Anyone Nursing?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nursing a 14 month old. I'm hoping to continue throughout my pregnancy, but I am a little worried about my milk drying up. My midwife said that I need to be eating a lot so that it doesn't.

I just hope dd isn't one of those kids that stops in the last month and then can't remember how. I'm not ready for her to stop yet.

Anyone else out there??? :

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#2 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 09:19 AM

Nursing a 13 month old here! We also plan on contiuuing;

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 09:54 AM

I'm due May 2nd, so I don't really belong here but... I plan to nurse my DD (24 months) through my pregnancy. She still loves it, so why end a good thing, right?
#4 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 AM

My babe is still nursing, pretty much just to sleep at naps and bedtime and then our morning snuggle.. I think my milk is gone - but she still cuddles right in. She turned two in May so I'm pretty comfortable with her weaning at this point, now if I can just talk her into it
#5 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 10:15 AM

Yup. My nearly 3 y/o dd nurses a lot. I've been slowly working on cutting down the frequency, though. I'm not dealing well with the sensations of nursing am getting overstimulated.

It's a huge conflict for me. I feel very strongly about child led weaning and yet don't know how much longer I can tolerate nursing while being pregnant.
#6 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post
Yup. My nearly 3 y/o dd nurses a lot. I've been slowly working on cutting down the frequency, though. I'm not dealing well with the sensations of nursing am getting overstimulated.

It's a huge conflict for me. I feel very strongly about child led weaning and yet don't know how much longer I can tolerate nursing while being pregnant.
I'm sorry, that is a struggle. I heard it can be hard and painful What sort of problems are you having and when did they start??

#7 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 AM

I'm nursing my almost 9mo and plan to tandem but it does get extremely uncomfy particularly later in the evening. I have Raynauds in the nipples and I came a long way since he was first born and some nights I feel like I am in that discomfort again...

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#8 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
I'm sorry, that is a struggle. I heard it can be hard and painful What sort of problems are you having and when did they start??
It was painful early on - that was the first clue to me that I might be pregnant. I was having shooting pains during let-down - something atypical for me.

The pain has actually eased a bit in the last week or so, but she's a very tactile child and likes to rub on my arms while she nurses. That's actually the part that is driving me up a wall! She also wiggles a lot and squirms and tends to kick me in the belly - all really unintentional but part of her very high spirited nature.

So it's nursing related stuff, but very little of it is actually related to the breasts or milk production at this point.

I've been suggesting other activities when she asks to nurse and she's been incredibly understanding. We're down to morning nursing, nap nursing, bedtime nursing and overnight nursing (we co-sleep) at this point.

But - I'm really hating that I even have to ask her to wait, etc. It's just not the way I believe nursing ought to go, but I feel like it's the only plausible solution at the moment to help us both feel comfortable.

The idea of tandem nursing scares the daylights out of me just because of the touching. I don't know if I can adequately describe DD's nursing rituals, but it was all I could do to handle nursing her - can't really imagine adding in another babe nursing as well.

We'll take it day by day and see how things go. I plan to continue to nurse as long as I can and hopefully it will coincide with her need to nurse as well.
#9 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Your milk will, almost definitely, dry up quite a bit regardless of what you eat. It's a hormonal reaction. Of course if you keep nursing there will always be SOME milk and it is perfectly possible to keep on trucking and keep nursing. I'm still nursing my 4 year old and 2 1/2 year olds! You can expect for it to decrease, especially through the second trimester, but there will still be some milk, just not as much as before.

Loads of us persevere on through and encourage our children to keep going since it will pick right back up after birth!
#10 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The pain has actually eased a bit in the last week or so, but she's a very tactile child and likes to rub on my arms while she nurses. That's actually the part that is driving me up a wall! She also wiggles a lot and squirms and tends to kick me in the belly - all really unintentional but part of her very high spirited nature.
Holy smokes, that would drive me nuts pregnant or not.

#11 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 01:11 PM

My 21 month old ds is still nursing numerous times a day. When I got pg with him my dd was nursing, but only 2-3 times a day at over 3 years old. Through that pg she slowed down drastically and weaned around the time she was 4.5 years old. She only nursed a few times after ds was born and they were often weeks apart. I feel very strongly about nursing until at least age 2 and clw. Especially as my children have allergies that preclude some foods. While I was pg with ds my milk changed to colustrum pretty early on, still in the first trimester. I'm hoping that was related to my dehydration and I can keep my milk supply up longer this time around. No matter when my milk changes or dries up ds will be allowed to continue bfing as long as he is interested.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#12 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 PM

Perhaps you new additions would like to add yourselves to our nursing mothers roll call thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=723548

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#13 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yet another thing that stinks about being due at the end of the month, you miss entire threads!!!!! Thanks!!!

#14 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 02:51 PM

im 6wd2 and my limk is already becoming less and less my dd is 23 months but i want her to continue to nurse until she decides shes done.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#15 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Well, you could look at it this way: it IS child-led weaning, it's just your older child being led by your younger child. ;-)
#16 of 17 Old 08-25-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Well, you could look at it this way: it IS child-led weaning, it's just your older child being led by your younger child. ;-)
You made me laugh out loud with that one!
#17 of 17 Old 09-10-2007, 11:14 AM

My son is going to be 32 months old. I am still nursing him. He loves to play with both boobs and I am constantly tell him don't squeeze, just put your hand on top and hold on to the one not being nursed.

He understands gentle and I love still nursing him. It actually helps my All DAY sickness.

I know that eating oatmeal, drinking mother's milk tea will help increase your milk supply. I have not had a reduction yet and keeping my fingers that I don't. I seriously want to do nurse both, especially when the new baby is born and my milk comes in, Z can help me from the pain of over engorgement.

Lyn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page