WEEKLY UPDATE/CHAT THREAD *Aug 20-27* Come say HI! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I meant to start this last week after I put up the poll about it, but I completely forgot!

I think maybe as an icebreaker I will add a "question of the week" (QOTW) so we can get to know each other. Feel free to tell us how you are feeling and what you've been up to!

QOTW: What are your favorite hobbies?

Whoever sees the thread needs to be started each Monday can feel free to start it. Just try to add a link in the last weekly thread to the current weekly thread, so if you are subscribed you won't get lost.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#2 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

So I'll start the thread off by replying to myself

My fav hobbies are knitting, cooking, reading (especially about topics pertaining to homesteading), and hiking. I'm not especially good at any other crafts such as sewing, dyeing, scrapbooking, etc but I've tried a little of them all. I do really enjoy home decor and interior design and I'm about 50% done with a complete remodel of my current home.

I also want to add an explanation of why I didn't start this thread last week as planned. We thought that this pregnancy was in jeopardy because my mom has a current CMV infection (it is causing her to have hepatitis symptoms) and I was around her before we knew what she had. We had to wait a week for blood test results to make sure I'd had it before, and that I wasn't showing signs of current infection. It was really scary in the waiting period, which is why I didn't post much last week. I was afraid I might not get to stay here. But my midwife called this morning and told me my titer showed I've had CMV before and she thinks everything will be fine. I guess I can start getting excited now!

~Rebecca~

#3 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 03:35 PM

Hiii!

My favorite hobbies are horses and Volkswagens. I'm sure I have more, but I think I'm angry at them right now (I can only take SO MUCH of my sewing machine). Obviously I can't ride horses at the moment, and probably won't have the money to for a good long while (which bugs, the lady I lease from just got a palomino hunter mare, and I dont even wanna know... I love palomino). It's too hot to clean or work on my car, so really I guess you could say my only current hobby is sitting on my butt on the computer. I am going to get so fat.

I hear you on the waiting for tests. A friend of mine's babe broke into a rash while we were in a town almost three hours from home and after we decided he wasn't allergic to anything we freaked out about him having the measles. The nurse on the phone said it didn't sound like it, so we went home (together). The next day the doctor said it was either fifth's disease (also not good) or a wierd form of measles (jeez, break my heart why don't you) or roseola (whew). The next day he seemed too dehydrated to draw blood for the test so she just took him to the emergency room and they told her there that it was just a benign rash. She says it's totally gone today. Holy living crap, what a scary few days that was... I can't imagine the week wait.
#4 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 PM

leah here. expecting our third.

hobbies: cooking, clothes ( ), my local MDC thread, yoga, general laziness

i dabble in: sewing, scrapbooking

look forward to chattin' with ya ladies more....
#5 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 PM

grrrrr

I just wrote out an entire reply and when I tried to post it I got redirected to the login page (I was already logged in ) and then my whole post got erased.

Anyway, I've been feeling kind of better lately. I think part of it is the weather (cool and rainy), and part of it is that I have started drinking a protein shake in the middle of the night (whenever I wake up).

My MIL flew in on Saturday and we all went to a Phillies vs. Pirates game on Sunday and got rained out. It was pretty chilly and I had long johns on the kids (crazy in the middle of august : ).

Today I worked up the energy to drag MIL and the kids to IKEA (got a present for her to take back for my nephew - a wooden train set for $12!!!) and Once upon a Child where I scored a slew of maternity clothes for 50% off! Apparently they are discontinuing their maternity section. I got mostly smalls (which are big on me now) and some mediums but I couldn't even look at the larges and xtra larges!!! I know that I'll need them eventually but I just can't take the thought of gaining all that weight again. It seemed that I gained the majority of my personal (non-baby) weight in the last 6 weeks, probably most starting when I went past my date of Oct 23 (he was eventually born NOV 15). Understandably so, I was pretty inactive (other than chasing my 20 month old around) and at the end I didn't care about what I ate so long as it made me feel good (comfort eating for someone who normally doesn't ). The kids did relatively well on our shopping trip even though it ended up being a longer trip than expected.

Anyway, to answer the hobby question, I don't really like to think of myself as a "hobby" person (I just hate the word... it makes me feel old and boring: ). I love to knit and constantly drool over yarn on the internet and love looking for new patterns to work with. I don't have much of a stash (despite what dh thinks) because I usually knit up whatever I just purchased. I kind of put my knitting aside for the summer since we've been concentrating on getting our office up and running.
I also like to scrapbook but I never do. All my supplies are stored in a few rubbermaid totes in the living room so in order to do anything I need to drag the out and it all gets spread out till I'm finished with a layout. I usually don't have the time to do a layout while the kids are napping and I'm usually too uncreative by the time they go to sleep. Once we get into a bigger place (and hopefully our own home) I'll organize stuff better so I can do the things I enjoy more often.
I garden, but that's gone to garbage since I've been pg. Dh is harvesting but I haven't done much at all. We've got cucumbers, watermelons, cantaloupe, squash (but I hear all the plants died), tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, sunflowers, lemon balm, yarrow, sage, chives, basil, cilantro, parsley, dill, fennel, and we had radishes and beets but they got washed away with the rain.
I have a few professional hobbies but don't feel like getting into them right now
#6 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM

I like photography and trying to learn to knit...I really want to get more hobbies..But right now trying not to vomit is my main one.
#7 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM

I have a few hobbies and a few wanna-be hobbies... if that makes any sense!!!! I figure skate (obviously not at the moment, but have been competitive for about 15 years?) and LOVE to read and nap.. does napping count as a hobby? I want to learn to sew, knit, and scrap book... especially scrap book since the baby is coming!!!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#8 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 04:58 PM

Hi! These days my main hobbies are music (handbells, some singing), cooking, running, and biking. I haven't been doing too much of the last 2 lately since I have had some spotting with this pregnancy. The last time I spotted was last Wednesday, so I'm thinking about taking a walk tonight and then maybe doing some easy running later in the week.

I used to knit but gave it up because I am slow and couldn't find the time. However, I'm going to start again so I can knit things for this babe! Any day now... Actually I have a business trip coming up in 4 weeks so I will definitely knit then if I don't get started before.

I'm 5 weeks 3 days and m/s hasn't started yet. Last time it started around 6 weeks so I figure it's coming. Sort of hope so, just for the extra reassurance that I'm pregnant! Exhaustion and peeing I've got covered. Anyway, I kind of hope this pregnancy is like my last in that I never really vomited; instead I had diarrhea and major food aversions.

Speaking of exhaustion... it's that time of day where I wish I could put my head down on my desk... :yawning: but no, it's actually time to go home and cook dinner!!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#9 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 04:59 PM

Hello...

What is it I do? I scrap book a little, I'm teaching myself to knit, and will be teaching myself to use a sewing machine as soon as MIL husband finishes fixing the old one that he got me.

I do other things that are not all artise. I read and hang out on MDC. I've also been doing a lot in my spiritual self.

I need to get off my butt and clean my house but ... nah.. that takes too much energy and moving around.

I think that's all I got right now.
#10 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Hi!

Love these threads and seeing what everyone else is interested in

My main hobby is cooking, I LOVE to cook and bake. I have like 30 cookbooks and sometimes I'll just sit and read them even if I'm not planning on cookng.
Another hobby I have is art, I love art and sometimes I'll dabble in it myself and do a little artwork
#11 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM

Hi ladies! I like scrap booking, but don't get to do it that often since I have two toddlers! I'm a Harry Potter nut and spend a lot of time reading. I also study a lot of Egyptology since my religion is based on their pantheon of Gods.
#12 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 05:14 PM

I obviously need a hobby. I just work and research stuff for my clients, play with babies, play with my babe and try to keep the house from falling down. I used to sew, knit, paint and read. It would be nice to get back into that again.
#13 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyH View Post
I have like 30 cookbooks and sometimes I'll just sit and read them even if I'm not planning on cookng.
Hey, you sound like me! When I remodeled my kitchen I purposely designed in for 2 big commericial looking shelves for my cookbook collection I read cookbooks and look for things I might make sometime, or about different techniques. Usually when I want to cook something new, I've already read a few different recipes for it so I can just freehand it without an actual recipe in front of me

~Rebecca~

#14 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 07:41 PM

We need a cookbook exchange!!
#15 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Hey, you sound like me! When I remodeled my kitchen I purposely designed in for 2 big commericial looking shelves for my cookbook collection
Okay so, if ya'll get together, I want to be there.
Eating is another hobby of mine, I forgot that one.
#16 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
Okay so, if ya'll get together, I want to be there.
Eating is another hobby of mine, I forgot that one.
Too bad we don't all live close together, we could have a big ole potluck!
#17 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 PM

I'm Michelle, expecting my third also.

My hobbies? Scrapbooking is a biggie (I'm a consultant with a huge scrapbooking company--yeah, that one!). I also love to:

Read -- currently "Pushed" by Jennifer Block
Sew -- supposed to be working on a craft exchange project--produce bags
Crochet -- working on a reusable grocery sack made of cut-up strips of plastic bags
Cook -- I love to cook, and every year I host Tamale Making Day for my women-friends
Write -- published in various places
Birth Junkie -- I volunteer with various organizations as well as my paid doula work
Lactivist -- Is this a hobby? It's more of a vocation!

Most of these things have been on the slide since about all I can do right now is drive the kids to school and lie around the rest of the time. I am looking forward to the energy of the second trimester!
#18 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 PM

Kim here - my hobby in the past few years has been starting hobbies I never finish! But I hope to take up knitting again to make cute hats for the babe, and I do sew just a bit. We moved recently and we need curtains everywhere. I garden a lot - which again, since we just moved, it involves more hard work and digging and moving rocks around than it will next year hopefully. I also was cross-stitching some quilt squares, and my mom had some of the same squares. We are cut from the same cloth, because she started and stopped too! So once I tell her the news, we'll have to both start again and maybe we can finish it before the baby comes or something.

Eating and cookbooks and overall gustatory enjoyment is a big hobby in this house as well, and I'm looking forward to cooking and baking at home more as we stay home more often.

I'm hoping my best friends and I can take some sort of class together this winter (neither of them have kids, maybe never will), like pottery or stained glass or something so that we can enjoy our last days of me being unattached (um, except for the husband of course!). And I'd like them to come help paint a mural in the nursery too, some sort of tribal theme - think cave-drawings of gazelles, zebras, sun, moon, acacia tree...so I will have to start sketching things out.

*pshew* OK, I'm tired just thinking about all that...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#19 of 100 Old 08-20-2007, 11:46 PM

Hi! I'm an obsessive crocheter

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#20 of 100 Old 08-21-2007, 12:22 AM

My hubby, 2 year old and practice (I'm a chiropractor) keep me pretty busy. I garden just a bit and home improvement seems to be my hobbie as of late. Can sitting on my butt in fount of the computer be considered a hobbie?
#21 of 100 Old 08-21-2007, 11:16 AM

My hobbies:

-reading and talking about literature. Right now a friend and I are reading His Dark Materials and talking about it together as we read.

-finding new and fun things to do with the kids

-bargain hunting

-anime watching with friends-- tied into this is also video gaming.

-cooking

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#22 of 100 Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 AM

hello, Jordan here...

I have a few minor hobbies. I like cycling, playing piano and reading. DH likes to cook, so I'd definitely join any recipe swap to have him cook for me!
#23 of 100 Old 08-21-2007, 11:47 AM

Hey mamas!!

My main hobby is sewing! I love to sew. While I do get burnt out sewing certain things for my businesses, i love to just sew what I want too!

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#24 of 100 Old 08-21-2007, 10:20 PM

so this is for chatting too right?

i've been a little nervous the past few days b/c i have felt really good--energy, bubbly, just all around good! then i was like maybe that isn't a good sign.....then today i ate a big breakfast and felt fine, then some waves of nausea, then the whole rest of the day extreme hunger! rumbling tummy, even huge doses of protein leave me wanting more anybody else have this. usually i have crazy pukey-ness (although i don't remember when that started...) finger crossed i avoid that this time around.

anywho, is it just me or does it seem like there is an extra large due-spring crop this year?
#25 of 100 Old 08-22-2007, 12:54 AM

Carriebft, I loved that series! And while I'm not into anime, I'm AFK in World of Warcraft right now. ;-) Though I really only play MMOGs... not into FPS or RTS-type games.

Anyway... I'm Monica, and... hobbies? I have interests, I suppose, and stuff I do, but like someone else (sorry now I don't remember who said it), the term "hobby" just doesn't suit me.

My interests include food, especially adapting recipes to be gluten- and dairy-free... Transportation (I have a Master's in Transportation Planning, but I never got around to practicing it before DS was born), and sitting on my butt at the computer... mostly on several parenting-related email lists and playing World of Warcraft or Neopets. ;-) I used to sew a long time ago, but haven't in ages.
#26 of 100 Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meche View Post
Cook -- I love to cook, and every year I host Tamale Making Day for my women-friends
Ohhhh... Tamales... can I come? ;-)

I love love LOVE tamales, but these days I have a lot of trouble finding decent ones that are wheat, dairy, soy, and canola free :-(. Everyone uses margarine instead of lard because it's "healthier"! There's some frozen ones at Whole Foods that are technically safe, but they taste icky.
#27 of 100 Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 AM

mmmmmm....tamales......

what i really really have been craving and can't find soy free is a great Mole. it seems to labor intensive to make.....esp since my dd would not be able to eat it....

food restriction make any ethnic food SO difficult--with no soy asian food is tough and italian food without dairy and wheat--oy! i have had a lot of experience with dairy and nightshade (tomatos, chiles)-free mexican food.....

mmmmm..i am so glad food sounds good still
#28 of 100 Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Carriebft, I loved that series! And while I'm not into anime, I'm AFK in World of Warcraft right now. ;-) Though I really only play MMOGs... not into FPS or RTS-type games.
I love MMOs...but we have quit them for the time being (my husband and I). But before we decided to step back from them for a bit, I played FFXI (topped out my white mage and I miss it sooo much) and World of Warcraft. We are thinking of going back soon and choosing a new game together. There are some fun ones in works that we are considering.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#29 of 100 Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinespurlock View Post
My hubby, 2 year old and practice (I'm a chiropractor) keep me pretty busy. I garden just a bit and home improvement seems to be my hobbie as of late. Can sitting on my butt in fount of the computer be considered a hobbie?
How long have you been practicing??? Dh and I finally opened up our own practice this past spring (after several reeaaaaaallly bad associateships!). How long do you think you'll continue practicing (into your pg)? I don't think I'm going to adjust after around 7 or 7 1/2 months but dh may be able to convince me to stick around until 8
#30 of 100 Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
How long have you been practicing??? Dh and I finally opened up our own practice this past spring (after several reeaaaaaallly bad associateships!). How long do you think you'll continue practicing (into your pg)? I don't think I'm going to adjust after around 7 or 7 1/2 months but dh may be able to convince me to stick around until 8
I've only been practicing 5 years. We did a buy-out so after two years the practice was ours. My DH is a chiro too. So I'd like to slow down right around 6 months but my hubbie would wants me out there longer too. We were real lucky to find the buy out we did, I have friends from school still surfing around. Opening day must have been exciting. It will be fun having someone in my DDC that's also a chiro!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page