God said it was okay, he could have a sister. Oy! I also worry about his disappointment.
#28 of 37 Old 08-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot2dot View Post
We will be praying for girls together, Sonja, for our kids' sake! I tried telling ds that if God wanted us to have another baby he might give us a girl baby and he might give us a boy baby. Ds thought about that but didn't say anything. The next morning he came running out saying that God said it was okay, he could have a sister. Oy! I also worry about his disappointment.
:

The hard part is that I have a strange feeling that it's a boy this time. This pregnancy is so different from last time (so far). Your DS is probably right though. I have a belief that young kids have a closer connection to God. They haven't been corrupted by the adults yet.
#29 of 37 Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM

were going to be surprised. i found out with my dd and it was nice but this time i want to 'go the whole 9 yards'

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#30 of 37 Old 08-06-2007, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
'go the whole 9 yards'

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page