First appointment... blah - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went for my first prenatal appointment today at the nurse-midwife practice I used last time. It's "luck of the draw" on who you even see for your appointments, not just who delivers your baby, so I didn't know who it would be until we got in there. Some of the MWs are more... relaxed... than others, and I think I got one of the stress cases. ;-)

One reassuring thing is that she confirmed that I did get a double row of stitches after my c-section (she was able to turn around to the computer and look it up right there at the desk... yay technology). So, according to the list I've seen of factors that predict likelihood of a successful VBAC, the ONLY count I have against me is age (I'm over 30). She did say something I hadn't heard before, and I'm going to hunt around and see if I can find out where it came from: that VBACs are more likely to be successful when the original c-section was due to breech positioning, rather than due to labor just not working for whatever reason. She did say that it was a good sign that I'd gotten to 8 cm before, though, so my best chance for a VBAC is if I go into labor on my own rather than induction (yeah, duh).

I convinced them to do the free T3 and T4 in addition to the TSH, to make really sure whether or not I have thyroid issues, which was another bonus.

No HB; didn't even try to hear one because of my dates :-/. She cringed that I'm not taking prenatals... they tend to make me feel kinda ill (probably from the iron), so I'm taking a b-complex and a cal/mag/zinc supplement instead. She's worried about getting enough "trace elements." What, like tons of iron my body doesn't need? :-/ Would have loved a little more guidance on that, I guess, but oh well.

Now I feel like crap, probably because of the blood they took out of me... bah.
#2 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 PM

Are you getting at least 800mcg of folic acid? There should be some in your B complex.

Poor thing. I forget how lucky I am to have blundered into NZ where the prenatal care is a) free and b) covers homebirth with my very own midwife. You stick up for yourself!
#3 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we have good insurance, and a homebirth would likely be covered... but I'm more comfy in the hospital, TBH. We would have considered homebirth if our son wouldn't have been allowed in the LDR room, but he is (as long as he has his own care provider who is NOT me or my primary labor support person... which is my requirement, too!)

The b-complex has 400 mcg of folic acid; from what I've read, no studies have ever shown benefit to more than that... they just double the amount pregnant women are supposed to get so that, I dunno, if they skip a day it's not a DISASTER or something. ;-) But of course I get some in my various foods, too.
#4 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 PM

You can get trace minerals from a good quality sea salt.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#5 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, we use nothing but sea salt, and on a whim I picked up some celtic gray sea salt the other day and have been using it. ;-) I guess maybe my body was saying "Mmmm... gray."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page