7.5 weeks and my first "when are you due" question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were at the hospital yesterday getting my daughter's MRI and bloodwork done. A woman in the waiting room asked me when I was due.

Granted, I have some cute round pudge in the right area, and granted, that pudge is more pronounced than it was before this pregnancy. But wow . . . I hadn't expected that so soon.

It was kind of nice, and kind of embarrassing. I mean, I have enough flab on my belly for someone to think I'm pregnant! Lucky for her I *am* pregnant, or she'd have felt terrible .
#2 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM

What a brave mama!! LOL I probably would have just wondered all day and not said a word.

I am still hiding mine.. so ppl really close to me probably just think I let myself go this summer, lol

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#3 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 AM

Wow! I can't help but think that question is super rude unless a woman has SAID she's pregnant.
#4 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I can't believe she asked, either. I mean, I *never* say anything unless I'm 100% sure a woman is pregnant, which is usually about 3 days before her due date .

My DH suggested that maybe she's just one of those people who can "sense" pregnancy. I'm skeptical that those people exist, but hey, could be.

To be fair, the skirt I've been wearing every day for the past several weeks (since my pants no longer fit) and the shirt I had on are both close-fitting; if I'd been wearing a T-shirt I'm sure she wouldn't have noticed anything.
#5 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM

WOW, that took some nerve on her part!

Right now, I look exactly like I did at the END of my first trimester with my first pregnancy. But I have ever since my first was born

I would be mad if someone assumed I was pregnant. :
#6 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 PM

There was a woman in my inburgering class (today was the first day) and it took me a while to get up the nerve to comment on her pregnancy. She is 28 weeks. I can't believe that someone commented to you where we all are now. Crazy. Was it a Dutch person or foreigner?

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#7 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Yesterday I was trying to find some comfortable clothes to wear out and I was complaining that "These clothes make me look pregnant!"

My sister said "You're only 6 weeks. You can't be showing yet!"

I looked down and I definitely saw something. I said "Yes I can! Don't call me fat!!! It's my UTERUS!"

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#8 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
There was a woman in my inburgering class (today was the first day) and it took me a while to get up the nerve to comment on her pregnancy. She is 28 weeks. I can't believe that someone commented to you where we all are now. Crazy. Was it a Dutch person or foreigner?
Good luck on the inburgering, Sarah. Fortunately I didn't have to go through the classes (just take the 3-hour language test).

I can't believe she commented, either. I can see how you might see my pudge and think, hmmmmm, *could* be pregnant, but it's nowhere near the point you could be confident about it.

It was a Dutch woman. She, her husband, and their daughter were in the waiting room with us. They were talkers, and pleasant enough, though clearly quite prejudiced. I was really sad to see that the girl (probably about 12) had internalized all that prejudice herself. She said something about all the foreigners in NL and how so many of them are aggressive. Of course, I always have to smirk inside, because they don't realize they are talking to a foreigner .

The mother was definitely the kind of person to say what she thinks, though, even if it is insensitive. So in that regard it doesn't surprise me that she commented on my belly out loud. She started with "oh, you're expecting, aren't you?"
#9 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiejane08 View Post
Of course, I always have to smirk inside, because they don't realize they are talking to a foreigner .
Good for you! How long did it take for you to get to that point? I can only hope to one day be reasonably fluent. I'm beyond hoping that I could ever be mistaken for a local.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#10 of 12 Old 08-31-2007, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
Good for you! How long did it take for you to get to that point? I can only hope to one day be reasonably fluent. I'm beyond hoping that I could ever be mistaken for a local.
I took a Dutch class in 1995/96, and met my DH in October 95. I'd say it took me a couple of years to get to the point where my head didn't hurt when I tried to follow conversations in Dutch. We lived in the US until 2002 and spoke Dutch at home so the kids would learn it. DH's mom doesn't speak English (one of 3 Dutch people left who don't ), so that really helped me in the beginning, when we took four 3-week vacations to NL a year. (Can you say visa woes?)

I still make mistakes, mostly of the de/het variety, and I do still have an accent. It isn't terribly strong, but some folks hear it right away while others are stunned when they learn I'm not Dutch. DH thinks most people who peg me as a foreigner don't hear an accent, but pick up on strange word usage and stuff like that. I think I just still have a noticeable accent.

The folks in the waiting room were doing most of the talking, so they didn't get much opportunity to hear my accent anyway!
#11 of 12 Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiejane08 View Post
My DH suggested that maybe she's just one of those people who can "sense" pregnancy. I'm skeptical that those people exist, but hey, could be.
I can sometimes tell people are pregnant before they can, but I surely don't waltz up to them and tell them or ask newlies when they are due! There's got to be some sort of unspoken code or some line of etiquette somewhere telling folks not to do this. I am chubby in all the right places and people have asked me many times how far along I am. Hey, if it jiggles... LOL... its PROBABLY not a baby. My ex boyfriend in highschool used to flip out because I'd walk around with him sticking my gut out and rubbing my belly to get people to stare at us, it would make him so uncomfortable, I thought it was hilarious. I've always looked 4 mos pregnant. Except recently... it's pretty apparent I'm just chubby. Ironic.
#12 of 12 Old 08-31-2007, 03:56 PM

Wow, that's weird. With her rantings about foreigners, I can't help but wonder if she is a little mentally unstable and gets a mean kick out of asking women with a "pudge" if they're pregnant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page