If you are participating in the swap, please read! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ALL matches have been sent. If you sent me your info. and have NOT heard from me...contact me ASAP!

Thanks! : Hope this is fun for all...remember, please have things off no later than the 15th. If, by several days after that, you haven't recieved anything, please let me know.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 11:25 AM

Marie, I know that you have done a lot of work already so I feel bad asking for this but...

Could you please list the guidelines? Was there a set amount of how much we should spend? Do we tell the person who we are in a card or something that we include in the package? Or is it a secret santa kind of thing?

This I do know, thanks to your pm. We should send our packages out by the 15th.
#3 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

There are no guidelines. I asked opinions & noone really wanted to decide on anything so it's basically "whatever." Most moms SUGGESTED approx. $20. Yeah, reveal yourself in the package, want mamas to be able to say thank you! Other than that, if the person has listed preferences it should be easy, if not, well trickier! :
Have fun shopping...!!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#4 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 01:00 PM

My swap partner hasn't provided guidelines, and I'm not always terribly creative. If anyone wants to throw out general ideas for types of gifts, like maternity shirt, bath stuff, chocolates, etc., maybe we could all spur each other on to think of something good!

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#5 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Also - is this a one time thing or are we sending something each trimester? If it's a one time thing than it will be much harder trying to decide what to send.
#6 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunipersMom View Post
Also - is this a one time thing or are we sending something each trimester? If it's a one time thing than it will be much harder trying to decide what to send.
It all depends on it someone wants to organize a 2nd and 3rd trimester swap, I'm not!

Yeah, ideas are great! Most who DID list preferences listed things such as favorite scents, bath items. Many wanted "pamper me" baskets. MOST said they DIDN'T want books.

#7 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 03:25 PM

i made a huge list b/c i know we are difficult to shop for :

i got my partner aok and im excited!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#8 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 03:49 PM

I hope someone will be up for organizing a later swap. I might be depending on how things go. This one was too difficult for me to figure out and it seemed highly unfair to the late joining women as we still have women just finding out they are pg and joining the group. Even if I could have figured this out money was not there at the moment to join in so maybe the rest of this is a moot point, but I keep seeing women joining our group who never had a clue this swap was going on and I don't want them to feel exclude from the group as a whole.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#9 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
I keep seeing women joining our group who never had a clue this swap was going on and I don't want them to feel exclude from the group as a whole.
Great point. Perhaps some enterprising soul will be willing to compile a list of the end-of-monthers who are interested, pair them up, and give them a 9/30 mailing deadline or so.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#10 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
Great point. Perhaps some enterprising soul will be willing to compile a list of the end-of-monthers who are interested, pair them up, and give them a 9/30 mailing deadline or so.
I'll volunteer myself to run a end 2nd tri swap. We'll list our ISO's/preferences and I'll match up.
#11 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Actually pretty much EVERYONE who posted within the last 24 hrs. even has joined & been matched. I even accepted some today. I asked SEVERAL times for people to list what they wanted, noone did. I like the "free for all" - it works. As I've said, if you can do better - good luck next trimester!

#12 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
I hope someone will be up for organizing a later swap. I might be depending on how things go. This one was too difficult for me to figure out and it seemed highly unfair to the late joining women as we still have women just finding out they are pg and joining the group. Even if I could have figured this out money was not there at the moment to join in so maybe the rest of this is a moot point, but I keep seeing women joining our group who never had a clue this swap was going on and I don't want them to feel exclude from the group as a whole.
Yes, but it's a FIRST TRIMESTER swap, of course some wouldn't make it. It needed to be wrapped up while we were, you know, in the FIRST TRIMESTER.

Really, do we need to argue about this? Most are very happy & it's going smoothly. It works.

#13 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 06:37 PM

I'm not arguing merely pointing out a fallacy I'm seeing to the entire idea. I've also seen a large number of threads started by newer members of the group that those who joined first said "oh we already did that" or just ignored. I don't want the ddc to be split up in to different groups by who has been here longest.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#14 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Come on now, really..."split up?" There won't be any "we already did that" as we'll be doing it again & again! And I responded to ALL...ALL...posts. Over 40 members had NO issues signing up, I don't know why a COUPLE did. Sorry, it worked for the overwhelming majority. I won't debate it any further, this thread isn't for that. Thanks.

#15 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 09:14 PM

How did I miss a thread about a swap? Bummer! I would have totally been in, oh well I definitely want to be in for a 2nd tri swap!
#16 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
ALL matches have been sent. If you sent me your info. and have NOT heard from me...contact me ASAP!

Thanks! : Hope this is fun for all...remember, please have things off no later than the 15th. If, by several days after that, you haven't recieved anything, please let me know.
Thanks so much for doing this!!!!!

Just to make this clear, we are sending one first trimester gift to our person right?? This isn't the person we send a gift to for each trimester??

BTW, I looked up past post of my mama for ideas and she's CDing and this is her first so I'm sending some CD stuff.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#17 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 10:56 PM

thanks so much girl for all that you have done with it. I know it had to be hard work.
#18 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 10:59 PM

Would it be totally tacky to send a gift card to motherhood???? Just wondering...be confined to a bed lately...and that would be so easy for me....but if anyone thinks its tacky I will find something.
#19 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 PM

One thing you can do is order from Amazon, and have it shipped directly (even gift-wrapped!) to your recipient. And that's not just books... that's EVERYTHING. They even sell groceries now. (I just ordered, among other things, a 5-pack of Kinnickinnick's Montana chocolate chip cookies... that's five packs of like 24 cookies each. Yum. I hope.)

I may do that, though my recipient has requested a "pamper me" gift basket, and I'm lousy at that sort of thing ;-) but I'll try!
#20 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 11:19 PM

thanks girl that is a great idea...:LOVE IT
#21 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
Thanks so much for doing this!!!!!

Just to make this clear, we are sending one first trimester gift to our person right?? This isn't the person we send a gift to for each trimester??

BTW, I looked up past post of my mama for ideas and she's CDing and this is her first so I'm sending some CD stuff.
Noooooo, LOL, someone ELSE will have to run the next 2 swaps & match people up how they want, LOL, I'm done!

Thanks for the kind words mamas, glad you are enjoying it!

Yeah, I appreciate that I got lots of hints from my person too - and I STILL am not sure what I'm getting her!

I believe NEXT we are doing the bead swap that the lovely counterGOPI is running...that's sure to be a hit! Looking fwd. to it!

#22 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 AM

awww shucks youre making me blush!!
but yeah that will start mid-october b/c i **** have m/s right now and then the 1st week of october we are goign to FL. with my MIL for a week so i cant organize from there

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#23 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Have fun in FL! I'm going in Nov. - but I basically live a hop above FL, so no real difference from home, LOL!

#24 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Actually pretty much EVERYONE who posted within the last 24 hrs. even has joined & been matched. I even accepted some today. I asked SEVERAL times for people to list what they wanted, noone did. I like the "free for all" - it works. As I've said, if you can do better - good luck next trimester!
Wait a sec... I never EVER EVER meant to say you weren't doing a good enough job or that I felt *I* could do better. That was never my intention. It's not me to come across that way. I just said that I'm used to doing the ISO matched type swaps and with my preggo brain I didn't want to try and do a free for all, especially for someone I didn't know well. I lose all sense of creativity when I'm pregnant (especially now) so I didn't want to participate in something I hadn't done before.
I know that in cyber space it's easy to read into what someone is saying and put a whole different spin on it so I wanted to make sure that everyone knows I wasn't trying to start anything. I thought I was pretty clear about it from the start but if not, sorry.
#25 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

It's OK, I get it.

#26 of 28 Old 09-04-2007, 02:43 PM

I am at a loss. What do you get someone who you don't know at all?

Any ideas? I have searched hyenacart and that etsy site someone posted. I don't want to get something they don't like....

TIA!!!

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#27 of 28 Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Well, you can search for your exchange person's posts and get a better idea of who they are from there. If you go to their profile, you can look up all their posts, and then scan through for the ones they started or the ones that are longer to get more of an idea about them.
#28 of 28 Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks I didn't know you could do that.....

I hope it gives me some ideas!!!

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page