Anyone planning to eat your placenta? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 12-07-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jolie- checkout the article in the first post and the websites people have added-that'll answer your questions.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd do it- IF someone else prepared it for me in the pill form. That doesn't seem nasty at all. But, I can't really see that happening. My DH totally understands the benefits, but can't help but feel incredibly sqeamish about the fact you are ingesting a human body part-we are technically talking cannabalism here, afterall. I just don't think I can ask that of him. We're not talking about a dude with a strong stomach here.

I didn't have PPD last time, but I suffer from depression on a daily basis and still take Zoloft for it. I wouldn't be able to get out of bed otherwise! So it couldn't hurt as an insurance policy...
#32 of 58 Old 12-07-2007, 01:58 PM

just to save confusion, it's Aviva Jill Romm. i just went nuts looking for ava romm, etc., and finally found it's Aviva. no biggie, but just saving any fellow googlers the confusion.
#33 of 58 Old 12-07-2007, 02:03 PM

you better believe i'm eating it. and what i don't consume within the first couple days i will be drying.
#34 of 58 Old 12-07-2007, 02:16 PM

You must share a recipe. How about Placenta Fajitas? GROSS...I don't eat meat, so this is pretty gross for me anyhow.
#35 of 58 Old 12-07-2007, 03:46 PM

I was going to say no, but now I'm totally interested in the pill form. I just don't know if DH is going to be able to handle this...he pretty much begged me to just leave the placenta there. He's compromised so much (I like to think because his ideas were wrong, but that sounds a bit harsh when I type it out!) that I hate to push him anymore than I have to...I'm afraid his head may explode one of these days!
#36 of 58 Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanyh View Post
just to save confusion, it's Aviva Jill Romm. i just went nuts looking for ava romm, etc., and finally found it's Aviva. no biggie, but just saving any fellow googlers the confusion.
I'm sorry
I guess I could have waddled over to my bookshelf and looked up the proper spelling, but no, had to rely on the fading memory again!
#37 of 58 Old 12-08-2007, 09:58 AM

I can't even really see myself looking at my placenta... let alone eating it. I might could do it in pill form, but I know DH wouldn't go near it, so that's out. However, kudos to all who can and do. It is definitely something to be respected.
I did want to throw in... I'm planning an HBAC, so this won't apply to me... but if you are delivering in a hospital with a burn unit or one who is affiliated with one, you may want to inquire about your placenta being used there. They can make some kind of medicine for burn victims out of it. I think that would be an awesome way to utilize a special piece of you and your baby... to help another.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#38 of 58 Old 12-08-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
I did last time. We dehydrated it and made "Power" Pills (ground it up to a powder and filled capsules). Dh called them my p pills or power pills because my parents would have freaked if they knew what I had placed in their fridge (we visited them for the holidays and I was still taking them). I really think it helped me recover a lot faster and probably prevented ppd (which I fully expected to set in, considering dh lost his job just a week and a half after ds was born and our lives sort of were in a downward spiral for a bit). I'd like to work up the courage to actually eat it this time as I know how incredibly powerful it is. Not sure if I'll do a smoothie or cook it (I've heard that smoothies are the way to go. You can actually feel all the energy you used up during birth come back in your body). I'm going to need all the help I can get once this one is earthside!!! I can hardly keep up with my boys right now I can't imagine what it's going to be like once there are three kids under my care... I only have **TWO** hands!:
I just spoke to my midwife and she know of someone that offers placenta-pill-making services. She said it's expensive though. Funny thing is that the idea is also featured on an awesome blog called jezebel. Check it out: http://jezebel.com/gossip/family-foo...ert-330179.php

I plan to look into further. I am curious if dehydrating it eliminates the effectiveness, I can't bare to think of eating it in natural form. When you read the article, look at the comments. Apparently some nurses used to fight over it, they would rub it on their hands because it made their skin super smooth.
#39 of 58 Old 12-08-2007, 08:04 PM

It took me a while to even look at this thread as I'm still suffering from puking and nausea . Anyways just the idea makes me sick-I can almost guarantee that seeing the placenta will make me puke. Part of me wants my little man cleaned up before I even hold him and part doesn't just because I want to see him right after as long as everything goes ok. All I know is DH will be with him absolutely every moment he is away from me but I have a weak stomach to even think that anyone would want to eat something so yucky looking. If you can do it more power to ya. Not trying to offend anyone at all-just saying I won't...

Ashley-wife of a grad student. Homeschooling, CDing, knitting mommy of Monkey 4/08 and Kangaroo 1/11 with 3 angels waiting in heaven
Hyena cart WAH mama!

#40 of 58 Old 12-09-2007, 03:55 AM

I've heard of people blending pieces of it into a smoothie, and I think I might be able to stomach it that way.
#41 of 58 Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 AM

i'm now considering consuming a small part raw or in smoothie form and drying the rest. i can't believe the 180 i've done on this this pregnancy. i just don't want to feel like i felt last time ... do you think swallowing a small piece whole will work? i don't want to have to chew it ... that'd send me over the edge.
#42 of 58 Old 12-10-2007, 09:32 PM

I'm actually super-creeped out by it. No problem with other people that do it, but I just can't fathom it. I might keep it, but no idea what I would do with it as we live with my parents and have no place to plant anything. I could totally see the coyotes coming and digging it up...

Jen D>

Messianic mama to 3 boys, C (4 yrs), E (22 mths), B (newborn)
#43 of 58 Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanyh View Post
i'm now considering consuming a small part raw or in smoothie form and drying the rest. i can't believe the 180 i've done on this this pregnancy. i just don't want to feel like i felt last time ... do you think swallowing a small piece whole will work? i don't want to have to chew it ... that'd send me over the edge.
It's taken me three pregnancies to finally come around. We saved my first in the freezer but with all our moving around, never were able to plant it. I actually forget what we did with it. The second one we dehydrated and with this one I will swallow a piece whole... quickly. Then have a little more in a smoothie, maybe like a raspberry or strawberry smoothie.

A note on planting placentas: Be sure you dig a very deep hole and that the roots of whatever you plant don't touch the placenta. It's a very hormonal organ and will kill the plant/tree if it's too close.
#44 of 58 Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm debating it. It's either that or a Lotus birth, but I think I won't be able to make a decision until "game time" ie when the placenta is out. If it looks unusually appealing then :

and my partner, though 1000% supportive, thinks I am gross. And by that, I mean, he says don't expect him to eat any of it...

But I've been reading up, and the more I read the more I am thinking of eating it. And what's funny is I am vegan but I don't have any qualms about munching down on the placenta, especially with all the touted benefits. Reduce bleeding, help contract the uterus, promote a good milk ejection reflex, etc etc.

The reason I was thinking of a Lotus birth, is more of an emotional healing thing since my son's birth went so out of control (Managed "Vaginal" delivery in a hospital )

I like this thread
#45 of 58 Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 PM

Only if I started hemoraging...

Orthodox Mama
#46 of 58 Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveblac View Post
I'm debating it. It's either that or a Lotus birth...
We're discussing the possibility of a lotus birth.
From what I've read the benefits of eating the placenta are to prevent hemorrhaging and ppd- right? Neither are a concern for me so I think the lotus birth makes more sense for us. I was all about considering consuming the placenta but I don't think I need those *benefits*- make sense?

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#47 of 58 Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 AM

This is a trend I likely won't be participating in. I did too much reading about prion diseases to ever want to eat anything human. I wouldn't want to risk willful exposure to a TSE. If there were some way to test the placenta for the existance of prion particles, then maybe....
#48 of 58 Old 01-03-2008, 02:39 AM

What are prion particles and TSE?
#49 of 58 Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 AM

Yes I am, I had suffered from PPD in the past and I am NOT going through that again. I have taken antidepressants for most of my life and they do not work for me. I personally do not think it is gross, not like you are eating a finger or an internal organ.:
#50 of 58 Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 AM

You know, when DD was born the midwives asked us if we wanted to save the placenta and I thought they were crazy! I had absolutely no interest in it - thought it had served its purpose, IYKWIM.

This time around I'm honestly considering saving it and consuming it.

I haven't yet decided what form that might take. Could do a smoothie for right after the birth and then might dry and encapsulate the rest.

I just hear so many stories of BTDT mamas who did consume the placenta and had fewer postpartum issues with energy, hormones, etc.
#51 of 58 Old 01-03-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
What are prion particles and TSE?
A TSE is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy. A prion is the infectious particle that causes a TSE. Examples of TSE include mad cow (BSE), Kuru, and CJD.

So far, there are no cures for these diseases because of the revolutionary nature of the infecting agent: the prion (it is mostly protein - some say all protein, but it is able to duplicate so scientists wonder if it might contain an undetectable trace of nucleic acid). TSE's are brain matter deteriorative and cognition degenerative diseases. Autopsies of people and animals infected with these diseases show brain matter with holes burrowed through it (this is where the term spongiform comes from - like sponge). The prognosis is always escalating cognitive dysfunction ending in death.

There is some speculation as to how these diseases originated. No one really knows. Some think they may be linked to a genetic mutation long ago. But the fact that it is exhibited in multiple species makes a genetic mutative link less plausible. What IS a definite connecting factor as to the occurrence and spread of these diseases across multiple species, is the existence of some form of cannibalistic practice in each species individually. For all researchers know, the first occurrence could have originated from the practice of placentophagy. There's just no way to know.

The prion disease Kuru is thought to have originated in Papua New Guinea among tribes who ritually ate the brains of their deceased but since the bovine variant of the diseases became widely studied, it was found that infection can be passed through eating blood, marrow, blood meal, and other parts of the body.

For me personally, for those reasons, cannibalism is just not something I want to mess around with, regardless of what temporary benefits the practice may offer.
#52 of 58 Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Not in your ddc, but I'm definately thinking about it this time around. I think I could manage a smoothie - and we'll have to see if I'm up for encapsulating. I don't think my dh would do it - he's a vegetarian, and I think he'd be a little grossed out. Really, all I'd have to do is cut it up - I'm sure he'd do the rest. Maybe my sister would do it - she is due four monthes before me - we could swap encapuslation.
#53 of 58 Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 PM

This is not something I will do. No freaking way. However, eveblac, I don't see anything odd about being vegan and still considering it. I mean, sure, it's an animal product, but since you're the animal in question, you can give yourself consent to eat it, you know what I mean?

I'm vegetarian, but refusing to eat the placenta doesn't come from an ethical standpoint for me; it comes from an "ew, gross!" standpoint for me. I can't even look at pictures of placentas, and this freaking placenta made me so effing sick for the first 13 weeks while I was growing it, that I really just want it completely out of me, no matter what.

Now if hubby gets all sentimental about the placenta (which I can't imagine) and wants to slap it in a tupperware, take it home, and plant it in the yard, that's okay by me. But that is where my relationship with this organ ends.
#54 of 58 Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I'll be capsulising.

When I first came across the 'eating placenta' concept on MDC, I came very close to throwing up (first trimester, in my defense!). I told DH about it, in a 'You wouldn't BELIEVE what some wacky people do!' kind of way, and to my surprise he said 'Oh, well, that's kinda gross, but you are prone to depression... why not?' It took me a while to get from the 'I wish I could' stage to the 'Actually, I think I'm gonna do this!' stage, but here I am. I really doubt I'll be able to eat it--I wish I had the oomph for at least one smoothie, but I have grave doubts on the matter. But in capsule form? I don't find that particularly gross.

DH did blanch a little when I told him we'd have to do it ourselves, as nobody in my city does that kind of thing (AFAIK). But to his eternal credit, he gulped and said 'Well sweetie, if you give me instructions...' Truly, a man worth his weight in gold.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#55 of 58 Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikag View Post
For me personally, for those reasons, cannibalism is just not something I want to mess around with, regardless of what temporary benefits the practice may offer.
Thanks for this..very informative. I could see how it would be a concern if you were eating random placenta from someone else...But how would it work exactly eating your OWN?
#56 of 58 Old 01-04-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takasmom View Post
Thanks for this..very informative. I could see how it would be a concern if you were eating random placenta from someone else...But how would it work exactly eating your OWN?
That's a good question. I'm not exactly sure. But I would imagine that since the genetic differences between individuals of the same species are trivial in the grand scheme of genetics, that there would still be a significant risk involved.

The deciding factor for me, is the fact that to my knowledge individuals of a particular species are not designed to consume themselves or others of the same species - and the existence of TSE's (and the fact that they share cannibalism in common) is proof of that. The risk factor that seems to be common across the board is that the amount of genetic variation between the individual consuming and the individual consumed must be small (i.e., the same species) - which is why there aren't reports of the diseases jumping across species barriers unless the individual consumed is already infected, while the origination of the disease within a species is sporadic, unexplained, and only solidly linked to the incidence of cannibalism.

It is also quite disturbing that the diseases have only yet been seen in mammals. One distinctive characteristic that most mammals share, is the utilization of a placenta in ontogeny.

By the same token though, the placenta is formed of the same sperm and egg that form the fetus, so if genetic variation is a significant risk increasing factor, then there may be just enough variation (because of the genetic component formed of the sperm cell) to increase the risk. It would be roughly the genetic equivalent to eating the embryo - who is genetically, a completely separate individual.

Additionally, if by chance genetic variation does increase risk, then I would be less likely to offer it to my husband, siblings, or friends.
#57 of 58 Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Good point about the placenta containing genetic material about the father. I hadn't thought about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikag
The deciding factor for me, is the fact that to my knowledge individuals of a particular species are not designed to consume themselves or others of the same species
Don't most mammals eat their placenta?
#58 of 58 Old 01-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Don't most mammals eat their placenta?
It is true that some do.

But mammals are a relatively recent addition to the world species population in terms of evolution. I don't know how long mammals have been practicing placentophagy, but I wonder how and if it corresponds with the incidence of TSE's.

The first known (18th century) form of TSE is scrapie, which is the varient of the disease that affects sheep - exclusively herbivorous mammals except perhaps, for the practice of placentophagy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page