Better Out Than In: Aug 27-Sept 2 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Did 30 min run/jog today. tomorrow I finally get to go grocery shopping and stock up on some goods snacks n stuff. we are heading to my parent's house in upstate new york for the holiday weekend, so I look forward to my dad's cooking ^_^

Plus they have a recline bike! I love those.
I have a question for you. I've been running since March. Well, I had extended visitors over the summer, and it totally messed with my groove!!! In mid-July, I completely stopped running. I was lucky to get walking in. I am 5 weeks pregnant. Do you think it would be safe to resume jogging or should I keep it @ a brisk walk? Thanks in advance! : )
#32 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I do too! I always do the treadmill and then the recumbent bike at the gym -- I'll be sad when my belly gets too big to pedal while sitting in that position!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#33 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 PM

In the traditional foods forum, raw milk/cream homemade ice cream is a health food. You just have to know how to make it healthy.

I've been walking a lot but I can't wait for it to cool off here. It is so dang hot.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#34 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJ2005 View Post
I have a question for you. I've been running since March. Well, I had extended visitors over the summer, and it totally messed with my groove!!! In mid-July, I completely stopped running. I was lucky to get walking in. I am 5 weeks pregnant. Do you think it would be safe to resume jogging or should I keep it @ a brisk walk? Thanks in advance! : )
I think it is all going to depend on how your body takes it. I would start with brisk walk and jogging mixed and then work more jogging in. This is what my doctor had me do with my last pregnancy. While he said that most literature and doctors will tell you not to start something new, if you have been an on and off exerciser for a while and are healthy that you can still up your exercise but to do it a bit more slowly to make sure your body can handle it.

In the last exercise thread for last week there was a link posted to a great site about exercise and pregnancy. I would also double check that. I'll see if I can pull it up and repost it for you!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#35 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 10:20 PM

here's the site:

http://www.befitmom.com/

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#36 of 44 Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did 30 min run/jog today. tomorrow I finally get to go grocery shopping and stock up on some goods snacks n stuff. we are heading to my parent's house in upstate new york for the holiday weekend, so I look forward to my dad's cooking ^_^

Wow, Carrie, I'm amazed! I feel so achy and ill that I can barely make it through the day. And there's almost no food that gets me excited right now (just lots that makes me very unexcited ).

I know that getting out and moving around often helps when you're feeling blech, but I wonder if that applies to m/s too. I'll be so glad when this phase ends (I've got another 4 weeks or so).
#37 of 44 Old 08-31-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I think it is all going to depend on how your body takes it. I would start with brisk walk and jogging mixed and then work more jogging in. This is what my doctor had me do with my last pregnancy. While he said that most literature and doctors will tell you not to start something new, if you have been an on and off exerciser for a while and are healthy that you can still up your exercise but to do it a bit more slowly to make sure your body can handle it.

In the last exercise thread for last week there was a link posted to a great site about exercise and pregnancy. I would also double check that. I'll see if I can pull it up and repost it for you!
So, I put myself to the test today! I jogged half of what I normally do (1.5 miles), and then briskly walked the rest (1.5 miles). I am amazed at what the body is capable of. It had been well over a month since I'd done any jogging. Anyway, thanks for the info! I appreciate it! : )
#38 of 44 Old 09-01-2007, 06:17 PM

I forced myself to the gym this morning and rode a stationary bike for 25 minutes - blech. I felt so nauseated and gross the entire time.
#39 of 44 Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 PM

The gym is calling me.

OK, it's not a gym so much as a wooden shack off the back of the school containing a treadmill, a REALLY old stationary bike, and some weights. But the treadmill is nice, since trying to go for a walk around the village usually results in me having a horde of students following me around. At least in the shack I can put on some music and be student-free for a while.

Of course, it's not heated, so once it gets cold, I have to take a space heater out an hour before I want to work out to heat up the building to the point where the treadmill won't slip off its track. But until it drops below 20 degrees (we've got a little while yet!), I'm in like Flynn.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#40 of 44 Old 09-01-2007, 07:24 PM

takasmom- To make it prenatal, just means the asanas are modified and selected for pregnant bellies. This class is done by a restorative teacher, so it was super relaxing and low key, which is just what I needed. There were no other women in their first trimester. I think the earliest was 17 weeks besides me, and the teacher may not have even been sure that I was pg b/c she didn't ask. You don't need to go to prenatal yoga until you're showing or feel like you shouldn't be laying on your tummy so some women don't, but my personal opinion is that you never be shy about going if thats the class you want to go to. Of course, you could go to regular classes all the way through and make the proper modifications if you want to do that too.

I've been doing really well this week. I'm still finding that the I've-only-got-until-the-end-of-the-first-trimester-to-increase-my-fitness-level thing is really working for motivation. Even when I feel awful, I've been dragging myself outside to get some exercise. So far, I've done at least something every day this week.

Today I really over-did it though. I'm visiting my dad in FL, and he lives right on the ocean, so we all went for a swim today, and then hopped in the pool after. It wasn't strenuous or anything - mostly just chatting while floating around, but it knocked me out and I've had to pass on tonights Phillies game which is crummy, but I'm so tired I can't even sit through it. Oh well.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#41 of 44 Old 09-01-2007, 09:47 PM

I'm joining in. I work three days a week and I think on the days I dont' work, I will go to the gym and walk a bunch. I need to be careful with weight gain because I'm on the upper end of what my knee can handle and if I gain too much during pregnancy, I don't think I'll be able to walk much at all. I am also a vegan and need to stop eating all the JUNK vegan food and start eating more of the good stuff.

Jen D.

Messianic mama to 3 boys, C (4 yrs), E (22 mths), B (newborn)
#42 of 44 Old 09-02-2007, 10:06 AM

I am joining up here! I really need to keep myself healthy, as I gain weight very easily during pregnancy. In fact, all 3 were 'super-sized', 90lb, 60lb, and 40lbs respectively. I had lost all of it, as well as 20lbs extra after having #3, and finally made it back into the normal weight range. I would LOVE to eat healthy and keep active to stave off prego aches and pains, and hopefully avoid cramping and sciatica.

I'm eating as well as possible (morning sickness that seems to pop in through out the day), and I am staying active-ish with the kids, but no structured exercise other than a little ab work and stretching. So tired sometimes all I want to do is nap. No possiblity of a gym, but I do have stair stepping equipment, videos, hand weights, and a stability ball.

Some of my favorite things to snack on right now are:

peanut butter on toast, homemade pumpkin muffins, scrambled eggs, and dry cereal
#43 of 44 Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 AM

I walked a lot today @ outdoor flea markets, speedwalking by the fresh shrimp and fish vendors!!! YUCK! Then later after an afternoon nap, I jogged for 20 minutes. Skipped a day(Sat), but did get some walking in while shopping, prolly doesn't count though. My goal for this next week is to stay active all week long!
#44 of 44 Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

The new week's thread is here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page