Anyone else still waiting for their first appt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally see the midwife a week from tomorrow. I'm growing so impatient. I woke up this morning all emotional and worried. Am I having enough symptoms? Am I nauseous? Do my boobs hurt? Is my belly growing? Ugh. I'm even tempted to get another pregnancy test...how dumb is that. I just want some reassurance that everything is ok. I've been working really hard on positive affirmations and telling myself that I have a strong, healthy baby. I just can't wait to see the midwife and maybe hear a heartbeat.

Thanks for letting me whine.
#2 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 PM

I still have to get over to the health dept and pay them $7 to pee on a stick or whatever they do there so I can get official confirmation that I am indeed pg. Then we can start working getting insurance in place and get in touch with my midwife. Since she has changed practices in the last 2 years I also have to double check that they will take the state pg medicaid. She works at a hospital now so I don't think that will be an issue, but I'm going to be hugely disappointed if she doesn't.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#3 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM

My first appointment with a nurse at my doctors office is Friday where I will get some blood tests done and give them a medical history. Then next week I go to meet a midwife...I have a lot of symptoms so I am not really worried about. If I'm not pregnant though there is something seriously wrong with me LOL But no, I am sure. I can't wait until it's time to get an u/s to find out if my baby is a girl or boy.

Ally
#4 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:14 PM

yeah i know what you mean. I went in for an u/s because of spotting last week and saw the heartbeat, but tomorrow I see the nurse educator and deal with testing and stuff, and then on the 21st i finally get to see to ob/gyn. it's so hard to wait. i can't wait to find out the sex either!
#5 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM

We see our midwife next Tuesday.

I'm excited and nervous both!
#6 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:24 PM

I've had a couple consultations but they were just to interview potential midwives. I really liked the last one so I think that she's going to do our prenatals. Still planning on actually giving birth unassisted though. Anyway, she's leaving it up to me on when I want to actually start care. Can't hear the heart with the fetoscope until, what 19 -23 weeks anyway. I'm not doing any other testing, not even bloodwork since I'm using my bloodwork from my last pg for typing etc and she'll monitor my hb levels since that's the only thing that would change on a cbc anyway.

So yeah, I guess I qualify for not having my official first appt yet... and still haven't decided when it will be.
#7 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 PM

We interview out midwife on Monday but it's not really an appt.

I know what you mean about stressing over the symptoms. I'm only five weeks so there's not much going on at all. I only had a little bit of nausea with dd, so who knows what will happen this time. I have had a little bit of crampyness but that's about it.

I did take another test four days after I took the first and it was still postive. Dh said it looked darker to him so at least that is giving me some comfort.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#8 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:29 PM

I haven't made my appt yet, I will probably do that next week. I'm nervous too, until I hear a heartbeat I'm convinced for some reason that this is not real and all a dream.
#9 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:32 PM

I haven't even decided which midwife I'm going with yet. I have an appt in a few weeks with one (who I hope is it!) to interview her, but its not a real prenatal appointment. I did already have bloodwork done by my old midwives because I needed a CMV titer ASAP. I only talked to them on the phone though and have absolutely no intention of seeing them again. This is my third baby so I just don't feel the rush to go in right away.

I will probably try to get an appt around 12 weeks so we can hear the hearbeat on the doppler. I'm not a huge fan of doppler, we choose to use it very quickly and quit using it when the fetoscope works. I have someone close to me that didn't find out they had a non-viable pregnancy until rather late because they chose to wait for the fetoscope. For me, it will help me relax if we get to hear the heartbeat even just for a few seconds. I could see waiting longer than 12 weeks if you aren't using doppler.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#10 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My first appt won't be until around 20 weeks, but I really feel you on worrying that everything is okay. I definitely have symptoms, but no two days have been the same, so I worry. I think it's normal to worry. I have told family already, and many of them are excited, but many also said things like " Oh, that is really early, anything can happen". Not the kind of thing you want to hear.

The truth is, we are all smart ladies. We know there are risks. It does us no good to worry over them. God-willing, you'll have 8 more months to worry over the babe inside you, so the best thing to do is work through the fear and find out what it takes for you to relax. For me, reading birth stories of births that have gone right (within my definition, you need to know what your definition is) takes all the edge off. And, I have to learn to stay away from mainstream sites that talk as much about risks as they do positive outcomes. I need happy thoughts right now and then I feel *worlds* better.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#11 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 PM

Eh, even if I wasn't going UP, I wouldn't be having an app't any time soon. Tricare schooled me in the "no appointments in the first trimester" thing quite well.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#12 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 PM

I go next Tuesday! Nothing major but I dont think I will go back for 8 more weeks.. I am spacing my appts out farther as I dont have maternity coverage and I am refusing all but GBS testing.

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#13 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookehanna
I finally see the midwife a week from tomorrow. I'm growing so impatient. I woke up this morning all emotional and worried. Am I having enough symptoms? Am I nauseous? Do my boobs hurt? Is my belly growing? Ugh. I'm even tempted to get another pregnancy test...how dumb is that. I just want some reassurance that everything is ok. I've been working really hard on positive affirmations and telling myself that I have a strong, healthy baby. I just can't wait to see the midwife and maybe hear a heartbeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyH View Post
I haven't made my appt yet, I will probably do that next week. I'm nervous too, until I hear a heartbeat I'm convinced for some reason that this is not real and all a dream.
I have those feelings with each pregnancy, you ladies are definitely not alone in feeling that way! With my first 2 pregnancies I ended up with an early ultrasound each time due to bleeding, but this time everything is going great. As glad as I am that things are going fine, part of me really wants an u/s so I can see there really *is* a baby in there. When I feel that way I try remember to repeat my mantra:
I trust my body to perfectly grow this baby.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#14 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 01:16 PM

I dont have my first appointment until 12 weeks
I meet my midwife OCt. 1st
that feels so far away
I jsut want to hear the heartbeat hhahaha

2 kids. 1 more on the way. Cloth diapers, home birth, and boojuu is how I roll.

#15 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmama2myboo View Post
on the 21st i finally get to see to ob/gyn.
Me too! I did have my appointment for my history and my base weight and such. I feel like the 21st will never get here. I tend to worry and will feel much better once he says everything looks A-OK.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#16 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM

I have to wait until October 18th!

For bush patients who have to fly in, make hotel reservations, etc, they consolidate stuff. I'm getting my "birth education" meeting (basically the lady who walks you through the process) and my first appointment all in one morning. I'm booked there from 8:30 to 10:45, at least

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#17 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 02:03 PM

I have my first appt next Fri and I'll be about 6 weeks to 6 1/2 week (no LMP to date it) I'm considered 'high risk for first tri' so were doing an u/s and my chances of seeing heartbeat are 50/50 (at 7 week you should see a heartbeat, 6 or 6 1/2 more ify) With my son I just did a midwife/homebirth. This is a whole new expirence for me. So yep, just waiting. Hoping, trying to stay positive. I vowed to my husband though that I will calm down after I see a
#18 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 02:06 PM

My midwife said anytime between 8-10 weeks is good for the first appt. (I transferred to her after 1st trimester last time) I did ask for a progesterone test right away though - just my own personal preference.

And I'm doing a couple of consults with other midwives at Dh's request. He is on a non-hospital birth campaign. I personally feel rather indifferent.
#19 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM

I interviewed my midwife just this past Monday and loved her, so I'll be seeing her for an 8 week optional appointment just to set a "baseline" so to speak on the 6th of September. I could have waited until 12 weeks, but I thought, eh, what the heck, let's feel like I'm actually doing something and pee in a cup.

Did I mention I love my midwife? Love.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#20 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 03:03 PM

Deleted by user.
#21 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much ladies. Your responses were really helpful. I *know* I'm not alone, but sometimes it feels like it. This pregnancy was a surprise, so part of me is still adjusting to the whole idea. We're very excited, though.
#22 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 05:05 PM

I'm going in for an ultrasound next Wed so I can (hopefully) see a heartbeat. I'll be 6.5 weeks. After my miscarriage I'm really freaking out. I'm having bad cramps right now and its really worrying me. I dont know what I'll do if we dont see a heartbeat! If we have to wait a few days and try again thats really going to drive me nuts. I have my midwife appointment on the 20th of Sept. I already technically had one because I went in because I was having a lot of weird pregnancy symptoms but - tests. So she confirmed my pregnancy. Oh well, I guess all I can do now is wait!
#23 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 PM

I see my midwife in the middle of Sept...she wants me at 12-13 weeks.

Orthodox Mama
#24 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
I'm going in for an ultrasound next Wed so I can (hopefully) see a heartbeat. I'll be 6.5 weeks. After my miscarriage I'm really freaking out. I'm having bad cramps right now and its really worrying me. I dont know what I'll do if we dont see a heartbeat! If we have to wait a few days and try again thats really going to drive me nuts. I have my midwife appointment on the 20th of Sept. I already technically had one because I went in because I was having a lot of weird pregnancy symptoms but - tests. So she confirmed my pregnancy. Oh well, I guess all I can do now is wait!
just so you know at six and a half weeks they should see the heartbeat, but even if you are just a little off on your dates it wouldn't be too unusual not to see it. I'm getting a u/s at 6 1/2 weeks too and I keep reminding myself of that.
#25 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookehanna View Post
Thanks so much ladies. Your responses were really helpful. I *know* I'm not alone, but sometimes it feels like it. This pregnancy was a surprise, so part of me is still adjusting to the whole idea. We're very excited, though.
No, no, nooo! You are most definitely not the only one. I went to the OB just to get the bloodwork covered by insurance but am still waiting for my first midwife appointment so it still feels like I am waiting for the first REAL appt. sigh. Soooo hard to wait. I think part of the reason I went to the OB, honestly, was just to have SOMETHING to do and the satisfaction of lab numbers and an u/s to look at. I'm a dork.
#26 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM

nope, haven't had any appts and I'm almost 8 weeks. I plan on 'as little intervention as necessary bordering on another unassisted' birth but still wanna meet with the midwife-she wouldn't see me till 10 or so weeks anyway so I'll probably wait to make an appt.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#27 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM

I haven't had any appointments, and won't be seeing the midwife until 12 weeks- Sept. 17th. She and I felt there was no reason to come in sooner. I am declining pap and didn't want/need any HcG levels tested. We figure 12 weeks means my DH can hear the heartbeat at the first appointment. He still doesn't want to get excited (although we have no history of loss), he just keeps saying "it's too soon". So I think the first appt. will be good for him.

I have actually been surprised at how many people have already had appts, ultrasounds, etc. I have always thought that first trimester appts. were pretty pointless unless you are having trouble, a history of risk, etc.

But I do agree, sometimes it's hard to wait. I'm looking forward to our appt!
#28 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 10:04 AM

Apparently it's standard here in NL to have the first appt at 10 weeks, followed by an ultrasound at 12 weeks. I've been waffling on when I'll call and make my first appointment. I am in no rush, and the fewer appointments the better, in my opinion.

DH would definitely like the 12-week ultrasound. I'd just as soon not; there's nothing unusual going on, and I'm 100% certain on dates, but it's his baby too, and I'm not anti-ultrasound, so I imagine we'll do it. Though it may not be at exactly 12 weeks, depending on when I finally go in for an appointment.
#29 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 AM

My (home birth) midwife doesn't see us until about 12 weeks. I'm a good ways off!
#30 of 37 Old 08-31-2007, 10:08 PM

I had a u/s at 7 weeks, but my first official appt is not until next Wednesday. Honestly, I am not looking forward too it. Only because it'll be very uneventful. Practically no chance of hearing the HB by doppler, of course. So eh, until my second appt.. I'm not excited about the appt's yet (or anxious, rather). :P

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page