How do you sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When are we supposed to start sleeping on our side? Last night was the first night that it felt even a little uncomfortable to sleep on my stomach. I usually alternate between my stomach and left side, but am now finding myself waking up on my back often. I think that, even though I'm not really showing much yet, my stomach is getting heavier. Maybe I need to try putting a pillow under my side when I sleep.

Anyway, how do you sleep? When are we supposed to start sleeping on our left side?
#2 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 AM

I just sleep in whatever position I feel the most comfortable. Usually on my side or back with pillows supporting me between my knees and behind me.
I haven't gotten my body pillow out yet but will be getting that out of storage soon.
#3 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM

like hell. that's how i sleep lmao. jk, kind of.
I tend to sleep on my left anyways, or my back. i sleep on the left enough that when i wake up after a couple of hours, my uterus is all hard and feels like a canteloupe laying on the left side of my body. then if i roll to my back the baby seems to get mad and must feel like she's in a listing ship, cause then she kicks me and stomps on the bladder LOL.
#4 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 12:27 PM

I sleep however my night-nursing DD lets me sleep, but preferably on my right side. If she has her way, I'm on my back, though. Not sure how that's going to work when I'm further along and prolonged periods of back sleep are a no-no.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#5 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 12:36 PM

mama2aboo! That's JUST what I was thinking! LOL!

Okay, my meaures are gonna sound ABSURD. Normally, I'm not much of a pillow person, since they yarnk your spine so far out of alignment, if you are lieing on your back. My DH doesn't use one at all- but then, he sleeps like a corpse-flat on his back-arms folded across his chest-hilarious! I typically like to sleep either on my stomach (sans pillow) or on my side with a pillow to keep my neck aligned. but NOW? it's insane.

I broke down this weekend and instituted pregancy pillowing. I'm not sleeping well and couldn't get comfortable. I place a body pillow behind me, and thread the end between my knees. This provides some support, as I lie on my side, slightly tilted backwards against the pillow. THEN I put a travel sized pillow (the flatter the better) under my stomach. There's so much pillow in that damn bed that I can hardly even reach my DH! UGH! but it works. I've found that while I my side, my belly really screws up my center of balance. I either find myself suffocating as I tilt backward on it, or squished as I lean forward on it. don't get me wrong, it's only JUST barely starting to be a problem-but I get really sore shoulder muscles later without it.

Crimeny-this turned into a treatise on sleep positions!
#6 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 PM

we're supposed to sleep on our left side?!? Since WHEN?!
#7 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 PM

I have been sleeping with a big pillow next to me (between legs and to support belly) for 3-4 weeks now. I switch back and forth between sides, but sometimes rest on my back or belly as well.

Melissa knit.gifmilitary wife to C : Mom to Ben (4.26.06) ,Will (4.07.08), Sam (10.11.10), and expecting a GIRL in March 2013!

#8 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 PM

I've tried getting myself used to sleeping on my left side. But I've always preferred my right side. And now I'm having shoulder pains in BOTH shoulders, so I am switching about 20x per night to avoid pain. :/

For the most part, even with a belly, I'm sleeping halfway in between on my belly and my side. It doesn't hurt in the least and I know I won't be able to do it much longer.
#9 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 PM

ubermama-now that you mention it- I think that shoulder pain is what really prompted me to come up with my kooky pillow tactics during the last pregnancy. something to support you from behind will really help!
#10 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 02:27 PM

Uncomfortably.

I thought we are only supposed to sleep on our left side really late when baby is squishing veins and crap.

I'm a side sleeper, I sleep (alone, DH sleeps on the floor for now) on my side with a body pillow on each side, the fan right on me, pillows everywhere. I toss and turn all night, very rarely I end up on my back...
#11 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My preferred sleeping position is on my back (as Alpaca Wacka said, like a corpse, except my DH calls it the royal position ), but I'm already getting the vagus nerve dizziness/nausea when I spend more than 5 minutes on my back.

So I've started alternating from side to side, with my bottom leg straight and my top leg bent -- it helps avoid the horribly sore hips that come from sleeping on your sides with both legs bent all night. As my belly grows, I'll add a pillow in front of me to rest my belly and top knee on.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#12 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 02:49 PM

to shed some light on why they say side sleeping is better, check here

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...positions.html

i've seen that theory echoed all over the place, that's just one link
#13 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 02:53 PM

Who says I sleep?

I have one of these and it rocks! I got it when prego with ds. I can lay with it between my knees and hug up to it with my arm around it kinda laying on top o fit, and my belly kinda hanging under me... can you picture that? I can't sleep with out this thing anymore.
#14 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM

We splurged and bought a tempur-pedic mattress pad. It is an egg crate style and 3 inches thick. (I got it off overstock.com so it was 1/4 the msrp.)
I CAN'T BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE! It just cradles my awkward body. I haven't slept this good in a LONG time.
#15 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM

And to shed some light on your shoulder pains, it's probably rotator cuff related. Most pg moms get it and it tends to get worse as the baby grows and tends to stay worse on the side you carry your baby on most (without a sling of course). The only things that helps me is when dh does active muscle release on the rotator cuff muscles (especially the one under my shoulder blade... ooo that one burns!!!!). Then I follow up with stretches to keep my range of motion fluid. I know so many moms who have this problem and it is so easy to take care of. But then again, not all chiros are created equal and may not know how to treat it

Anyway, I'm surrounded by pillows when I attempt to sleep. One behind me giving me support, one in front of me to drape my arm over, one between my legs to keep my pelvis aligned, and one little squishy one under my belly. that leaves dh and I about 6 inches of mattress to share. I prefer sleeping on my left but will switch to my right if I feel it is stressing my shoulder. I remember only being comfortable on my belly and sorta propped on my side with ds#2. Even when I was big pg. I couldn't sleep any other way. talk about bad for my pelvis alignment!!! IMO sleep is more important than alignment because you can always get adjusted but you can't go back and make up for lost sleep (don't I know it!!!).
#16 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM

Sleep? As in through the night? You can still do that? If I'm not up peeing, I'm up to eat...if I'm not up to eat, I've had some crazy dream...or it's just 4am, so I'm awake for no reason with not enough sleep and unable to fall back to sleep!

When I nap through the night, I'm usually on a side, hugging a pillow. I used to sleep on my belly, but that's been uncomfortable for a couple of weeks now.
#17 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 PM

I try to sleep on my side and I have a pillow I like to lean on but I keep waking up on my stomach. Its still comfortable so far on my stomach even though I can feel my little softball in there so I know in the next couple of weeks there will be no way to sleep like that.
#18 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 PM

very little these days. i start out on my side, and then usually end up on my back. i'm also sharing a full size bed with dh, and my giant 2 year old, who flails around and either kicks me in the stomach or back all night. :
i know they'll be no sleeping after the new baby gets here. i sure wish i could get some shut eye these last few months...
#19 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 PM

Poorly...

I can feel the bump when I'm lying on my belly, but it's REALLY hard for me to get comfy in any other position.

When I just can't get comfortable, I move over to the twin (we have a twin and a queen next to each other, from when DS was co-sleeping... we got him another twin for his room so he could migrate slowly, since we knew we'd be doing the co-sleeping thing again), where I have:

* A bed wedge (one of these)
* My pillow (very flat down-filled conventional bed pillow) on top of it
* A body pillow along the wall next to me
* A Snoogle curled up under my legs.

On there, I sleep on my back or on my side, whichever lets me fall asleep. It's weird; I don't feel all *that* much more comfortable, but I sleep sooo much more soundly this way. I sometimes wake up with a stiff neck, though, so I try to only do it when I *need* it.

(There, AlpackaWacka, don't you feel better about your pillow arrangements now? ;-)
#20 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM

I sleep in whatever fashion is comfy. If something is out of whack, my body is pretty good at telling me off.
#21 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 PM

I sleep on my front right hip bone and the right side of my stomach, with my right leg straight and my left leg bent up by my belly to keep me from laying on my belly. Did that make ANY sense? LOL

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#22 of 27 Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 PM

Alpaca.....what are you reading, my dear? Or not reading? :

We're supposed to be training ourselves to sleep mostly on our left sides, because sleeping on the right makes the uterus put a lot of pressure on the liver, which becomes a bigger deal later when the bebe's bigger.

Need me to loan you a couple books? LOL:

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#23 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3babes View Post
I sleep on my front right hip bone and the right side of my stomach, with my right leg straight and my left leg bent up by my belly to keep me from laying on my belly. Did that make ANY sense? LOL
perfect sense, that's exactly how I sleep! I actually alternate sides during the night, but I'm always slightly tilted on my stomach with my knee up (so, a 45 degree angle, I guess?), even when I'm not pregnant. Now that my belly's getting a little bigger, I've started putting a pillow under my bent knee to give my belly more room.

I'll say, though, that I'm doing much better this time around. At this point last pregnancy, I was surrounded/propped by pillows at every angle. It'll happen eventually....just not as early, I guess.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#24 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 02:31 AM

I'm half on my stomach... usually rotated a little so I'm half on my side as well, with an arm propped under my belly. It's basically the same position I've always slept in... and it still works, so I'll take it.

Natalie, mama to Katherine (5/22/10), missing Devin (stillborn 3/6/08)
#25 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3babes View Post
Ahhh!! This is exactly my pose!

Natalie, mama to Katherine (5/22/10), missing Devin (stillborn 3/6/08)
#26 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
That is exactly what I do, too! And I do the same on my left side (opposite, of course) and switch back and forth all night. I've always slept that way so it's nice to be able to keep doing it.
Otherwise, I'm up to pee at least 3 times a night, or I lay there feeling like I've had a few shots of espresso before bed. Rrrggh.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#27 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 PM

I sleep all the time. On my side...I go to bed at 11 get up at 6...drop the kids of at school get home at 8 go back to bed then get up at 11. So I sleep way to much but its cold and snuggle weather.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page