Your list of demands - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm finding that, now that this baby is really real, I want about a million things. And I have so many plans for how we're going to raise our child that we've never discussed before. Poor Dh is going to be blown away when I confess all.

This is my list right now:

1.) Raw Sea vegetables (i NEED them TODAY of course)
2.) Washing Machine (that's gunna be a doozie, for CD of course)
3.) Cloth diapers & fabric for making some of my own
4.) Slings/ Glider / Baby furniture
5.) Bugaboo Frog Stroller (can we say, not in this life-time? But ALL the moms here have one!!!! ::stamps feet:: )
6.) Planning on co-sleeping
7.) Planning on EC
8.) Planning a UC (we're 95% together on that)
9.) Debating UP (not going to go over very well)

I know this mostly applies to first time moms, but everyone included, what do your lists look like?

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#2 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like a good list... what is UP? I feel dumb...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#3 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 PM

yeah i dont know UP either :

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#4 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry! it's unassisted pregnancy. It can be done different ways but means you don't see a professional for prenatal care. I would do all my own weight, measurement, and testing the things I feel should be test

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#5 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM

Ok, I get it! I am way to much of a worry wart to do that... not to mention this is my first baby... but I can definitely see how it would be really nice!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#6 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 05:49 PM

ohhh gotcha

i have most of what i need from my dd but this time i decided im not goign to even have a stroller. i never used the one we had anyways so why have one?

organic ONLY clothing,cloth diapers,food, supplies(lotions bath wash etc).

if its a boy NO CIRC!

we gonna co-sleep again(with dd still in the bed as well! that will be fun!),nurse on demand and child lead weaning again(dd is still nursing, sling/mei tei/ergo again, umm i dunno. not much changes this time around.

#7 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 05:51 PM

DH is with me on all this, but my MIL is having a fit. Please hold while I connect you to the waaaaahmbulance.

I need a bigger bed, a glider, cloth diapers, and some birthing supplies. Everything parenting wise he's on the same page with me, or at least he seems to be for now. I think he will undermine me on the no-sweets-no-junk thing I want to do, and I don't think he's open minded enough for EC, but it's no biggie. He knows its been me doing all this research for the past 2+ years solid and its going to be me making these decisions, I just hope he follows along with it for the long haul.
#8 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM

I really want to get a jogging stroller in better condition that the sunburnt, holey thing we have now (we live about a block away from one of the largest undeveloped urban parks in the country...so we're on the trails a lot). By the time this baby is able to support her head enough to be in one, I will have one very capable 4 year old bike rider and one 2 1/2 year old who may or may not sit in the stroller. So I'm not sure if at this point I want a double stroller or not but I do need a jogging stroller. That way I can start running earlier this time (one on the bike and two in the stroller or two on the bike and one in the stroller). Running makes all the difference for me and I didn't at all between #1 and #2 and didn't start until about Thanksgiving after #2 (but not in earnest till about May... yeah, about 6 weeks before I got pg again!!!).

-more organic baby clothes (i don't know if we can afford to go all organic but i really want to )
-really want some baby kimono wraps
-more super soft wool yarn for longies and shorties in beautiful colorways that don't bleed and don't pill
-the energy and inspiration to sew dipes and knit an organic bamboo baby blanket
-a hotsling... a cute one... and one that fits. I have two fleece ones (one I've never even used) but this is a spring baby so maybe I'll get to trade for a print. I don't do rs or pouches past a certain point weightwise because I *know* how much strain it puts on my spine and shoulders.
-the energy and inspiration (again) to sew my own MT (I love to back carry)
#9 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Umm, I really can't think of much. I've had one spring boy and one spring girl, I have the exact same age spacing so I already have a double stroller I love, etc. Mostly my "demand" is that my 3yo go back to sleeping in HER bed (which is in our room) and quite smooshing me all night long. I'm sorry but 3 kids and 2 adults will NOT work even in a king size bed :

The only things I might like to get would be

*soft yarn to knit items like: soakers/longies, hat, blanket

*pouch sling for newborn period (after that I'll use my babyhawk )

*12 more BumGenius pocket diapers
(waiting til baby arrives to pick colors, already have 12 for ds)

*a quick and easy home waterbirth! (last time I got everything but the water )

*continue working on remodel of our house so we can move after the baby arrives

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#10 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 06:30 PM

There's not really much I need, don't need a crib because we don't plan on using one for a while and since the baby will be sharing a room with us for a while I don't really need any furniture.
I would LOVE a really good comfy chair for my bedroom for BFing but they are so expensive so I don't see that happening.

I want a few more diapers for our newborn stash and lots more for the small stash I'm starting too.
I want a new Hotsling
A few wool soakers and wool covers
Um, a bigger house!
And the biggest thing I want is for my family to actually be excited about this baby and not totally disappointed like I know they are going to be
#11 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=Organicavocado;9024613]DH is with me on all this, but my MIL is having a fit. Please hold while I connect you to the waaaaahmbulance.

OMG this struck me as So damn funny i just had to say, god thanks so much for the laugh! i needed it today!

i just got motion sickness reading to my dd as she kept flipping pages and moving the book on me. bleh

as for needs i am for sure doing the sling, not bothering with a stroller and getting a sidecar for the crib we have for the next one to attach to our bed

apart from that, anyone that thinks I am going to pump just so they can have the honors of feeding my baby JUST to do it, can bite me. lol

jen
caitlyn 2/9/04
edd 4/2/08
#12 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 PM

When my son was born I got a house cleaner to clean my home once a week. It was just suppost to be for the first year, but we couldn't let her go. Once a week is a far cry from having full time help (and less expensive), but I just love my Mondays now.

I also need an ergo. I still love my bjorn, but the ergo seems better once they get a bit bigger.
#13 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 06:57 PM

I need a co-sleeper. I know, everyone says they don't end up using them, but DH is overweight, a very heavy sleeper, and has had episodes of mild sleep apnea in the past (although since he's lost some weight, this has pretty much disappeared).

At least one wrap. The hands-free thing appeals to me.

A stroller. I have bad reactions to heat in the summer... I KNOW there are going to be times when it's 90-90 (without air conditioning) when I just won't be able to handle another little body right next to my sweaty one.

A place to live for the summer. We could just stay up at my parents' vacation place in northern WI, but might like to be closer to friends and family, in which case we have to find a place to rent for the summer that is up to our new-parent standards. No more subleasing from college students gone home for the summer. I'd LIKE to buy a place near our parents, to have to live in during the summers (since we can't buy a place here where we work), but DH is hesitant... we don't know where we'll end up after we leave AK, and don't want to be stuck selling a place a year after we've bought it. Me, I'd like to stay up here until the first kid starts school (Much as I love teaching here, I don't want my kids going to school here!), and by then hopefully have enough saved up that we can both work part-time (provided we can figure out health insurance).

Diapers, diapers, diapers. DH is hesitantly climbing aboard the CD train... I showed him price comparisons.

And there are many, many more.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#14 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM

Another uneventful pregnancy with another calm, mellow, super laid back easy going baby.

A homebirth.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#15 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
(we live about a block away from one of the largest undeveloped urban parks in the country...so we're on the trails a lot).
We live about 7/10ths of a mile from one of the largest undeveloped urban parks in the country ;-) I wonder if it's the same one? We don't do a lot of hiking, though. I'm more of a sidewalk kind of gal. I enjoy hiking if I'm with people who don't whine about it... but that's not my DH. ;-)
#16 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinespurlock View Post
When my son was born I got a house cleaner to clean my home once a week. It was just suppost to be for the first year, but we couldn't let her go. Once a week is a far cry from having full time help (and less expensive), but I just love my Mondays now.

I also need an ergo. I still love my bjorn, but the ergo seems better once they get a bit bigger.
yes plus the ergo doesn't damage a baby's spine like a bjorn,snugglie or any of those parachute style hang carrier do. we started out with a snugglie with dd until i learned this.

#17 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Oh man, I always want baby things! I love them. I want the ergo infant insert, a pouch, bamboo baby clothes and bedding (I love bamboo right now - want towels too!), maybe a new organic crib mattress (we do use the crib as a sidecar - my son hated sleeping with us, yes its true), a car seat and that's probably about it. I do use strollers quite often, my dd was a runner and until you have one you will blame others parenting skills but its not the parent its the child. So my son had to be buckled in while I chased after her and usually end up buckling in her as well. But I have what I need now. Ohhh cloth diapers! I cd'd my first and it went really well, with my second not so good and I sold them all off. I would like to try again with some of the all in ones or pocket diapers but there is so much to choose from now and its sooo overwhelming!
#18 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 PM

I have so many wants!

A pouch (I'm thinking a PIP would be nice).
A wrap
A great stroller (I hate the one I have now and they do come in handy)
Some diapers to replace the worn out ones
A digital camera (I've got the money saved-just have to buy it)
A king-size bed (can't see that happening anytime soon)
My DD to sleep in her bed all night consistently
A waterbirth at home
#19 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 PM

-an uneventful but amazing homebirth
-acceptance of our third pregnancy by our relatives
-Dh to get this North Carolina job by the end of this week so we can begin the selling/moving/relocating process
-give cloth diapering a try

Then things we have already done in the past but will do again-
-slinging
-breastfeeding
-genital integrity
-Happiest Baby on the Block (life saver for us with our DS)

Also a general happiness and enjoyment of pregnancy.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#20 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 PM

Not only do I want cloth diapers, I want someone to TELL me which ones to buy... So many choices...

I want a sling or two or three - again, so many choices...

I want my husband not to pass out during the birth. He's kind of a wuss. He admits it.

Most of all I want to learn more patience - waiting to tell people there's a baby in there is killing me, but I know I might regret it if I did let it slip...and waiting for the baby until April, well, that's a whole other issue! Patience, enjoy the quiet while it lasts, that's my new mantra...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#21 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 PM

Ok, here's some things I want... not necessarily demands, but preferences...

* A second baby monitor. Now that our son is sleeping full-time in his room, his was moved to there. I want a monitor for our bedroom (where the baby will sleep for the first year or two) and preferably I want a video monitor, so that if there's little noises I can find out what they're from without having to trek to the other end of the house.

* A nice woven wrap that isn't too long.

* Ok, I don't want it, but I may need a jogging stroller for this pregnancy... for DS. He's 35 lbs. now, and when I push the belt of the Ergo below my belly (since it makes me feel ill if it's across my waist), it feels like it's slipping down over my hips. We walk home from his school two days a week (a bit over a mile), and he never feels like walking himself.

* A new Bosom Buddy pillow. I lent mine to my cousin after she had surgery, since it seemed to work really well for her... and it got totally trashed ;-). She was going to get me a new one, but never quite felt up to it before she died. (Glad that my favorite nursing pillow was able to provide her some comfort at the end, and she remembered me well in her will, so I'm not bitter or anything.)

That's all I can think of. ;-) Now, DS may insist that the baby get a whole new potty rather than using HIS potties, and of course we may do diapering and clothing differently this time around... but those are the big things.
#22 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 PM

1. A birth pool...I think I could be fine with the $20 fishy pool but my m/w also rents one with a heater for like 10 million bucks. That would be SOOO nice I'm sure.

2. Unconditional support, defense, protection etc...for when we tell all the relatives our homebirth plans and they start freaking out and giving advice or horror stories.

3. More of the same when the baby is here and people offer their unwanted opinions on sleeping, diapering and BFing. I just want to be insulated from it.

4. Material things are always nice but we can't afford any of it so I try not to even go there...
#23 of 29 Old 08-29-2007, 08:18 AM

1. A crib that isn't fugly, isn't made in China and doesn't cost upwards of $1000.
2. Sling
3. An assortment of cloth dipes & accessories
4. A country that guarantees 1 year of paid maternity leave
5. A happy healthy baby

Those would be my top 5 "Iwannas".
#24 of 29 Old 08-29-2007, 09:50 AM

I have everything I need and then some! So my list is a list of things I want to get rid of!

1. Get rid of the crib (check)
2. Get rid of the swing (check)
3. Get rid of the changing table
4. Get rid of all the excess baby clothes
5. Get rid of all the excess baby toys
6. Get rid of my slings that I never really used. (I'm keeping my 3 favorites)
7. Get rid of all the clutter in my house so I have less to keep track of/clean when #4 gets here.
#25 of 29 Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
-the energy and inspiration (again) to sew my own MT (I love to back carry)
If you can't find the energy or inspiration we can have a talk

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#26 of 29 Old 08-29-2007, 12:13 PM

I'm already set with carriers. Several ring slings and mei tais. I have never been able to find or make a pouch that fit me well so I've given up on them. Since this is #3 most other things are cared for as well. I would love it if money issues cleared up, but that is really up in the air right now.

The one thing I would love to do is cloth diaper this one. I didn't even think about it with dd and our living situation couldn't make it work when ds was younger. It still would be a huge amount of money and effort on a weekly basis to do diapers at a laundromat so I'm not sure what is going to happen with that. There aren't even hookups here that we could buy a washer and dryer to put in if we had the money.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#27 of 29 Old 08-30-2007, 04:09 PM

1. The lowest intervention pregnancy and birth as is medically reasonable considering my circumstances. (PCOS, thyroid disorder, asthma, all at once.)

2. A healthy baby.

3. For my family to stop freaking out that I'm going to die during pregnancy/labor/delivery.

4. To not be pressured into a c section unless there's a really really good reason.

5. Energy to clean out the room that we'd like to have for baby things/baby space.

6. DH to finish cleaning out the garage so that some of the things in the baby space room can go where they belong, in the garage.

7. Something to drink that tastes good.

8. Spare cash to do some of the work we wanted to do on the house before the baby comes.

9. To find a good lactation consultant near where I live who is experienced with working with women with PCOS and thyroid disorders, and knows how to cope with the potential nursing issues that it presents.

10. Good research that tells me how long to stay on metformin through this pregnancy.
#28 of 29 Old 08-30-2007, 04:37 PM

1. A healthy pregnancy...one that continues to show me how amazing my God is everyday.
2. The ability to maintain a postive spirit despite ms, cramping, all of that
3. A good co-sleeper
4. Peace among family members
5. AT LEAST A 38 week pregnancy...
6. A baby that doesn't have to go to nicu
7.a good apeana monitor for this little one.
#29 of 29 Old 08-30-2007, 05:16 PM

OOohhh ooooh....FUN!

1. A Phil and Ted twin stroller in Orange for my 2 yr olds.

2. A Phil and Ted Sport with doubles in Orange for DD2 and Newbie.

3. To find out what sex this baby is so I can demand: bedding, clothes, other pretties.

4. A better sling than my hotsling which I wasnt overly impressed with.

5. A bigger place to live.

6. My husband to come HOME, I need him more than the stupid Marines do. lol.

Thats all for now.

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page