Giving up (or cutting down on) Caffeine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 08-25-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else forsaking (or limiting) the sweet sweet kick of caffeine for the baby's sake?

I'm trying. I'm really trying. I keep hoping I'll be one of those women who just can't even stand the smell of coffee... but no luck thus far. I still want my morning mug.

I'm tense and high-stress enough as is. My kid doesn't need the additional buzz... but oh how I likes me some coffee...

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#2 of 31 Old 08-25-2007, 10:53 PM

I'm not a caffeine person at all, but I've been so tired lately that I keep thinking a shot of Dr. Pepper might do me some good.
#3 of 31 Old 08-25-2007, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

DH got a can of Coke at the store today, and I was drooling over it. I don't even like Coke!

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#4 of 31 Old 08-25-2007, 11:21 PM

I'm trying to limit coffee to only twice a week and soda once, if that. I try to go decaf tho when I do get coffee, tho I admit sometimes I forget

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#5 of 31 Old 08-25-2007, 11:28 PM

I am going to be the bad influence here. I have no problem staying out of my hot tub. I can stay away from lunch meat, alcohol, soft cheeses, ect. But my 1 cup in the morning is just so so good. I did everything right my last pregnancy and I lost that baby, so I just figure there is a lot here that is out of our hands. This is the first time I've done the caffine/preggo thing and I've noticed it also keeps me from feeling like a martyr too. I've actually remember reading in the hand-out from my MD 'not to drink more than 5 cups a day' GASP! So my little cup is just just my little guilty pleasure. (I guess I'm no help here)
#6 of 31 Old 08-25-2007, 11:30 PM

Hey, christinespurlock, we are due on the same day I admit, I had coffee and coke tonight with yummy pizza

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#7 of 31 Old 08-25-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm mostly trying to stay away since I'm pretty high-strung to start with. My best friend is pregnant with her second, and is drinking coffee this time around. She said she felt like too much of a martyr with her first, too.

I really should start meditating again. I've been doing a 'You are wanted, you are welcome,' internal mantra-speak to the little not-even-a-peanut of a baby, and it's been very calming. I just feel bad that the kid has to live in such a high-stress environment.

#8 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 12:09 AM

Kicking caffeine was the best thing I ever did
All I had to do was really look into what was in soda, and I kicked myself off. Heh. I only crave soda maybe once every two months, I buy ONE can if I crave it long enough and sometimes finish it, but I usually get orange or root beer or something without caffeine.
#9 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I gave up caffeine years ago when I was having some anxiety issues, and now I don't like the jittery buzz it gives me when I forget to order decaf coffee. But I do need my cup of decaf coffee or tea in the mornings -- it's just the ritual of it that I like.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#10 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 01:21 AM

No problem with soda, but coffee... I love it. The smell was getting to me, but that seems to be gone now. I'm ordering decaf mochas now when I get the urge. Like a pp said, I've really come to notice, and dislike, how jittery it makes me. With anxiety issues as well, I can do without that.
#11 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Hey, christinespurlock, we are due on the same day I admit, I had coffee and coke tonight with yummy pizza
Your post made us decide to get pizza. We canceled our fancy dinner plans for pizza. (felt bad that ds is at babysitter while we were sitting at home-but we just needed to relax)
#12 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 01:27 AM

I really should start meditating again. I've been doing a 'You are wanted, you are welcome,' internal mantra-speak to the little not-even-a-peanut of a baby, and it's been very calming. I just feel bad that the kid has to live in such a high-stress environment. [/QUOTE]

I love your mantra. I don't know if it's a mantra but my doula always tells us to ask 'how am I right now'. Much about pregnancy is worry and what could happen. I find it pretty calming. Sorry about the high-stress environment. Maybe some of that will shift before baby arrives.
#13 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 03:28 AM

I have an irrational hatred of caffeine. I was never a big consumer, but my 2 1/2 year old was EXTREMELY intolerant as an infant. It caused reflux so bad he would just scream for days with one coke. I couldn't eat a single chocolate chip without paying for it later. I can now consume chocolate again in moderate amounts, but I have stuck with the no caffeine otherwise.

It's a nasty addictive substance, one of the most addictive substances on the planet. I can't find a single positive thing about it, I consider it to be mild speed. It's not good for anybody, especially a developing baby.

I'm glad so many people will be cutting it down.
#14 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 03:35 AM

Well, my body can't handle much caffiene. I have to stick to no more than one "dose" a day or I get anxiety attacks.

Now that I'm pregnant, I've found that (this time... didn't happen last time!) coffee, specifically, makes me feel quite ill. But tea is fine.

Trouble is, tea has about half the caffiene of coffee... so I need to bring my tolerance down! I had no caffiene on Thursday, Friday, or today, and I'm hoping to get through tomorrow caffiene-free also, so that one cup of tea on Monday morning will make me functional at work. (My body doesn't cope well with 8 a.m.)

So count me in with trying to reduce or eliminate caffeine, but only because the bean won't tolerate coffee!
#15 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 09:23 AM

I'm trying to limit it, too, but it's so hard for me. There are so many things that you have to give up. I limited my caffeine intake with my previous two pregnancies and this time, I would like to wipe it out almost completely, but it IS very addictive and something that is very hard to do!
#16 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinespurlock View Post
Your post made us decide to get pizza. We canceled our fancy dinner plans for pizza. (felt bad that ds is at babysitter while we were sitting at home-but we just needed to relax)
Oh i hope it was yummy!!! We have tons leftover so I am looking forward to it for lunch too

#17 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 10:53 AM

I'm prone to anxiety as well so I have gone to nil on the caffiene. Though every now and again coffee sounds really good.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#18 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 11:00 AM

I'm pretty low-caffeine anyway, so it's fairly easy to kick it during pregnancy. What's harder for me, though, is cutting out the artificial sweetners. That means no diet sodas!
#19 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 11:02 AM

I drank coffee like a fiend while pregnant, and continue to do so while bf. I think I actually some days increased the amount of coffee I sucked down. I even added some Dr. Pepper in there that I didn't drink before. They say coffee makes for a smaller, crankier kid, but honestly, not like I'm touting being a coffee-tweaker, but my kid is the calmest little thing, and off the charts for growth. huh, I sometimes wonder if it was the very calm (as a result of mom's love affair with the bean) atmosphere prenatally that helped create this chilled out kid, but who knows. I think there are an awful lot of things we can beat ourselves up for while making a kid, but as long as we stay happy while doing so, we can keep on with our perfectionism.
#20 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
I drank coffee like a fiend while pregnant, and continue to do so while bf. I think I actually some days increased the amount of coffee I sucked down. I even added some Dr. Pepper in there that I didn't drink before. They say coffee makes for a smaller, crankier kid, but honestly, not like I'm touting being a coffee-tweaker, but my kid is the calmest little thing, and off the charts for growth. huh, I sometimes wonder if it was the very calm (as a result of mom's love affair with the bean) atmosphere prenatally that helped create this chilled out kid, but who knows. I think there are an awful lot of things we can beat ourselves up for while making a kid, but as long as we stay happy while doing so, we can keep on with our perfectionism.
: My two year old is the sweetest little guy too. I know most of that is just his spirt, though I love taking some credit.
#21 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 PM

I've been weaning myself off of my morning cup by gradually upping the amount of milk I add to my cup. I'm at about half milk and half coffee. The extra milk also helps cushion the blow to my stomach. Time will tell if I'm actually able to kick the java habit.
#22 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 PM

I'm only a "social drinker" when it comes to coffee. And I don't usually drink soda so those aren't hard to avoid. My downfall is dark chocolate. I'm really trying to be good though.

My dh drinks tons of soda and I have to admit that sometimes in the late afternoon I have been eye-ing his coke. I think it's because I'm so tired the "kick" sounds good. Does anyone have any tips on getting energy levels back up quick (that doesn't involve something we aren't supposed to be eating/drinking?)
#23 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 05:28 PM

HI with my dd I gave up the half a pot to 2.5 cups. This one I only make dh a little extra in the morning so I lucky if I get 1/2 cup. Just enough.

In the first few weeks after I found out I gave it up totally but was dragging thru the day and grumpy. So now I only have a little. Some mornings I don't drink any it just doesn't look good all mornings.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#24 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverside knitter View Post
I've been weaning myself off of my morning cup by gradually upping the amount of milk I add to my cup. I'm at about half milk and half coffee. The extra milk also helps cushion the blow to my stomach. Time will tell if I'm actually able to kick the java habit.
Ooh, good idea. I like my morning coffee (I'm a routine-lover) as a kind of ritual... having a mostly-milk coffee might be a good compromise.

#25 of 31 Old 08-26-2007, 10:30 PM

totally off caffeine here...just took a nasty headache the week after I got a postive to stop...Now I am doing good...
#26 of 31 Old 08-27-2007, 11:49 AM

Before I got pregnant, I thought this was going to be a HUGE problem. My DH is actually the barista in a cafe TWO blocks from our house for god's sake!!! The truth is right now I can't even stand the smell. Maybe I will go back to my daily soy latte in the second tri but for now I am caffeine free, and not by choice. GRRRR.
#27 of 31 Old 08-27-2007, 12:11 PM

I have a huge problem with iced tea this pregnancy...I've been mixing it with lemonade so as to get half the amount of caffine, but I could seriously swim in a sea of it with my mouth open!

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
#28 of 31 Old 08-27-2007, 06:15 PM

You can buy decaf tea bags and make it sweet and iced!
#29 of 31 Old 08-27-2007, 06:34 PM

drink 2-3 cups of coffee for the day, that would be it, maybe a cup of green or black tea in the afternoon if i was up late for some reason. but now, i am hard pressed to drink ONE cup of coffee in the morning, however, i am not a pop drinker and i now sip a coke thru the day for help with nausea and with the migraines I am prone to, so i only still average like the same amount of caffeine per day.
#30 of 31 Old 08-27-2007, 09:44 PM

I gave up coffee cold turkey with my first which was REALLY hard because I was a barista! But I swear its harder this time. I quit drinking Dr Pepper and its my very favorite. But I have a bad cold so I cant taste anything, which I'm sure helps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page