Who's going UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't even know why I was thinking about what doctor or midwife I should go with. I had such a relaxing time while pregnant with Esther, & she was planned as a UC. The hospital did little for me, & hey I can always go in again, right?

I'm not sure how to swing a UP with my pretty-mainstream cousin living right across the street. Maybe I could just tell her I'm going to the doctor & then head to the library or the gym.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-06-2007, 06:01 AM

Not me. For starters, DH would totally freak, and this is his baby too. I don't want him stressed to the gills and us arguing during this pregnancy.

And though it sounds lovely when everything goes well (as it so often does), I think I'm a little too scared that we'll miss something, some unusual situation will present itself that we can't handle. So I'll stick with homebirth.

Of course, if I have twins in there (no reason to think I should, by the way), then in NL that's a hospital birth. At that point I'd seriously start looking for a midwife who'll do a homebirth with me anyway. Strangely enough, that might be harder to find here in homebirthing NL than in NC.
#3 of 13 Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 AM

I would love a UC! I plan on seeing a midwife for prenatals, but I'm hoping to not call her for the birth until the very end...mainly to have someone to help clean up and help with postpartum stuff. While DH would have a hard time with a planned UC, an oops UC would be awesome.
#4 of 13 Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 AM

RIGHT HERE! UP/UC all the way! I'm planning a UCA4C!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 13 Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie76 View Post
I would love a UC! I plan on seeing a midwife for prenatals, but I'm hoping to not call her for the birth until the very end...mainly to have someone to help clean up and help with postpartum stuff. While DH would have a hard time with a planned UC, an oops UC would be awesome.
i think that might be what i end up doing. i know my dh would/will freak when i bring up uc, but the mw are so $$$. i know they are worth it, but it doen't make it any easier to come up with the money, yk?

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#6 of 13 Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I may well find someone for prenatals this time, since having to dance around the question at the hospital last time wasn't really fun.

But I was already starting to tense up about this pregnancy, & then I realized there really wasn't any reason for me to take a step backwards with it. Rob was fine last time, so I doubt he'll have any problems this time. Even my mom, when I told her about it after the fact, was cool with the idea (shoulda known, she still hangs out with old-school hippies).

I just don't want to have a hospital at the end of this road.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#7 of 13 Old 08-06-2007, 01:02 PM

what happened last time, if you don't mind me asking?

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#8 of 13 Old 08-08-2007, 04:03 PM

I'm hoping for a UC. DH is tentatively on board for a mw-assisted hb, but is scared of UC. We're working on this together, but right now I'm planning on a UC. He's come around to things in the past and I feel confident this may be one of them. I don't know who if anyone I would get prenatals from. I'm only 5 weeks and have had some spotting, so maybe it won't be an issue anyway.
#9 of 13 Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM

yep! :-)
#10 of 13 Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 PM

Just saying hi! I'll be seeing a HB midwife for prenatals, but if everything goes well I'll be UCing. I had a somewhat planned UC with my ds. Of course I was the only one who knew I wanted a UC, so everyone else just figured that it was just one of those freak things because the baby was so fast. The fast labor just made it easy for me to do things my way

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#11 of 13 Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania8 View Post
what happened last time, if you don't mind me asking?
I had prodromal labor for a week before finally going into active labor with Esther. Oh, & it was back labor too and nothing got the pain to ease even a little bit. After about 32 hours of not being able to sleep or really eat or anything, I went in to the hospital & pretty much begged for Pitocin & narcotics. Even with the augmentation, I was in labor nearly 2 days straight. It wasn't pretty.

However, this time I've been through it & I know what to expect & exactly what the hospital can & cannot do for me. They're great for augmentation, but frankly the Fentanyl wasn't worth the effort it took the nurse to push it. It did let me doze a little, though, which was what I really needed.

I can explain the physical exhaustion very easily...This was the culmination of a week's worth of labor (it typically started mid-afternoon & then petered out around 9 or 10 at night), after all. The mental/emotional exhaustion is much harder to describe, but it was the deciding factor in going in.

#12 of 13 Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM

I don't know... I'm planning a hb with a hb midwife but dh is really pushing for a uc and I'm sort of leaning that way too. What would be perfect is to have a doula who would be willing to attend a uc because that's basically all the midwife does for me anyway (except for helping with the cleanup which my mom will probably be here for anyway).
I missed my appointment with my midwife yesterday (sort of an interviewing apt.). Totally forgot!!!
Maybe it's a sign!
#13 of 13 Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie76 View Post
That's what I did last time. I talked myself into a super fast labor which made it easy to UC I will probably do something similar this time, but I already have let DH know that if everything is going fine that I will probably want to keep it just us. He feels comfortable with it after our "oops" UC. I might talk to one of my friends (who is fine with UC) to be labor support because I enjoyed having my friend who was my doula there last time. Or maybe not. I have no clue how I'll feel about it until I'm going through it, which I'm fine with.

Anyway, just make sure you talk to your DH about not calling people unless you say so. My DH did not understand that last time and called both my doula (who I was glad to have) and the midwife (who I really didn't want there) because he thought that labor was progressing so quickly that they needed to be there.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page