"Waiting for the ultrasound" chatter. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.. pull up a chair. I want some company!

When is yours? Are you finding out the sex? Are you going out to celebrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM

I'll keep you company by living vicariously through the other mamas on here. I'm 17 weeks and not planning any u/s for the rest of the pregnancy. I found out with my other 2, so this is a new experience for me.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Mine is a week from tomorrow - Friday the 16th! Yes, we are finding out the sex (if baby cooperates!) and will be celebrating by going out to lunch afterward and then calling up all the family and friends who are anxiously awaiting the news! I'm so excited to find out!

Lacy 35 and Chris 35, DS Jakob 2, and EDD 1/1/11
Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM

Ours was yesterday at 18w1d. We did not find out the sex

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mine is on the 13th which is my last pregnancys due date and our 5 year anniversary. We're going to go early in the morning, and then celebrate by going out to lush to get a think pink or a big blue bath bomb for after dinner.. proably stop into the baby boutiques on the way... I think we're going to melting pot if we can possibly afford it (Im still selling stuff!) as we have been doing that for the past several years on our anniversary.

I was so happy to find out that they give you a DVD of the ultrasound and a CD of the pictures so I can upload them for family and friends, I am so excited I can barely contain myself.

For mamas that have done these before... did you do the "juice" thing to keep them active? Did it help?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 PM

i can hardly wait for Nov 29 to find out the sex of this little one. I'm also 17.5 weeks pregnant and this will ALSO be my first appointment. Yeah, at 20 weeks. that's the UK for ya! I can't wait to hear the heartbeat or ANYTHING because i just want this to feel real...and i want to know who I am to bond with, a boy or girl...i need this.

Oh, then we are going to go to a really special restaurant and get an overnight babysitter which we've NEVER done before. But DS will be totally cool with it as he knows our friend really well. Anyway, there is no such thing as good steak here...imo, but we found an American restuarant with imported steak and so i'll have that and will be oh so happy! (sorry to any vegans out there...) Then we're going to go to a show (maybe Wicked?) as we've only ever gone to one show since we have DS and its expensive. This will be huge purchases for us as a homemaker/DH student...but it is something to celebrate whatever we're having! (think its a girl...)

Sigh. i can't wait! lets go November, lets go!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 PM

Mine is scheduled for Monday the 19th. I will be 18 weeks 2 days. After a lot of going back and forth about finding out the gender we decided to keep it a surprise. Looking foward to seeing the little one bouncing around on the u/s.

my two boys 9-2004 dup2(q13,q23) and 3-2008
Old 11-08-2007, 07:22 PM

Our 5 yr anniversary is the 13th too. I thought I was the only person to get married on a Wednesday! My first ultrasound is on the 20th. I'll be 19 weeks. We won't be finding out the gender. The surprise is too much fun. My husband will be working, so maybe I'll celebrate by taking my 2yr-old out for lunch.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:31 PM

Nov 29th is when I'll be having an u/s. I think I'm going to be going the "write it down and read it later route" We'll see.

I'm also 17 weeks right now.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 PM

mines on monday

we are definitely finding out the gender (if babe cooperates.) i want a boy, but have a feeling its a girl..
ill be happy either way even though i don't want to admit it.

celebrating? out to dinner? what's that? jk.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 PM

the 13th at 3 pm here, i am dying to make sure the baby is ok. I am sure they are fine, but i do worry especially with the 7 1/2 weeks of spotting that I went thru :

We will both be there as will our 3 1/2 yr old dd. We do plan on finding out the sex if possible. If it's a boy, my dh and my dd are going to freak out on me pretty good, so I am hoping it's a girl
Old 11-08-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmom View Post
Our 5 yr anniversary is the 13th too. I thought I was the only person to get married on a Wednesday!
LOL! Well, we got married on the 13th of... something : last year. I can't ever remember the date, we only went to the JOP so we could save $$ on car insurance because in our eyes, we had been married so much longer than that... the paper from the state was just that.. a paper. So I count our original anniversary as the one and only. :
Old 11-08-2007, 08:05 PM

My ultrasound is Monday November 12th. I'm so excited to see the little parasite!! We aren't planning on finding out the gender - we have said all along we won't but yesterday dh said he wonders if maybe he wants to know. I think in the end we won't find out though. No going out to celebrate. He'll probably go straight to work afterward.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 PM

My next appointment is November 20th, but they didn't schedule me for my anatomy scan yet, which seemed kinda strange (I'll be aaaalmost 20 weeks by then; I guess they wait for the first appt after you hit 20w). We're not finding out the gender, though, and we already had one ultrasound, so I'm not so much on pins and needles about it (though I'm looking forward to having a "clean bill of health" and all that).
Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 PM

Mine is next Monday, the 12th. I'll be 18w4d or 18w2d according to my dr.

No idea if the IP's want to find out gender. If they seem against finding out, then I probably won't. If they seem okay with my finding out but they don't (or will), then I will.

The u/s is at 8am. We have to be there at 7:45am. If you knew how late my kids and I sleep in each day, you'd understand why waking this early is scaring me. I'm setting THREE alarms to make sure I wake up. And I'm going to bed three hours earlier the night before (thankfully DH can stay up and tend to the kids).

I'm anxious and I don't know why. No celebrating. Once it's done, back to the hotel and then the airport my IP's go and I'm going home to NAP!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 PM

We had one at 16 weeks (about 3 weeks ago now) to determine placenta placement - requested by midwife.

We weren't planning any so I doubt we'll have another unless a serious complication arises.

We didn't find out the gender.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 PM

Okay, our appointment is for December 4th and YES we are finding out. I am OCD to the extreme! I'll be 22 weeks by then!
Will we celerbrate? I don't know. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to break the news to my parents if it is a boy. They want a grand daughter so bad. It's cute.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Mine is Wednesday Dec 5th at 10am. We didn't want to find out the sex but I'm leaning more and more towards maybe finding out, I just can't imagine not being able to buy the bunch of things I need without knowing. We'll see!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY? View Post
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to break the news to my parents if it is a boy. They want a grand daughter so bad. It's cute.
Haha. This reminds me of my Mom and MIL. The first pg, they wanted us to have a girl so bad. DH joked early on that it'd be twin boys.

It was twin boys.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My U/S is on Nov 27. We'll be finding out the gender (as long as babe lets us). I don't think we'll necessarily celebrate...maybe just go to lunch?

Although, now that I think about it, if it's a boy DP may plan a party

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 PM

Never mind.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Mine is Monday the 12th too. I'll be 19w6d. We are NOT finding out the gender. There will be no real celebration- we both go straight to work afterwards.

I am different than most of you in that I am really not looking forward to it AT ALL- this is my one compromise with DH, he really wants me to have one. Otherwise we are having a low/no intervention pregnancy and declining everything else. I have concerns about the effects on baby of the u/s waves, as well as major concerns about the high rate of false-positives, etc. that could potentially throw a wrench into our plans or create fear in my DH. My midwife has talked me down a few times about it, but it is hard. No one understands my feelings- everyone I know is always so excited about their u/s and get multiple u/s and recreational u/s, so they think I'm being an irrational hippie, or judging them for getting u/s.

I wish I could be as excited as the rest of you! Hopefully I'll enjoy seeing the baby, but honestly I'll be glad when it's over.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Ok, what do you seriously need before the baby is born that needs gender? I can't wrap my brain around it. Newborn-size clothes still come in a TON of neutral colors... I'm not partial to yellow, but it's better than pink ;-). Green, white, lavender, polka dots, cute fuzzy animals... just was never an issue. You can always get a new cover for the carseat in a couple of years if your child decides they care about the color or design, even if you get a convertible you expect to keep for six years.

So, enlighten me... what did we fail to buy for our son in the appropriate gender? ;-)
Seriously?! You're going to harp on me because I want to be able to buy pink or blue?

I'm not having an u/s just to find out the gender but if I decide I want to know while they are doing it then what's wrong with that?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 AM

We have a Level II u/s scheduled for 11/27. It will be our 5th u/s. I have had to accept that I am having a more medicalized pregnancy than I wanted (still holding out hope for the birth, though!). This week I was diagnosed with a slight placental separation or abruption primarily because I had a test that showed that the baby's blood has mixed with mine. I have been spotting off and on ever since I found out I was pg, but then I was also rear-ended at a stoplight a few weeks ago, so there is no telling what caused this if in fact I truly have an abruption.

Anyway, I was dead set against finding out the sex ahead of time. However, with everything that is going on, and the fear I'm having that this might not end well, I have decided I want to know. Maybe me and baby can put up a better fight if I can stop thinking of him/her as "it."

DD (4 yo) really wants a little sister, so I think we are going to ask the u/s tech to put the sex in an envelope that we will open at home. I *think* DD would be OK with a little brother, but I'd kind of rather do it at home anyway, and it will be better that way if she's disappointed.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 11-09-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Ok, what do you seriously need before the baby is born that needs gender? I can't wrap my brain around it. Newborn-size clothes still come in a TON of neutral colors... I'm not partial to yellow, but it's better than pink ;-). Green, white, lavender, polka dots, cute fuzzy animals... just was never an issue. You can always get a new cover for the carseat in a couple of years if your child decides they care about the color or design, even if you get a convertible you expect to keep for six years.

So, enlighten me... what did we fail to buy for our son in the appropriate gender? ;-)
You know, I think you've put your opinions out there and we all get what you think and how you feel at this point, but really... In this case, you need to back off. Why in the world did you feel the need to give her a hard time about finding out the anatomy of *their* child? Maybe, just maybe, it's none of your business? Btw, I didn't see where she posted ANYWHERE about *your* decisions to buy/not buy something pink or something blue. Right.

In answer to the OP, we're having our u/s on the 26th. We'll check organs, some PIA cysts I have, and anatomy. Dh is off work and we're keeping dd & ds home from school to go with us. Making it a field trip.

Eksmom, I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. Wishing you a healthy rest of pregnancy and healthy baby! (Btw, my dd (5) wants a little sister, too. Hoping they're not too terribly disappointed!)
Old 11-09-2007, 01:13 AM

Ouch Monica. :/

You know, if this were my baby, we wouldn't be having a u/s. I'm not necessarily wanting one, as they make me anxious. But I am held to a contract in which I agreed to do this, so ..

Katherine, I am sorry about all of the ultrasounds. I had many during my first pg as well. I hope things turn out okay and your pregnancy from here on out is as uneventful as possible.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 AM

My u/s is a week from today. For our frist child we had the doctor right it doan and then we went out and re-did our first date..and then opened it at dinner. This time, we are going to the Celtics game Friday night( which is how my husband proposed). We are both HUGE sports fans and we will probably open it there.

However, my mom is coming with me to the appointment and she is going to have them tell her there...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Little cone cups for when he pees on you .. not an issue with little chicas
Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 AM

my ultrasound is on november 13th and we will be hopefully finding out the sex. we are sooo excited!

retired RN(for now)/ now SAHM! to homeschoolers S(13), L(10), B(6) and excited about #4 edd May 2015.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyH View Post
Seriously?! You're going to harp on me because I want to be able to buy pink or blue?

I'm not having an u/s just to find out the gender but if I decide I want to know while they are doing it then what's wrong with that?
Ok, sorry, I know that came out all wrong. I've had the most awful day.

Just... never mind. Trying to grasp what it's like on the "other side" may not be possible, I guess.

User Tag List