For those with severe morning sickness... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(the kind that lasts all day).

I just wanted to share a little of my experience with it. With ds1 I was horrendously sick for the first 5 1/2 months! Every little movement would send me into a series of dry heaves that would always end with me almost passing out. It felt like every muscle in my body would contract with each heave. You get the picture. I was at a seminar (I'm a chiropractor) and after sitting there for about a half hour I got up to ask for my money back so I could go home and be sick there instead in front of all those people. Some lady in the back of the room saw me and came over to see if she could help make me a little more comfortable before my ride home. Turns out she was a certified cranial sacral therapist and ended up working on me for about 1 1/2 hrs. The green circles under my eyes disappeared when I got off the table (where she was working on me) and I actually felt hungry for the first time in months. The next morning I woke up symptom free. Granted I still felt pregnant but I no longer had the violent reaction from being upright and moving.
With my second pregnancy I saw a CST at about 9 wks, and after two sessions the violent morning sickness was all gone.

This time I only waited until I spent one whole day in bed (and at the toilet) before I found a practitioner. Forget about trying to "hold out" and wait for it to pass on its own!! I saw her this morning and she spent a good 1 1/2 on me. Again, I actually felt hungry afterward, not just knowing I had to eat so I wouldn't get sick, but actual hunger. I'm still a little woozy and have to be careful I don't move too quickly because that makes me feel a little nauseous. But compared to what I knew I was in for, I'd say my symptoms are pretty managable again.

You can google cst for more info but if you want to find a practioner I recommend finding one through the upledger institute. Just google it. Prices range from $30 a session to $90 and up (mine did it for $30 because she just got back from a training session and wanted to get her hands on as many bodies as possible to solidify some of the new holds she learned.

Just thought I'd share because I know how bad morning sickness can be, especially when it lasts 24 hours a day. I can't exactly put my life and responsibilities on hold just because I'm pregnant and cranial sacral work has done so much good for me in that regard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 PM

I will so use this if I get morning sickness like I did last time, in and out of the hospital for IV's... I was bleeding from all the acid, it was horrible. I was sick up until AFTER I delivered my son. I threw up everyday for nine months. My biggest enemy was BBQ sandwiches... which husband happens to love.

caffix.gif wife to DH kewl.gif and mama to Kaden notes2.gif 1/1/06 and Jagger babyboy.gif 4/21/12

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 PM

I'm in the Oct ddc but popped in here to see my friend Marie (rmzbm) and noticed your thread.

WOW. I've been diagnosed w/ hyperemesis gravidarum this pregnancy (4th one, 3rd w/ HG or HG-like symptoms) and tried everything. I was even on Zofran and Reglan and B6/Unisom and phenergan just to get away from the sick feeling. I couldn't eat to save my life. It was awful. And being hospitalized for puking blood is not my idea of a fun way to spend the weekend! I spend a lot of time visiting the forums on hyperemesis.org knowing I'm not alone.

Had I known to try CST I would have! I was willing to try anything if it was even suggested that it might help. I'll keep it in mind if I ever have another baby.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM

I will be looking into this for me. I don't want to end up in the ER to get an iv again ... no fun. Thank you
Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM

What a great suggestion! With dd we went to the hospital for an IV twice because I was so sick. I'm not sick yet , but I will definately add this to my list.

:::
Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

wOW. i THREW UP BILE BUT NEVER BLOOD.
sorry computer is wacky because of all the humidity.
The first time I had it done, the cst told me that parts of my brain were actually constricted and not getting enough cerebral spinal fluid (nourishment and waste removal in the brain and spinal cord). The second time the cst (a different one) told me my sphenoid bone was confused and sort of moving all over the place. That made sense because the pituitary gland rests on the sphenoid bone in the skull and being the master gland that it is... if it was bouncing around and not stable I can imagine why I felt so horrible.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
wOW. i THREW UP BILE BUT NEVER BLOOD.
That is one traumatic event, let me tell you. I was FREAKING OUT. The ER doc said it was likely because of the violence of the vomiting irritating my esophagus.

Quote:
The first time I had it done, the cst told me that parts of my brain were actually constricted and not getting enough cerebral spinal fluid (nourishment and waste removal in the brain and spinal cord). The second time the cst (a different one) told me my sphenoid bone was confused and sort of moving all over the place. That made sense because the pituitary gland rests on the sphenoid bone in the skull and being the master gland that it is... if it was bouncing around and not stable I can imagine why I felt so horrible.
This is interesting. I had no idea.

As a chiro, do you offer CST to your clients? And will you ever move to Texas? :

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 AM

Thanks for this info! I had really bad m/s with my second pregnancy. I threw up every day until 32 weeks and still was nauseous all the way to the end. I'm already a little queasy and I literally just found out I'm preggo, so I anxious that this time might be worse. I have a really busy 16 month old and a 3yo to take care of and I can't be super sick. I'm going to see my chiro tommorrow (who does have some training in CST) and I'll ask about it.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 08-08-2007, 04:58 AM

This is really good to know. I wonder if my chiro offers this? I am hyperemesis prone and definitely not looking forward to going down that road, thanks so much for the post!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
As a chiro, do you offer CST to your clients? And will you ever move to Texas? :
I do some basic cranial sacral work on patients but it usually takes a long time and our office visits are set up to only last a max of 30 min so I refer out for it.
And no, Texas doesn't seem to be in our sites at the moment
Old 08-08-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
I do some basic cranial sacral work on patients but it usually takes a long time and our office visits are set up to only last a max of 30 min so I refer out for it.
And no, Texas doesn't seem to be in our sites at the moment
Well, I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

My therapist actually recommended I see someone who does CST. And that was for my mental state. I should have heeded his advice! :

Old 08-09-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post

My therapist actually recommended I see someone who does CST. And that was for my mental state. I should have heeded his advice! :
Definitely! Our bodies store emotional trauma in ways that just delving in and talking about it doesn't seem to completely heal.
It's not uncommon to experience intense emotions or see certain life events in your minds eye when having a session. At my last session, the cst was so surprised that I didn't experience any emotion... okay maybe I did feel a little guilt for resenting the unexpectedness of this pregnancy but I was able to work through it and I didn't feel like sharing with her. Other than that, I was flopping around on the table and it was purely physical tension. My body kept wanting to corkscrew and then my head did some really weird extension stretches. The cst really thought I was working through some birth trauma of my own because of all the work my body was doing. My personal birth was very rapid - my mom had given birth to my brother, who was breech, naturally and in a hospital and had sufferend many internal injuries as a result. So when she was 4 month pg with me, her entire uterus prolapsed (literally out of her body) with me in it! She was put on bedrest for the remainder fo the pregnancy an when I was born, I just shot out.
Anyway.

User Tag List