CD moms are you shopping for fluff yet? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 08-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mentioned diapers to DH last night and he kind of started panicking. I think the realities of impending parenthood are hitting him hard.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#62 of 80 Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 AM

I made a decision. I think I'll go with mostly prefolds for everyday use, but get a few AIOs for when we're out and about.

I used prefolds while babysitting for a friend (I watched her kid in exchange for living at her house for a summer), and they're not difficult, even for a buffoon such as myself.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#63 of 80 Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
I made a decision. I think I'll go with mostly prefolds for everyday use, but get a few AIOs for when we're out and about.

I used prefolds while babysitting for a friend (I watched her kid in exchange for living at her house for a summer), and they're not difficult, even for a buffoon such as myself.
I always tend to go back to my prefolds. They're just so easy (IMO) and they wash and dry well too. When I'm out of the house I do like pretty ones though to show off.

And Jennisee :
#64 of 80 Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
I mentioned diapers to DH last night and he kind of started panicking. I think the realities of impending parenthood are hitting him hard.
: : :
#65 of 80 Old 08-27-2007, 08:26 PM

so for those prefolders out there... what pfs do you love? I've only used unbleached indian cotton 4x6x4's off ebays granitesmith (I don't know if that store is still open... it's been about 4 years since I bought them). I know they weren't high up on the totem pole of dipes so my experience with them was... eh. Fine for pee, blowouts with bm poopies. I don't like stained inners on covers (they just don't sun out as nice as dipes).
#66 of 80 Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 PM

I love unbleached indian prefolds, that is what I am using again this time for the newborn/infant stage. I have purchased from Granitesmith too and they are still on Ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgranitesmith

I had a few blowouts when Jack was little but nothing horrible, but then again I don't mind a few stains on covers. I like the Thirsties covers I just got because they have the nice gussets on the legs to hold everything in.
#67 of 80 Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 PM

And where does on get these thirsties covers?
What about pfs and wool? Longies? I hate pins and almost hate snappies just as much. I do like how pfs sun out so nicely and completely.
#68 of 80 Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I hate pins and almost hate snappies just as much. I do like how pfs sun out so nicely and completely.
After my son got to the pulling up/cruising stage, we dropped the Snappi in favor of a diaper belt... lemme dig up a pic:

http://www.boondock.org/photos/2005/DSC02231.JPG

Of course, by that time, most poop was going in the potty... not sure how it would work with conventional diapering. ;-) It was easy to pull pants over if we needed to, and we could leave the belt on while changing him, which meant changing was a one-piece job.
#69 of 80 Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
And where does on get these thirsties covers?
What about pfs and wool? Longies? I hate pins and almost hate snappies just as much. I do like how pfs sun out so nicely and completely.
I usually get my prefolds from prefold Co-ops, they are just finishing one here on MDC but they also do alot at diaperswappers.com
Diaperswappers is where I get the majority of my diapering needs because there are so many cloth diapering mamas, you can find everything there! If you are looking to buy them new I like http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?category=344

www.hyenacart.com is a great place too, lots of wool WAHMs who will knit what you need
#70 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 AM

We actually just decided to start CDing DS again (tried for a few months when he was young, but quit ) so I am busy building his stash! I think I will TRY to wait till after we find out the gender of the baby before I start buying a ton. That will still give me a good 4 months. I am SO excited to CD a newborn though!!

Melissa knit.gifmilitary wife to C : Mom to Ben (4.26.06) ,Will (4.07.08), Sam (10.11.10), and expecting a GIRL in March 2013!

#71 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM

I have a stash...another stash waiting to be sewn...and I'm looking at buying a BG stash to make things easy on hubby.

Orthodox Mama
#72 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 10:59 AM

ChristyH - I guess I phrased that wrong... how do prefolds work under wool. I really don't like any other type of cover material because it never seems to be breathable enough. I can imagine blowouts on wool wraps being a pain to clean up (esp that mustard quality poop) and I don't even want to think about it on our knitted woolens. I've tried to avoid diaperswappers all these years because I don't want to get sucked in more than I am, lol.

:.... my confession is that dh is a much better pf folder than I. He gets them so nice and tight and they never fall off. Mine are lopsided (unless I do the bikini twist) and my babies always got red marks from the snappies being to tight to make up for my poor diaper folding abilities.

I'm really liking the idea of part time ECing and making my own diapers. I was starting to get worried about how much this was all going to cost (though my diaper stashes have always been very economical things are really tight here). Thanks for starting this thread OP... a third time cder has seen her light

Ironica - love your username That's a great pick. Looks like the diaper belt is just a fleece sleeve with elastic (like a big scrunchy). Is that it?
#73 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 AM

Have you ever tried the jellyroll fold? I'll see if I can find a link but its awesome for holding in everything, I never had a leak if I did that fold
#74 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 01:33 PM

Monique - I have bought Thirsties covers from the already mentioned Abby's Lane and also http://www.breesbums.com/ - Bree is local for me. Both of these mama's are very very nice. With the wrap type covers you can always just fold the prefold into thirds and lay it inside. I didn't really do that until E was older and not pooping as much though.

I wonder if you would be interested in prefitteds? (prefolds turned into fitteds) There are WAHM's who will do this and also various directions on the web to do it yourself. (check the diaper making board here) Then you could just have the snaps added - or snappi/pin them. I have thought about making prefitteds but I am way to skeeered to cut into one of our prefolds.

I also think that Green Mountain Diapers has some great looking prefold sizes - different than most standard prefolds but they really make sense. She has a lot of pictures on her website too. (and $6.50 newborn fitteds) http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm
#75 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Looks like the diaper belt is just a fleece sleeve with elastic (like a big scrunchy). Is that it?
Yep, that's it. There's instructions on the Big EC List, and they sell them ready-made at theecstore.com .

Thanks for the compliment ;-) my RL name is Monica, so it sorta fits ;-).
#76 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 02:30 PM

I actually prefer my chinese prefolds to my indian ones. And I'm weird because I like the bleached ones more than the unbleached (for some reason my bleached ones are softer).

I really like the new sizes on the greenmountaindiapers.com site. Can't wait to try those.
#77 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 03:02 PM

I'm going to make some of these in the newborn size. I've got friends watching the thrift stores for super cheap receiving blankets and I found two fleece blankets I'm going to try to turn into covers.

http://www.diapersewing.com/quick_%20and_%20easy.htm

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#78 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Yep, that's it. There's instructions on the Big EC List, and they sell them ready-made at theecstore.com .

Thanks for the compliment ;-) my RL name is Monica, so it sorta fits ;-).
I've been thinking about a new username... so with my RL name being Monique... does freakn'unique fit???
Dang, I think I just figured it out... thanks Monica

Sara- I think that I'd really like to try the prefitteds. I don't have a serger though. I can't imagine being able to turn and topstitch those. But I've seen them and I like them. I've already been scouring my house for possible yardage for diapers and I have a ton of flannel and some knits. Just need elastic and touch tape and I'll try my first one.
And double ... dh said he wants to help make dipes!!! He was saying something about an assembly line Way cool.
#79 of 80 Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 PM

oh yeah, I have been hitting the scene!
i love shopping for dipes, its my favorite part about being preg... and child size changies!

YESSSS
i have been on the DS allllllll morning.

2 kids. 1 more on the way. Cloth diapers, home birth, and boojuu is how I roll.

#80 of 80 Old 08-29-2007, 05:36 PM

I started CD with my DD when she was 5 months old and I went CRAZY with all the choices. I can honestly say, I've tried every major brand and type (fitteds, AIO's, AI2's, Pockets, wool...name it!). I will probably do a bit of the same with this one too - but we are starting with diaper service for the 1st 1 to 2 months (I'm facing a c-section/hysterectomy).

As soon as I know the gender, I'm on the hunt for newborn wool. I finally like the snappi and bought a few pins...

My favorite diapers for my DD these days are Prefolds & BSWW covers. I have 2 dozen of the old green mountain diapers "Rainbow Short" prefolds and they are my favorite. BUT, I'm going to dye them fun dharma colors!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page