Surveying pushing positions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies! I've got a friend who is about to give birth any day and is trying very hard to learn more about having a natural birth. Both of her last two were rough, and I've been really trying to encourage alternative methods to her and help her learn to trust her body. She wants to avoid laying flat on her back to push. At 200lbs, 6ft, and with a husband who had bad hips, she thinks that squatting with support would be really hard on her partner. What has worked well for you ladies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-18-2008, 08:18 PM

Really I think just being aware of the different positions and their pros/cons and going with what feels good is the best way to go. In my last labor I ended up either standing up leaning over the bathroom counter or sitting on the toilet. Most definitely not what I thought would feel right! My ds had a big head and I think that my body needed me in that upright position. I would try to avoid laying on my back or semi reclined though, as that can really compress the pelvis and you have to work against gravity. I've had friends that have delivered standing, squatting in a tub, on hands and knees, lying on their sides, etc and all done well. I think it is best to encourage her to listen to her body but be aware of helping open up the pelvis and using gravity to your advantage. HTH!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#3 of 9 Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 PM

My last two labors I pushed on my side, which worked really well.
#4 of 9 Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 PM

I think it is interesting to know, too.

For my first I squatted hugging the mattress of the hospital bed which was in the upright position. (they wouldn't let me get off the bed, and that is what felt comfortable)

For my second, I used a birthing stool (here's a link with a pic: http://www.birthwithsol.com/birthstool1.html). The midwife placed it next to the bed, my husband sat on the bed and I sat between his knees on the stool. It was fabulous support, I would like to use it this time around as well.

One other recommendation is one of those large pilates balls, I sat on that the whole labor until I felt the urge to push and moved to the stool. That ball is a must, because you can rock and bounce, even while leaning over the side of the bed or whatever!

I hope all goes well with your friend!

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
#5 of 9 Old 01-19-2008, 06:37 AM

I pushed for a long time with DD (2.5 hours) and tried every position under the sun. Then my midwife started lightly threatening to transfer me to the hospital if I didn't get her out soon. NO WAY was I going to the hospital after all I went through to get my home birth, so that was the motivation I needed. I ended up giving birth on a birth stool. DH was sitting right behind me on a chair. That wasn't the greatest for him because he couldn't see what was going on, but really, who cares about him as long as you get the baby out.

I was having a lot of trouble getting her out and then found that it was much easier once I really sunk my butt down lower in the hole of the birthing stool. When I sat on top of it, maintaining about a 90 degree angle at my knees, it didn't work, but when I made it more like a squat, she finally came out.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#6 of 9 Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 AM

well i never got to actually push DS out (e-c setion) but just make sure she is aware (nobody ever told me this) that some women just can't sit. My friend recently layed in bed laboring the whole time, like TV.

I on the other hand, could not use a birthing ball, could not sit on the bed or ly on my side, i could not lean over pillows or the side of the bed. THE ONLY thing that i could bear was standing. FOR OVER 28 HOURS. So be prepared and rest a lot the week of EDD b/c you may need your energy. i was so exhausted, i even broke the towel bar off the wall (cemented in!) but no position but standing was working at all. Oh, except occasionally sitting on the toilet .
I am really nervous that is how it will be again.
#7 of 9 Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 AM

Standing leaning against kitchen counters worked well for me through labour although I was in a birthing pool leaning over the edge on my knees when I gave birth.

There must be a hundred ways to give birth, just do whatever feels comfortable at the time and have stuff like birthing balls etc handy.
All fours is often a position women feel comfortable in, or her husband could sit down somewhere and she could kneel in front of him leaning forwards onto his knee being supported that way?
#8 of 9 Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 AM

I couldn't sit either, I could kind of recline like a Roman with my DH supporting me, though. I pushed on hands and knees until Bear's shoulders got stuck. I pushed him out standing up braced on a four poster bed.
#9 of 9 Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Unfortunately I was on my back propped up. Most of the labor I was on all fours but the OB came in and on my back I went. With dd I thought it was the WAY to have to do it.

SO I am taking all these other ways into consideration this time!!! AND they will be tried no matter if the OB tels me to get on my back or not.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page