Looks like he got the job!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband got the job in North Carolina. They are flying us down next week to take a tour. A realtor is coming to meet with us here tomorrow night about selling the house.

It hasn't set in yet really....we are relocating! to Cary, NC!

I am going to contact the midwives whose names I have gotten from MDC members down in NC and try to set up meetings.

My new mantra: this is not stressful, it's fun!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 PM

Yay! Glad to hear it!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Well too bad you aren't moving closer to me.. o well from what I hear they have better luck with home births out there. Dh's family moved to Cary when they first moved to NC. I hope you like it.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

MissAnn- where are you in NC? We aren't 100% sure on Cary as of yet, but that is where his job is. I have been looking also at Carrboro (a little far away for our tastes from work), Garner, Apex...just lots of towns/burbs in that area. Any suggestions?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 08-29-2007, 07:44 PM

WOOHOO! Congrats to your hubby (and you as I'm sure you supported him through it )!

Never been to NC, so I'm no help in any way other than congratulations.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
MissAnn- where are you in NC? We aren't 100% sure on Cary as of yet, but that is where his job is. I have been looking also at Carrboro (a little far away for our tastes from work), Garner, Apex...just lots of towns/burbs in that area. Any suggestions?
I'm close to 3 hours away from Cary... not where you want to be if he is going to be working in Cary. Dh went to school in Apex but other than that I know nothing about the area.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Carrie, Cary is a little upscale and more or less a yuppie suburb of Raleigh. Carrboro and Chapel Hill are more laid-back and granola. Chapel Hill is a college town with about 40,000 residents, half of whom are college students. Carrboro butts right up against Chapel Hill.

Living wise, I'd choose Carrboro in a heartbeat over Cary, but I understand about the commute. You don't want to be on I-40 during rush hour twice a day. Outside rush hour, though, the drive will only take about 30 minutes, so if he can be flexible on his work hours that might work just fine.

Durham also has sections that are not bad, and Ninth Street in Durham used to be a very cool, alternative street. Not sure if it still is. Durham is a city, though (400,000 inhabitants), so it also has some scary sections. Don't go live in one of those .

My mother grew up in Cary and my grandparents lived there until they died, in one of the older sections (obviously ), which was therefore not at all yuppified. But then you have lots of older people, and all the house are from the 50s and early 60s.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM

I'm from Cary! I live in Maryland now, and we lived over seas for much of my childhood, but we always kept a house in Cary. Actually it WAS Apex, but they have been swallowed up but Cary. My parents live there now and my sister lives in Raleigh. I went to school at UNC-Chapel Hill. And my ds was born in Cary. I like it there, but then I'm used to it! It has gotten so much more crowded in recent years, though. When my parents first built their house 25 years ago it seemed like it was out in the middle of nowhere. Now they are a little 10 acre "island" of woods in the middle of a sea of sub-urbs.

Anyway, congrats to your dh on the new job. Hope you enjoy it there. I keep bugging my dh to look for a job down there so we can live close to my parents. But he's not thrilled by that idea.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM

Raleigh's nice, so i am sure Cary is too. good luck with the house selling and the move
Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I think we are going to leave all options open becuase Chapell Hill seems like such a nice and fun area. Plus my SIL is there. Right now, DH is very anti commute, but he has agreed to at least look in Chapell Hill. Also Garner, Raleigh, Pittsboro and Durham as well.

User Tag List