Anyone decline having a PAP? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have my appt. in about an hour and don't want a pap. What were your reasons for not getting one?

caffix.gif wife to DH kewl.gif and mama to Kaden notes2.gif 1/1/06 and Jagger babyboy.gif 4/21/12

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#2 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM

I have a weak cervix so I opted out...but you can just say no...as the other ladies told mme its your right..Wait a minute are you going on base???? The you may not have a choice..although you can opt out of some of the tests..I think when I had my kids on base I had to have a pap
#3 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah... I'm on base and praying they give me an authorization letter for a birth center. Doubt it, but I'm going to try. I hope they take no for an answer and leave it at that.

caffix.gif wife to DH kewl.gif and mama to Kaden notes2.gif 1/1/06 and Jagger babyboy.gif 4/21/12

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#4 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:11 AM

I'm declining, I had a PAP just a few months ago anyway so I don't see the need for having it again
#5 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Good luck here when we were in the wouldn't...Dh got out two years ago to go into the national guard so we have civilian insurance and tricare they pay for my midwife and doctor...

****Random thought but you could tell them that you prefer to wait to later to do that....that you feel its to invasive for a beginning pregnancy test***
#6 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:29 AM

I have had too many losses and feel too crappy already for anyone to be messing with my cervix right now, lol. I am just going to tell them I am waiting until my PP appt to get it done... from my understanding if they find anything there isnt much they can do to treat you until after birth anyway..

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#7 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3babes View Post
I have had too many losses and feel too crappy already for anyone to be messing with my cervix right now, lol. I am just going to tell them I am waiting until my PP appt to get it done... from my understanding if they find anything there isnt much they can do to treat you until after birth anyway..
: me too.
#8 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:33 AM

I just had one three months before conception when I got my IUD out, so there's no reason to get one now. For that reason I probably won't get one (though I think that they ask you when your last pap was, and if it was within the last year, they don't offer you one, where I'm going).
#9 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 AM

I'm going to my first appointment today and I'm not getting one. I want to be able to jump and run to something I can loose what ever I ate last in. I'm due for one in sept. so I'm waiting until then if not longer.
#10 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM

I declined one, I just told them I didn't want it.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#11 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 02:42 PM

i had one a year ago with my old ob/gyn before we moved, and i've STILL been spotting (ok getting tired of this, been over three weeks now!) so when I go in towards the end of sept to get my new OB appointment out of the way, if i am still spotting there is no way i'll do another pap. But becuase of a family history rampant with uterine cancer and the fact my mom had it and had had her hysterectomy at 35 (and i'm 34) it is NOT something i screw around with. I go yearly.

Thursday this week I have my nurse educator, prenatal test options appointment.
#12 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM

I actually had scheduled my annual, and then discovered that I was going to ovulate at around the same time, so I canceled the appointment. I haven't had one since last year, and because I've had one abnormal one in the past, I do make sure to go. I'm hoping that we can postpone until after week 12...I think spotting before then would be overwhelming and freak me out a bit too much, but I haven't discussed it yet-we'll see what happens at my next appointment. They seem to be good about respecting stuff like that, so, since there's really nothing they'll do right now if it does come back abnormal, waiting a couple of extra weeks shouldn't be a big deal.
#13 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 04:49 PM

My doctor did not do one at my first visit. Apparently they are routine, but I had just had one a few months earlier & have a history of early losses so she didn't want to chance anything.
#14 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I(though I think that they ask you when your last pap was, and if it was within the last year, they don't offer you one, where I'm going).
Pretty sure that is how my doctor works it too.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#15 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM

I'd just say no, you don't owe anyone an explanation. Good luck!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#16 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM

How did it go? Mililtary docs can be funny about what is supposed to happen...
#17 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 PM

My midwife doesn't do them as a routine thing, but I would decline in a heartbeat. I don't see a reason TO get one.
#18 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 07:09 PM

I plan to decline mine, I've had too many miscarriages to chance anything.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#19 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 PM

I went to my first OB appt today, and I declined the pap. They said that I could get it done next time, along with the G/C screen. I might decline that too. I am in major "No, thanks!" mode with everything on this pregnancy. Just leave me alone, and we'll be fine! LOL
#20 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:37 PM

I also had one 3 months prior to conception when I had my IUD removed. So I don't need another.
#21 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 PM

I declined as well, didn't feel it was necessary as I had just had one recently.
#22 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 PM

I had my yearly pap back in April so this time around I told them no thank you
#23 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmomma3 View Post
How did it go? Mililtary docs can be funny about what is supposed to happen...
Well it wasn't the day for the PAP... just to set it up. I told her I didn't want one. I told her I had one not too long ago in Cali to get birth control. She said she couldn't find anything saying I had one, so I had to get one done. Military is weird like that... you kinda have to go by what they say.

She also terrified my husband about having our baby at a birthing center. Saying she read women gave birth in the parking lot because they didn't open soon enough or answer the phone when women called to have their baby. I looked into it and I don't see any stories on the birthing center. She was nice, but she used scare tactics on everything, it worked well on my husband who's a nervous person anyway. Needless to say, birthing center is out.

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#24 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybound View Post
Well it wasn't the day for the PAP... just to set it up. I told her I didn't want one. I told her I had one not too long ago in Cali to get birth control. She said she couldn't find anything saying I had one, so I had to get one done. Military is weird like that... you kinda have to go by what they say.

She also terrified my husband about having our baby at a birthing center. Saying she read women gave birth in the parking lot because they didn't open soon enough or answer the phone when women called to have their baby. I looked into it and I don't see any stories on the birthing center. She was nice, but she used scare tactics on everything, it worked well on my husband who's a nervous person anyway. Needless to say, birthing center is out.
Sounds like a base doctor.. they always know best.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page