Hypnobabies support/motivation thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 109 Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the Hypnobabies support and motivation thread!

Let's talk about our schedules and help each other stay motivated and practice.

And remember, let's stick with our hypnobabies vocab (for example: pressure wave instead of contraction)

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#2 of 109 Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 PM

I could use some motivation so I'm in!

I'm on week 3, but I started over 6 weeks ago!! When do you practice? I could be much better about practicing going into hypnosis 5x a day and the affirmations, but my real problem is carving out time to listen to a full script. DH plays sports a couple evenings a week, so that is time I use, other than that ... I don't know.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#3 of 109 Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post

I'm on week 3, but I started over 6 weeks ago!! When do you practice? I could be much better about practicing going into hypnosis 5x a day and the affirmations, but my real problem is carving out time to listen to a full script. DH plays sports a couple evenings a week, so that is time I use, other than that ... I don't know.
Not from your DDC but try doing the scripts at night when you go to bed. It's ok if you fall asleep a little. As long as you hear the script once all the way through you are good to go. GL with it mamas! I LOVED it and as you can tell from my siggie, it worked really well for me!

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#4 of 109 Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Practice time hasn't been a big issue for me just yet because I basically was on vacation for the whole time I've been doing this thus far. But now that we are back, I will definitely have to think about scheduling.

I listen to my affirmations while doing my workouts, which works well because I work out for 40 min and that's about how long the track is. I've added the kegels, butterfly stretch and pelvic tilts to my workout to get those in as well during that time.

I've been doing finger drop practice in the AM before getting out of bed and PM before sleep. I usually do a 30 second then 1 min then 2 min.

Now the actual full script practices I think I will have to do one of two things. On days like today when DH comes home for lunch, I will do them then. On other days I will have to either see if I can get him to watch the kids before dinner or something or just do them before bed. I find I don't fall asleep really if I have the light on while listening to them and do them RIGHT when the kids go to sleep because then it's only like 8:30ish and I'm not tooooo tired.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#5 of 109 Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

One thing I have found I really need to work on is staying in my bubble of peace and not letting those negative stories/thoughts about pregnancy and birth in.

Like tonight I went to martial arts and people were joking with me asking "when are you going to pop?" and using words like that ('drop the load' etcetc). Those words really irritate me, so I asked them not to use them...which became another joke...etcetc. So I need to work on being more forceful about this.

#6 of 109 Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 PM

I JUST ordered the book and CD on its way. I cannot wait to dive in... And seeing stories of ladies having good results... amazing...
#7 of 109 Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 PM

I'm a little further into the course because I was soooo excited when I first got it. I was addicted. I've since started student teaching and I'm finding it hard to practice. Often I do it before bed with the light still on and a couple hours later I wake up with earbuds still in- oops.
So I keep thinking I should stick with the lesson I'm on because I haven't practiced enough. That means I've been working on this session for over 3 weeks! I think it's time to move on...
I do listen to the affirmations more regularly because I can do them in the car on the way to school.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#8 of 109 Old 01-03-2008, 04:23 PM

I've just started on week 3 too. It definitely helps me sleep better, er, I mean hypnotic amnesia. for NINE hours. And I have even noticed that it helps with my killer heartburn--like if I lay down to do the CD, when I get up it will be better. It would be great to have others to help support one another and remind to practice. For now I am just doing it by myself and don't plan to involve DH. The extent of his involvement is he knows not to interrupt me when I lay down to do it. And I like it that way.
#9 of 109 Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Why don't I just make this thread a hypnobabies support thread? Then we can all just talk and motivate each other.

On DH involvement:

I am so torn on this. I have him reading over the scripts for him in the little handbook. But, ya see, he's not really into "hippie" stuff like this (what he calls it). And I KNOW he will do it for me...but i feel like I will sense his embarrassment and discomfort and it will affect my ability to relax.

So I haven't really decided yet. We are gonna try practicing together when I get to that point and see how it goes.

#10 of 109 Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM

YAY! I like that. Thanks for taking the initiative

I have a question: how do others feel like you are doing on creating/maintaining your "bubble of peace"? I find this really challenging. For example, even coming on MDC which is a great source for support, I sometimes find myself opening/reading threads that I would have rather not. How do you deal?

Q#2: When are you fitting in your affirmations today???
#11 of 109 Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by takasmom View Post
YAY! I like that. Thanks for taking the initiative

I have a question: how do others feel like you are doing on creating/maintaining your "bubble of peace"? I find this really challenging. For example, even coming on MDC which is a great source for support, I sometimes find myself opening/reading threads that I would have rather not. How do you deal?
YES YES YES I am having issues with this (mainly just yesterday). I searched hypnobabies in the birth stories area to read about some moms who used it and got a few that really bummed me out...and and kinda made me feel guilty for letting them into my bubble of peace

So I decided yesterday to really work on this. I posted earlier about my troubles with others using negative words at martial arts practice, so today I am going to talk more forcefully about that if it comes up.

As far as MDC goes...sadly...I have decided to stay away from the "birth and beyond" area unless I have a question I cannot get answered elsewhere.

Quote:
I am going to do 25 or so min of them while running on the treadmill and doing some pelvic tilts/other exercises and then the rest on the drive on the way to martial arts practice.

#12 of 109 Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
On DH involvement:

I am so torn on this. I have him reading over the scripts for him in the little handbook. But, ya see, he's not really into "hippie" stuff like this (what he calls it). And I KNOW he will do it for me...but i feel like I will sense his embarrassment and discomfort and it will affect my ability to relax.

So I haven't really decided yet. We are gonna try practicing together when I get to that point and see how it goes.
Sorry, just lurking (don't belong here as I'm due Mar and doing Hypnobirthing....) and wanted to post/comment on what you said. What you stated is exactly the problem I feel I'm bumping up against with my DH. He is willing and wants to help to be involved... but just knowing that inside he's thinking 'hogwash' as he reads a script to me (not to mention the monotone way he reads) is really really distracting. I almost want to say 'forget it... I'll do it myself'.
#13 of 109 Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Not from your DDC but try doing the scripts at night when you go to bed.
Oops, I should have mentioned that bedtime when DH is home is his/our time. I could give it up to have headphones in.. but ehh.. It's my favorite part of the day, and on good days, his as well I also fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, so it's not like I could start the CD's after we snuggle although I've tried it a few times. I mostly just wake up drooling on the diskman.

Quote:
I think I lost my affirmations CD We rearranged the living room to fit the Christmas tree and I haven't seen it since then. What a terrible hypno-babier I am! This support thread is just making me feeling guilty!

#14 of 109 Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 PM

I'm hoping to be able to snag this off Ebay soon. Dh should be getting a 401k check soon that might allow me to pay for it. Crossing my fingers that I can get it. The library here doesn't have anything like that
#15 of 109 Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oops, I should have mentioned that bedtime when DH is home is his/our time. I could give it up to have headphones in.. but ehh.. It's my favorite part of the day, and on good days, his as well I also fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, so it's not like I could start the CD's after we snuggle although I've tried it a few times. I mostly just wake up drooling on the diskman.

I think I lost my affirmations CD We rearranged the living room to fit the Christmas tree and I haven't seen it since then. What a terrible hypno-babier I am! This support thread is just making me feeling guilty!

Have you thought about waking up 30 min early? OK, I know that sounds horrible but maybe just try it every other day?

I hope you find your CD! maybe you can get a replacement? or I could send you a file...I mean, you did already pay for it...

#16 of 109 Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Have you thought about waking up 30 min early? OK, I know that sounds horrible but maybe just try it every other day?

I hope you find your CD! maybe you can get a replacement? or I could send you a file...I mean, you did already pay for it...

Heh. Actually. That's a really good idea. DH leaves for work about an hour before I have to be up. I don't know why I didn't think of that!

And thanks very much for the offer. If I don't find it soon I might take you up on it. I did definitely pay for it, and it is certainly somewhere around here.... Once Christmas is put away I'll be able to decide if its definitely lost....

MissAnnThrope -- Have you tried emailing them for a used copy? I hear sometimes they have them around. The only times I've seen it on ebay it was nearly full priced anyway Also, you might already know but the yahoo group has scripts you can read, record, and play back to yourself. Might be worth it if you want to get started.

#17 of 109 Old 01-04-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Heh. Actually. That's a really good idea. DH leaves for work about an hour before I have to be up. I don't know why I didn't think of that!

And thanks very much for the offer. If I don't find it soon I might take you up on it. I did definitely pay for it, and it is certainly somewhere around here.... Once Christmas is put away I'll be able to decide if its definitely lost....

MissAnnThrope -- Have you tried emailing them for a used copy? I hear sometimes they have them around. The only times I've seen it on ebay it was nearly full priced anyway Also, you might already know but the yahoo group has scripts you can read, record, and play back to yourself. Might be worth it if you want to get started.
I'll check that out. Thanks!
#18 of 109 Old 01-04-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

So when are you fitting in your practice today???

Have you used your light switch yet today?

Do you ever try using your peace cue for everyday pains? How does it work for you?

#19 of 109 Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
.....And I have even noticed that it helps with my killer heartburn--like if I lay down to do the CD, when I get up it will be better.
We are just getting over a bout of norovirus (I think) in this house. There was one night that I was up every hour to 1/2 hour running to the bathroom to dry heave- not fun. Around 3am I was so thirsty but scared to drink and throw it up. But I thought to try using the finger drop technique through the nausea and it worked! I was still up every 1/2hour to hour because I was thirsty but I was able to keep it down! woohoo hypnobabies. I think these tools are so helpful even without pregnancy- and I was definitely a skeptic before.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#20 of 109 Old 01-06-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

The weekend is definitely easier for practice!

Anybody every find they want to do more than one track a day . I get the urge but I don't because I'm trying to really follow the book but also I fear I might get burnout.

How's everyone else doing?

#21 of 109 Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Anybody ever find they want to do more than one track a day . I get the urge but I don't because I'm trying to really follow the book but also I fear I might get burnout.
Nope, one a day is more than enough for me (truthfully, more like every other day...)!

Where is everyone at this week? I have been on Week 3 for a while now so am moving on this week to #4.

My issue at the moment: for the first five minutes or so after I turn my light switch off, I suddenly get all wiggly!! Before I turn it off I DO relax and get comfortable and all but then the moment I turn it off I kind of panic that I am not supposed to move at all. So...then I end up turning it back on two or three times just to readjust. I think I am getting better about this with practice. But, am I just weird?!?
#22 of 109 Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nope, one a day is more than enough for me (truthfully, more like every other day...)!

Where is everyone at this week? I have been on Week 3 for a while now so am moving on this week to #4.

My issue at the moment: for the first five minutes or so after I turn my light switch off, I suddenly get all wiggly!! Before I turn it off I DO relax and get comfortable and all but then the moment I turn it off I kind of panic that I am not supposed to move at all. So...then I end up turning it back on two or three times just to readjust. I think I am getting better about this with practice. But, am I just weird?!?
I had that problem today...I decided to try out doing a track on my birth ball (using the position they picture in the book.) But I would be comfy then turn my switch off and want to move my hand or foot

I have to do this a lot with practice when I get to the two minutes, too...but I find it is more of a problem for me at night than in the mornings...maybe just pent up tension from throughout the day.

#23 of 109 Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

I def think it will get better with practice...also with the center position switch, which I haven't done yet but I start tomorrow. I kinda put off moving on but I'm ready now. So I start week 3 tomorrow!

#24 of 109 Old 01-06-2008, 09:51 PM

I didn't think this would be me- but I keep falling asleep! No matter what day it is.
So I was stuck on week 3 (I think it was) for about 4 weeks. I've given up hearing the self anesthesia track (or whatever it's called). Hopefully my subconscious mind picked up all the important stuff!

#25 of 109 Old 01-07-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

So I learned eyes open childbirth hypnosis today, and it was pretty amazing. I haven't tried on my own yet, but it worked really well during the session. I'm thinking, at this point, I kinda like the idea of turning my switch off during pressure waves as opposed to moving around during them, but ya never know!

I also got a birth ball and have been practicing my finger drop while using the ball. It's really comfy! I'm kinda disappointed I never got one for my other births.

#26 of 109 Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone up to the point of moving around during open eyes childbirth hypnosis?

Ive done a few practice sessions on the birth ball, kinda rocking a bit during eyes open but am not to the point of actually standing up yet.

#27 of 109 Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 PM

I'm not moving around yet. It works really really well for me just sitting, and I'm afraid to break it

I over-did it this weekend with the cleaning and exercising and got myself really sore. I'm loving my center switch and the chest to knees anesthesia. It's amazing how well it can work and I'm thinking I'd like to learn or practice more medical hypnosis that I can use in my every day life once this is over. It seems really valuable.

#28 of 109 Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
So I learned eyes open childbirth hypnosis today, and it was pretty amazing. I haven't tried on my own yet, but it worked really well during the session. I'm thinking, at this point, I kinda like the idea of turning my switch off during pressure waves as opposed to moving around during them, but ya never know!

I also got a birth ball and have been practicing my finger drop while using the ball. It's really comfy! I'm kinda disappointed I never got one for my other births.
Hey that's great! Is eyes open the week 3? The reason I ask is because I can't make it through this week's track without dozing off so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Sounds really good though, esp. on the ball!
#29 of 109 Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 PM

Yup it's week 3. Most of the description is in the reading -- I don't think I've made it through either track without falling asleep myself. The last thing i remember is counting backwards from 100, and I don't even know if there is anything more on the CD

I keep stalling on this week even though I should move on because I want to find a time to listen sitting up with my eyes open so that I'm sure I know what they say on a conscious level.

#30 of 109 Old 01-10-2008, 02:47 AM

I need to join! I borrowed my friend's hypnobabies set, but unfortunately she is missing 4 of the cds So I think I'm going to have to buy a new one since I don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for a used one. At least I can hopefully sell it back afterward. I really think this will help me, my last birth I was extremely unrelaxed

:::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page