April Homebirthers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering who here is planning a homebirth????

I would love a support system in my DDC.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:12 PM

I'm currently planning a homebirth, but on the fence re an UC.

Either way, the birth *will* be at home.
#3 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 PM

we are planning a homebirth. We are in Pa now working with a practice called MIdwifery Traditions (CNMs) but we will be working with a CPM most likely when we move to NC. We are interviewing some from down there right now.

Recently i checked out the thread about "birth pool in a box" and was kinda inerested in the product. I have been checking out the website and it seems pretty cool!

We are also starting a savings for our homebirth, as it will cost us about 2k.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#4 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 PM

I'm planning a homebirth too. This would be my first one and we are just interviewing midwives now.
#5 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 PM

hi! i haven't even posted an intro in this ddc yet, but i would like to say hello to you...i will be homebirthing - i haven't decided on whether it will be uc or with a totally laid back mw.
i'm due-ish the end of april and this will be my 2nd baby!
i had an uneventful 1st pregnancy with midwives - no diagnostics done except antibody screen and a couple other things that made my mw's feel comfy about participating in my care...my birth was at a birth center due to where were living at the time...if i could go back and have a do-over, i would have just stayed home with dh and mil (who is a mw and was in the house at the time).

so, hello! :
#6 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
we are planning a homebirth. We are in Pa now working with a practice called MIdwifery Traditions (CNMs) but we will be working with a CPM most likely when we move to NC. We are interviewing some from down there right now.

Recently i checked out the thread about "birth pool in a box" and was kinda inerested in the product. I have been checking out the website and it seems pretty cool!

We are also starting a savings for our homebirth, as it will cost us about 2k.
WHOA! where do you live? i am in north wales...
#7 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking at the pool too. I'm not a huge bath person so I'm not sure how I'll like it. Last time I was fine just in the shower.

Our birth is going to be $4000 upfront but we will get *some* back. We were planning on waiting another year to have a baby so we picked the cheap insurance and now we have a huge deductable.

We interview a midwife on Monday (Labor Day ) who I really really liked on the phone. The only issue is she is a drive from us and we have a really old and questionable car. She does offer to do the visits at your place but that cost extra. I'm thinking about seeing how much it is and seeing if she could just come a couple times. Esspically at the end when we're going all the time.

#8 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove View Post
WHOA! where do you live? i am in north wales...
Hey I'm in East Norriton/Norristown area!! very close by!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#9 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
cool! we should compare bellies irl!
#10 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove View Post
cool! we should compare bellies irl!
Yes! we should get together. I love meeting MDC ladies I know a few more around here as well (KOP area). we should have lunch or something.

#11 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 PM

I'm planning another HB. My midwife just called and we're good to go. Yay! I'm glad that's over with now.

I am looking for a birth pool too. I want one that's deep. La Bassine or Birth-pool-in-a-box.

We're saving up-it will cost us $3000 but insurance should reimburse us some afterwards (hopefully).
#12 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 PM

Homebirth here - not sure who will be there yet, but it will be at home
#13 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 PM

yep...same midwife as last time. I love my midwife.

Orthodox Mama
#14 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 PM

My biggest worry is thinking of whether or not I will tell family members.

I didn't want anyone at my last births (hospital), but I have a strong feeling (at least right now) that I would like my sister, SIL, and some others to be there...but this would mean telling people and facing the remarks I might get.

It's sad that I have to even think about this...I wish I could just have the people I want there and have everyone just celebrate along with me.

But then I feel if we don't tell anyone, we will enjoy our pregnancy more instead of having to face comments and criticism (since even if SIL, sister, etc are on board, others will find out and the criticism will come)

#15 of 41 Old 08-30-2007, 11:49 PM

I homebirth last time and loved it. Since my m/c I decided not to make any birthplans this time around until 12 weeks. (some type of protective thing-I guess) However if I find the right midwife, I'd love to do it again. but no birthing tub this time around.
#16 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 AM

I really want a HB, but DH is not too happy about the cost because insurance will cover a hospital birth 100%, but will pay zero, not even for prenatal for HB :
#17 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 01:17 AM

If this baby sticks we are planing another homebirth. We have different insurance this time around so my mw from last time isn't covered anymore. I don't know what we will do about that. I guess we will just have to pay out of pocket (about 2k) or possibly UC. I haven't really researched the UC option, though, so I don't know.
#18 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 07:05 AM

I will be, for the first time. It's pretty standard in NL.
#19 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 AM

Yup. Planning a UCA4C.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#20 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM

Homebirth here!! Toronto, Canada
#21 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 AM

I'm a homebirther... third time (should be a charm ). I'm planning to UC but doing prenatals with a midwife. She's so great. I wouldn't mind her being there for the tail end of the birth. I am hoping for a night labor with a dawn birth (so the kids can see). I do want someone to be there post birth for emotional support (for both dh and I) and to check the baby out. and do my post natals.
My mw had four homebirths with the last two unassisted (well, other than her husband). So she's supportive of me ucing... which is nice.

Quote:
I used to live in Doylestown.. then in Yardley. Too bad you're not staying in that area. I loved my philly/maryland mws. Now we're on the opposite end of the state.
#22 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 11:17 AM

I'll be UC'ing at home. For my dd I had an unmed birth at a hospital but I didn't like the scare tactics they used on me (tried to have me induced and told me if I didn't I would wind up with a dead baby - went into labor that night anyway) and then all the interventions they pushed on me while I was laboring and not wanting to be bothered.

I don't know about water birthing. Last time I really had no desire at all to be in the water. Normally I love swimming and playing in warm water, and taking baths, but I didn't like being in a bath or a shower when I was laboring. So maybe I am a land-birther at heart. But if the going gets rough, I would like to have the option. Not sure yet, we might just buy a little fishy pool or I might look into renting a birth tub.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#23 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Dh isn't sure about UCing so we're getting a midwife. I'm very hands off though, I think that's what went wrong last time. Hopefully she'll agree to just letting me do my thing and we'll call her when we're ready for her. We're meeting her Monday, so we'll see.

#24 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM

Count me in for homebirth with midwife!!! This is our first but I knew even before conceiving that is the path I would take.
#25 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 11:59 AM

This is my 3rd child and will be my 2nd homebirth.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#26 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 12:37 PM

Hi all, I'm planning a home birth as well. I'm in New Hampshire. This is my second child but it will be my first home birth. It will be with the same midwife as my first child though, who was born in a free standing birth center. My husband and I are really excited. We are just hoping the floor will support the birthing tub!
#27 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 01:00 PM

Before I got pregnant, the plan was a home birth. This will be my third child and I really don't want to do another hospital birth. I am thinking though now that maybe I'll check out the water birth center. I guess I should keep my options open at this point.
#28 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 01:06 PM

Hi MamaWolfe. I was just wondering what are some of your deciding factors? For me, I had a wonderful (albeit long) first birth in a birth center, but even then, I had the overwhelming desire to be home. I had not expected that. Immediately after birth, my husband and I were already saying, "next time, at home..." Would you be able to get a tub at home? My first son wasn't born in the water, but the tub was a huge relief during my labor, so we'll be getting one for the second child. I'm still not sure what the total cost out of our pocket will be, my first prenatal appointment is Tuesday, so I'll have a better idea then. I'm hoping not too much, because we are pretty set on it!
#29 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 01:16 PM

I just wanted to add that my first I labored in water in one of those blow up kiddie pools. Hated it. Gave birth in bed.
Second labor I did in an Aquadoula. Much better experience but I'd recommend lining at least part of the bottom and part of a side with pillows. It's too deep to be completely comfortable without any support (I felt like I was going to drift away). Gave birth in water. Great. Loved it. Doing it again.
This time we're using a rubbermaid horse trough, lined in blankets and pillows and with a waterproof liner on top. Hopefully I'll give birth in water agian!
#30 of 41 Old 08-31-2007, 02:41 PM

Homebirther here! I've been planning my homebirth for 4 years- ever since I started working as a birth professional and saw the way birth is handled in the hospital- NO WAY! I'll be getting the Birth Pool in a Box too so that I have the option of waterbirth if it seems right at the time.

I can't wait for my homebirth! And the nice thing about planning and being aware so long before pregnancy is that just about everyone has had time to get used to the idea, DH included. I know that there are family and friends who don't necessarily agree with my choices, but they have had enough time to get used to it and realize that they will need to keep their mouths shut!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page