Low Blood Pressure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else have this? It is supposed to be pretty common in T2.

I woke up to the room spinning last Friday, so I stayed home with my feet up. I was pretty woozy all weekend and am still easily tired. Today my doctor confirmed it is low blood pressure. My regular pressure is 118 and today it was 102.

She said adding a bit more salt to my diet and drinking lots of fluids will help. Other than that, I just have to be careful to get up slowly. Standing for long periods is tough for me too, so at least I don't feel guilty about not doing the dishes now It's supposed to ease off as I reach T3.

I think low iron is a contributing factor as well, so I started taking Floradix. I showed it to my doctor and she had no objections, and I'm going to get another blood test just to check my levels.

Anyone else dealing with low blood pressure? I'm just so thankful it's low pressure I'm dealing with, and not high blood pressure.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#2 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 03:49 PM

Yes. I was getting woozy if I walked too briskly, and almost fainted twice. My BP has always been low and still is. You are right - better too low than too high! Everything you are doing is what I'm doing, per the advice of mammas here. I have added sea salt to my juice / water combo drinks, which is what I used to do after a good workout (not had one of those in months now!). Take it easy and you should be okay!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#3 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 PM

I've always had low blood pressure. 102/55 is my normal and I've noticed a lot more 'symptoms' of it lately - when I get up too quickly etc. so I think its dropping even lower now.

I know any nutritional recommendation related to salt is always a hot topic, but if you do decide to add salt, try and add sea salt or another "real" salt. The anti-caking agents in table salt are really icky for you -- you just don't want to add extra.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#4 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM

Salt, Gatorade, and water help some what.

I dealt with this when pregnant with ds. It got to the point that if I didn't get it up and keep it up they were going to throw my butt in the hosptial till they figured it out.

I'm telling ya... Gatorade and Salt! My pressure was down at 90/50 on good days! It was great the day the nurse was taking my blood pressure and watched it drop like that (I was sitting down the whole time) she said I turned really pale and someone walking by the room looked in and started asking questions too. They had me lay down until the doc could see me and had the lab come to me

I've been doing better with it this time thankfully. I still black out and such but no where near as bad as with my last two pregnancies. (any time I stood up for longer than 2 mins) I've also been taking it a lot easier this time and not pushing myself to do stuff.

So my house is a mess and I don't go shopping... and if I do I sit down in the floor or shelf in the middle of the aisle if need be.

Propel is better than reg gatorade... no dyes... If you are like me the dyes mess with your tummy.
#5 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 PM

Mines never over a 100 either when the nurse or midwife check it. But I haven't had ANY of the symptoms you ladies talk about. Yuck for you!
#6 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 PM

what is your diastolic pressure? That's usually the more indicative one. My bp is consistently between the range of 115-126/60-72. but my dizziness went away sometime in early november.
#7 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 08:20 PM

Mine is always pretty low, but the last time I went to the ob it was 100/50 which was way low for me. I had been dealing with really awful headaches and dizzyness, but it seems to be getting better. Now, it seems that I have traded the headaches for heartburn. Yeah!
#8 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 PM

Mine is pretty low as well. Usually 112-115/54-64, although last time I was at the OB, it was 102/54. I've been having problems with dizziness and my OB also recommended drinking more fluids. I've also switched my breakfast to all protein (eggs, turkey bacon and toast with peanut butter) and this has helped me enormously.
#9 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 PM

me me me!! i naturally have low blood pressure 9it runs in the family and i'm vegan too) its starting to affect me this pregnancy already. the otehr day i got out of breath then shaky and then couldnt get off the floor, i have to eat somethign super salty and drink lots of water to feel better.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#10 of 14 Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

She didn't mention the diastolic pressure, so I just figured it was significant to the dizzy spells... oh well!

It's tough trying to keep up fluid intake and eat well these days, with all the Christmas parties and shopping - Wednesday night I didn't even get a supper, then last night we didn't eat until 8PM because of some shopping that had to be done for today. I was freaking exhausted and dying to sit down by the time we got home...

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#11 of 14 Old 12-21-2007, 12:08 PM

I always have low blood pressure. Normally it's 100/50, when I'm pregnant it's 110/70. I'm frequently dizzy but I guess I'm just used to it now.
People always automatically assume I'd have high blood pressure because I'm fat. :

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#12 of 14 Old 12-21-2007, 12:46 PM

My normal blood pressure is around 120/70, and in pregnancy it has gone down to an average of 90/60. However, this pregnancy I haven't seen it go down as low as I have expected. The lowest reading so far has been 95/68, but just once and mostly it's around 112-118/70-80.

Seems weird to me that I would have a history of low blood pressure in pregnancy, but now what to me is "high" is actually in the normal range! Must be my advanced maternal age... hardy-har-har!
#13 of 14 Old 12-21-2007, 04:26 PM

my normal is 98/58 on average. i just picked some numbers there. It has remained there through both my pregnanices thus far.
But i just drink lots of water and salt is good...hope you feel better soon!
#14 of 14 Old 12-21-2007, 05:18 PM

Mine was 90/55 at my last appointment. It's always low, though. That's on the low end of my typical range. I have fainted a few times in my life and come close on a few other occasions, all when I was forced by some sort of social pressure to remain standing. However, early in this pregnancy I had a near-fainting experience while sitting down. That was really strange for me, as it's never happened before.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page