anyone babymooning?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i really, really want to squeeze in a holiday with just me and the hubster before the little one gets here.

i am LUSTING after a caribbean trip sometime during tri-2 -- which i realize puts us in the middle of the high season, like jan-feb.

only trouble is, we're self employed and it's really hard to get time away from work... we generally have to do so much hectic preparation and catch-up before and after any time off, that the stress and sleeplessness cancels out any restorative effects the vacation was intended to provide.

recently i've been thinking about booking time at a nearby b&b instead, where we can just hole up with hot chocolate and cuddle for a couple of days, and avoid most of the travel time. maybe for our special vacation type stuff, we can do a couple of spa treatments or something. or, perhaps going to florida instead of the caribbean, to help save money.

i know it's like, super decadent w/all the expenses a baby will bring, but it's a really fond dream for me - the whole time we've been married all our travel has been for work, to see family, with friends etc. i would like to do some special trip or experience with just the two of us before (and to celebrate) this important life change.

anyone else considering this? did anyone do it before their 1st? any ideas for amazing places in the mid-atlantic region?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 AM

Yes! We're going to Mexico for a week in January. We'll be in the States for Christmas anyway, so we decided to squeeze a holiday in while we're there. We'll be going to the Yucatan peninsula and will do a few days somewhere beachy and then will go see some Mayan ruins. 2.5 year old DD will be in tow, though, so I'm not certain that it counts as a babymoon.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#3 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 AM

We are going to Salt Lake for a week, next weekend.
We figured it would be a good time to visit family along the way and be alone.
Plus, I've never been to Salt Lake and since we will be moving ot Boston in May this may be only chance for awhile.
#4 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Nope - we were supposed to go to Mexico in February, but I talked DH out of it. The last thing I need is to get sick from the food/water and end up in the hospital there, dehydrated with early contractions. Then there's the fact that money is going to be tight for MONTHS once baby arrives - we need to save as much as possible.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#5 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Yes! We're actually 'honeymooning' (we don't respect order of operations around here ). Our trip is to Yosemite for 5 days, which is only a 3.5 hour drive from our house. I think you should do something fun and exclusive with your DH before April!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#6 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY? View Post
We are going to Salt Lake for a week, next weekend
me too!!!

we are going to salt lake for just the weekend through tuesday and then off to los angeles (where dh is from) for 2 more weeks for the holidays. we were thinking we might stay for a night at the disneyland hotel and do a day at disneyland just us (i know i know I'll be careful).. i get into disneyland for free because I'm still employed by the walt disney company (worked in orlando for 2 yrs) so the only thing we will have to pay for is the hotel, which is still pretty pricy, even with the discount!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#7 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Feb is my DH's 30th birthday, so I'm hoping to schedule a overnight/weekend trip then.

Mom to  DS (8), DD (6), DS (4), DS (1),and baby#5 05/2015
#8 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM

I wish! I have to save my vacation days for maternity leave...

But I do hope to get a nice weekend in somewhere, maybe a Chicago museum weekend or something.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#9 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 PM

We had a 3-4 day hotel stay across the highway from the gulf of Mexico in MS while I was pg with dd. It was a great time and now incredibly difficult to even think about. It really was nice having those few days to spend just to 2 of us relaxing. It was maybe a 5 hour drive across 10 back home to where we lived in LA. We probably could have had just as great a time even closer to home, but we stopped at a little place on the beach while coming home from a work trip. We just ended up staying there a few extra days and enjoying the time alone before we had to be home for dn's christening.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#10 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 08:52 PM

We're going to the Caribbean for 2 weeks 12/24/07 through 1/5/08. We'd planned it before I got pregnant, but with the knowledge that we were trying, so we cleared the idea of traveling while pregnant with the tour guide before we booked the trip. He said it's not a high-exertion trip at all, so not to worry. It's parrot-watching on St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and Dominica (each island has its own species of Amazon parrot not found anywhere else in the world, all endangered), with some whale-watching and lying on the beach thrown in for good measure.

Lacy 35 and Chris 35, DS Jakob 2, and EDD 1/1/11
#11 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamanda View Post
me too!!!
So funny! We are actually going to visit Moreland, ID to see some family.
#12 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 PM

I wish. There's no way on Earth we'd be able to afford even a day trip out of town.
#13 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 11:20 PM

I wish!

Right now I hope to go to the bathroom alone at some point before the baby is born.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#14 of 15 Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 PM

we did with our first. it was just a long weekend at a b&b when i was 8 mon along.not sure if we can this time. ds will only be 16mon, and ew still nurse.not sure if he will be weaned or if i can be away from him overnight.

i highly recommend it. even just a weekend trip.
#15 of 15 Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM

I wish, but with dh's new job, he won't be getting any time off (except for the holiday) until the race season starts back up again in March, and by then I think it would be cutting things too close.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page