Maternity clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tell me I am not the only one already pulling them out in the middle of week 7! I've actually had them out for most of a week now so since about 6 weeks. I have to go shopping for new undies and I am so dreading that. Why when I looked online are the darn things $12 for a 3 pack??? I don't pay that much for regular undies! I'm hoping I can find them cheaper at Target if not I've got some NWT I'm watching on ebay for less then half the regular price. I had them up last night and dh has the lovely idea to tell me they were ugly. I'm already irked at needing to get them gee thanks for the fashion comments!

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#2 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 12:17 PM

I don't need them yet, at least not on the bottom, but all my shirts are fitting awkwardly on the top as my chest has expanded, so I'm tempted to pick up shirts now because all the summer stuff is on sale and I need it pretty much all year round here, and then at least I won't feel like my shirts are hitting me in awkward places and being too short when I'm out in public.
#3 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 12:20 PM

i'm toward the end of my fat pants (non-maternity), so yes I have dug them out and washed them but not yet worn them. i think i need to though. by the end of the day, i feel like my pants are straining LOL
panties. don't even get me started there. last time I bought boy-leg cut ones that were lowcut, they worked out pretty good. got to get more of those if i can find them wahhhhh
#4 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

I haven't been able to wear my regular pants for several weeks, but I've got a couple of skirts with elastic waists that are working well. I've bought some maternity pants, but they are still so horrendously big in the belly stretch area that they aren't comfortable yet.
#5 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM

I have a couple pairs of pants I can wear, well... I can FIT into all of them but some are just so not comfortable. Shirts are another thing... my boobs have gotten WAY to be big for my liking and none of my shirts fit... I need to look for some stuff on sale..

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#6 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 PM

Last time I got low rise undies in a bigger size and they worked well. I couldn't afford maternity ones.

I got out my clothes and washed some of the smaller stuff but I lost a lot of weight after my last one so I've got some fat clothes that I should be able to wear for a little bit. I'm just five weeks so no change yet though. I can't wait, I'm ready for the belly.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#7 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My boobs already snapped the straps on one of my favorite tanks It was so embarrassing! Thank goodness I was wearing a zipped up hoodie so no one noticed!

None of my jeans fit (not that I wear them much anyway I guess) I've been wearing only my clothes from American Apparel. Their wide waist banded cotton skirts might last all the way through (I hope), and a lot of my tube tops like this: http://www.americanapparel.net/store..._LightPink.jpg

Could last through the first trimester at least.. Again I hope, they seem to have so much space in them. I definitely can't wear cotton skirts and tube tops the rest of my life though so I'm already looking for new clothes. We had an article a couple days ago actually on a Jessica Scott piece.. I really want it. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...sica_scott.php

And maternity undies? I *never* thought about that. Don't your regular ones just sit below the belly? I guess not. Is it a size issue? Or do I really need maternity specific undies? Yuck. I hate shopping for intimates. Am I the only person in the world that's absolutely mortified by going into Victoria's Secret?

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#8 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 02:08 PM

My boobs are a little bigger but not enough to justify buying new bras (darn). It's the undies issue-everything is too tight and annoying. I like the boy shorts, though, think I'll probably get more of those.
Otherwise, I'm living in skirts. I'm just too bloated to deal with anything else. It's funny, though, most everyone who knows me thinks I dress like a 'mean little boy' (long shorts and tank tops or t shirts) and now I look like a hippie mama so everyone is kinda like...'okkkaaayyyy...' I have no maternity clothes leftovers so I am gonna have to shop in a few weeks. :

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#9 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 02:12 PM

Lordy, I hope not. My clothes have to fit until I go into Anchorage at 12 weeks (in October!).

Luckily, I lost a lot of weight last year (30 lbs), so I have some truly fat fat clothes still hanging around. It's also my first kid, so I may be slow to "pop," and I'm tall (five feet eleven inches) and "built like a brick $#!+house, so the little guy/girl has lots of room to grow before having to push out. I hope. I could pop tomorrow and be S.O.L for the next month.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#10 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 02:30 PM

I'm really hoping not to tell anyone (beside dh) until 12 weeks-so that means squeezing into cloths for 6 more weeks!
#11 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 02:42 PM

I dug all my maternity stuff out to see what I had and what I would need since this baby is due a little earlier than july this time. I figured I could get some stuff at garage sales before they end for the year cheaper than going to a store.

I can't fit into my "tighter" clothes anymore I have moved up to my looser fitting clothes now... My cousin is 2 sizes bigger than me and just cleaned out her closet and brought me a bunch of stuff. So that works for now because the maternity stuff looks too big still.

I already popped though so we will see how long it takes my shirts already are feeling too short!!

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#12 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 03:32 PM

I'm long-torsoed, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about shirts. I have to work really hard to cover my stomach in its non-pregnant state (a lot of shirts don't make it down to where my pants start!). I just hope I can find some maternity shirts cut long!

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#13 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
And maternity undies? I *never* thought about that. Don't your regular ones just sit below the belly? I guess not. Is it a size issue? Or do I really need maternity specific undies? Yuck. I hate shopping for intimates. Am I the only person in the world that's absolutely mortified by going into Victoria's Secret?
My regular undies fit just fine all through my last pregnancy, but I'm really glad I got some maternity ones anyway... because bikinis would have been HORRIBLY uncomfortable across my c-section incision :-(.
#14 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 04:02 PM

I used my regular undies all through my first pregnancy too. But I DID fold down the waistband. They were mostly just cotton fruit of the loom or something like that from the cheap multi-pack, so they ended up all terribly stretched out, but comfy!!
#15 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 04:06 PM

My stomach is really starting to pudge to the point that my "baggy" shorts and skirts are getting snug, but I wasn't wanting to drag the maternity clothes out yet because I know they're too big still. I don't know why I didn't think of the box of too big clothes from before I lost 40 lb. I'll have to dig that out today.
#16 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

I seem to be a freak in this, but I detest low rise clothing! It's constantly slipping down and I'm constantly pulling it back up. There are few things that annoy me more. At the moment I have a couple pairs of low rise panties that are the only thing that fit, but before I was 100 feet down the side walk to pick dd up from school the only reason they weren't at my ankles was they were sticking to my hips. they were sagging in the front and back and I was trying to keep the stupid things up the rest of the way to her school and back home :

#17 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 04:16 PM

I also just get the low rise undies in 2 sizes bigger (I need to get a pack a size bigger now). It's not till the last tri that they start falling off but by that time I'm in the full belly bottoms so it doesn't really matter. My belly tends to hang really low so I may concede to maternity underwear. I saw a lot of 75, yes 75 maternity undies from old navy for $14.99 a few weeks ago and am kicking myself in the behind for not getting it.

As far as maternity clothes are concerned, I've been in them for a few weeks already. Dh never brought up my bigger clothes from downstairs (I can't go in the basement because it's automatic retch reaction). I can't imagine than anything down there would be very comfy anyway. All my bulge is in my belly so non maternity clothes just make me look and feel weird. There is one more elastic band skirt that fits if I wear it low. Other than that I've been hunting down maternity wear. I lent all my clothes to my friend who lives on the other end of the state and was too sick to call her and get her to drop them off at MIL's before she came to visit. Anyway, I just sent her a card in the mail telling her about my pg and asking for my clothes back. Let's hope I get them soon because my wardrobe is extremely limited as of now.
#18 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 PM

I'm about 7-8 weeks and my regular jeans are reeaaally tight. I attempted to throw them on last night for a quick trip to the store and I had to take them off as soon as I got home. I'm wearing mostly elastic waist skirts and my 2 pairs of maternity shorts. This is my 3rd baby and my uterus is already above my pubic bone. I don't look remotely pregnant yet, I just look like I've gained weight, which is stupid because I am 15lbs less than I was 4 months ago! Very frustrating!

I have a pool party to go to the end of next month and I am dreading it. I'll be about 3 months along then, so not enough to wear a maternity swimsuit. But my regular one would look disgusting. I'm think of being sick that day...*cough, cough*

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#19 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I've already worn my maternity suit to the beach It's a 2 piece with a long swing top. There was no way even at 6 weeks I was going to feel comfortable in my regular suits.

#20 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 05:27 PM

Lurking from May Mommas ~ I just ordered some maternity gauchos and 4.99 cotton tees from Old Navy. I plan on being extremely comfy in the coming months! : )
#21 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
I've already worn my maternity suit to the beach It's a 2 piece with a long swing top. There was no way even at 6 weeks I was going to feel comfortable in my regular suits.
Yeah I would do that if mine didn't look so weird. Maybe it will look better in a month. I just look like I have this extremely bloated abdomen. Like even my upper abdomen is bloated. I'm a plus size mama but I've lost weight recently and I'm not in THAT bad of shape. I'm feel kinda crappy about myself after trying on my swimsuits

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#22 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 PM

No maternity clothes yet, my belly hasn't really popped yet and I'm actually still losing weight so I haven't had to buy anything maternity. I'm hoping I won't have to get anything until at least after 12-14 weeks.
#23 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaG View Post
I don't need them yet, at least not on the bottom, but all my shirts are fitting awkwardly on the top as my chest has expanded, so I'm tempted to pick up shirts now because all the summer stuff is on sale and I need it pretty much all year round here, and then at least I won't feel like my shirts are hitting me in awkward places and being too short when I'm out in public.
I almost forgot to respond to your post with all the craziness here this afternoon! I'm in central FL over on the coast so our weather is very similar. I would jump all over the summer stuff on clearance right now as you are going to need them well before April with the weather here. You will also probably want them for at least a couple weeks after the baby comes.

#24 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 PM

ok, ya'll are making me feel better. i don't think i had to wear maternity clothes last time until i was between 3 and 4 months along, but i dug the maternity clothes out today, and i'm only 9 1/2 weeks along. i'm glad to know i'm not the only one giving up on regular clothes. some of them are still going to be way too big, but my regular clothes are getting too tight, and i refuse to buy an in between wardrobe, since hardly anyone but my little boy and my hubby have to see me on a regular basis anyway. i've been doing the rubber band in the buttonhole thing on my pants, but hubby and my sisters have been laughing at me about it, and besides my pants keep coming unzipped.
#25 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Yeah I would do that if mine didn't look so weird. Maybe it will look better in a month. I just look like I have this extremely bloated abdomen. Like even my upper abdomen is bloated. I'm a plus size mama but I've lost weight recently and I'm not in THAT bad of shape. I'm feel kinda crappy about myself after trying on my swimsuits
This is the one I have http://www.motherhood.com/Product.as...Category_Id=18 although it's far from that size It's also highly amusing that I have the exact same suit although I bought the one I have when I was pg with dd about 6 years ago!

#26 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 PM

am i the only one who is trying to figure out how i can LOSE 9 lbs since 5w along, and yet need bigger clothes???? lol.
#27 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 PM

Old Navy's regular and maternity clothes (are they still doing those??) seem to be cut longer this season. That might be an option for some.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#28 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 08:54 PM

I had to use a rubber band on my blue jeans today. Ugh. I sold a lot of my maternity clothes. Looks like I'll be shopping asap!
#29 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 PM

I've noticed my fave pair of shorts becoming not so loose lately (they were nice and big before, lots of room.. LOL).

No maternity here.. yet. I predict I'll be in maternity a good portion of the time come 12 weeks though.
#30 of 31 Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 PM

My favorite pair of shorts *are* maternity shorts! I never put them into storage last time, because they were so perfect for me. Good thing I have something that still fits. :-/ But they're in the hamper, and I haven't gotten around to laundry yet...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page