Pain in the butt....literally. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-05-2007, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else having pains in the butt cheeks and hamstrings? I can't even sit for long periods of time and sleeping is a nightmare. I am so exhausted when I wake up from dehydration (and I have a humidifier next to my bed) and flipping all night long (I even bought a body pillow).

I am going to talk to my doctor about it on Wednesday. My other doctor recommended getting some sort of physical therapy. I wonder which is better....physical therapy, chiropractic, or acupuncture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 AM

When I was pregnant with my son, I had horrible sharp pain in my right butt cheek. It turns out it was the SI joint relaxing and the muscle getting pinched inbetween the two bones. Ouch!! Two things helped: one, don't sit in the cross legged/'Indian' style position, it makes it worse, and two, physical therapy. Physical Therapy helped a ton and I would highly recommend it. It got the pain to go away completely thru heat, massage (yes, on my butt) and exercises.

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

#3 of 5 Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice......as I am sitting in the Indian position right now ;-) I think it is totally related to my hip joints doing something crazy. It seem to have gotten worse since I went camping (a month or so ago).
#4 of 5 Old 11-05-2007, 02:17 AM

My hips are my issue. There are an issue each and every pregnancy. This time, I'm making myself see a chiropracter.

I've also noticed the pain lessens the more I use my birth ball. Even in the morning, hours after I last used the ball, the pain is dramatically lessened!

I'll also be getting a massage every 3 weeks or so near the end of the pregnancy, when the pains in my lower back get bad.
#5 of 5 Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 PM

i would second the massage. i had one last week and it was WONDERFUL. she even has a special table with cutouts for your boobs and belly. not quite big enough to take advantage of the belly hole yet but it seems like it will be wonderful in a bit when i can just let it hang in the hammock.

and i'd also make a plug for yoga...even some simple stuff you can do it home on your own. i think there is at least a couple yoga instructors on here who can probably offer specifics but off the top of my head i would possibly suggest some low back opening like downward dog with your knees bent and feet turned in http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/downdog.htm

and secondly stretch your quads (front of your leg) by standing at a wall and holding one leg bent behind you. i know it seems weird to stretch the front when the pain is in the back but it made sense when my yoga teacher explained it to me at the time, AND it seemed to help with my hip pain.

third yoga position which has been helpful for me is just getting on hands and knees and gentle moving/rotating around in my hips. feels REALLY good esp. after sitting all day and helps keeps things open up in there as our mechanics and weight are changing...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page