Pregnant pee donation for infertility drugs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-27-2007, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was pregnant with DD we lived in the States but DH had a Dutch pregnancy book. In it, they talked about how you could donate your pee so that a hormone in it could be isolated and used to help those with fertility troubles. I thought it sounded cool, but wasn't aware of this being done in the US.

This time we're in the Netherlands so I called the place and the lady is coming over to do a pregnancy test on me today and tell me about it and get me started. As I currently understand it, they will give me special cups with some sort of preservative in them and I will collect as much of my pee in them as I can manage until about 15 weeks. They will come to my house to collect the cups and give me more every week.

It sounds like a nice altruistic thing to do. However, I am generally down on pharmaceutical companies, so I'm afraid that if I looked into this I might start feeling less positive. Anyone know anything about schemes like this?

For my fellow Dutchies, the site is www.moedersvoormoeders.nl.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-27-2007, 10:23 AM

Very neat. I think they use horse pee around here.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#3 of 6 Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

I met with the woman this morning. It seems cool. You collect all your pee in these jugs that they deliver to you. The period of donation lasts for about 10 weeks. Apparently, The Netherlands is the only country where they do this, so the HCG that they collect is sent all around the world.

sadiejane, you should join in! I don't know if they do it in Belgium for Gabry.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#4 of 6 Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 PM

Ugh, I dont know if this is being used for the same thing, but premarin (isn't it an estrogen supplement?) is really not a great thing. They take all these grade mares, stick them in stalls with an apparatus around their hoo-ha (cant move), and breed them over and over to produce massive amounts of illbred sent-to-slaughter foals (and, they also make it synthetically, so it goes on to no point but $$$). Theres one farm that cycles out their mares and breeds quality foals for sale, but it's still an ucky business altogether. So, if they can use human pee for the same sorts of drugs, I'm all for it.
#5 of 6 Old 08-27-2007, 02:42 PM

I agree... premarin is nasty stuff.

Of course, Europe is usually a lot more, uh, what's the word, environmentally/humanely/holistically responsible than the US.
#6 of 6 Old 08-27-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

I have no idea if it's the same thing, but if it is, then I'm pleased to be providing alternative pee. But this is totally what I meant about concern over it being a pharmaceutical product. I will be bummed if I find out that what I've been doing isn't cool. This has been around since the 30s, though, which (perhaps stupidly) makes it seem less likely to be bad.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page