Seeing Spots? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I am at work and all of a sudden these weird crystal-y looking blobs popped into my field of vision... like when you see spots from bright light but crystal-y looking... should I be concerned? What should I do? They are making it hard to read the computer screen and stuff...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#2 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 PM

Like, floaters?
#3 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

like crystal-y blobs... kinda like little prisms... I don't know how to describe it other then that... and not little pin pricks, like blobs...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#4 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 02:48 PM

I have floaters all the time, these gelatenous blobs that sometimes connect in strings that float around in my eyeballs, and sometimes you can see them more clearly and they look like crystals. Mine are monotone but everyone else I know say theyre colored to them (dont know what THAT means) and I have no idea what they are. My dad used to tell me it was the "gel covering over your eyes when you were a fetus, and then they broke up and thats what they are", my mom thinks it's dust, DH thinks its cat hair (?), I don't even want to guess. I always have them though.
#5 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have never had them and its weirding me out... and making it so I can't work... eugh

#6 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Do they move if you move your eyes?
#7 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Not really.. they seem to just be there in certain parts of my eyes...

#8 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I get those with very low blood sugar. They're usually a sign that I have to eat something and take it easy. I'm sure you're not feeling very well today so I'll refrain from much advice on how to handle it, but whatever you can do to get good food in would probably help.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#9 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Hm yeah thats not what I have at all. Mine swim around.
#10 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I have been drinking gatorade and snacking on some crackers.. I have egg salad for lunch... none of it sounds appealing at ALL but we are too broke for me to justify going out and buying lunch...

#11 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 PM

Since its so early in the pregnancy, this probably is NOT it - but thought I'd throw it out there...

When my BP started to raise I saw spots, and actually it is a pretty common symptom of high BP. Drs and nurses would always ask me if I was seeing spots. Anyway, it might be worth checking if you are somewhere where they have one of those BP machines.

I do know that your retinas swell when you are pregnant (I know they change, I'm pretty sure its that they swell), and its normal to have vision changes when you are preggo. I wonder if those changes could cause spots as well?
#12 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 PM

Just wanted to check in. How are you doing? Feeling better?
#13 of 17 Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 AM

My husband and my father get something that sounds just like that and the eye doc said that for both of them, it's ocular migraines. So it's a migraine happening, but they don't feel the pain right away (my dad never feels the pain, actually), just see the spots. For my husband, it gets so bad that he can barely see. It's his signal to take some pain relievers asap.
#14 of 17 Old 08-30-2007, 05:55 AM

I was just going to say ocular migraines as well. I have been getting them every day for the past 2 or 3 days. So far I haven't had any pain with them. If I'm looking at the computer or tv there will be a corner that I just can't see. It's almost like there is nothing in those spots. Even when I close my eyes I can still "see" flashes of light in those spots.

I don't know how to stop them. It does seem to be much better if I can just close my eyes for about half an hour or so, but that's almost impossible to do.

Hopefully this is just an early pregnancy thing and they will go away soon.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#15 of 17 Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcare View Post
My husband and my father get something that sounds just like that and the eye doc said that for both of them, it's ocular migraines. So it's a migraine happening, but they don't feel the pain right away (my dad never feels the pain, actually), just see the spots. For my husband, it gets so bad that he can barely see. It's his signal to take some pain relievers asap.
I had this in my third pregnancy. It happened a few times, once to the point I couldn't see a darn thing (other than the pretty sparkles ), and sometimes I had numbness in my hand or arm with it. It went away after about half an hour.

I've also had it a few times since that pregnancy and it's always been followed by a mild migraine (oxymoron though that may be). I never had migraines before that.
#16 of 17 Old 08-30-2007, 10:42 AM

It is more likely blood pressure related. If you stand up too fast or something and get a bit dizzy with floaters, just hang onto something and get your bearings. If they happen out of nowhere while you're sitting, your bp might be a little high. Try to take some deep breaths and don't consume caffeine.

The extremely unlikely answer could be toxoplasmosis, but that's really very unlikely in general.
#17 of 17 Old 08-30-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

They are mostly gone today... the more I think about it the more I think it may be the migraine thing... as later in the day yesterday I got one of those someone-is-splitting-my-head-apart-with-an-axe type head aches...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page