Hypnobabies support/motivation thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 109 Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just stumbled upon this and am so excited for you all I just had to post. You will LOVE Hypnobabies! I had an amazing, incredible, wonderful birth, and I know you will, too! Don't worry about other people's "horror stories"... that's their body, their baby, and their attitude, which couldn't be more different from YOUR body, YOUR baby, and YOUR attitude!

I took a class instead of doing the home course, but I would be happy to answer any questions y'all may have. And I will definitely cheer you on!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#92 of 109 Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM

Soo umm is hypnobabies the same as hypnobirthing ???????

hola.gif
#93 of 109 Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post
Soo umm is hypnobabies the same as hypnobirthing ???????
No. My Hypnobabies instructor actually took hypnobirthing for her first child but felt it didn't have enough tools/techniques for birthing day, so that's when she switched to hypnobabies. I have also heard a lot more successful hypnobabies stories than hypnobirthing stories. However, they are very similar, especially in initial approach.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#94 of 109 Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM

Is everyone practicing? Now that dh is back from his out of town work I find it difficult to listen to my cd's I am on class 5 but I can't get the cd's listened to.

I have been practicing the finger drop technique and center switch though and it seems to work great when it doesn't make me fall asleep.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#95 of 109 Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 AM

Is anyone else having difficulty with this?

I love listening to the CDs as they are super relaxing for me which is great as I am so high-strung. They always put me to sleep unless I listen to them sitting up which I have the opportunity to do a few times...mostly my only time to practice is at night before bed. The program has also helped with my confidence and my focus and positive attitude but there a little things that I feel I am not doing right or doesn't match up with my crazy mind...

So my problem is I don't feel like I have a switch. Yes once the CD is on I am comfy and relaxed but I don't feel like I'm off in the sense that when she says test yourself...I know I CAN move so I don't test myself b/c I know I'll move and "fail" the test. Am I someone who is just either ON or CENTER? I'm okay with that but is anyone else like that or am I a hypnobabies loser?

Additionally, I can't visualize a bubble so I can never make it stronger like she suggests...I end up just telling myself I have a bubble even though I can't visualize it and I'm a very visual person.

Also for those that other children...when you are imagining yourself in your special place with your baby, does your baby end up being your already born children? I try to imagine myself holding my "inside" baby but it only lasts for a few seconds and then the baby turns into Jack and I just see images of us when he was little. I don't know if that has to do with the fact that Jack is still a baby 14m so there isn't enough distance or what.

I know a big part practicing 5 times a day but I truly don't know how to do that. How do you working women do it? I am a teach so I am "on" all day aside from lunch...it is not like I can sneak a few minutes in my cubby to self-hypnotize to practice...what do you all do?

I am loving this program but I feel I need some suggestions to improve my progress...

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#96 of 109 Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 PM

so im on week two of the course and i dont know if this is mere coincidence because my due date inches closer, but just recently anytime i think about birth or if anyone asks me if im ready, i have no fear or anxiety creep over me whatsoever like before! actually the total opposite is happening, i feel relaxed, excited, confident about the whole thing, actually looking forward to it.

anyone else experience this shift while taking the course?
#97 of 109 Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

I totally feel that ability to block out fears a lot more. I am going to write more later but I have to go make dinner! Hope everyone is doing well.

BlueIrises-

I don't always feel "off" when I am off either...but I keep telling myself that as long as I keep practicing, my switch WILL be off in my birthing time. I do remember, at first, thinking "I can move if I want to" but then it kinda hit me....you CHOOSE to make your switch off, and you choose to let everything go limp and lazy...like the cds say. I guess once I grasped that choice, it really helped me be totally "off"

hope that helps!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#98 of 109 Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 PM

Hey Mamas!

Just thought I'd post this video that I found on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA7Y_DnC_kA

I've been struggling with the same problems -- falling asleep listening to tracks, not sure if my switch is 'off', getting itchy/uncomfortable/etc when my switch is off/center. *sigh*

I also realized that I'm putting WAY too much pressure on myself about hypnobaby'ing. I tried to use Hypnobabies last time but never got through it (went into labor early) and was so frustrated that I feel it actually made the situation worse so now I'm just focusing on using Hypnobabies to relax me but I'm not relying on it 100%... if that makes sense. (I find that the further along I get in this pregnancy, the less sense I make -- my husband laughs at me all the time.)

So if you don't try so hard, it might make it easier to relax, turn off your switch, etc. Like the affirmations say, no matter how you 'feel', just know that your switch is off. Don't think about it, just know that it's true.
#99 of 109 Old 03-13-2008, 03:09 AM

Hi! I'm new here. I can't believe it took me this long to find mothering.com!

I'm a hypnomom, too. We're in week 2 of an instructor led class. I'm liking it so far, but I've also had doubts creep in for the first time recently. I think it's because last night the instructor had our birth partner "test" us by pinching our arms while we were making anesthesia and I felt it all three times. I was so confident that I wouldn't that it was a real letdown to feel discomfort.

I'm trying to take that as just meaning that I need more practice. Plus it wasn't the *best* hypnosis session for me (instructor kept coughing, was in a strange place, etc.). I just don't think my hypnosis was as deep as it could/should have been.

I'm listening to my scripts a lot at night, too.

To the PP who had trouble finding their special place - me too! I sort of just gave up "trying" to find a place and let a place come to mind, but it's really strange (in my head it is at least). But I guess if that is what my mind wants I should give it what it wants. I don't know. Maybe it will change as my guess date approaches.

Wow, this ended up being a long post for my intention of just being a "drop in and say hi" one.
#100 of 109 Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Whenever I have used directing my anesthesia recently when I have been in discomfort (back, feet, etc) I have still been able to feel the sensation of the discomfort...but it is alleviated and not the center of my concentration anymore. DOes that make sense?

I am not anticipating a pain free birth...but i feel like my anesthesia will help the discomfort become something in the background, which immediately makes me feel more comfortable.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#101 of 109 Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

well, we are all getting close!!

Well, I don't feel that way since I'm due somewhere around the 28-30th of April!

How is practice going?'

I am really feeling ready. I have been doing my CDs everyday for months now, affirmations everyday...practicing and practicing...and, in the last few weeks, I have really felt my anesthesia flowing when I turn my light switch off. I can't begin to tell you how much it helped me last weekend when I had wjat I think was food poisoning...I had the shakes so bad but my hypnobabies allowed me to relax when nothing else would and I actually got some sleep.

I think my favorite affirmation right now is:

"I will stay centered and balanced in my birthing time"

#102 of 109 Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 PM

i just cant seem to stay awake long enough through the scripts. i guess maybe i shouldnt lay down while listening to it. i know it says you still get benefits while asleep but id feel better if i was awake during at least one of each script session. when do you listen to your scripts and in what position, laying down, sitting in a chair?? i listen to my affirmations everyday during lunchtime.
#103 of 109 Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have three positions I use for listening to CDs:

Laying down-- I open the shades (and sometimes a window too for fresh air) and put the lights on to keep me more awake.

Sitting up in bed- supported by pillows (same way of keeping windows open to keep me more awake)

Sitting on birth ball with head on pillow on the bed (like in the workbook)

#104 of 109 Old 03-20-2008, 04:21 PM

My favorite affirmation right now is
"Babies are born on their birthdays, not when doctors decide."
It always makes me smile.

I've yet to stay awake all the way through "Painless childbirth," something about that one puts me out!

I'm hoping the baby stays put long enough for us to make it through the whole class (3 more to go). He should, but you never know...
#105 of 109 Old 03-20-2008, 05:21 PM

Hi everyone...the slacker is checking in. I have been really bad these past two weeks and have hardly done any practicing. I've been so side-tracked with other things and my toddler that I'm just passing out at night.

Last night I went full stream into nesting mode. Today I had off from work and felt really sick all day...not sure if I just don't feel well or if I am having BHC or real ones. I have a doc appt tonight for my GBS test which I am not wanting to do but I do want to know if I am having contractions.

I don't feel ready...I need to stay PG fro 3 more weeks!

I'm bringing my affirmations with me to the doctor and tonight I am planning on doing yoga ball sitting while listening to my CD.

I feel pretty uncomfy in the lower part of my belly which is so different from how my contractions started with Jack...it was more like a heat wave that started from my ribs and rolled down my belly...I don't know...maybe I have gas or something I just feel yucky.

Well I'm off to the doctor...hope to hear everything is closed for business for a bit longer...I need to start practicing again!

Hope all is well with everyone!

#106 of 109 Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 PM

Have you thought about doing your scripts while you go to sleep? My hypnobabies instructor told me that was fine as long as you have listened to it during an ideal time (when you are less likely to fall asleep) at least once. You sound like you're in maintenance, so maybe that would work for you.
#107 of 109 Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 PM

The CDs worked! I had my natural, drug-free birth! ...although I did beg for them at one point...

We are so excited to announce the arrival of our second child, Liam Gregory. He was born on Thursday, April 3, 2008 @ 5:56 pm. He weighed in at 7 lbs. 5 oz. & 20¾ in. long. Perfectly healthy!!! My labor with Liam was actually quite short (only 15 hours), especially when compared to my labor with Jack (58 hours). We almost had a homebirth as we arrived at the hospital about an hour and a half before Liam was born. My contractions began (for real) around 1 am. I spent most of the day just lying on the couch listening to my Hypnobabies CDs and trying to relax between contractions. My biggest concern this time around was resting and having the strength to endure the labor process. I was totally surprised by how exhausting labor is when I had Jack and it was exhaustion, not pain, that caused me to ask for the epidural with Jack. I really wanted to be successful with a natural, drug-free birth this time. I took a bath and a couple of showers when the pain was too much. We set up both carseats in the car around 3ish and then went for a walk to try to move my labor along. I was feeling quite discouraged as I didn’t think I was progressing quickly. Everything I had read about contractions and the later stage of labor said I wouldn’t be able to talk through them. Although several times I did cry through them, I was never really in uncontrollable pain. But again I think I cried more because I was feeling discouraged than anything. The pain I was having didn’t even seem as bad as my first labor so that is why I thought I wasn’t progressing. We called the doctor right after our walk around 3:30 and she wanted us to come in and just get checked since my contractions were 5-7 mins apart and this was my second child. We got to the office around 4ish. I prayed the whole way she would say 4 cm…please don’t say 1 cm as what happened the first time. I had a few bad contractions there while she checked me. 8-9cm! WHAT!? Are you kidding me? I started crying. I couldn’t believe I was that far along. She sent me upstairs and I was admitted. My contractions got pretty bad. I really only felt comfortable lying partially on my side…not a good position for birthing. Everyone was trying to get me to start pushing but I couldn’t relax my body enough. I was begging for drugs…I just couldn’t get my legs to relax; they were all clinched and tense. My doctor told me it was too late…all I remember is asking for just a little bit, not the whole dose…just something to take the edge off…I laugh now b/c I sounded like a crackhead. This went on for what felt like an eternity but at most it was 15 minutes. Then all of a sudden my body took over and the baby just started coming out all on his own. It was the most alien feeling b/c I felt like I had no control; it was just this unbelievably overwhelming need to go to the bathroom. Then three pushes later, Liam was born and I finally heard the words…“It’s a…boy!” I am so happy.

Jack is really great with his little brother. He loves to give him kisses and “gentle” touches although his touches are far from gentle. He gets upset sometimes when he is tired and he wants to be held by whoever is holding Liam. But mostly he is adjusting well.

Breastfeeding is going okay. He has a very shallow latch that we are trying to correct. He has ripped me up pretty good but it is not nearly as painful as it was with Jack. I’m hoping by the weekend we will be all set and Liam will be a pro.

Well here are some pics…
http://www.babyhomepages.net/babyb2/index.php

#108 of 109 Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I was just going to bump this thread to see if any of our hypno moms had their babes yet!!!!

congratulations and happy birthday Liam!!

I've switched over to listening to my birth day affirmations since I'm over 37 weeks and ready to go whenever the babe is! I really think this program has already worked for me....when I get practice waves, I am filled with joy instead of fear. I already feel my body welcoming the pressure waves. I am excited about birthing!

#109 of 109 Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 PM

Just wanted to post that our baby was born on March 27th after a week of prodromal labor. I listened to hypnobabies throughout the week (although I was annoyed with the active labor cd because it wasn't making things happen any faster). When we arrived at the hospital we were pleasantly surprised that we were at 8cm. I didn't really want to listen to the cds because I wanted to move around and not feel attached to anything. The labor was really easy- especially in comparison to ds's birth. I think it was in large part because I knew how to relax through contractions*clears throat* pressure waves this time. The pushing was really really hard and I wonder if it would have been easier if I had listened to the pushing track but I couldn't be bothered to get the cd player sorted out.
I think hypnobabies is awesome- I've already passed it on to a friend who is expecting in July. I think the birth was amazing overall and I was talking about having the next one within 24 hours of dd's birth- if that's any indication of how well I felt the birth went

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page