Roll call of nursing moms - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 26-month-old DD and hope to keep that going through this pregnancy. Since I only have one child so far, I have no idea if I'll keep my milk or have horrible nursing aversion or whatever. But I strongly hope that all will go well and she won't have to wean until she's ready to choose that for herself.

So, if you're currently nursing, how about answering these questions?
--age(s) of current nursling
--your intent: wean during pregnancy, go with the flow, or try hard to maintain nursing
--intent regarding tandeming
--past experience with nursing during pregnancy and tandeming

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#2 of 64 Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 PM

I'm nursing my 16 month old DD. No intentions what so ever of weaning, will nurse all the way through and then tandem. Neither DD nor I are anywhere ready for her to stop nursing. She nurses at LEAST 10 times a day now, sometimes more.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 64 Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 PM

Well, Linda is 3.5. Esther is 21 months. I'm going to go with the flow. I weaned Bobbie when I got pregnant with Esther, but Linda is a lot more attached to her milk than her sister was. I tried telling Linda she was going to need to wean when she turned four, but she flipped out.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#4 of 64 Old 08-02-2007, 09:52 PM

I'm nursing ds, who is 19 mo. We're working on night-weaning right now, which is pretty overdue--he's been waking every 2 hours at night for a loooong time now. Yawn. I'm going to go with the flow during the pg--no heroic efforts to keep it going, I guess, though I'll be really sad if and when he stops. If he's still nursing when the baby arrives, I'll give tandeming a try.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#5 of 64 Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Deleted by user.
#6 of 64 Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 PM

Nearly 3 years old - will turn three on August 31st

--your intent: wean during pregnancy, go with the flow, or try hard to maintain nursing

Try hard to maintain nursing. Right now she's nowhere near ready to wean and I don't want any trauma.

Honestly don't know. I have to say it sounds like a lot of work, but I don't want DD to wean before she's ready.

None. My other two kiddos are 13 years apart!
#7 of 64 Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 PM

I'm nursing my 21 month old. Mostly I'm just going with the flow, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if she weaned. I've been distracting her some this week because I am REALLY sick. If she continues to nurse through pregnancy I'll tandem nurse. One of my friends pointed out that she can handle my overactive letdown better than a newborn and could be really helpful. I have massive oversupply and overactive letdown issues.

No other nursing during pregnancy experience. My other kids weren't breastfed. I can't believe how much I missed out on with them.

Heather
wife to wonderful dh, SAHM to 3 girls (10, 5, and 3) and one boy (3/12/2008)
#8 of 64 Old 08-03-2007, 12:49 AM

3 years as of a month ago. (Our original plan, before he was even born, was to start trying the first cycle after his third birthday... then we got impatient and started a couple cycles before that, but my body went with the original program!)

Totally go with the flow. In fact, yesterday he didn't nurse at all, because it was a busy busy day. We night-weaned almost a year ago, and in the last couple months he's dropped the evening before-bed nursing. His most important one is the wake-up one, and that's getting derailed some now that I'm working two days a week and out of bed before he wakes up.

I always liked the idea of tandeming more than nursing through pregnancy ;-). I had planned to wean before TTC, but as we got closer to the time, I realized I did NOT want to deal with a newly-weaned preschooler while preggo ;-). I worry about nursing aversion, but I'm cool so far. If he keeps it up, we'll tandem; if he doesn't, shikata ga nai.

None. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Life's an adventure!
#9 of 64 Old 08-03-2007, 03:50 AM

My DD is 3 and very close to self-weaning. She only nurses a few times a week, and she told me yesterday that the milk is all gone, so I'm guessing she's almost done. The last time I asked her if she wanted to nurse, she said she'd just hug them instead, LOL.
#10 of 64 Old 08-03-2007, 03:14 PM

Hey I'm Melissa!
--nursing a 15m toddler
--I would love to continue nursing during pregnancy and possibly nurse 2. I'm going to see how it goes, but am commmitted to continuing if DS wants. He nurses at least 6+ times a day now and more if he's bored, so I'm hopeful we'll keep going for a while.

Melissa knit.gifmilitary wife to C : Mom to Ben (4.26.06) ,Will (4.07.08), Sam (10.11.10), and expecting a GIRL in March 2013!

#11 of 64 Old 08-03-2007, 04:42 PM

I am currently nursing an almost 2 year old. He still nurses a lot when we are home and sitting around, but it is easy for him to go without if we active. I am thinking that he will wean sometime during the pregnancy. My first ds weaned when I was 7 months pg with #2, so I am kind of thinking along the same lines this time.
#12 of 64 Old 08-03-2007, 05:19 PM

Hi, I'm Ann
We just got a BFP this morning! My EDD is 4-8-08

--age(s) of current nursling - Liam is 11 months old.
--intent regarding tandeming - I'm currently reading Adventures in Tandem Nursing - I will say that I'm open to the idea!
--past experience with nursing during pregnancy and tandeming - Well, things have been going OK so far!!! LOL - at 4 1/2 weeks along!

Does anyone have any other recommended reading besides Adventures?

ETA: count me out, we had a early 1st trimester miscarriage. Best wishes to all the rest of the mamas!
#13 of 64 Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM

i am nursing my 21 mo old twins. one of them is *super* stuck on nursing, i swear that kid nurses more than a newborn. i intend to go with the flow, as i had planned on clw, but i have to be honest, i would LOVE for him (jonas) to cut back some. and i must admit, im a little nervous about how to coordinate nursing 3.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#14 of 64 Old 08-04-2007, 12:18 AM

ds is 26 mo. he is a nursing champ and looooooves his boos! in fact i am nak right now. i hope to keep up my supply and started taking more milk 2. i suspect he would dry nurse if it came down to it. i am positive he has no plan to wean!
i also am reading adventures in tandem nursing and am planning to tandem nurse. dh thinks i am insane. he just has never heard of this but i am sure he will be supportive when the time comes.
i have no previous experience with this. this baby is #2.
#15 of 64 Old 08-04-2007, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmlranch View Post
i hope to keep up my supply and started taking more milk 2.
What is milk 2?

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#16 of 64 Old 08-04-2007, 12:31 PM

DD is 28 months and still nursing. I hope to nurse the whole pregnancy and then tandem, but we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking about getting some Mother's Milk Too. Its supposed to help with milk supply and is ok for pregnancy. This is my second pregnancy so 1st time nursing during one.

:::
#17 of 64 Old 08-05-2007, 08:24 AM

me me me!!! dd is about 23 months old. i hope to continue her nursing way beyond his pregnancy..
any advice for keeping my milk supply up while preggo?

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#18 of 64 Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 AM

I'm also nursing a 26-month-old. I have no intentions to wean him (although I wouldn't mind if he self-weaned). Of course, he's still obsessed with his mama milk, so I doubt it will happen (and that's okay, too). We shall see. I have a feeling I'll be tandem nursing these two.

This will be my second child, btw.
#19 of 64 Old 08-05-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmlranch View Post
ds is 26 mo. he is a nursing champ and looooooves his boos! in fact i am nak right now. i hope to keep up my supply and started taking more milk 2. i suspect he would dry nurse if it came down to it. i am positive he has no plan to wean!
Ha! This sounds exactly like my ds. He also calls it "boos." I love it!
#20 of 64 Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM

I'm still nursing my 22 month old but I'm not sure how much longer I can tolerate it. I would like to continue when I think about it but it drives me crazy when he's doing it. He's off and on all morning and super whining about it. Hopefully I can get over this and continue for atleast a little while longer.

I don't think that I could tandem nurse because I have to fight for every ounce of milk in the beginning. Has this happen to anyone else? Tandem without a great supply.

Jennifer- mom to Nicholas (11), Ella (10), Andrew (8) and Anna Sophia (6)
#21 of 64 Old 08-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
What is milk 2?
More Milk Two from Motherlove. It is an alcohol free tincture that is safe for pg and nursing mamas and is supposed to help keep your supply up. It has raspberry, nettle, and alfalfa leaf in it.

I bought it online. It tastes pretty good too. In fact, it is the best tasting tincture I have ever had. I am only taking it 2 times per day. The suggested dose is 4 times.
#22 of 64 Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 AM
ltk

nice to meet all the nursing mamas. mine is 15 months, avid eater, loves to nurse 2-3 times a day. I have been really frustrated w/ night nursings for a while...but would like to preserve the 2-3. Going with the flow. not too keen on tandem nursing, just feel like I already get SO touched out w/ nursing in the early months, it's best that way (for me). let's see how we all do. I love nursing my guy....not ready to wean at all.
#23 of 64 Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 AM

Ds 4 is still nursing a few times a week, Dd 26 mos, is still nursing 3 times a day.
I love nursing my kids, but I have to say that my secret hope is that ds and dd will both wean by the time the new babe is born. I want him/her all to myself. ...but I will go with the flow regardless of what I want.

ETA: My milk is totally gone by about 16 weeks. Ds almost weaned when I was pregnant with dd. Then the colostrum kicked in and he was thrilled.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#24 of 64 Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 AM

--age(s) of current nursling: 35 month old son, 10 month old daughter
--your intent: Child led weaning
--intent regarding tandeming: Currently doing so
--past experience with nursing during pregnancy and tandeming: Okay with both situations.

Reneé, 33 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 nocirc.gif and Arianna 9/06 gd.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 blowkiss.gif.  TTC a little rainbow rainbow1284.gifchartnew.gif http://www.FertilityFriend.com/home/4e4ac9 Currently in the 2WW 
#25 of 64 Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 PM

I'm nursing my 16 month old and will let him wean when he wants. My dd was the same age when I got pregnant with ds and she weaned at 18 months, but then started back up after he was born. She didn't like the colostrum when I was pregnant. I tandem nursed them and then she weaned completely at about 2 1/2. My preference honestly would be that he ds weans sometime during pregnancy, but like I said I'm okay with whatever he does. I just remember nursing during mid pregnancy and tandem nursing was really hard on me.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#26 of 64 Old 08-07-2007, 04:19 PM

I'm currently nursing my 12 month old DS and intend on working hard to keep my supply up. Unfortunatly he is a BIG biter and I can't seem to break him of it (not to sound harsh) and my breasts are already sore. I have one breast that constantly has a scab on it and the shooting pain is getting close to unbearable. I'm thinking about calling someone from LLL today, or possibly a LC. It's just a difficult, painfull situation.

DS is my first birth child, so I have no previous tandem nursing experience to share.
#27 of 64 Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Count me in! DS is 23 months & still nurses a lot! I won't be surprised if he sticks it out through the whole pg until my milk returns. Everyone loses their milk at some point, I'm assuming? I had a dickens of a time getting pg this time because of the nursing-- I was having lp problems. Soy seemed to do the trick on the third try, though, 'cause here I am. The best thing about already nursing and being pg is no sore boobies!
#28 of 64 Old 08-07-2007, 05:59 PM

welcome michelle :

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#29 of 64 Old 08-07-2007, 07:00 PM

--age(s) of current nursling: 15 months
--your intent: wean during pregnancy, go with the flow, or try hard to maintain nursing: go with the flow
--intent regarding tandeming: don't think it's for me, really
--past experience with nursing during pregnancy: my second DD weaned when I was about 18-20 weeks with my 3rd DD... she was down to nursing only once or sometimes twice a day, then she just couldn't stand to be "held down" long enough to nurse anymore. I was kind of sad about it, but I felt it was mutually agreeable to be done.

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
#30 of 64 Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 PM

I just wanted to quickly share my nursing through pg story with you all. I'm all for extended breastfeeding and tandem nursing but also know from my own experience that there are limits.
My ds1 was about 11 1/2 months old when I got pg with ds2. We nursed until he was 17 months and I lost my milk, despite all the herbs I took to support my production. My body was also asking for a little break before giving birth and starting milk production again. I felt really guilty and frustrated for all the resentment I started feeling everytime ds nursed. I even talked to a likeminded therapist about it. I would sink my teeth into a pillow while nursing, the physical sensation was that strong. One day when I found blood on the pillow after the nurse, I decided that it was best for both of us if we took a break. And he was fine with it. Both my boys are really good eaters because we've always fed them what we eat and have offered a variety of foods, textures and tastes (I realize that doesn't always work for everyone).
Anyway, when ds2 was born I had soooo much milk!!! Too much. I've got a great picture I'll share later on where I'm nursing and pumping at the same time. I came down with mastitis a couple times and (being the anti antibiotic freak that I am) decided with my midwives that the only solution was to get ds1 to nurse again and help empty me out. And he took to it as if there was no interruption in our nursing relationship. Nursing two took a lot out of me (I'm really one of those sensitive types... grrr) so we tandemed for about six months and then he transitioned to more exciting things like trains and THomas the Tank engine.
So all this to say my two cents and that being that as long as you take your body's signals seriously and not guilt yourself into feeling otherwise (I did), it's a beautiful thing.
Good luck mamas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page