Better Out Than In: Aug 20-26 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-20-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As in: coming out of this pregnancy in better shape than we went into it.

Another brand-new week, another chance to work on our exercise and healthy eating habits!

You can find last week's thread here.
#2 of 21 Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

I totally slacked off the last half of last week. M/s is ramping up for me, too,though I will not complain as I know I have it easy compared to many others.

DH is on a business trip, so I biked to and from school 4 times today. I also biked to the grocery store and to DD's dance class. All told, about 30 minutes.

I didn't do arm weights at all last week; all my muscles feel achey like I have the flu and I can't imagine lifting weights. I keep forgetting to do Kegels half the time, too. Sigh.

I read about an easy pregnancy ab exercise in another DDC here: you sit in a chair, back straight, and try to pull your navel to your spine. Easy to do and can be done anytime I'm sitting and remember it, like Kegels.

My healthy eating took a slight dip when I confirmed that I am totally non-diabetic this weekend . I think from here on out I'll allow myself the occasional sweet treat, knowing that (a) it's much, much less than it was before I got pregnant, and (b) I'll have to cut it all out again in about 4 months.
#3 of 21 Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Last week was bad for me too, I swear those steak 'ums where calling to me! : Those are gone now though and I am doing much better in the eating healthy department, it also helps that my appetite is literally gone now. I got on the scale last night and I am down 4 pounds so I haven't gained anything yet.

I went out and bought some Pregnancy tea thats really good and I am drinking 2 cups a day. I plan on kicking it into gear with RRL tea starting at about week 20.

Exercise had taken a back seat for now, it's just too HOT outside to do anything. I'd love to be able to go for long walks with the kids again but with the heat at 104 and the air quality at "extremely poor" its hard to get out of the house. Hopefully once it cools down we can get back to the park and walk again.
#4 of 21 Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 PM

I had every intention of getting on the elliptical this afternoon when DD napped, but we just got back from a bounce house place (a bunch giant inflatables to play on) and I am wiped. My aching hip is really sore and I feel like I got a pretty decent workout climbing in and out of the bouncies and up and down the slides.

Will work on at least 30min walk each day and the elliptical 3x this week. I am working Tu/Th so thats a lot of on my feet time, too.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#5 of 21 Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. . . this thread was all the way on page 4! Guess that means most of us are feeling crappy and not getting much exercise done. Never fear, after m/s blows out of town we still have half a year or so to kick butt!

I've done a few stomach exercises (thank you, whoever posted the link to the BeFit Mom site in another thread--good stuff there!), and a few Kegels. Lots of biking to school while DH is gone; he's back today, though, so I've only biked to the grocery store.

Tonight we're having tacos, and I have this craving for sauteed mushroom and spinach sandwiches I'm going to indulge tomorrow for lunch. Today I was very, very bad and dragged the whole family to McD (gasp!) for lunch. I never eat burgers there, always salads, but this is my second Quarter Pounder in one week. Please, please let this craving pass!
#6 of 21 Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 AM

Hi fellow exercisers! So far I have just been running/jogging for about 30 min a day. Before pregnancy, I use to do that plus another little 25 min workout with my husband- ab/thigh/butt kinda thing before bed. I also teach martial arts, but I haven't really decided what I am going to do with that just yet.

I didn't work out with my first pregnancy and I regretted it a lot, esp when I felt so good doing it with my second. I would like to step it up a bit with this pregnancy and not just walk but also do some other things.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#7 of 21 Old 08-23-2007, 11:01 AM

I walked Monday, skipped Tuesday but I walked twice yesterday, once in the AM and once in the PM to make up for Tuesday. I already walked this morning but dh is working late so we'll probably go again tonight.

It is sooooooo hot here. I don't want to go outside at all unless it's early morning or dusk. That makes it hard on dd b/c she's getting bored inside the house. She doesn't want to play with her toys, she just wants to sit and read together, which is great, but it makes me so super tired.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#8 of 21 Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM

We live about a tenth of a mile from dd's school so I'm walking there and back each day. Beyond that I'm not doing much at the moment. I'm hoping that small amount of forced walking will help some and maybe have me ready to do more if I can keep away from the bathroom.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#9 of 21 Old 08-23-2007, 10:05 PM

So I went to martial arts tonight and I think it is going to be my last class. My back hurts and I didn't really even put a whole lot into the class. I am actually a tiny bit worried I did something. I know that is not logical, but pregnancy worries I guess are sometimes not logical at all I mean, it wasn't any more strenuous than jogging but I dunno....it has me worried. So I think I am going to stop for now and stick with just jogging.

With DS, I continued Martial Arts until the 6th month. I dunno this time, I just have an instinct that I should stop.

I am going to look into prenatal yoga classes or swimming tomorrow.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#10 of 21 Old 08-24-2007, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

I have a gym membership that I haven't used in months--I used to go every Thursday to an aerobics class with a friend, but stopped back in April when things got so hectic with eldest DD. Of course I'm not going to start back up on a springy jumpy class now that I'm pregnant, but I've been thinking maybe I should go two mornings a week and do the treadmill or the bike.

My membership is a "52 times a year" membership, so it's appealing to think I can catch up on all the weeks I've let it go unused (and thus not have wasted that money) by going twice a week now.

But so far that's where it's stayed. . . an appealing idea. And the gym is a five-minute walk from here . Once m/s has passed, perhaps? Yeah, that's it!
#11 of 21 Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 AM

Things have been so hard for me this week. We have a nasty stomach bug going on in our house which doesn't help with the already existing terrible nausea that I have. I have no energy to exercise because I haven't been able to eat much at all. Last weekend I went on a good run outside, probably 5 miles or so, but I haven't done any exercise this week (other than brief walks).

I hope this gets better SOON. It's awful :
#12 of 21 Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Today I did a 25 min run/jog. I took the kids to the playground twice today and i figure that made up for the short run!

#13 of 21 Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Asa View Post
Things have been so hard for me this week. We have a nasty stomach bug going on in our house which doesn't help with the already existing terrible nausea that I have. I have no energy to exercise because I haven't been able to eat much at all. Last weekend I went on a good run outside, probably 5 miles or so, but I haven't done any exercise this week (other than brief walks).

I hope this gets better SOON. It's awful :
s

#14 of 21 Old 08-25-2007, 04:30 PM

Today I did some martial arts in the backyard and then weeded the gardens...which I count as a work out since it's 95 degrees out

We're getting Pizza for dinner tonight, and I'm excited to stuff my face with it But I don't feel tooooo bad since I worked out;

#15 of 21 Old 08-25-2007, 07:00 PM

I was doing really good going into this pregnancy. In fact, I lost 10 lbs. during this pregnancy before I found out that I was pregnant. But, now I'm soooo sick and exhausted. I wasn't sick at all with DD or tired. I'm not throwing up... though that takes a lot of effort and a lot of laying on the couch. I miss my walking, Stroller Strides, yoga. I'm beginning to wonder if I have twins in there or something. Any suggestions?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#16 of 21 Old 08-25-2007, 07:23 PM

I would wait until the morning sickness abated a little before pushing exercise. Is there any period of time that you don't feel sick? Maybe you could work things in slowly. I was sick at the begining with DS and I would start by just sitting outside for a bit, the air helped a lot. Then I would work up to walking the dog a bit...taking DD for a walk...then up to walking around the park as the M/s faded.

#17 of 21 Old 08-25-2007, 07:41 PM

My mom and I took the kids swimming today, it was great because there was NO ONE else at the pool so we had the whole thing to ourselves. My mom watched the kids while I did some laps and then visa versa, I got in about 10 laps before I petered out. It felt so good to be in the water though!
#18 of 21 Old 08-26-2007, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Swimming sounds great . . . I'm thinking maybe that should become my exercise of choice later on when my belly gets big. The kids would be delighted--they love to go to the pool. Though I guess I'd mostly be going while they're at school.
#19 of 21 Old 08-26-2007, 10:45 AM

Swimming does sound good. I know the high school here had open swim in the afternoon and weekends through the summer, but I'm not sure where I could swim without spending a ton of money at the moment. We were in the ocean last week and just trying to keep ds's head over the top of the waves while we were sitting down in very shallow water was a work out. The waves were rough, but very low that night. I know the kids would love it if we got in the habit of running to the beach every evening. I'm not sure I could handle the sand clean up every evening or morning though.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#20 of 21 Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 AM

It's been unbearably hot here so I don't do as much walking and yard work-I'd like to find a pregancy yoga dvd-anyone have any suggestions?
My diet is pretty good but I am all down with it getting better....

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#21 of 21 Old 08-26-2007, 07:43 PM

sapientia, I don't have any pregnancy yoga suggestions but I will ask a friend of mine tomorrow that I know has done that.

I'd also love to talk diet if anyone else is up for it. The main things I need some help on are snacks. I'm the kind of person who ends up buying the same boring stuff and I would love some new ideas for healthy but yummy snacks- both on the go and "cooking/preparation needed" type snacks.

Today I did a 40 min split- 20 min brisk walking 20 min running. I also did some more weeding in the garden.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page