What books are you reading? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What books are you reading? Pregnancy? fiction? nonfiction? poetry?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#2 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 02:54 PM

I just finished "The Secret Life of the Unborn Child" by Thomas Verny. I highly recommend it!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 PM

I pulled out some of my pregnancy stuff but I havne't gotten really into anything yet.

I'm looking at "Birth Your Way" by Sheila Kitzinger for questions to ask the midwife next Monday.

I also just checked out Immaculate Deception II for a refresh of why I want to birth at home and to boost my confidence.

I've lent out my copy of Spiritual Midwifery or I'd be looking through that.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#4 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 03:36 PM

I read "Birthing From Within" the other day, but from now until December's break, it will be mostly textbooks.
#5 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 05:07 PM

I just finished A Good Birth A Safe Birth by Diana Korte & Roberta Scaer. The hb midwife I was going to see recommended it to try and convince my dh to have a hb. Didn't work. But good info in any case for all births.

The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm also was a wonderful read.

Others I have been looking at are Wise Women Herbal for the Childbearing Year by Susan Weed & Healing Yourself during Pregnancy by Joy Gardener.

I love to read after my dd goes to bed so thats why so many.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#6 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 05:44 PM

I'm currently reading Misconceptions.

Next will be Ina May, and then maybe some Dr. Sears.
#7 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 05:45 PM

Last week, I read the first chapter of "The Boxcar Children," "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," and some extraordinary first grade student writing.

Oh, you mean for PLEASURE. Nothin'. I'm waiting on my amazon.com order.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#8 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntArty View Post
I'm currently reading Misconceptions.
That's a good one. One of the few I bought. I'll probably pick it up again sometime soon.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#9 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm re-reading His Dark Materials right now and then Allison Croggon's new book The Crow comes out next month, so that is next on my list. I'm kinda in a youth/fantasy kick right now. I blame Harry Potter. I'm going to read Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy after that.

For pregnancy, I have been flipping through Birthing From Within and I hope to pick up Spiritual Midwifery and some other homebirth related books next month.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#10 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 PM

I'm reading Birthing From Within for pregnancy and Parenting Beyond Belief for general parenting. We're also re-reading the entire Harry Potter series from beginning to end. ;-)
#11 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 12:04 AM

Adventures in Tandem Nursing
I am finding it very helpful.
#12 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 AM

Right now, I'm just reading holiday crafting books. But this summer, I read the 7th Harry Potter; Animal, Vegetable, Mircle; part of The Omnivore's Dilemma; and a big stack of canning books.
#13 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 03:17 AM

Pregnancy books-Your Pregnancy Week by Week and the Sears pregnancy book.

For fun, I've actually killed my supply and need to head to the library or bookstore soon to see what I can get my hands on. There's new Meg Cabot and new Meg Mcafferty out, so we'll see. Then again I wanted to check out the story time for babies at our library branch, so perhaps a library trip is in order.

I'm hoping to borrow my sister in law's copy of "Husband Coached Childbirth" for my DH, too.
#14 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 AM

I'm reading a few right now. I have on my nightstand:

- Birthing from Within

- Heart and Hands

- Unassisted Childbirth
#15 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Lamb by Christopher Moore, and now I'm reading The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks
#16 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I just finished The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and really loved it -- it's a fascinating memoir.

Last night I started And She Was by Cindy Dyson -- I haven't read enough to form much of an opinion, but it seems interesting -- it's about a woman who moves to Alaska to be with her boyfriend, and that story goes back and forth with that of a group of Aleut women who lived there 200 years ago.

In bits and pieces, I'm also reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, which I just love and have been slowly getting through over the past few months in between novels.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#17 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM

limabean, I saw the glass castle at the library... they were doing a book discussion on it I never joined. I think I'll check it out.
Dh feels ignored when I read after the kids go to bed (even though he's usually engrossed with the discovery or science channel that is on) so I usually don't.

Lately I've been picking away (slowly) at Childbirth without Fear by Grantly Dick Read. Of all the birthing books I've read this one explains why birth should be painless and empowering in a way none of the others quite do. It was written in the 40's and went out of print but is now back in print. I highly recommend it (got mine at a thrift store for $2)... actually I was going to say that thrift stores generally tend to have some pretty good birthing books at an extra affordable price. YOu just have to know what you are looking for.
#18 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 01:59 PM

That's true of books and thrift stores in general. Every year, before the start of school, I go to Goodwill with $30, and buy children's books for my classroom.

When I was a kid, we got free books from our neighbor who worked at the local publisher (printing facility). They were the not-quite-good-enough-to-be-sold books (although we could never find any flaws), and had "reject" stamped inside the front cover. I always wondered what that did for my self esteem.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#19 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 PM

I devour books. I just read 'I hope they serve beer in hell' by tucker max, now working on 'baby catcher' by peggy vincent and also 'the paranoids guide to mental illnesses you can just feel coming on'. I have about 3 other midwifery books on order, and I'll re-read 'the mists of avalon' a few books on ceremonial magick...all in the next month, lol! I can't read enough!

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#20 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Right now, I'm just reading holiday crafting books. But this summer, I read the 7th Harry Potter; Animal, Vegetable, Mircle; part of The Omnivore's Dilemma; and a big stack of canning books.
The Omnivore's Dilemma was in my amazon.com cart (I keep stuff in my cart forever, then make a purchase when I have a few things), but got kicked out to make room for all the pregnancy books. It's still on my list, though.

#21 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM

I've been reading the Alex Cross series by James Patterson. But, I'm finding that suspense novels before bedtime aren't working out well for me.

I just scanned the ACOG pregnancy and birth book that a friend loaned to me. Ugh! What a horrible book. Don't recommend it.

I gotta get to the library and pick up something different to read.
#22 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
The Omnivore's Dilemma was in my amazon.com cart (I keep stuff in my cart forever, then make a purchase when I have a few things), but got kicked out to make room for all the pregnancy books. It's still on my list, though.
The Omnivore's Dilemma is a long, detailed read. The information is very good, but I was only able to make it through about 1/3 of the book before it was due back at the library, and I couldn't renew it because there was a waiting list. However, I did skim the rest of the book and read pieces here and there.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is a much quicker read, and IMO more enjoyable, kind of like a fluffier version of The Omnivore's Dilemma. The recipes in it were amazing, and you can get them at the website.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page