any other vegetarians/vegans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just thought i'd check to see?
i went vegetarian when i was 10 and vegan when i was 14. ive been vegan about 14 years now. my dd is vegan since conception and this little sprout will be too.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 PM

I'm a vegetarian, or almost. I became a vegetarian in 1989 after spending my childhood not liking meat. About 5 years ago I started eating very small amounts of fish. It started with maybe 3 servings per year (basically just when I was in Hawaii on vacation) and has increased to about 10 per year, or maybe a bit more if I am on vacation in a hard place to eat as a vegetarian, like Iceland or the Faroe Islands. So I am no longer officially a vegetarian, but I still feel like one.

Until very recently, DD was a vegetarian too, but she has started eating fish with the same frequency that I do. She doesn't eat much food in the first place, and probably less than her average portion size if it's fish.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

hello!! i feel we all need to listen to our own bodies with what we need to eat,kwim? if your body says fish then eat fish!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:46 PM

I've been a vegetarian for nearly 6 months. The change was a long time in the making over about the last 7 years starting when one of my friends became a vegetarian.

DH is a vegetarian in our home but not outside of the house. He is very supportive. DD has never liked meat very well but I don't discourage her from eating it if she is around it outside of our home.

I love cooking and I find veg cooking to be so flavorful and creative!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 PM

I am a full time vegetarian and a part time - wannabe - vegan. NO meat, NO eggs...but dairy IS an issue. We never buy milk BUT we have ice cream, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese a LOT. *sigh* Working on it...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Born and raised veggie - but I started eating fish about 8 years ago. DD is veggie with fish too.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:23 PM

I became a vegetarian at age 10 too. Was vegan for a couple years in college. In my mid-twenties I started eating fish occasionally and still do, maybe a couple times a month. Both of my kids eat the same way, 95% vegetarian with a little bit of fish occasionally.

DD is commited to it at this point. The idea of eating animals (fish excepted) horrifies her. DS is another matter. He is adamant about wanting to eat meat. My husband still eats meat, as does the rest of our extended family, so he has lots of exposure. Still strategizing about what to do about this, because his desire to eat it has resulted in near-tantrums at times.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

i think it can make it a lot harder on the kids when one parent eats it still. my dh is vegan as well which works out nicely for us. he was vegetarian when we met and ive told him many times that if he ever feels the need to go back i would be ok with it.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I am a full time vegetarian and a part time - wannabe - vegan. NO meat, NO eggs...but dairy IS an issue. We never buy milk BUT we have ice cream, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese a LOT. *sigh* Working on it...
just saw your post

Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 AM

We're omnivores here... BUT, we're dairy-free, which makes "vegan" a very meaningful phrase for us. ;-) Of course, now that I'm soy-free too, "raw" is WAY more meaningful...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 AM

Omnivores here too.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:47 AM

i stopped eating all red meat when i was 14, but my parents made me keep eating fish and fowl til i moved out at 17 (yeah i was NOT happy about that) but when i went off to college i went full fledge lacto ovo and have not turned back since. Meat used to make me sick when i was forced to eat it, and I wasnt always very fond of veggies like i love them now, so i lived on lots of starches and grains

My dd is 3.5, she eats meat. When I make "mama burgers" at home (bocas or whatever) she eats those just fine. She asked me a few weeks ago when we were going thru a drivethru, why doesn't mama eat these burgers but mama eats mama burgers, I just told her, "mama doesn't eat animals, honey." I will never hide from her the fact of what meat IS, like most children don't seem to really understand it. My theory is also, unless a person can physically bring themselves to kill an animal, they have no business eating it My dad is an avid hunter and fisherman and eats everything he takes, and people that do that, I can respect that. People who say, OH i could NEVER kill a deer or whatever and then wax about how tasty it is, they bother me :

User Tag List