Better Out Than In: Aug 27-Sept 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As in, in better shape coming out of this pregnancy than we were going into it.

From last week's thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft
I'd also love to talk diet if anyone else is up for it. The main things I need some help on are snacks.
Here are some of mine:

* peanut butter and banana (scoop of pb in spoon, bite of that then bite of banana--easy set up )
* celery sticks (no calories, good for fiber too, just wash and eat)
* halvah (this one is more desserty, but it has lots of calcium from the sesame seeds. You should be able to find it in health-food stores or specialty stores; it's a Turkish dessert)
* strawberries, plain yogurt, and all-bran cereal (my mainstay breakfast)
#2 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 04:16 AM

I'll add a few:
* apples and peanut butter
* fresh or frozen berries (easy to store) with plain whole milk yogurt and stevia
* hummus (easy to make) on bread or crackers

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#3 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Some more ideas:

* tahini (sesame butter) and crackers (lots of calcium)
* cheese and wasa crackers
* sauteed mushrooms and spinach--slice mushrooms, saute in olive oil and a smidge of butter, add spinach near end, add celery salt . . . mmmmmmm
* fruit salad--melons, fresh pineapple, mango, strawberries, . . .
#4 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 AM

I eat a lot of hard boiled eggs. They are a super food for pregnancy plus they are pretty cheap. And sometimes when I get bored I'll make deviled eggs.

Fruit with peanut butter
Almonds
tuna or chicken salad on one slice of bread folded
Yogurt

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#5 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Another food idea: I made a BLT for lunch today. Granted, bacon is not exactly health food, but surely the tomato and lettuce make up for it .
#6 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 PM

Thanks for all the snack ideas! I am going grocery shopping on friday and we have started making a cool list of new stuff to get.

Today I did martial arts, but a little scaled back. It was still a pretty good workout though.

I think I feel better running though; however, it was too dark by the time i got back and I dont really like the treadmill, although I do use it in the winter.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#7 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 10:24 PM

I did nothing today! I was literally so exhausted from the weekend that last night I went to bed at 9:30pm and woke up at 7:30am. Then DH let me take a nap at noon and I slept until 3pm! I am still tired and am headed to bed in a min, I am just more exhausted than I was last week.

I did eat pretty good though, this morning I had 1/2 of a whole wheat bagel with some peanut butter and grapes. I skipped lunch because I was asleep! but I did have some more grapes when I got up from my nap. For dinner I made chicken enchiladas for the family and I just ate the chicken out of the middle, it was really good.
#8 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can I join you guys? I was on exercise restriction my whole pregnancy last time, and have vowed to have a different experience this time -- I've been walking briskly for an hour every day, and eating healthfully (with the occasional yummy splurge).

I'm already overweight, and although obviously I have to resign myself to gaining, and am happy to do so to support my new babe, I want to make sure I'm gaining appropriately and not because I'm eating everything in sight.

To contribute to the current topic, my favorite snacks lately have been:

Apples with PB
Frozen grapes
Yogurt with granola

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#9 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Being in better shape at the end of pregnancy than I started out is definitely one of my goals. I really got my diet back in line about a month before we conceived so I feel very proud of that -- my only struggle are the weekends when all I want are fish and chips or quesadillas!

So for exercise, DH & I played super low key soccer on Sunday when I needed some real motivation for exercise. Yesterday I did some 80's aerobics in my kitchen and Tomorrow is my first prenatal yoga class so I'm psyched about that.
A really good resource for exercise right now is www.befitmom.com
And a good thing to note - she says you can only increase your level of fitness during the first trimester while the placenta is still forming. With less than 2 months left, that's my motivation for dragging myself off the couch and getting a workout.

And for snacks, I eat around 80% raw vegan so:
Gogi Berries,
Sunflower seeds
Green smoothies

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#10 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
you can only increase your level of fitness during the first trimester while the placenta is still forming.
Wow, that's good to know! Seems cruel that that also coincides with most people's worst m/s. : I guess I need to push through the pain and ramp my exercise back up again. I was going to wait until I was feeling better.
#11 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 04:45 PM

What does increasing the level of your fitness mean? And what does the placenta have to do with it? I would love to know more about this.

I'm holding steady at about 30min of workout a day if I am running, 55 if marital arts and 40 if it's a brisk walk.

I think I am going to do running today.

On the diet front, what is everyone eating for breaskfast these days?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#12 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 04:48 PM

oh wait i found the answer!:

Quote:
The size and functional capacity of the placenta—the ability to exchange oxygen and CO2, and nutrients and waste products—is set midway through pregnancy because the placenta stops growing at 20 weeks. Therefore, you should not try to increase your aerobic capacity, or start an aerobic program, in the last half of pregnancy.

If you have kept a moderate to strenuous aerobic exercise program up to this point, switch to an aerobic maintenance program during the second half of pregnancy. As your due date approaches, reduce the intensity of your workouts to counterbalance your baby’s increased need for oxygen as she grows.

If you were previously sedentary or relatively less fit, a fitness walking program will provide many of the same health benefits (though to a lesser degree) as a more

#13 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 04:50 PM

I am going to jump in here with you guys too!!! I quit smoking cold turkey the day I found out I was pregnant so I guess that goes quite a ways towards making me healthier at the end of this I have a hard time working out as I work 40+ hours a week with an hour and a half commute (round trip) but I try and walk on weekends... now a question...

We are extremely short on money, even more so since our room mate moved out while we were out of town, without paying us his share of bills for the month. What foods should I stock up on that are healthy and filling and easy to make (I am not the best cook) and store well and all that jazz???

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#14 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM

welcome!

I always have a bag of rice in the cabinet because you can do so many things with it rather fast. Tonight I am making a rice dish with tomatoes, chicken broth, onion and chicken pieces.

I also find bananas to be a very filling fruit- esp when you put toppings on them as some people have mentioned in this thread.

Granola is great to have around- you can mix it with yogurt or eat it as cereal.

oatmeal is also a great mixer and fast but healthy meal.

#15 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 PM

okay, I'm back.
Really need to get my behind in gear!!!!
I got some exercises from the midwife that I need to do to help close the fingerwidth separation in my abs... but it's Tuesday and I still haven't done anything exercise wise this week... ahem.
Dh has been telling me to go ahead and start running again but I don't think I want to. I have the tendency to a low and pendulous belly during the last tri and I'm already bulging out quite a bit.
So my exercise regimen plan is to:

-brisk walk for at least a 1/2 hour each morning (that means I need to drag dh and the kids out of bed, have a bfast snack ready for the kids before 7am everyday) I'm too afraid to go walking by myself, I get dizzy spells sometimes from low bp in the morning.

-increase my squat and lunge exercises by 2 each day (or every other day if my muscles need to recover.. I seriously have weak legs and a flabby bottom) until I'm doing about 50 squats a day and at least 25 lunges on each leg

- I have a couple more to add but I'll edit and add them later because I need to go
#16 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 PM

Did 1/2 hour on the exercise bike this morning and wanted to walk this afternoon but I think it's going to be to hot. I might try to get on the exercise bike again this evening after I put the kids to bed.

My favorite snacks have got to be organic nuts and dried fruit. I was able to order from the Tierra Farms Co-op a couple of months ago and we are all out now, I cannot wait for the next co-op to come up so I can order some more. The organic sea salted cashews are TDF!! And the dried pineapple and mangos, OMG so good!
#17 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
-increase my squat and lunge exercises by 2 each day (or every other day if my muscles need to recover.. I seriously have weak legs and a flabby bottom) until I'm doing about 50 squats a day and at least 25 lunges on each leg
I like this one -- I'll take on that challenge, too! When DH gets home I'm going to the gym to walk on the treadmill (it's way too hot outside today to exercise out there), then when I get home I'll see how many squats/lunges I can do and start with that as my base. Good idea!

#18 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 PM

YAY I walked last night even though I was exhausted.. I also walked yesterday AM with my 3yo just around the block to kill time before preschool started.

I ate popcorn for a snack today.. not very healthy but it wasnt a whole bag of M&Ms like I really wanted... so that counts for something, right? LOL

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#19 of 44 Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 PM

I love the squat/lunge idea! i will start tonight!

I also did a 30 min run. Now I'm feeling kinda bleh though...

#20 of 44 Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 AM

I definitely need to join this group! We have a gym membership and I am sooooooooooooo not motivated to go lately. I can't wait for non-oven temperatures to get here so I can go for long walks again. DD likes it too.

Favorite healthy snacks......
apples
homemade granola bars
homemade whole grain muffins
almonds
carrots/hummus
grape tomatoes
#21 of 44 Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 AM

i am SOOO not feeling like food or exercise or even getting out of bed right now!!! but i am forcing myself to come to this thread anyway ...i hope it will motivate me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
and Tomorrow is my first prenatal yoga class so I'm psyched about that.
that's SO cool!! somehow i feel too self-conscious about joining a prenatal class already. (this is dumb i know. i *AM* pregnant after all...) what makes it prenatal?? are there other first trimester mamas there?
#22 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 12:55 PM

Bumping because I really need this thread!!

I walked for 30 minutes last night, and pulled weeds for about 20 this morning (yes, that counts as excercise!!!)

I need some help on the snacking/eating front though. I did have a hard boiled egg this morning - I really like that suggestion. I've also been doing green pepper strips dipped in hummus. And I need to cut out the apple jacks and start eating oatmeal with ground flax seeds for breakfast. I used to do that all the time, but quit over the summer (too hot!!)

My HUGE weakness is the bowl of ice cream before bed. I don't think I can completely cut that out, but I need to find something better to substitute it with. Non-fat frozen yogurt? Does anyone know if that stuff is loaded with artificial sweeteners and other bad crap? Or have a better suggestion?
#23 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

I've been biking the kids to school 2x a day (DH does the other two), plus biking to the grocery store. All told, good for about 15 minutes of exercise.

I have been terrible about my Kegels and ab exercises. Ditto arm weights. Double ditto more walking / biking.

Eating has been ok, mostly healthy, but today I broke down and bought some yogurt candies I love. On the upside, I did not eat the entire bag (which I usually do). I ate about a third.

I cannot wait for the next four weeks to pass and this m/s to wane. Seems like it's getting a wee bit stronger, though.
#24 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleflair View Post
My HUGE weakness is the bowl of ice cream before bed. I don't think I can completely cut that out, but I need to find something better to substitute it with. Non-fat frozen yogurt? Does anyone know if that stuff is loaded with artificial sweeteners and other bad crap? Or have a better suggestion?
I am also an ice cream junkie. Could easily eat a pint per night.

I find that if I eat a bit of very dark, high quality chocolate, it's easier to skip my ice cream. There's a dairy product here in the Netherlands called vla. It's a bit like pudding and I've been eating that as an ice cream substitute as well. Finally, for a totally healthy option, try frozen berries (I like to use raspberries) with whole plain yogurt and several drops of stevia liquid, all mixed up. If you like fruit ice creams (I like them, but gravitate toward chocolate instead), I think you will find this quite satisfying.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#25 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 02:26 PM

I went to the gym yesterday (too hot to exercise outside). I did 20 minutes walking on the "alpine hike" setting on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the "random hill" setting on the bike, then 30 squats and 30 lunges (15 per leg).

For breakfast yesterday, I had a pear, a scrambled egg, and half a waffle. For lunch I had half a chicken salad sandwich and a bowl of broccoli-rice soup (soooo good and doesn't have any cream in it -- my friend gave me the recipe after I raved over hers). For dinner I had a chicken enchilada and salad. Then I had a small bowl of cherry ice cream for dessert.

Chicken is definitely my craving this time around -- I have to have it every day! Yesterday as I was picking and shredding the meat for enchiladas, I couldn't stand it and had to shove the drumstick in my mouth, and the same thing happened last week when I was making enchiladas!

#26 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 03:03 PM

I didn't read the first thread yet.

Is anyone else trying to follow the Brewer Diet? It is hard for me because I feel like it is a huge amount of food for me to consume every day. I did good for two days and then could only manage about half the recommended foods yesterday. I'll try to do better today.

What I do like about it is that when I am feeling the need to eat, it reminds me to eat well and balance what I am eating. I have been buying corn tortillas instead of flour, and whole wheat pita bread instead of regular. I'm paying attention to adding beans and lentils to my diet, getting more leafy green veggies and not just snacking on fruit, brown rice instead of white rice, baked potatoes instead of chips. My sister is hating it. Dh is losing weight. I on the other hand seem to be growing really fast, and I'm afraid I'll be fully showing in another month. Eep!

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#27 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 PM

By the way, the Brewer Diet says ice cream is very good for when you're pregnant. I don't think anyone should feel guilty for eating it. Just try to stay balanced.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#28 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 03:08 PM

I actually found a yoga place near me that does prenatal yoga classes!! I am going to try and go once or twice a week... it will be easier once I don't feel like barfing all the time... plus, once we move to Tacoma in December the yoga place won't be half an hour away which will be good..

My eating has been horrendous, we are totally broke so until my mom takes me grocery shopping this weekend we have a very limited selection of food. The all day sickness is still totally here too... so I have been eating what I crave, I figure eating something is better then eating nothing.. right?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#29 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM

I'm joining this thread... but healthy living will wait until I've recovered from strep throat. Right now, staying awake is enough exercise. I'm trying to make it until noon so I only have to take a half day of sick leave.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#30 of 44 Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 PM

Did 30 min run/jog today. tomorrow I finally get to go grocery shopping and stock up on some goods snacks n stuff. we are heading to my parent's house in upstate new york for the holiday weekend, so I look forward to my dad's cooking ^_^

Plus they have a recline bike! I love those.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page