short labor and long drive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay peeps... I can't figure out what to do, and find it highly annoying : that I'm probably going to have to make an appointment to even begin screening a possible provider...

I would LOVE to have a midwife. SD currently works very hard to run all midwives out of the state if possible, unless they work under the direction of a physician. That means there are no home births here-unless it's unassisted or totally under the table. I interviewed a Midwife in WY (we're very close to the border) but found her extreme proselytizing to be too obnoxious to take. So that option is out. Still, there are two midwives working through physicians in a town approximately 1 hour away. I could probably find someone among the two that I liked. Here's my quandary:

My first birth was short. (please don't slap me all you poor 24hr+ moms! ) It was a whole 5.5 hours from the time my water broke to birth-and contractions didn't even set in for half an hour. Contractions were at 2-3 minutes before we were five miles down the road, and we had a 70 mile drive to get to the hospital. So I transitioned in the car- not pleasant, but I'm willing to do it again if it means I still get a midwife. It took me awhile to get that pushing thing figured out-probably 2.5 hours... DD was big at 8lbs 10 ozs (I'm 5'2")... for various reasons, we're really hoping and thinking the next child won't be so big... so this should speed labor up as well. Everything I read/hear says that generally subsequent labors tend to go faster. If so, do I dare have a midwife who for all practical purposes is 1.5 hours away? (DH will have a half an hour drive to get to me if it happens during the day.) Am I worrying way too much about this? (HA! watch-I'll have a 28 hour labor this time around!)

I think I'm okay with a homebirth (I'm still maturing into full crunchy-dom) - but am NOT so okay with an UNASSISTED birth in a car! I've tried to call and speak with the midwives in question to discuss this, but no one seems to be calling me back. What do you gals think?
#2 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 PM

Maybe you can get a traveling midwife? Or invite your midwife to a "sleepover" for a few weeks? LOL or rent an extended stay hotel a little closer? Are these the only midwives in your area that are available?
#3 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 PM

Hmmmm... read all you can about planned, prepared for unassisted childbirth.

then make your decision.:
#4 of 5 Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 AM

I agree with the unplanned unassisted part-in my experience it was easier to have a midwife heading my way, i could relax-chill out-and she had to rush. But also, we were VERY comfortable with our labor/birth knowledge-in fact, my ex caught our third child, we had a completely unassisted birth from prenatal care on (and that was my quickest labor and birth and also easiest) It seems safer to me(if all is healthy and well, of course) in the case of a quick labor/birth not to be speeding down the highway! With our first we had to drive and hour and a half and it wasn't comfy-with the others I could just labor.
Good luck!

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 PM

I have a similar dilemma. Both of my children were born at a birth center 45 minutes from us with no traffic, over an hour if it's during rush hour. Both of these labors were under 4 hours from start to finish. I got there for my first with an hour to spare, and with about 1-1/2 hours with my second. The issue is that I ended up spending about 1-2 hours on the phone with the midwives first to be sure I was really in labor (both kids were 3-4 weeks early), and then (for DS's birth) waiting for family to show up to take care of my DD. So we "wasted" a fair bit of time.

This time around, I won't wait for the midwives to make the call. I know labor when I see it and we'll be in the car asap (once help shows up to take the kids). But my fear is: #1 This labor will be even faster #2 I'll go into labor when DH is at work and have to drive myself to the birth center (or waste a lot of time waiting for him to get home) #3 I'll end up delivering in the car.

With my second babe, my midwife's advice was to #1 Think positive and #2 leave as soon as possible, but bring a map that clearly indicated the location of every hospital or clinic along our travel route so we could make a pit stop if needed. So maybe a plan like that would help? Would there be many other hospitals along the way?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page