I'm not sure what to do! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH has strep. It's been making the rounds around school... I'm amazed he caught it before me since I work with the little germ factories... er... primary students. I catch strep fairly easily, and I swear I'm starting to feel a twinge in my throat.

The village clinic is staffed by health aides. They're awesome, but not overly professional when it comes to privacy... if I went in for a strep culture and said, "By the way, tell the doctor when you call in with my results for the prescription that I'm 5 weeks pregnant," that information would start leaking out. But I sure don't want them giving me a prescription that would be bad for the baby.

My other option is to fly into Bethel and see the Physician's Assistant there. It's a much bigger town (6000 people) and they're much more professional, but how do I explain to my boss why I need a whole day off (and to pay an extra $150 RT for airfare) to take care of something I could easily do in ten minutes at the local clinic?

The usual course of treatment for strep in the villages is an injection of penicillin. Not sure if the same goes for pregnant women, what effects penicillin has on pregnancy, or anything else.

Keeping this under wraps is becoming complicated.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 08:34 PM

Why do you need to keep the pregnancy a secret?

I'd definitely want the doctor to know I'm pregnant. I also tell the pharmacy tech because there have been a number of times over the past two pregnancies when the docs "forgot" and prescribed something contraindicated during pregnancy. :
Old 08-29-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

I want to keep it under wraps because we're still so early on (5 weeks), and I couldn't handle it if (and boy do I hope this isn't the case) we were to lose the baby and all 59 of my students kept asking me about it. There are no secrets in the village

The health aides aren't doctors. They aren't even nurses. They have HS diplomas plus some training. They basically do tests, forward the information to the doctors in Bethel, and then give out what the doctors tell them to give out.

I guess, if it comes to it, I can let the cat out of the bag... but we weren't ready to start telling people.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:05 PM

Even if they're not doctors or nurses, it seems like the privacy provisions of HIPAA should come into play here... in which case, they'd be in a world o' trouble if they disclosed personally-identifiable info without a damn good reason.

But, gargle with salt water, get tons of rest, and hope it's not an issue!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I know they're TECHNICALLY supposed to obey privacy regulations... but a whole lot of rules that apply elsewhere don't quite work out here. I guess, if I ONLY told the aide who saw me, and let it slip that we hadn't told ANYONE in the village yet, she would understand that if people started finding out and it got back to me, I'd know exactly who spilled the beans...

I think that's what I'll do. Not put it on the initial form that the front desk lady reads, but say it to the lady who tests me... IF I test positive and she has to call the doctor for a prescription.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Yeah, I know they're TECHNICALLY supposed to obey privacy regulations... but a whole lot of rules that apply elsewhere don't quite work out here. I guess, if I ONLY told the aide who saw me, and let it slip that we hadn't told ANYONE in the village yet, she would understand that if people started finding out and it got back to me, I'd know exactly who spilled the beans...

I think that's what I'll do. Not put it on the initial form that the front desk lady reads, but say it to the lady who tests me... IF I test positive and she has to call the doctor for a prescription.
That sounds like a good idea. I'd also actually mention the HIPPA privacy laws and how serious you take your privacy.

P.S. I've heard gargling with Listerine (not something I'd usually use) supposedly can help prevent Strep throat.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I'd also actually mention the HIPPA privacy laws and how serious you take your privacy.

P.S. I've heard gargling with Listerine (not something I'd usually use) supposedly can help prevent Strep throat.
Hmm... I HAD some Listerine. Wonder if there's any left, or if it's horrifically past date. They don't sell it at the store (it's a dry village, and people are always looking for stuff to drink ), but if I have some, I'll give it a try.

User Tag List