Have you told? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you already cried it from the rooftops or are you waiting?

If you have already spilled the beans, share with us: to who you did, when you did and how you did it!

For those who are waiting, got any ideas?
When are you going to tell?
Who are you going to tell?
How are you going to tell?

: Sharing time is FUN! :
#2 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 05:56 PM

I started scrap books for my mom, my dad (they don't live together) and MIL, last month. On the front they say "GrandBabies" and start out with a title page for dd and a few photos of her and then a title page for ds and photos of him and then after that is a page that says...or will say "Arriving April 2008" and I plan on putting the 8week u/s photo after that and then giving one to each of the grandparents.

MIL is the only one in the family that knows I m/c last month, but she doesn't know we are trying..were trying.

And I've told my friend and mcd. And that's it.
#3 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 05:58 PM

I was just gunn'a post this, LOL! We've told EVERYONE! I screamed it from the rooftop the second I got my BFP!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#4 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

MissAnn, that's a great idea! Very cute.
I don't know how we're going to tell our families yet. Everyone is SO spread out. We are all over New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho and Utah. We were thinking maybe making something up through Shutterfly.com and sending it out. *shrugs* I"m in no rush though. I have two more months to think it over.
#5 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

rmbmz, I beat you to it! Great minds thinks alike!
#6 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY? View Post
rmbmz, I beat you to it! Great minds thinks alike!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#7 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 PM

We told everyone. Poor DH had a hard time waiting a day (I wanted to test one more time) to tell his co-workers! I think he's more excited than I am.
#8 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 PM

MissAnnThrope- what a cute idea!

We told my parents, DH's parents, and my siblings. I think we're going to wait until I get my beta results back before I tell my best friend and then until 12 weeks to tell everyone else. That's the plan anyways, I'm a bit of a blabbermouth so we'll if I can wait that long!
#9 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 PM

Our local AP group has a yahoo group to coordinate get togethers so I announced it there where all of my friends are members. DH told his brother fairly matter-of-factly. I don't get along with my family so I haven't told them yet. My mom would be horrified to know we are planning a homebirth and I don't really want to deal with that right now.

The first person to know was one of DH's friends. We went to eat at the restaurant the friend works at to celebrate. The friend asked what brought us in and DH told him!

:::
#10 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM

I've shared with folks here at MDC, my kids, and my sister. I called my sister on the phone (she lives in Louisiana and I live in WI so we don't get to see each other frequently).

I'm not really planning to tell anyone else until the 2nd trimester.

Oh, and of course DH was the first person I told!
#11 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM

We've told everyone who knew we were doing IVF - we figured they knew that WE knew. Also, my entire office knows, because I had to tell my boss when I was out for all my IVF appointments last month. And he is, shall we say, less than discreet.

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
#12 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 PM

For some reason we really haven't told anyone yet... something about being the only ones knowing is nice right now. Although I did have to tell the dentist the other day when they asked "If I had any health changes since my last visit!" I also told a lady at church today who loves praying for pregnant women and babies...

As for our families, we are kind of waiting until I tell my mom. She is always asking (well, every month or two) if I am pg which I think is funny because wouldn't I tell her if I was? I did the other two times! But since she has been asking, I made up a shirt that just says "Yes, I am!" to wear the next time I see her and she can get an answer to her constant question! And if she asks in the meantime I will just say yes! I am sure that will throw her off! After she finds out we will tell everyone else.
#13 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot2dot View Post
I made up a shirt that just says "Yes, I am!" to wear the next time I see her and she can get an answer to her constant question!
That's a cute idea!

#14 of 32 Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 PM

Yeah, I've been telling everyone. This wasn't a planned or expected pregnancy, but the symptoms are hitting me hard this time, and I want everyone to know why I'm acting goofy. Funny thing is, both my mom & my cousin Maggie told me they had already figured it out (before I knew for sure, I only took the test yesterday!).

I did tell Robert he has to tell his own parents, though...

And I got to tell my best friend today. I was out with my mom & on impulse decided to swing past his building & see if he was there & he happened to be standing on the sidewalk. (Which was lucky, as I didn't see his truck!) He asked how I was and I said "Pregnant!")

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#15 of 32 Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 AM

Well, I've told DH, and DS (age 3). Gonna wait a bit on telling the grandparents. Might tell some friends at a get-together tomorrow; we'll play it by ear.

I do want to tell *someone*, but my best friend is out of the country, another friend (currently due in November) wasn't answering any of her phones, and I just tried IMing another friend who hasn't answered yet... it's just the kind of thing you want a realtime connection for,you know?
#16 of 32 Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 AM

Well tomorrow I'm going to be riding 2 hours in a car with just MIL, DS and myself, and then 2 hours back.

I wonder if I can keep my mouth shut the whole time. She was asking me today about my thyroid for when I got pregnant again I managed to keep saying "when" "the next time" It was kinda hard.
#17 of 32 Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 AM

I've told quite a few online friends who knew we were TTC, but no one IRL yet. I will tell a couple IRL friends who I know can keep a secret, but otherwise we plan on keeping it a secret until we can't hide my growing stomach any more. With DD, we announced it publicly at about 11 weeks pregnant, and I think that was too early. I don't like being the center of attention.

ETA: It's killing me to not tell DD, but at 3, she is not at all good at keeping a secret. I think my favorite part of the pregnancy will be telling her.
#18 of 32 Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 AM

I've only told my close friends I am staying with in Europe right now. I'll have been here 3 weeks, and I thought they should know in case anything happened. Otherwise, we are not planning on telling ANYONE (friends, family, or work) until 12 weeks. DH is very private, and I kind of like the idea of having a little secret. Plus my sister is pregnant right now, and I want her to have as much time as the center of attention as possible.

It will be difficult, but I'm glad I'll be able to talk to all of you about it- I usually have a hard time keeping secrets! It's actually easier now since I'm gone for 3 weeks- it will be harder when I'm home and seeing/talking to people.
#19 of 32 Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
It's killing me to not tell DD, but at 3, she is not at all good at keeping a secret. I think my favorite part of the pregnancy will be telling her.
I know what you mean! My youngest (6) has always wanted a younger sibling. She loves babies to death. I had the hardest time not telling her yesterday when we were snuggling. She will be over the moon! But, like your DD, she will also tell everyone in sight . She's been doing that about her older sister's illness--random total strangers at the airport, in restaurants, out on a walk. No way she'd be able to keep a baby a secret.

We aren't sure when we're going to tell. It's still so early (I'm only 13 dpo) that we'll probably wait a couple of weeks, at least. But I'm a terrible liar and not so comfortable with secrets, so I've told DH we have to tell the kids (and thus the whole world ) before they start asking why Mommy feels so sick, why Mommy's so tired, etc.
#20 of 32 Old 08-03-2007, 04:19 PM

Everyone knew we were TTC so now they know I'm pregnant too! I have a big mouth... I want everyone to know.. I just want to get a shirt made saying "Due in April" LOL.

It was so hard for me to wait a day to tell DH. I wanted to make it special so I made a shirt for my son to wear for when my hubby got home yesterday, here it is:

Front says "Guess what Daddy?!"
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4...g?t=1186088165

Back says "I'm gonna be a big brother"
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4...g?t=1186088322

And my DH's response
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4...g?t=1186093855
So happy!!!

caffix.gif wife to DH kewl.gif and mama to Kaden notes2.gif 1/1/06 and Jagger babyboy.gif 4/21/12

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#21 of 32 Old 08-03-2007, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

I like the tee-shirt idea, country. I'll have to remember that for #2.
BTW, your son is flippin' adorable!
#22 of 32 Old 08-04-2007, 12:51 AM

What we did to announce our first pregnancy (DS):

My Mom: She lives next door to us and we see her almost every day. It was a big announcement! She has this "yard art" pig named Petunia that someone gave her as a joke. Mom would dress up Petunia for certain events, like Halloween or my bridal shower, etc. DH and I dolled Petunia up in baby clothes and filled her little wheelbarrow with baby items. She wore a bib that said "I love Grandmama." Mom was out of town, so we had to time things very carefully, but we managed to have the videocamera ready and Petunia proudly displayed on the porch when she pulled into the driveway! It is so hard to surprise her and she was totally shocked and happy!

DH's Parents and Sister: We were going to eat dinner at their house, and told them that we would bring dessert. This wasn't unusual so they didn't suspect a thing. We baked a cake and decorated it with baby items and wrote the due date in icing. When we walked in, they were sitting on the couch and DH placed the cake on a TV tray in front of them. It took them a minute but they were totally floored!

My Dad and Jimmy (his partner): This was right before father's day, and I called my dad and told him I had to work on father's day, but suggested we get together the weekend before. We made plans to meet at a restaurant about halfway between our houses (1hr drive for each of us). I don't think they suspected anything when I handed them two gift bags since they assumed it was father's day stuff. They had matching bags and cards. The bags included a bib, a paci, and baby shoes. The cards read "You've been a great dad...and in Febuary '04 you're going to be a GRANDdad!" They were totally stunned and over the top excited!

I've not told anyone IRL yet this time. I didn't even join this board until yesterday! This is DC#2, I'm already overweight, and I'm am definitely starting to show, so I'm going to have to tell people soon. My mom will be first, as I see her almost every day and she watches DS quite a bit. I've said a few things lately that have indicated we're not trying for another child right now, so I hope she'll be surprised! We have been doing quite a bit of home repairs and home improvement lately, and DS is REALLY into construction now. I have some great pictures of him and my mom cutting and carrying some wood into the house. He has his "protective eyewear" sunglasses on, his "protective gloves," and is wearing his "work clothes." He takes this very seriously I told her I was going to get those pictures developed so she is expecting me to have those. What she doesn't know is that the last picture in the set is of DS sitting on the couch holding his tools and a measuring tape. He is talking on his phone and looking very happy and surprised. On the picture, it says "Spreading the good news...We're adding TWO FEET to our family in April '08!!" I'll try to get DH to get a pic online for y'all to see. Hopefully we'll tell her Sunday. The anticipation is killing me!!

We don't know how we'll tell DH's parents yet. My dad and his partner have moved to a different state, so we'll probably just call.

Can't wait to read others' stories!

Laura
#23 of 32 Old 08-04-2007, 10:03 AM

: at Petunia! That's great!

#24 of 32 Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 AM

I love the Petunia story!

We weren't planning to tell people quite so soon, but my belly is already giving it away.
#25 of 32 Old 08-05-2007, 10:09 AM

I couldnt wait, it was all this energy. I was alone when I tested so I paced, couldnt get ahold of DH to ask him when he'd be home, so I called a friend and we freaked out together.

I texted everyone.

I imagine he will tell his mom tomorrow and I will struggle as to when to tell mine. Last time she was the second to know, this time I dont know why I'm balking. I figure I have all the time in the world to tell her. She likes to tell me that she had 450486t40804 miscarriages before me, and thinks I will be the same way, I dont know I guess Im avoiding the karma this time.
#26 of 32 Old 08-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
I imagine he will tell his mom tomorrow and I will struggle as to when to tell mine. Last time she was the second to know, this time I dont know why I'm balking. I figure I have all the time in the world to tell her. She likes to tell me that she had 450486t40804 miscarriages before me, and thinks I will be the same way, I dont know I guess Im avoiding the karma this time.
That's hard. I don't know why people single out pg mamas for those stories--I mean, I do, but it's so inconsiderate. I know it's hard on the person who experienced the m/c, but pg can be so stressful even without that input. I would probably hesitate to tell her, too.
#27 of 32 Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

So we aren't planning on telling anyone until the first trimester is over. I live a pretty boring life, in a little boring town so I figured this would be easy.
Last Saturday I was out with my mom, who is even more boring than I am, and she suggested Sushi for lunch... the woman doesn't even like fish, mind you. What are the odds?
Then, later that night, my dad tells me he is going back to Minnesota in March and that he wants me to come with him... I told him I'd let him know in October.
THEN, on Sunday my bishop (pastor-type figure) asks me what I'm doing in March and asks if I can babysit his four kids for a week for him and his wife.
I was home for one weekend, two days!

Does anyone have any ideas on how NOT to tell? Just kidding.
#28 of 32 Old 08-06-2007, 01:25 AM

I have only told online friends so far and my very best friend! And of course DH knows I may or may not have betas this week, still debating as they dont change anything just reaffirm things are going well and I am feeling really good about this pgcy... Hm.. Decisions. If I get betas, I have to go 30 minutes away and take all the kids and then my Mom will ask why I had to go, etc.. etc.. and she works there and will want to know why I didnt stop by, so unsure right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
I've told quite a few online friends who knew we were TTC, but no one IRL yet. I will tell a couple IRL friends who I know can keep a secret, but otherwise we plan on keeping it a secret until we can't hide my growing stomach any more. With DD, we announced it publicly at about 11 weeks pregnant, and I think that was too early. I don't like being the center of attention.

ETA: It's killing me to not tell DD, but at 3, she is not at all good at keeping a secret. I think my favorite part of the pregnancy will be telling her.
Congrats mama!! Great to see you around!!

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#29 of 32 Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 AM

I still haven't told DH. DD and I will be going back home from our visit to my parents on Thursday. So I will need to decide. I asked DH if he would want to know if I was pregnant. He said he wanted to know if I definitely wasn't pregnant. So since then, when he asks me if I'm pregnant, I say I don't know. Luckily, DH is pretty darn dopey when it comes to the fertility department. He believes that I could have ovulated 3 weeks ago and still not know "because my cycles are wacky." Ha ha.

I really like that guess what daddy shirt. I suppose we could try that. It's just that DH is so unobservant that I could imagine him not reading the writing on it.

I told my mom by getting DD to hand her my pregnancy test. She just took it from DD and said "Oh, this is mama's. You'd better give it back to her." My plans always backfire. I finally got her to look at it (first she had to retrieve her glasses) and then she had to figure out what it was and then she FINALLY got it.

Then we did the same with my dad. He really didn't know what it was.

So I have no exciting stories. No Petunia the pig, no cute t-shirt. I need to think this through. I still have an opportunity to do something good with DH. He will be picking us up at the airport insanely early in the morning on Thursday. If anyone has any ideas, please share.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#30 of 32 Old 08-06-2007, 01:36 AM

My Dh knows and I have posted it to my friends on another group but this is it for now. I need to call the Ob/Mw tomorrow to make an appt. Since this is #4, I'll probably wait until about 12weeks. We did that with everyone but #3 b/c my oldest son knew at 6 weeks and told the world!

With our first, we bought our parents books to write in about each of them to give the baby. We're still waiting for the books. With son #2, we gave each set of grandparents a card and a photo album for pics of the wee one!
With baby #3, my oldest son (who was 3 at the time), told everyone! It was so cute. I had a m/c in Dec 2005 that only my sister and Dh know about, so we never told our families. With this baby, I would like to either do the tee shirts or get a shirt that says, "yes I am pregnant". We'll see. My best friend is Pg and her sister is TTC so it will be hard not to tell them.

Take care!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page